Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X: Life on Mira.  (Read 125473 times)

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X: Welcome to Mira!
« Reply #325 on: January 09, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
So uh....the Chapter 10 Boss? I was told over and over by friends who hard the boss was, how everyone needed a Skell, etc. I went in with a lvl 50 Skell, just one. It was a joke. 99% of the attacks missed and the ones that connected did less then 100 dmg. It was a very sad thing to see.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 09, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »
Considering it's a level 39 boss, I can see how going in there with even one level 50 Skell would make it a cakewalk. Most people probably didn't do that and going in there with a full team of level 30s still means everyone can get wrecked (whereas it's probably very difficult to have it that happen to a level 50).

In my experience having just one level 50 for myself made even the final chapter fairly easy. It makes a bigger difference than you'd think.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2016, 12:22:41 AM »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2016, 03:27:22 AM »
Everyone wants a piece of that Skell.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 10, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
Phoenix Wings is OP as hell

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »
And the Amdusias has thermal boosts on top of that. It's gonna be an easy path to level 50

Offline Ninferno

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2016, 03:04:59 AM »
R will cycle through the targeted enemy in a battle.

hold R + Y (switch to the left enemy) or A (right) to have a bit more control, if you will.

I only found out about things like this by reading the manual after beating the game, and I was like why wasn't these explained in the game!

Offline Ninferno

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2016, 03:32:16 AM »
Water Purification quest line is awesome, as are the Professor B and Church/Equality lines of the game. The quests add a lot of character and depth to the story, and though they don't factor much into the overall narrative of the game its still nice that Monolith seems to have diversified their quest lines since the original Xenoblade.

Yeah, some of the normal missions are really good. While affinity missions are normally more about party members (most of which are bland, sadly), normal missions revolve more around the residents of NLA and Mira, be it humans or aliens or both. Their living experience, co-existence and interactions adds so much in the game's world building effort, making NLA a believably vibrant place to indulge in. It's real shame that cut scenes of normal missions are not voiced and when shown with lengthy texts with a million words many gamer might feel inclined to skip. Sure, there are cost and disc space limitations but still, a real shame.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 13, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »
I only found out about things like this by reading the manual after beating the game, and I was like why wasn't these explained in the game!

If you held down the R button, the target left and target right descriptor will show on the control information box on the right. Also, the manual is in the game!

Mild snark aside, I find it the better alternative for such things be left for the player to discover.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2016, 04:25:56 AM »
Just got in my first run at the Global Nemesis, Yggralith Zero, today. Gloriously nuts! I had little idea what was going on, but it seems the rest of my party were in a long Overdrive Chain. Yggralith seemed to have regenerating health, but then I realized that's RP being taken away from it. In the end, they party I was in took 283 RP from Yggralith Zero.

You need BLADE medals to get in to the Global Nemesis Squad Missions, and those come from doing Squad Tasks and/or Squad Missions.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
I've dabbled just a bit in the game since getting back from a business trip.  I've plodded my way to the entrance of the fallen ship/colony.  Gameplay is pretty reminiscent to me of Final Fantasy XII (probably more current references than that, my most current one), although my time has been limited and I expect the combat to develop a bit.

Anyone have general tips for someone who will probably be picking away at this 1/2 hr - 1 hr a night?  Don't have the luxury of setting down a 2-3 hour chunk of time with my current schedule, expect it might make it difficult to make progress in this game.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
Got the Ares 90 post-game Skell a couple days ago and... holy crap. It's really cool, it's super badass, and as amazingly game-breaking as I was told it would be, but also as much of a grind as I was told it would be. Unless you've already gotten close to maxing out all the systems by the time you get to the post-game, it's gonna take a while. If you want to build it (or any high level post-game Skell for that matter), get to Blade level 10 ASAP to increase your reward ticket capacity to 9,999 and start saving/farming those immediately. You're gonna need a lot of them.

Anyone have general tips for someone who will probably be picking away at this 1/2 hr - 1 hr a night?  Don't have the luxury of setting down a 2-3 hour chunk of time with my current schedule, expect it might make it difficult to make progress in this game.

Get through the first three story chapters as quickly as possible. If memory serves, the first two chapters should be doable in an hour each, but the third might be a bit longer. At this point you can at least start installing data probes and explore Mira, which is probably the best use of your time in short bursts. That way when you do have more time, you can jump into the story without having to worry about clearing the requirements for story missions (since you need certain percentages of Mira or a specific continent explored to accept the later ones). Also, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with what the icons on the segment map mean (http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Segment_Map).

Thought of another one: when your Blade level goes up the first couple of times, upgrade your mechanical field skill instead of biological or archaeological. You'll get more mileage out of a level three mechanical field skill early in the game since a lot of data probe installation sites require a mechanical field skill higher than level one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:09:15 AM by Oedo »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »
Chapter 3 of the story isn't too much longer than the previous two. Actually, all the story chapters I've played so far (finished Ch. 7) are pretty short affairs. It's getting their prerequisites that take a long time.

This game can be played in short (1-2 hour) chunks, but it requires forethought from the player. Don't treat missions from the Mission Board in the BLADE Concourse as important. Just load up on bounties so that if you happen to come across a quest target, you'll get something extra. Most of the gathering missions are best saved until you possess the materials on hand. However, some gathering missions are unique (i.e. non-RNG) drops that the Follow Ball will show you. It's hard to tell these gathering missions apart, but you should be able to figure them out as you play the game and look at the Collectopedia.

Of important note, do accept the missions tagged as social where the quest objective is to meet a person. These quests direct you to Normal missions or new party members. On that new party member line, do accept a gathering quest that has you looking for 10 natural pearls (there are no natural pearls to gather, from what I've seen).

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2016, 01:47:28 AM »
Well, I grinded to level 16 from 14 to beat the tentacle head lady (and really bulldozed that fight, the level differences in this game are dramatic), and am now stuck on an affinity mission objective to kill a particular creature type I haven't seen yet in Primordia. I guess I'll have to consult a guide, though I dislike that feeling. Is this something the follow ball would help with?

For people further along than Chapter 4, is there much of a point in swapping out part members much? I feel like there are too many people hanging around to keep track of, and it's a pain in the ass to manually swap them in on top of that. Is it advisable to just keep Elma and Lin and occasionally switch out the fourth slot?

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2016, 02:17:13 AM »
The Follow Ball should be helpful in tracking down quest-important monsters. Unless you have to get a drop from said monster which makes things more difficult.

The make of your party is up to you. I wouldn't worry about leaving potential party members behind as it is extremely quick to level up a low-leveled member by using a Skell to defeat high-level enemies. I think it's more fun to switch around your party as much as possible, but there are a lot of story missions that require you to use Elma and Lin. Make sure to use Gwin enough to raise affinity with him to a full heart. A Story Mission requires an Affinity Mission that requires affinity with Gwin.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »
I forgot the Follow Ball existed.

Also the Blood Lobster segment, while funny, is also irritating due to the appearances at different times of the day.

A Story Mission requires an Affinity Mission that requires affinity with Gwin.

Oh ****. I don't like him and haven't even used him at all.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2016, 09:26:54 PM »
I kinda just have the blood lobster thing as a background quest at this point. Just walk around NLA, "Oh, there's one"

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 16, 2016, 03:07:56 AM »
I forgot the Follow Ball existed.

Also the Blood Lobster segment, while funny, is also irritating due to the appearances at different times of the day.

A Story Mission requires an Affinity Mission that requires affinity with Gwin.

Oh ****. I don't like him and haven't even used him at all.

Different Lobsters in different times of the day. I should've figured that.

Gwin is an alright guy. Then again, I'm tolerant of all of the possible party members so far, even H.B. I do seem to have a higher tolerance for a wide variety of character tropes/types. I mean, I'm not that annoyed by Tatsu. Then again, it has been dozens of hours since I've seen and heard Tatsu.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 19, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
So I'm killing grinding time before I take on the chapter 10 boss (seriously, level 30 Skells are garbage against that thing), and I discovered the entirety of the Orphe, Prone, and... uh, the Voltage xeno quest lines. Not only is it fleshing out the world and NLA so much more, but it's funny to see how these different races handle each other. Or in the Prone case, not at all. Many of their quest lines seem to have a human focus, not Ma-non, Orphe, or Voltage guys. Though there is that only ridiculous Orphe/Prone tree quest. I also see that Monolith made the soft online features essentially an opt-out for some of the ridiculous material drop quests, which suits me JUST fine. I understand that, if I were more of a nut job, I'd bow to their will and go out and hunt these things myself, but I have done that for about three or four quests and I can't even describe how mind-numbingly dull it is. I'm glad they included the feature and I think it works well with the online nature of the game.

I am enjoying the game more and more, to the point where I said "I love this game" out loud when given a particularly hilarious dialogue option. So good job on the localization, I guess. The core gameplay is as solid as ever and now that I have my ideal weapon set (Longsword/Sniper Rifle), I'm making a dedicated build for it. However, I will eventually cover the other class trees for their skill slots and because I'm an outfitter.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 22, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
I've also started this monster, so look for me soon! I feel the game has taken several steps back from the original in terms of ease of play, which is pretty disappointing, so it's been slow going, but it's starting to get better.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 24, 2016, 04:11:49 AM »
There's nothing quite like slowly menacing your way through a Ganglion base on foot, climb the tallest tower, and prepare to take out the top Marnuck there. And then suddenly, have the Marnuck be knocked off the tower, causing an area-of-effect art to attract another enemy. You jump down to finish the fallen Marnuck, only to attract more enemies and a tyrant. Wait, make that two tyrants. The opening riffs of "Uncontrollabe" start to play. You order the rest to board to Skells as you race to get in your own to tackle the new crowd. You ignite the ultimate in crowd control as your Phoenix Wings burn all enemies in the furball as your party's health goes in the red. Somehow, you make it through the mess with your party's Skells intact and a whole lot of spoils to sift through. Now, I'll grant you that I was over leveled for the area, but it was so thrilling to have all that happen.

Also, I dinged BLADE Level 10 (the max level) as a Mediator at the 160 hour mark. This is not a statement of pride. The last set of decals you get are cool and cute.

Past the many little annoyances of the game, my biggest disappointment with Xenoblade Chronicles X is shaping up to be how disjointed and slight the story is so far. Counting the 4 characters that were DLC for Japan, their are 18 potential party members in the game. From what I can tell, at most they have three Affinity Missions for each of them. I've yet to complete a character's arc ('cause I'm being stupid and grinding and wandering a whole lot), but I haven't seen and don't see a great story coming out from so little time. It is very possible that the final Affinity Missions for the characters (as well as the Story Missions) have things really popping, but then it's still a bummer that the big narrative pay offs are held back for so long. I'm past Chapter 8 (that's the big siege of NLA for those that have dogged the preview coverage) and, due to the technical limitations of how the game presents its story as well as the story itself, I'm kinda bummed that I'm not really feeling it from the grand story or some of the Affinity Missions as much as I would like. So far, the best narrative moments of this game have been from a couple stand-out Normal Missions that get the bare minimum of production values.

My main and most consistent enjoyment of Xenoblade Chronicles X has been watching my numbers get bigger, my databases being completed, my map being filled out, and my kill board being more marked. That's fine with me since I'm clearly wired for that. But looking back on how much a love the story and the characters of Xenoblade Chronicles... it is a letdown in that regard.

Also, I will totally concede that I'm spending way too much time between Story Missions and foolishly grinding level 3-4 Affinity Levels. The Affinity one is especially egregious of me as you get so few from completing Basic Missions and the post-story end game has Support Missions at the Network Console that drastically boosts Affinity gain.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:56 PM »
I'm kinda bummed that I'm not really feeling it from the grand story or some of the Affinity Missions as much as I would like. So far, the best narrative moments of this game have been from a couple stand-out Normal Missions that get the bare minimum of production values.
And then the game engine happens to make it foggy in Sylvalum when you confront the black skell after giving someone turn by turn directions in Cauldros and it's just brilliant.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:22:14 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:44 AM »
Phoenix wings is the best weapon ever.

I have found the side quests of the game to be so much more engaging than the main story. And I don't mean affinity quests or quests obtained at Blade Concourse. The NPC quests are just so filled with charm and interesting plot developments (especially when you gather all of the alien races in NLA) that it's hard to resist running around the city at every opportunity in case one has popped up. I try to clear out BLADE quests before I do that, though.

Some of the affinity quests are quite nice, though. The other party members are a large and varied group of individuals and it's been interesting getting to know them. The large amount also means I don't have to care about lame characters like Gwin and focus on those like Irina, Nagi, and Celica.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 25, 2016, 01:57:44 AM »
I finally got the ground mech today, and excitedly jumped to a region of Primordia to screw around with it. I got past those grex guard dogs that are blocking a bridge to a probe site, and was delighted. Then I tried to fight a level 45 spider-thing which killed my team and then destroyed my mech before I ran away. Then I realized that the mech I was given was a disposable power-up and turned the game off. Like, the fuel gauge is restrictive enough of an element to tie to the mech in a game with no running stamina . . .

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 25, 2016, 02:14:55 AM »
The first Skell they give you is a level 20 one, I believe. That's the weakest frame in the entire game, and I don't even think you can purchase a Skell with an armor level below 30. Also, the build (what weapons you equip) is very important. I started with a light Skell that lowered resistance to Beam damage with melee and used ranged Beam attacks to carve out holes from enemies, but eventually I switched to a heavy Skell frame that was made to draw aggro and bind enemies. Now I'm using a medium Skell frame that's just a nice, solid set.

As for fuel, it only diminishes in combat or aerial flight, and it's really not so bad for the first 20 hours you have a Skell. You can always replenish it with Miranium, or if you're getting low, explore on foot or even turn the game off, as the Skell will regain its fuel while you're away.

But yeah, the first thing I did was buy my OWN frame, because the one they give you for free is garbage.