Author Topic: Is Retro Working on Star Fox Wii U?  (Read 21279 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Is Retro Working on Star Fox Wii U?
« on: May 05, 2012, 12:54:58 AM »

The people behind Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns may be working with their third Nintendo franchise.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/30053

Texas-based Retro Studios could be working on a Star Fox game for Wii U to be revealed at this year's E3, according to a rumor on Techtroid.

The source told the site that while the game is indeed being worked on and will be revealed at E3, it will not be a launch title for the system. They cite Retro as saying that "It's a project everyone wants us to do."

This wouldn't be the first time it was believed that Retro would be working on a famed Nintendo franchise. Back in December, Legend of Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto stated that a collaboration with Retro on a Zelda game could be a possibility.

Retro Studios also designed the retro tracks in Mario Kart 7, and previously they worked on the Metroid Prime series and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Is Retro Working on Star Fox Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:27:35 AM »
I want them working on MP4 or Zelda, not Star Fox. LOL
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 01:33:57 AM »
Yea, but this actually has evidence behind it (albeit from a nebulous "source") aside from a magazine saying they want to see Star Fox be made by Retro.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:58:40 AM »
While I would love to see what they could do with Star Fox, I'd much rather they work on a brand new IP. Oh well, whatever they are developing it will undoubtedly be great.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:00:26 AM »
Everything is proceeding as I have forseen. ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »
When this was first announced I was against it, but as with Trent Richardson, I thought about it and thought about it and now it's exactly what I want from them. Maybe a Mass Effect parody with a lot of ship combat and the humor and insanity of Kid Icarus: Uprising. H
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:10:12 AM »
If Retro is really working on Starfox, I want them to make Starfox: Assault 2.0. Assault had so much potential to be a great game. The only thing i disliked about it was that it was short.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:10:45 AM »
Star Fox might become my favorite franchise if Retro Studios were to make a new game in the series.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:12:23 AM »
I am interested in whatever Retro is doing, whether it's Zelda or Star Fox or something else.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 02:18:16 AM »
I am interested in whatever Retro is doing, whether it's Zelda or Star Fox or something else.

Yeah, for me it really boils down to this. They might be the best development studio in the business right now, and whatever they end up doing I know it'll be great. I'd prefer it be Star Fox, but something else could be just as great. I hope we see something about it at E3, and I'd love a chance to play whatever it is there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »
I do believe Retro is one of the best studios going right now, I just want to see them create their own game and IP. A studio that talented should be crafting something that is distinctly their own IP, something like Bungie did with Halo.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 03:29:12 AM »
Launch time is a great chance for Retro to make and present a world or universe of their own creation. If this rumor comes true, then it's a shame that they lose that chance.

As much as that saddens me, I'm equally excited to see what Retro can do with Star Fox. I assume the team are at least somewhat familiar with the space combat games of old such as Tie Fighter, Privateer, Wing Commander, Freespace 2, and so on. They could use such knowledge to push Star Fox in to bold, new frontiers. If not, they could at least bring a little space sim influence to the Star Fox 3D shoot'em up.

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »
I do believe Retro is one of the best studios going right now, I just want to see them create their own game and IP. A studio that talented should be crafting something that is distinctly their own IP, something like Bungie did with Halo.

This I agree with. Let them work on that cancelled Gamecube game Raven Blade or create something totally new.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 04:46:16 AM »
Launch time is a great chance for Retro to make and present a world or universe of their own creation. If this rumor comes true, then it's a shame that they lose that chance.

As much as that saddens me, I'm equally excited to see what Retro can do with Star Fox. I assume the team are at least somewhat familiar with the space combat games of old such as Tie Fighter, Privateer, Wing Commander, Freespace 2, and so on. They could use such knowledge to push Star Fox in to bold, new frontiers. If not, they could at least bring a little space sim influence to the Star Fox 3D shoot'em up.

Agree with everything you said, I want to be clear I am always excited for whatever their next project is, if it is Star Fox, or something else, they will likely do great, unique,  things with it. It is solely because of their talent that I do hope they get to put their own unique stamp on the industry with a series that people link directly to them.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 06:34:02 AM »
Maybe a Mass Effect parody with a lot of ship combat and the humor and insanity of Kid Icarus: Uprising.
From what I understand, Star Fox has descended into furry melodrama. If Nintendo is going to use Retro Studios to breathe new life into the franchise, going in a more comedic direction is a good place to start. College Humor's The Fantastic Mr. Star Fox might be too difficult to pull off for an entire game. However, a parody on the whole space marine motif could go a long way.

Like many people in this thread, I'd prefer Retro Studios work on almost anything else (unless Nintendo expands them to 2 or 3 teams). However, this is a direction I could get behind. Comedy is extremely difficult to do well but hire the right people and you're onto something. I would die if Nintendo/Retro Studios hired Mayt Groening or Adam Reed (Sealab 2021, Archer) to oversee Star Fox's story and script.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:31:12 AM by Adrock »

Offline darkone008

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 07:34:17 AM »
I thought they were working on F zero.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »
To my knowledge, nothing was ever announced which is par for the course with Retro Studios. Someone at the company teased that they're working on "a project anyone wants us to do." There were rumors a couple months ago that they were working on Star Fox but I believe those were largely unsubstantiated. Miyamoto mentioned something about collaborating with Retro Studios on a Zelda game. That would be second on my Retro Studios wish list after Mario.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »
I hope not. The basic concept of Star Fox simply isn't one that lends itself to a full retail release these days and any attempts to make it one seem to make it worse or turn it into a different game (or both). The last Afterburner game was download-only, Star Fox should probably follow that direction. Nintendo really doesn't have to cling onto every last franchise.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 08:48:15 AM »
I fully expect that if this rumor is true, it will be another Star Fox game that is sort of a hybrid of genres.  I would expect something else in the vein of Starfox Adventures, only with better combat, puzzles, and without all the stupid. 
Way back when, people compared Starfox Adventures to a Zelda game, sometimes, and, in light of that, some of Miyamoto's comments might apply. 

I would also expect that more attention paid to the on-rails space combat sections in between levels.   If this is early-enough in the development cycle, perhaps Kid Icarus: Uprising could provide some inspiration toward that end.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
No Star Fox Adventures! Star Fox is flying through space, blowing **** up.

And giant flying robot monkey brains.
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
Well, before DKCR was announced, I was very against Retro working on DK and that turned out to be one of my favorite Wii games (despite Nintendo's asinine forced motion controls). Likewise, while a Retro-made Star Fox could be cool, that franchise at this point pretty much needs to be gutted and rebuilt from scratch to be relevant these days. There is no market for 2 hour long railshooters anymore, and that narrative is just beyond saving now. That's a lot of work I'd much rather see Retro put into their OWN game that fills a hole no other Nintendo studios could otherwise fill themselves. Retro deserves better than to be stuck as the repairman for franchises other studios have neglected or destroyed.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:18:42 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »
Man, I thought people would be all for this. People have been clamoring for a new Star Fox game since the Wii launched. Now, as soon as it's rumored that it's Retro working on it, everyone is skeptical/disappointed. Why?

I think Retro has the chops to return Star Fox to its former glory. And as they proved with Metroid Prime, it doesn't need to just be Star Fox 64 with better graphics. They know how to capture the feel of a series while still adding plenty of innovation.

As far as Retro working on a new IP.... there's a reason they're called RETRO studios. They have their role to fill, and they are very good at that role. I'm glad SOMEONE is revitalizing these old franchises, because you know EAD sure as hell won't dedicate their time to a new Star Fox/F-Zero game.

Just my two cents.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
As far as Retro working on a new IP.... there's a reason they're called RETRO studios.

They called themselves Retro Studios since they were founded in 1998 and only working on brand new IPs (like Raven Blade and Thunder Rally). The company was almost 2 years old before they started working on Metroid.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »

As far as Retro working on a new IP.... there's a reason they're called RETRO studios. They have their role to fill...

Yeah, remember that amazing retro game Raven Blade, which they were working on BEFORE Metroid Prime (and was eventually canceled)?  :rolleyes: Dude, it's just a name.

Edit: Danny cell phone typing being so slow. TJSpyke beat me to it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.