Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147567 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
Returned my Wii Fit Trainer today.

Why would you do that?

A Gamestop internal email has reiterated what a Canadian retailer had said earlier regarding the discontinuation of the Villager, Marth and Wii Fit Trainer Amiibos. Nintendo has had 3 chances to clear up any doubts and people still don't know what's going on. It also feels insane to discontinue figures(Marth, Villager) that have potential usage down the line with future games in their respective franchises.

Couple that with the rumor going around that GameStop is going to pull a "Xenoblade Chronicles" with the Shulk figurine. They'll order enough figurines to fulfil pre-orders, then once demand skyrockets, a new shipment of "used" figurines will arrive to be sold above MSRP.

Nintendo is screwing up the goodwill they managed to create with Amiibos.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »
Returned my Wii Fit Trainer today.

Why would you do that?

What else was I going to do?  All of the figures I want are (apparently) rare and expensive.  Wii Fit Trainer is (apparently) rare, but has relatively low demand. I could try to scalp it, or deal with PayPal to sell at cost to someone online with stupid shipping fees added in... but this way someone local will find the toy when it's put back on shelves and be super happy for Christmas.

(Ok, maybe it will just be a scalper who finds it and is happy. Hopefully not though.)

Nintendo is screwing up the goodwill they managed to create with Amiibos.

What goodwill is that exactly?  I haven't seen a lot of goodwill being earned with the way Amiibo has been handled at any level, but maybe I'm just missing something.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »
I find this entire discussion to be silly, but then again I live in Japan and Amiibo isn't being snapped up as quickly here.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
If Gamestop pulls that with Shulk then I'm going to be pissed.
****. They will probably do that.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »
I haven't even been looking but I did see a bunch of Amiibos at Hasting's yesterday. I haven't checked the video game stores. The main ones I am interested in are Mario, DK, Yoshi, Link, and Toad so I don't expect them to go anywhere anytime soon. After looking at the Mario figure yesterday I am not entirely sure that it is worth the asking price.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
The Mario figures aren't bad but there are so many alternatives for Mario figures that you can get.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2014, 05:00:30 AM »
I picked up my GameStop pre-order for the Zelda amiibo. For me, the figure looks fine considering the price. Then again, my recent experience with such things are with pricey model kits of 1/100 scale Gundams and Macross and $40 Nendoroids.

As for using Zelda in Smash U, it's a novel and handy thing to fill out the player count with a CPU character that I have some tangible attachment to. Customizing specials, feeding skills, and raising the level I find cute and endearing. Also, Zelda brings back gifts after a few rounds of matches!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:53 AM »
Shulk Amiibos are up for pre-order. I'm guessing in about an hour or two they'll be sold out, so hurry.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I pre-ordered Ike and Shulk since they are my top priority from wave 3. I'm trying to co-ordinate with my sister to collect all of them since I don't think I can afford to collect all of them at this time. Then we can at least secure the DLC they unlock. Our favorite figures all seem to be different so it may work out perfectly.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »
Amazon fucked me over on my captain falcon pre-order

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
Amazon fucked me over on my captain falcon pre-order

Darn... Sorry to read that. What happened?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2014, 10:15:54 PM »
Have you reached out to Amazon's customer support? Every time I have had an issue with Amazon or one of their marketplace vendors they have been fantastic in resolving my issue.
My Game Collection

Offline RedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
I made the pre-order on October 10th with a little Mac, little Mac shipped but Falcon didn't. I emailed them and said sorry will give you next day delivery. But look other people are selling it for 70 bucks. I'm going to try at target

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
You can't ask them to honor the purchase? I would continue to see if you can get them to find one for you while you hunt the other stores for him. Maybe we'll get a second run of wave 2 and they could honor it at that time?
My Game Collection

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »
So, now that there are guides and people have more experiences training their amiibos, what has everybody been doing? I reset my Kirby figure tonight and tried training him with more 1v1 mirror matches and matches against level 9 characters. Above all I just want him to be a little troll and taunt people after a KO.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 03:49:51 AM »
I thought Captain Falcon isn't coming out until the end of the month along with other Wave 2 stragglers. Did Amazon completely cancel the preorder?

As for training amiibo, I haven't gotten back to it. I'm focused on the single player content of Smash Bros. for Wii U and they don't allow amiibo as far as I know. An oversight, in my mind.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
I had also heard that the second half of wave 2 (Luigi, Pit, Captain Falcon) had been delayed. I've also heard that some places already received shipments and are already selling them. I wouldn't worry too much unless the order is outright cancelled.

Offline RedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »
I'll leave my order open and see what happens. Today Toys R Us cancelled all of my wave 3 pre-orders

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »
I picked up Big L at TRU Wednesday.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
I picked up Big L at TRU Wednesday.

See, now this is really starting to sound like drug deals.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2014, 05:23:34 AM »
I'll leave my order open and see what happens. Today Toys R Us cancelled all of my wave 3 pre-orders
And I was hoping I could limp along until January or at least the end of the month to pre-order Shulk. That might not be happening now. You know, for figures a lot of people saw as cash grabs, they seem to be selling extremely well.

Edit: Shulk Amiibo pre-ordered.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:05:28 PM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »
I find it kind of funny how people on the internet went from complaining that the quality of Amiibo was so poor that they weren't worth buying and that they're overpriced for what they are to complaining that they're selling out too quickly that they can't find them in stores.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
I find it kind of funny how people on the internet went from complaining that the quality of Amiibo was so poor that they weren't worth buying and that they're overpriced for what they are to complaining that they're selling out too quickly that they can't find them in stores.

Hmm... some people might have made those complaints.

Mine were more along the lines of:
(1) production models are significantly worse than display models, with some poor decisions (like Link's yellow stick) standing out as particularly unfortunate
(2) they are slightly overpriced, but that's not a huge surprise given the source
(3) distribution has been very poor and it's frustrating for anyone who doesn't want the main Nintendo mascots to be driven to an absolutely ridiculous scalper market to get the figures they want, while NoA and retailers make contradictory and unclear statements about whether specific figures will be reprinted/restocked

And which one of those complaints are wrong?   :confused;

Amiibo can official go **** itself at this point. I was skeptical from the start but still interested in picked up several figures that don't have nice Nintendo toys already available. But nearly every figure I had interest in collecting quickly turned into a "rare collector's item". If Nintendo isn't going to make enough stock available to meet demand then I'll just keep my money in my pocket rather than giving some profiteering scalper the time of day.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
I just want a Villager and I refuse to pay more coin than I have to to get it.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »
Again, ejamer, I wish you lived in Japan, where these things are extremely well-stocked and I could pick one off the shelf for you.

Actually. I could probably send you one of whatever you want, if you'd be willing to cover the shipping price. I don't care about the figure's price, they're nine dollars and three cents here. Plus you could get some spiffy Japanese packaging if you're into that sort of thing.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.