Author Topic: Let's Talk Amiibo!  (Read 147595 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Let's Talk Amiibo!
« on: November 21, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »

Went by Toys R' Us at launch where they had Amiibo for 3 for $30 so I picked up 3.

Got Pikachu, Samus, and Princess Peach.

First impression is that they look nice.  I'm sure not E3 nice but still nicer than Skylanders.  I also met the Nashville Nintendo Rep but I didn't get her contact info.

At least in my area Samus was the hottest seller but, there was a good supply of some of the other ones.

I couldn't find a thread just for general Amiibo talk so feel free to share you thoughts as you get figures.

Also without trying I got into a conversation with a good amount of the clerks who are getting Amiibos.  I honestly don't think all of them had WiiUs.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Amiibo!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »

Kirby Amiibo looks alright. It doesn't have annoying plastic supports which is already a plus. It's pretty decent plastic, never had Skylanders or Disney Infinity figurines so I can't compare. You can notice in the photo the "seam' where the bottom part of the figurine joins with the top part of his body. It goes under his arms, then back up to about halfway around his back.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
That is a bit Sloppy on the Kirby Figurine.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
I stopped by Wal-Mart on my way home from work to check them out. Sadly, there we only about six hanging on hooks near the actual Wii U games -- the rest were on a shelf several aisles over and facing the back wall. While they had quite a few of them, they didn't seem to have a terribly large selection. It seemed like they had an abundance of the figures they thought would be popular, which were Mario, Link, Peach, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Pikachu, and then several copies of Fox and Samus as well. I only saw one copy each of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, but they were on a restocking shelf near the department register.

I thought the figures looked pretty neat -- neat enough to convince me to purchase Little Mac when he is released in a couple of weeks. I really liked the packaging, which I am going to try very carefully to preserve by using an xacto knife to slit open so I can slide the figure out.

At this time, I only plan on buying the figures that I think are either very cool, or a really good value. Right now, it seems that Link is probably the best value, as he offers the best functionality between three games -- Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and of course, Smash Bros. It seems like this sort of stuff will be constantly changing though, so I'll have to keep an eye on it. As of this moment, I plan on purchasing the aforementioned Little Mac, Mega Man, Shulk, and possily Meta Knight and Toon Link.

Also, can you register these suckers on Club Nintendo? You really ought to be able to...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:19:13 PM by Retro Deckades »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
The lack of an ability to use these in game without opening then annoys me greatly. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
I have to say that my Son likes the Amiibo quite a bit.  That probably why he is playing the games.  Now that I have them out I like all the models I have and dang Samus has little nooks and crannies all over and a Nice metallic paint job.  As a figure alone this is not an overly premium price point.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:10:07 AM »
Ok, It's a ripoff

/thread

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 12:39:13 AM »
The lack of an ability to use these in game without opening then annoys me greatly. :(

You'll just have to buy two of each. One for show and one for play. ;)

I'd love to pick a few up but I already blew most of my gaming budget for the year. Still on the fence about "catching them all" and just getting the ones I like or have higher value.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
So I was looking at the WiiU Quick Start screen and the add they had in the little top banner for Amiibo said:

"Unlock the Power thats inside"

I'm sitting there going there is a whole generation who will finish that with the Pokemon Theme Song...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
I got Link and Samus.  Pretty easy to set them up, and I let them join in on my first 8-player smash.

I went to a Best Buy looking for them, and I think all the ones they had were pre-ordered.  Target seemed to have a good amount (enough to not need to check with Gamestop).  I find it weird that Link has a colored support post, but most others seem to be clear.  Samus just had the plastic under the feet, so it's not even that noticeable.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 08:39:58 PM »
Ok, It's a ripoff

/thread

Oh look, can't be a thread about a game with figurines without pokepal shitting all over it.

Playful jest aside, I didn't intend on picking any up, but after seeing them in store, my curiosity got the best of me and I picked up a Kirby amiibo.  I'm surprised it was so easy to see where the seam is where I assume the different pieces got glued together near the bottom of Kirby's body.  That said, I was more curious about their interactivity and ability to "learn" while leveling up to 50.

He's at level 10 for us so far, and while he's a glorified punching bag for me, he's providing plenty of challenge for my wife, who is a big novice in Smash Bros.  I've read some people lamenting how their Amiibo's are kicking their ass at level 50, i'm interested to see how that turns out for me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:45:32 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 09:14:30 PM »
Kirby is by far the worst of the figurines as a figurine.  Which is odd because he's so simple.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 11:12:45 PM »
To me, it's his pose.  I already have a plush of him in that pose (because when I saw it at the store it made me happy and I'm an adult and I do not need your judgement).  I think his "hiiiiii!" pose (with the waving) would've been better.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:25:17 AM »
Saw a bunch of Amiibo figures at the mall this weekend. They look better than I had expected based on the internet backlash, but not as good as I had secretly hoped when announced.

Not buying any because I don't yet own or have plans to own any of the games they work in... but would consider picking up a few characters at some point when that changes.  We'll probably end up with one for me and one for each kid; three figures seems like plenty of Amiibo for our household.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »
To me, it's his pose.  I already have a plush of him in that pose (because when I saw it at the store it made me happy and I'm an adult and I do not need your judgement).  I think his "hiiiiii!" pose (with the waving) would've been better.
That would have been a good one or maybe one of the more interest Kirby modes.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
I might track down a used one for Link but only because Nintendo thinks they deserve my money for locking major content like a new weapon behind physical goods.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I have the feeling that the Villager and Wii Fit trainer are going to be one of the ones that will be only available for a short time. Since other than SSB they don't have any games that they work with.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 05:08:02 PM »
When I picked up my Smash today, the clerk mentioned that there are "super rare amiibo". He mentioned a dual arm canon Samus (arm canon on both arms) among some other variants. Normally I would have shrugged it off as poppycock but I would like to know if anybody else have heard anything about this? Maybe these are misprints or some other goof.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 05:20:11 PM »
Oooh, misprints could be a fun collection.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »
I said I would only get one Amiibo. I did, but then I went to another store and got two more... then one more after that.

Curse you, Nintendo.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
After hearing this earlier today I had talked to a friend and indeed there is a misprinted Samus out there among some other things.

EDIT: IT HAS BEGUN...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Factory-Sealed-Defect-Samus-Amiibo-Dual-Cannons-RARE-/171555687750

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
Has anyone picked up Marth? I kinda want him but I'm hesitant to buy any more after getting a shoddy Kirby figure.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »
I'm only getting Link used for the stupid spinner.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »
Has anyone picked up Marth? I kinda want him but I'm hesitant to buy any more after getting a shoddy Kirby figure.
I've seen the figure up close. The sword is cheap, but looks fine otherwise.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 12:24:30 AM »
Face looks a little anime.