Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147580 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 12:57:45 AM »
Apparently Amiibos open the gate for metro in Moscow
http://instagram.com/p/v6oyAcitK-/

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 02:16:11 PM »
As previously stated, I've decided to only buy amiibo that offer good value (i.e. work across several different games), or that I think look really cool. Hopefully, those two things will overlap in the future.

At this moment, I find myself rather torn. I'm quite interested in the Wii Fit Trainer amiibo, which obviously doesn't fall into the value category. However, I do like the look of this particular amiibo, except for the clear plastic cast that helps connect her foot to the base. To be honest, I really don't like the look of any amiibo that have any type of support in that regard (Link, Fox, Captain Falcon, etc.). Meta Knight is the only one whose awesome look isn't really hindered by the support, in my opinion. Little Mac, Mega Man, and possibly even King Dedede, remain on my future purchase list.

The problem is, Wii Fit Trainer likely won't be available much longer. Should I indulge my mild interest, or save my $14 for future amiibos (and possibly regret my decision)?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
If you are getting it as a display figure your right Fitness Trainer is going to be rare.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
You only live once and you could die tomorrow.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
You only live once and you could die tomorrow.
That reminds me.   You did leave me your collection right Uncle Bob :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »
All video game related possessions belonging to be are bequeathed to Nintendo upon my death.

It's like digital downloads - I don't really own it, I'm just paying to use it and giving it back to them when I die.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »
Donate it to a Nintendo museum. They would dedicate a wing in your honor. Your portrait in the hall of donors can be a large nipple.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 10:43:03 PM »
Donate it to a Nintendo museum. They would dedicate a wing in your honor. Your portrait in the hall of donors can be a large nipple.
Just make Uncle Bob's house a Museum and skip a step.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »
I'm getting a Yoshi cos I like him. Plus he works in Smash/MK8/Yoshi's WW.

Ironically, I don't play as him in Smash though.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »
Spy novel: Deep cover spy smuggles secrets by placing data inside child's amiibo.

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
I'm getting a Yoshi cos I like him. Plus he works in Smash/MK8/Yoshi's WW.

Ironically, I don't play as him in Smash though.

Unless I'm mistaken, Yoshi is also slated to work with Mario Party 10. Yoshi is one of the few I've considered picking up because his model looks pretty good, and the potential value seems rather good.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
Why is there no "Nintendo Museum / Video Game Museum" in real life?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
There is at least one.

By my understanding the Nintendo Store sort of works like one for Nintendo.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 01:58:24 PM »
There is at least one.

By my understanding the Nintendo Store sort of works like one for Nintendo.

You're right, although its really small but it is there.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
I've heard of some independent game museums across the country. Looks like there is one in Frisco.

http://www.vghmuseum.org/
http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/21/6742881/videogame-history-museum-location-national-frisco
http://www.museumofplay.org/about/icheg

Also, here in Seattle the Jimi Hendrix Music Project (music museum) has a wing currently open for indie gaming. Included old and current titles on a rotating schedule.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline emceeamg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 04:41:50 PM »
I spent 30 minutes in a Black Friday queue in Game just to pick up an amiibo. I purchased Smash the day before on impulse at Tesco and thought I'd grab an amiibo to see just what they would do. I finally got to the till and opted for a Yoshi cos his amiibo is probably the coolest looking one out so far and took him home.
I then had to try and explain to my wife and mother in law what the hell it was. The mother in law was very confused, "What is it? What does it do? Does it light up? Do its arms move?" "It does stuff in my games when I put it on the controller (now sod off and let me try it)" Wife - "£12? You say the babies toys are a rip off and you paid £12 for that? It's arms don't even move! The box says its for Smash Bros, you don't even have Smash Bros? Me - (lie) "No I don't but it works with Mario Kart and other games too".

So I managed to lie about not owning Smash and then went on to rip it from it's packaging. Screw packaging it looks better out the box and my now 6 month old son will no doubt destroy it in time when I'm not looking anyway. To those of you who are annoyed that it won't work when it's still in the box, be fair, Nintendo had to make it that way. Otherwise people would be buying them, unlocking in game features at home, then returning them to the store.

I stealthily swapped Smash out of the disc drive and put Mario Kart in and went to the amiiibo section. I placed my Yoshi on the gamepad and got a new Yoshi skin. Oh no wait, no I didnt, I got a Yoshi racing suit for my Mii, who the hell wants to race as their Mii, Yoshi suit or not? Meh

Then I went back to Smash, here it's more worthwhile I think. You can train you amiibo to fight alongside you or against you or something like that. I still don't really get why. So I made my custom amiibo Yoshi. He's a red Yoshi, I called him Roshi (I know I'm a frigging genius) and now I have him fight in Smash. Only problem is to select him I have to tap the amiibo on the gamepad on the character select screen, which I'm sure will get tedious soon and I have to tap him on again to save his progress after the smashing is over. Then you can upgrade his stats, I had him eat all the upgrades, but (I may be wrong here) they didn't seem to accumulate on top of each other, I think each one just replace the last, if so how on earth can I max out those stat bars?

I've yet to try it in Hyrule Warriors, but I expect I'll just get some rupees added and I'm done with that game anyway. The Mario Kart feature was beyond pointless and like most things in Smash it's use in there was just confusing. Still he does look cool on my shelf and I'm sure I'll be getting some more for Christmas, not from my wife she doesn't buy me things I actually want, but I think my sister bought me a couple already.

I'd be really shocked if a skylanders-esqe game doesn't come out in the next year or so, or at least I would be if this wasn't a Nintendo product, but I do hope one does. Part of me is also kind of tempted to buy Wii Fit trainer, despite me not liking the "character" or the figurine, just because it may become rare, but it's pointless because I'll take it out of its packaging anyway!

I'm hooked already though, this is going to get expensive I'm sure!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »
emceeamg:  Stats balance in Smash.  If you look at the right of the item you'll see how much it pluses and minusses from a stat.

Take my Peach for example.

I fed her Brawn so it took down here defense.  Plus there is special abilities on some items.  My Peach will always start with a Fire Flower for example.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Is unclebob the proud owner of the double blaster samus?

Offline emceeamg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 01:42:08 AM »
Thanks ceric, I'll get it sussed out soon enough I'm sure

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
The mother in law was very confused, "What is it? What does it do? Does it light up? Do its arms move?" "It does stuff in my games when I put it on the controller (now sod off and let me try it)" Wife - "£12? You say the babies toys are a rip off and you paid £12 for that? It's arms don't even move! The box says its for Smash Bros, you don't even have Smash Bros? Me - (lie) "No I don't but it works with Mario Kart and other games too".

The Mario Kart feature was beyond pointless and like most things in Smash it's use in there was just confusing. Still he does look cool on my shelf and I'm sure I'll be getting some more for Christmas, not from my wife she doesn't buy me things I actually want, but I think my sister bought me a couple already.

Nintendo Marriage Support Report  :D
Luckily my wife didn't protest too much, probably because she likes Yoshi as much as me! But yeah, any more than one and she'd probably be like "what are you doing with all these toys?"

I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
Just got an email from Best Buy that my pre-order (three Wave 2 Amiibo) is set for this Sunday.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
I saw a tip on CAG Canada that Nintendo removed the street date for wave 2. Sure enough, when I walked into Wal-Mart this morning, I was able to pick myself up a Little Mac. Diddy Kong was also available. There were only two of each! Get out there and get those amiibos, now!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »
I got another email from Best Buy. It seems half of Wave 2 has a shipping delay. My pre-orders of Captain Falcon and Pit won't be releasing until December 30. Thankfully, Little Mac I can pick up tomorrow still.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2014, 10:04:08 PM »
I am very interested in picking up a Samus Amiibo after having a good experience with Link and Mario. However, I managed to see one recently and I didn't pick it up because... Well, it looked like ****, honestly. I am going to hold out because it was the only one they had and I'm hoping there was a reason for that.

Has anyone picked up a nice looking Samus? The pain on this one was just extremely sloppy and the pose looked a bit warped.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »
Returned my Wii Fit Trainer today.

Thought about the "3 for $30" deal at Toys R Us, but couldn't find three Amiibo figures I wanted. Villager, Pit, Kirby, and Little Mac all look awesome. The only one of those figures actually in stock at any stores in my city was Kirby.

Then I thought about grabbing Zelda and Link along with Kirby, with the idea that Sheik would be a good addition later... but just not that keen on buying into Amiibo when the figures I really want aren't going to be available.

The sad part is that I'll probably still try to grab the Shulk figure if I can find one. Why?  I honestly don't know at this point.
NNID: ejamer