Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 250221 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #400 on: September 24, 2014, 11:20:57 PM »
Broodwars, at a certain point you need to either stop complaining about the idiots your job puts you in contact with or get a new one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 24, 2014, 11:27:13 PM »
No one would have jobs if it was that simple.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 24, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »
Broodwars, at a certain point you need to either stop complaining about the idiots your job puts you in contact with or get a new one.

*shrugs* This one's not on them, though. Apple failed this one on a fundamental design level. Seriously, did their stress testing for an extremely large phone not include pockets and other such places?  I'll gladly call out the morons I have to deal with every day on their wondrous ability to defy Darwin, but at this point I can't blame anyone who manages to break a 6 this way, especially since my OnePlusOne is about the same size as the 6+, has weathered my pocket without any issue, and is $300+ cheaper without a contract.

What I'm not looking forward to is having to tell all these people that Apple ****ed them over. And considering Apple's only now acknowledging the power button and battery issues of the 5, I expect Apple will do their best to stall on taking any measures to correct this issue.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:33:21 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 25, 2014, 02:50:38 AM »
Maybe this will put an end to the skinny jeans fad.

We should be grateful.

This is the most important and accurate point on the internet.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 16, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »
iMac with Retina Display!

No 21.5-inch model and it's $2500. Never mind.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
I know apple is usually on the high end of the product scale, but I love how all these tech companies have pulled surface pro's of late announcing cool looking stuff that just isn't priced in the successful product range.

I really thought Apple was going to announce redesgins of the Mac line to go with Yosemite and maybe bring back the colored macs. Also no Apple TV update either.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #406 on: October 16, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Well they did upgrade one part of their mac lineup.  The Retina iMac is their Prosumer brand computer.  They are wanting it to be somewhere in the middle.  It is a beautiful machine, but expensive. 

I wish they would make a new Macbook, but I guess they want the Air to be that inexpensive consumer brand, but it just isn't inexpensive enough.  If I get a new laptop it will be the old pro, because their prices are too expensive for the static state memory.  They should have a fusion drive option available.  I think if I was Apple I would make a new Mac Book and let it be kinda "retro" Let it include a Super Drive DVD or upgrade it to Blu-Ray, a Fusion Drive Hard Drive, and don't really stress ultra thin design too much.  Retina could also be dropped and reserved for the Pros. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 16, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
On one hand the Mac Mini being $500 puts some steam back into the train of getting an affordable Macbook in the future, but I think the 5C under preforming (I don't know how when I see the model everywhere) put the hold on what ever plans Apple had for a mid to low range macbook.

I'm still surprised that the 5C didn't get an update to give it NFC, the apple TV is still  a pretty terrible product. Other than that I have to say the apple eco-system looks pretty great. I don't expect Microsoft to do anything to rival it soon, and google still needs to get more android apps onto chrome.

I have to wonder how big of an impact will NFC and apple Pay now being mainstream will have on Square. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #408 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:29 PM »
To me the lowend mac mini would be my Apple TV.

I think Apple probably thinks it is catering to both ends with the Pro and the air.  My problem is...Mac really hasn't addressed how people use their notebook computers, because they have such low storage options in their low-end lines. 

I want enough memory to house my photo library, music library, and some movies on my device.  Either give me that with an optional Fusion drive, or give us a setup with a small SSD drive for the OS and programs, and then a regular drive for storage.  Just please give us options.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
Even in the high end storage is limited. My new MacBook Pro, which is largely top-of-the-line, has just 512 GB of storage. Since I don't move it around a ton it's fine to have an external drive to supplement that, but it's still kind of annoying.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 17, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »
You can buy a 4KTV and a better Windows desktop for less money.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 17, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
Yeah, but then you'd have 20% less K.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 17, 2014, 11:17:38 PM »
But probably at least 20% more $. And way more storage space.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 18, 2014, 02:56:39 AM »
Storage is cheap these days, though. If you're ponying up the cash for one of those the cost of a decent external drive is negligible.

Since this is the Apple thread I'll also mention that I upgraded to Yosemite tonight and it's kind of weird. Mostly just aesthetic stuff I've run into so far, but it's different enough to be somewhat jarring.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #414 on: October 18, 2014, 05:22:17 AM »
I am think about getting the old Mac Pro 2013 model with a nice sized hard drive, and then replace the super drive with a ssd drive, and reload OS on it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 18, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »
So apple brahs, how are you guys liking the new iphones, ios8, and Yosemite so far.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 19, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
I don't have a new iPhone, and I don't have iOS 8 because I don't want to lose my jailbreak. Yosemite seems neat enough.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 19, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
I played around with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus at a store. They seemed fine though the 6 Plus felt unwieldy.

iOS 8 seems to have more problems than previous versions of iOS. Safari and Facebook occasionally close for no reason (they did before, but it's more frequent now) and I had to do a full restore because the music app was completely messed up after upgrading to iOS 8. For example, if I was listening to Artist X and I went to listen to Artist Y, it would still display Artist X's songs, but when I chose any song, it would play one of Artist Y's songs. I've never had this many issues with an iOS upgrade before. It works better after restoring. However, I still can't scroll to highlight text; I can only highlight what is shown in the text field. In any case, it still functions well most of the time though I hope 8.1 fixes the issues.

I'm not sure when I'll upgrade to Yosemite. I just upgraded to Mavericks a few months ago (I haven't noticed many differences though it's slower than Snow Leopard likely due to the age of my MacBook Pro) so I may wait until Apple releases some updates and it's stabler. I expect a 21.5" iMac with Retina Display next year when Intel finally releases Broadwell or even Skylake. That said, I don't know how long my MacBook Pro will see heavy use so I may not even bother.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »
Well ****, now it looks like I have to upgrade to iOS 8, since apparently iCloud syncing doesn't work across Yosemite-to-iOS 7. With every new iOS release they cut out a lot of the reason to jailbreak, but there's still stuff I'm going to miss and it I'm kind of pissed that I didn't realize that before getting Yosemite.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 21, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
Its nice to have keyboard customization part of the stock OS now, though it naturally doesn't work as well as it did, even using the keyboard from the same developer as the one I used before. Also, autocorrect seems way, way worse than it used to be.

EDIT: Man, this is way more complicated than it needs to be, which is usually the exact opposite of an Apple problem.

EDIT: Goddammit I hate this thing. Leave it to Apple to outright steal functionality everyone else has had forever and completely **** it up.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:39:01 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 21, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
Welcome to the new world order.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 21, 2014, 08:57:35 AM »
So apple even copied androids problems this time around. By chance may the problem be that your using older hardware?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
I doubt that. This is pretty clearly a software problem, and I'm using reasonably recent hardware (iPad 4/iPhone 5S). Like I said, I've been using the third-party Cydia keyboard made by the same exact guys right up until now with zero issues, and this has just been a mess. I might chalk it up to a bug in the early version of the OS, but this is fucking 8.1.

I'm not knocking Apple for cribbing from jailbreakers/Android, that's what I want and expect them to do, I just want them to do it in a less shitty way, as they usually have in the past.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 21, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
They totally screwed up iOS8 and 801 - battery drained from 100% to 53% in 24 hours when left on airplane mode for the ENTIRE TIME! - and 802 styill seems wobbly.

Someone installed 8.1 today and its crashed their phone, requiring a restore from iTunes and then - after four hours - it reinstalled but then erased all their iMessages from July onwards.

It just works, apparently.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #424 on: October 21, 2014, 10:36:08 PM »
You know I haven't run into any problems with the new ios and I am running an ipad 2.

The only annoyance I have is that videos get stuck in the memory when streaming and you have to completely download them to delete them.  I really find it a stupid problem and I have no idea why Apple hasn't fixed it.