Author Topic: PlayStation Vita TV -- Say what!?  (Read 22138 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita TV -- Say what!?
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
Not always. At work when I talk to people they are always buying a 22"-32" for their bedroom or guest room. In their living room? A 40"-60".

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »
So this is pretty much the GB player except that some games are accessible?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
Nah. It can also stream PS4 games. If you have a good enough internet connection, that means two PS4's basically.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
Nah. It can also stream PS4 games. If you have a good enough internet connection, that means two PS4's basically.
No it means a PS4 can support 2 different TVs.  I seriously doubt that if my wife is using the PS4 for Netflix in the Living Room and I go to play Knack in the bedroom that the system will let me even though I'm sure Netflix is a nothing app for the PS4 especially if it can tap into the Streaming hardware.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
No, bud, you're wrong. They showed off that feature in the fucking commercial for the thing.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
No, bud, you're wrong. They showed off that feature in the fucking commercial for the thing.
What part I don't remember seeing it.

IF it can stream 2 Different PS4 Activities at the same time thats pretty impressive and makes me wonder how much of the PS4 is really available to developers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
Though I will say that if it only supports HDMI that it is partially hindering the market for it.  Your non-main TV is normally your old TV.

Ooh... Good point. Our house is this way.

But I'd bet that people who are early adopters for PS4 would be more likely to have secondary TVs with HDMI support.  For people like us, it would probably get set up on the main TV anyway.  So maybe not a huge problem, although it certainly will affect people who are interested in the hardware a low-cost gaming/streaming solution.

Really?  That would be a huge selling point for people buying a PS4 in my opinion.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
Ok, I know the part of the commercial your talking about.

The family is watching Netflix on the PS Vita TV because when the son's friends come over he turns on his PS4.  Before that the PS4 is off.  He turns on the PS4 then it shows a diagram of the PS4 going to the Vita TV then Streaming to another TV in totally different room.  If I took that diagram at face value a Vita TV playing Netflix could Stream a game from the PS4 to a TV without a Vita TV.  Which to be honest would be pretty cool.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/rqvhi

This diagram helps understand how it works.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
Yeah, that diagram supports my conclusion.  The PS4 can only be used for 1 thing at a time.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »
Someone walk me off the edge here.

Playstation TV - and to a lesser degree, PS Vita - is clearly a failure, but Walmart is clearing out the bundle package (includes PS3 controller, 8 GB memory card and Lego game) for $50 and I keep thinking that despite the many limitations it would be a good way to ensure my pretty sizable collection of digital PSP/PSOne Classic games is easily accessible and playable on TV without huge borders going forward. Getting access to a handful of compatible Vita games that appeal to me would be icing.

Am I a sucker for even thinking about this?   :-\

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »
That seems like a good deal. I'm a big Vita fan, though a lot of that is the portability, which this obviously wouldn't have. Hell, the controller on its own would run you almost that much.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2015, 11:39:32 PM »
So they're selling the BUNDLE at the same price as the Dualshock 3?

...if you don't buy that, I will. I need an extra PS3 controller, if nothing else.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2015, 12:08:44 AM »
I bought this piece of **** back when Amazon had a lightning deal for it a few months ago, and I essentially use it for filling out my PS Classics and to pick up the random titles that pop up on flash sales, etc. A lot of the classics have pretty glaring frame rate issues and can be aggravating to play, and I've yet to pick up an actual Vita game for the system because the compatibility list is so spotty and most of the best games are not actually playable on it. Still, it was 45 bucks, and I got to experience the wonder of dealing with PSN's awful fund-adding system, so I'm no entirely disappointed in it. I'll probably feel much more positive when I start playing through Vagrant Story.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
I actually want one for the sake of Persona 4 Golden. And...well....that is it.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »
I actually want one for the sake of Persona 4 Golden. And...well....that is it.

Yep: Persona 4 Golden is the big draw for me too, but there are a couple of other games I'm interested in too (Dragon's Crown, Tales of Hearts R, maybe the Walking Dead games) and they seem to all be pretty cheap.  If it were just for Vita games, there would be no way I could justify the purchase though.

... A lot of the classics have pretty glaring frame rate issues and can be aggravating to play, ...

That sounds worrying - some games, most, all?  Any specific examples?

That seems like a good deal. I'm a big Vita fan, though a lot of that is the portability, which this obviously wouldn't have. Hell, the controller on its own would run you almost that much.

For me, TV play of my existing PSN content is a bigger draw than access to Vita games. I can use my PSP Go (which I love due to small size) for portable gaming easy enough and there aren't really enough games on Vita that I can't get elsewhere to draw me in.  Note that PSP Go does decent TV output via composite or component, but PSP games don't get scaled very well and have huge bars around all edges.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2015, 12:03:07 PM »
Two of the many PS classics I've played have had heavy stuttering in some shape or form, though Vagrant Story has had far less than Symphony of the Night. However, a PS1 classic like SotN should NOT have stutters. I'll continue playing to let you I so my thoughts.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
...if you don't buy that, I will. I need an extra PS3 controller, if nothing else.

Confirmed the $50 CAD price at our local Walmart - they have 3 left after I bought one. Try checking locally and maybe you can find the same deal, or wait and see which other retailers are dumping the system.

(If you really want I could grab one for you here... but shipping would kill any value.)

Not opening it just yet because I want to do a bit more research before making it unreturnable... Evan's comments in particular about poor PSOne Classics performance is worrisome, although I suppose many of the games I want to play are RPGs so shouldn't be that badly affected... maybe?
 :-\

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:52 PM »
Worse case scenario I'm fairly sure you could use it as a media device.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2015, 12:32:47 AM »
-- Say what!? (lol)
somebody cheated!
Waluigi and wario reference!
Made you look ****.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »
Opened and set up the Playstation TV (patience: not my strong suit) and things look good so far.

Downloaded The Lego Movie game that came with the bundle and... wow... that game is garbage. Are my expectations too high after playing Lego City, or are portable Lego games just throwaway efforts?

Regardless, very pleased with (brief) tests of PSP gaming on the big screen and looking forward to playing Persona 3 Portable and several other RPGs that way.

Looking deeper into actual Vita game compatibility has been disappointing. A bunch of games that looked interesting aren't compatible (Ys was a real disappointment) but that's not really a surprise. 

Planning on grabbing a few cheapie Vita games this weekend: Dragon's Crown and Freedom Wars are available locally so top the list, and Persona 4 Golden will come soon enough.  Anyone played them before? Would love hearing comments if so.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »
Listed in the "what have you bought recently" thread also, but to keep PS TV discussion here I grabbed these games this weekend:

* Dragon's Crown
* Freedom Wars
* Muramasa - Rebirth
* Persona 4 Golden
* Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
* The Walking Dead: Complete Season 1

Trying to find a copy of Tales of Hearts R, but that's not going so well.  Also interested in a few other games that aren't yet compatible with PS TV but had developers/publishers make vague promises about support (maybe) coming eventually... not too keen on buying games for a dead accessory based on vague promises though.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »
I"m a big fan of Sly Cooper.  If you've played any of the others before, I think you'll enjoy that one.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2015, 01:19:01 AM »
I"m a big fan of Sly Cooper.  If you've played any of the others before, I think you'll enjoy that one.

Thieves in Time is, indeed, excellent, but if possible play it on PS3 instead. It just looks incredible on console.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:27 AM »

Haven't played the series before, but for years it's one of the Sony franchises that I was most interested in.

I've started playing with my kids and am very happy - the gameplay isn't mind-blowing, but it's enjoyable and the art style is gorgeous. Very pleased with this impulse buy; wishing that the Sly Cooper Collection was compatible with PSTV (although not really surprised to see it isn't).

Edit:
Yay! My copy of Tales of Hearts R arrived today. There were something like 3 copies listed country-wide at EB Games Canada, so very pleased they were able to get one brought in. Always kind of disappointed that this game never came out on DS, this makes up for that entirely.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:34:37 PM by ejamer »