Author Topic: Nintendo invented what!?!?  (Read 11978 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo invented what!?!?
« on: January 08, 2006, 05:47:19 PM »
Yeah I was just thinking about how Sony fans and Nintendo fans always argue over who invented what first.

how Nintendo fans always say Ninty made D-pad first and SOny fans say dude your dumb it was Sega Mastersystem or something of the sort, or when Ninty fans claim Nintendo made Analog stick first SOny fans say no dude Coleco or whoever it was did it first stupid.

anyways yeah I was thinking what if Nintendo fans comeout, or sony fans whoever, and start arguing over Nintenod inventing the remote control and waiting until Revolution to use the technology. Anybody else fearing this argument will be brought up when Rev gets released and when Sony copy cats the controller?

Just um wondering because I know I seen similar arguments over stupid crap all over differentwebforums and am curious what peopel here think. Oh also sorry for misleading topic titles didnt want to give anythig away and dont want to offend the mods.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE: Nintendo invented what!?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 05:54:48 PM »
Your post confuses me like a spanked cheese beagle.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo invented what!?!?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 06:07:21 PM »
anyways yeah I was thinking what if Nintendo fans comeout, or sony fans whoever, and start arguing over Nintenod inventing the remote control and waiting until Revolution to use the technology. Anybody else fearing this argument will be brought up when Rev gets released and when Sony copy cats the controller?

I was doing OK until I hit this paragraph, but I think I understand now.. more or less at least.

So you are, in effect, making a thread that is designed to incite arguments between Nintendo and Sony fans? Or are you just asking us if we think that there will be a debate as to who invented the NRC concept in the future? I think that's what you meant. But anyways..

Nintendo didn't invent the technology. It was already existing, and they licensed it from Gyration. But they are the first people to apply it to home console gaming in this fashion.. And I think that this, unlike the analogue stick or D-Pad, will forever be universally recognised - you won't see to many PS fans arguing that Sony brought in the tech if they do, in fact, copy it.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »
No, dude, I totally used motion control in this sword fighting game in the arcade. And before that, I did it with eye-toy. IN comclusion, Nintendo is homsexual.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
"Homsexual"? They love Homsar?

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 01:27:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

What kind of cheese?
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:08:24 AM »
The motion control in the konami sword fighting game sucked
Yes nintendo invented good things but lets look at bad things
1. Unique controller ports, remember when u could plug ur 3do control into atari 2600, or genesis? Nintendo ruined the fun for us, instead they had to ruin fighting games by not going with standardized 6 face buttons.
2.  They toke the kiddy out of video games, by not using animal characters as main characters, its there fault we now have sex and real life voilence in games
ect. ect.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 06:35:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq

Originally posted by: Artimus

What kind of cheese?

My spanked cheese beagle prefers smoked gouda.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »
I guess it is true that beagles like cheese. I thought when Captain Archer's dog on Enterprise ate cheese, it was just a special effect.

On the subject: Nintendo invented the jump button

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 07:11:44 AM »
Come off it... We all know that Sony invented the NES and the GameBoy in the first place.  Microsoft invented Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 07:27:05 AM »
KDR: We should ask Reggie if that rhinocerous is around.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 07:38:31 AM »
I can say the following:

1. The d-pad was invented and used first in home consoles by Nintendo.  Originally someone had the buttons setup in that manner (N/S/E/W), but they were not connected.  Gumpei Yokoi (of Metroid and Gameboy fame) came up with the idea to connect them, hence forming the pad.  This was first done in 1982 with the Donkey Kong handheld game.  This can be verified via wikipedia.

2. Analog was around far before the N64, BUT no one has perfected it or scaled it down to a one-finger size.  The N64 was the first machine that did this in such a manner that it was usable, and not some large unwieldly joystick, like with old Coleco vision machines and such.

3. The Sega Master System came out after the Nintendo from what I know, and it's dpad was more a square designed to use 8 directions.  It was more powerful than the NES but never came close to sales.  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »
Nintendo was usually the first to implement technologies in certain ways on game consoles.  Like the N64's analogue sticks and force feedback (Rumble Pak) which came before Sony added them to the PSX controller.

And apparently, according to some patent document, Nintendo patented "insanity" for use in Silicon Knight's Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »
sorryif i consufed peopel i was bored and just remebered all the dumb debates Ive seen between sony and Nintendo fans. I was um asking if people think Nintendo will be credited for inventing the REMOTE contorl as in what youuse on your TV sets and such, and then....

ah never mind it was a dumb thread I was bored
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 12:23:53 PM »
Dude.  I remember reading some reviews of that game and how one of the effects that happened was the Gamecube would look like it restarted when you were no where near a save point.  I wanted that game until I was playing it at a store and couldn't get pass one area at the very beginning after covering all the ground and everythin.  Decided that it had to something either stupid or glitchy and never got that tainted feeling away enough to get the game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 12:47:02 PM »
Nintendo didnt invent buttons and microprocessors, not to mention cables, the NES was such a total ripoff of the good people who invented those things... wait, they didnt even invent LCD screens! that Game and Watch is a total shame on Nintendo's resumee...

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 12:50:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Dude.  I remember reading some reviews of that game and how one of the effects that happened was the Gamecube would look like it restarted when you were no where near a save point.  I wanted that game until I was playing it at a store and couldn't get pass one area at the very beginning after covering all the ground and everythin.  Decided that it had to something either stupid or glitchy and never got that tainted feeling away enough to get the game.

heh, that would be Enternal Darkness, good game.

What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 02:21:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Should've been playing it in the comfort of your own home.  Then you *might've* felt it was a legitimate obstable instead of putting fault on the game.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 03:50:35 PM »
Eternal Darkness ranks in my top 5 Games for GC.. Must have game. An announcement that a sequel will be for the Rev would elate me very much. Too bad SK will be busy the whole next generation with Too Human Trilogy. That blows, especially since we wont see them(trilogy) on the Rev.. arggg..Man what a double fisting.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 03:53:07 PM »
We'll see, the only thing for sure is that nothings for sure
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 06:03:30 PM »
Nintendo has definitely created a lot of what's in console controllers today such as the rumble pak and analogue control, but Sony has been able to take those creations further by incorporating the rumble pak in the controller and taking the single analogue control and creating the dual-analogue controller.

This 'Sony stole this and that!' is just Nintendo fanboy's way of combating the 'Nintendo is tiku tiku tiku! !' arguement.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 06:30:44 PM »
Magik - exactly. Nintendo innovates the technology, while Sony evolves it, innovating in a different way and some would say, to a lesser degree. Now let's drop it. And I don't think it's the standard tendofan defense of tiku tiku tiku, the two are wholly separate issues.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 06:39:29 PM »
I don't think putting rumble in the controller is very 'evolutionary'. It's more like dumb-ass-next-stepary. I still don't think 2 analogue sticks is that much better.

But either way, Sony completely stole both ideas from Nintendo.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 07:08:05 PM »
How is it not evolutionary? The next logical step was to build rumble into the controller. It's something that's expected - why is it dumbassed? Not like I called it a 'revolution' or anything like that. Dual analog was perhaps less obvious, but many testify of it's usefulness, though it's lost on me (I don't usually play the kind of games that would benefit from DA)

I'm not a big fan of dual analog or the Dual Shock2 controller myself, but honestly, Artimus, what did you expect Sony to do? Completely ignore how successful Nintendo was with their formula? Of course they'd'steal' it. Take cars, f'rinstance -  interchangeable parts, the conveyor belt, the assembly line, engine innovations etc. all happened. You look at the success of Ford with the Model T (still the best selling car ever, I believe topping even the VW bug).

In any case, I believe Microsoft integrated rumble into controllers before Sony even did (with their Sidewinder Force-Feedback pad.) If you don't like the Dual Shock, say so - but don't knock Sony for doing what every corporation in any industry has done consistently. That's just fanboyism, pure and simple.

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 02:27:32 AM »
Not evolutionary?  Wth?  It absolutely was evolutionary, same with the dual-analogue stick.  If it wasn't evolutionary, why did Nintendo follow suit?

Dumb-ass-next-stepary?  You can than say the same for E-Reader and GBA-GC connectivity.  Heck, those are beyond Dumb-ass-next-stepary.

Try playing platformers or FPS that need the dual-analogue controller without it.

What Sony did was take an idea further than what Nintendo saw, that's what all these fanboys are mad about.