Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250149 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #450 on: April 08, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
Personally, I don't get the point of smart watches.

Apparently, neither does Apple.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #451 on: April 08, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
I think the rankings go tool, power tool, and tool that can buy and sell you on a whim so don't bother fucking with them.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 08, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »
It will be a good way to identify people who are tools.
HAHAHA

But seriously, nobody "Gets" smart watches. They are all products without a purpose heavily restricted by form factor.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #453 on: April 08, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
Yosemite update is available today, and the new photos app is officially launched. 

I am really curious to see how it works.  Everything I have read has said it is better than iphoto but nowhere near as nice as Aperture.  I am OK with that.  At any rate, I am looking forward to the eventual plug-ins that make backing up to 3rd party cloud support easier.   

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 08, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
Vox has a pretty article regarding Apple Watch.

While the reviews may not be very positive, history shows that Apple could still have a hit on its hands... eventually. Apple has made the best smartwatch even if it still isn't very good at what it's meant to do.

Granted, I still don't want one, I still don't care, and I probably never will on both counts even if the third or fourth generation is awesome. Regardless, I wouldn't bet against Apple at this point. Good for Apple. I'm more interested in an iPod Touch refresh. iPhone 6S Plus will be too big for running (flip-flopped on the Plus model, battery life matters to me). This is pretty much my solution.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #455 on: April 08, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »
Well, if I remember correctly...the iphone wasn't great at what it did when it was released the first time either. 

I think Apple is entering the market with a good, albeit overpriced watch for what the technology can do now.  However, what the technology can do now is pretty limited...and Apple limits it more, by making it trapped in the Apple infrastructure. 

This seems like a companion product than a product that could survive on its own, and that is a problem in my eyes. 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 08, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
At first I thought that this would make people more human, i.e. less distracted by technology. Having a smaller screen where you can only view and reply with short messages seems like the best way to stop people from laying their phones at the lunch table and checking them periodically. But now I think they'll do the exact opposite. I think people will become so fucking distracted now that they can look at another screen almost instantly.

Still, not all people are technological douchebags, but that still doesn't make the watch useful. I've given a few ideas in this thread before so I won't rewrite my thoughts. I will say this though......you still need your phone. It doesn't work without your phone and that's why it sucks. I don't know about you, but I would like to leave my expensive 600 dollar phone at home when I don't truly need it and take my watch as my main mode of communications. You can't even leave your phone at home when you're going for a run.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #457 on: April 08, 2015, 11:49:54 PM »
At first I thought that this would make people more human, i.e. less distracted by technology. Having a smaller screen where you can only view and reply with short messages seems like the best way to stop people from laying their phones at the lunch table and checking them periodically. But now I think they'll do the exact opposite. I think people will become so fucking distracted now that they can look at another screen almost instantly.

Still, not all people are technological douchebags, but that still doesn't make the watch useful. I've given a few ideas in this thread before so I won't rewrite my thoughts. I will say this though......you still need your phone. It doesn't work without your phone and that's why it sucks. I don't know about you, but I would like to leave my expensive 600 dollar phone at home when I don't truly need it and take my watch as my main mode of communications. You can't even leave your phone at home when you're going for a run.

I live in South Korea, and basically everyone is 24/7 staring at their phones.  They messaging, gaming, watching live TV, doing everything except making calls on their phones.  It is crazy.  I have seen couples sitting at a coffee shop doing nothing but message and be next to each other. 

Human interaction in this society is down to a new low.  And yet, I still can't deny how extremely useful smart phones and this technology is, in our daily life.  You really do have to try to manage the bad with the great good.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 09, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »
So far still happy with my decision to stick with Pebble.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #459 on: April 09, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »
Well, if I remember correctly...the iphone wasn't great at what it did when it was released the first time either.

It wasn't really good a phone stuff.  I remember sending pictures being a big one. And that wasn't worked out for a while.  The other things it did, it did pretty well.  Interface was good; the apps worked; it was also an iPod.  But eventually, they caught up to some standards, set new ones, (fell behind on newer standards), and made it work.

With a smart watch, I still don't think anyone knows where it's going, and everyone is just throwing **** at the wall until something sticks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:03:33 AM by nickmitch »

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »
Someone on the IGN UK podcast said something that really rang true for me.
"The reason why I'm not interested in a smart watch (apple or otherwise) is that a watch is something that should be forever, something you pass on to your kids, not something you upgrade every 2 years with a contract."

I totally agree.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2015, 08:59:43 AM »
"Something you hide in your ass when you're behind enemy lines in Vietnam."

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 13, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »
Could use that like button right about now.

(Y)
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 15, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
Apple completely refreshed the iPod Touch line for the first time since September 2012 (and probably for the last time) with a 64-bit A8 CPU, 8MP camera, M8 motion coprocessor, and 128GB option for all 37 people actually still interested in the iPod line.

I'm very surprised that there's a 32GB option which is the one I'll be picking up in that nice, new blue color. I'm not running with an (eventual) iPhone 6S Plus in my pocket so the iPod Touch with the running app I have is a great solution. Everything is coming up Milhouse.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:21:10 PM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #464 on: July 15, 2015, 02:47:07 PM »
That actually sounds like a useful product for that exact reason.  Maybe also as something you can keep in the car to load up with tunes and podcasts for road trips.

I might consider getting one.  I keep music on my phone, but it was stolen recently.  Having something to keep in the car would prevent me from being in the situation I'm in now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #465 on: July 15, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
As much as I'd prefer a 320GB Classic, I might have gone in for a 128GB Touch if it wasn't five hundred bucks here. #ThanksHarper
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2015, 01:04:51 AM »
Apple completely refreshed the iPod Touch line for the first time since September 2012 (and probably for the last time) with a 64-bit A8 CPU, 8MP camera, M8 motion coprocessor, and 128GB option for all 37 people actually still interested in the iPod line.

I'm very surprised that there's a 32GB option which is the one I'll be picking up in that nice, new blue color. I'm not running with an (eventual) iPhone 6S Plus in my pocket so the iPod Touch with the running app I have is a great solution. Everything is coming up Milhouse.

I am considering getting one of these.  I need something to drop all my music on and carry with him.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »
New iPod Touches. FINALLY.

Shame they're not in the iPhone 6 shell, but the faster processor will do just fine.

I might get one to further prolong me not getting a Smartphone!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 26, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »
So what did everyone think of the past apple event. I'm thinking of going all Apple next year and i'm alittle bummed I grabbed a Nexus 6 this past may instead of an Iphone.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 26, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
So what did everyone think of the past apple event. I'm thinking of going all Apple next year and i'm alittle bummed I grabbed a Nexus 6 this past may instead of an Iphone.

As a Apple fan since the a long while ago, I can say none of the new stuff excites me really...although I kinda want a new iPod touch.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 26, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
It was very iterative and some of it was repackaging of concepts from the early days of PDA.  Just no real wow factor.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 26, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »

Sell it to me. I'm trying to switch carriers to Project Fi.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 26, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
I'm probably going to buy an iPhone 6S as I've had a 5S since launch and it's seen better days, particularly in terms of battery life, but I'm holding off a bit to see what will come in terms of an iOS 9 jailbreak.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 26, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
I don't see the point of force touch or whatever it is unless it's on a tablet and you're drawing. Videos as pictures and pictures as videos? That doesn't make any sense. It's called a video and a screenshot. It's nothing new...except now instead of hitting "play" you just keep touching the screen.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 26, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »
To be fair, I'm not impressed by just about anything anymore. I think smart phones have peaked at this point. Everything from now on will just be gimmicks like force touch.