Author Topic: Hints from Madcatz?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Hints from Madcatz?
« on: January 05, 2006, 05:59:36 AM »
From Ign's interview with them:
"we are evaluating wheel, arcade stick, dance pad, and other unique input solutions."

Drving game and Dance game at launch?

They also said they are looking at making Madcatz remote wandz, I'm a little suprised Nintendo is allowing this.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Hints from Madcatz?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 06:19:46 AM »
"They also said they are looking at making Madcatz remote wandz, I'm a little suprised Nintendo is allowing this."

Why wouldn't they?  It's no different then the third party Cube controllers you can get now.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 06:44:22 AM »
I don't think this is really hinting at potential launch games, but a racing game seems kind of given, don't you think?

The potential of using a dance pad in cooperation with the Revmote could prove interesting in the future, though...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
RE:Hints from Madcatz?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 07:29:12 AM »
I don't think its a hint either. Back when the GC launched I remember them announcing all sorts of stuff and nothing ever happening.

Unless you bought the MadCatz dance game...which I did and it sucked horribly. Traded it for like $20 at EB.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 08:03:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"They also said they are looking at making Madcatz remote wandz, I'm a little suprised Nintendo is allowing this."

Why wouldn't they?  It's no different then the third party Cube controllers you can get now.
I'm pretty sure Microsoft isn't allowing Madcatz to create controllers for Xbox 360.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:13:20 AM »
I've seen third party 360 controllers at the stores.

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 08:14:21 AM »
What hint?  What in the world?

They are evaluating those peripherials because every console gets those types of games.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 09:53:44 AM »
My only concern with the Madcatz remote wand is how it will interact with the bar that's placed in front of the television.  I assumed the one included bar was all that would be needed for 4 players.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 12:15:20 PM »
I would've hoped that the controller would be difficult to reverse-engineer, and since Nintendo says peripheral attachments should be cheap, wouldn't third-parties be better off making just the attachments?

I don't usually like any third-party controllers anyway though.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »
MS lets third parties make controllers. Just not the $50 wireless ones.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 05:31:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

There's some unique patents going into the Revolution controller too, however... I would've thought Nintendo might want to discourage third party controllers when there are so many unique concepts going into them.

I hope at the very least they make all third parties get a Nintendo Seal of Quality or something.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 06:24:58 AM »
If they got a Nintendo Seal of Quality, that would be cool, but how many people care about that anymore, honestly?  A lot of casual gamers would still buy them and there would be gamers like me that wouldn't buy third-party stuff regardless.  I like Nintendo stuff but I can't remember the last time I looked at/for the Seal and I'm sure if I did it wasn't because I would feel reassured by a symbol of quality.

(A controller I DID like but can't remember its "status" was the Super NES ASCiiPad.  I guess it was made by ASCii but the packaging and feeling of it was like first-party stuff.  So was that technically a Nintendo-published/approved controller or something?  Second-party hardware?  Or Hudson's Super NES Multitap...which was used by games other than the Super Bomberman games...is that third-party-but-approved-by-Nintendo hardware?  I'm confused...)

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 07:39:34 AM »
I'm not saying necessarily for the sake of the seal itself... I'm just saying an experimental controller with weird features isn't like slapping an analog stick and some buttons on a PCB, and some of the third parties have a hard enough time getting that right.

If someone buys a third party controller for the revolution and it doesn't work properly, it might reflect poorly on Nintendo to some people... and I don't want to see them risk that.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 08:02:07 AM »
I'm assuming that Madcatz would have  to license the tech from Nintendo to make the controller??

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
Yeah, and Madcatz has a decent track record... but I hope Nintendo still works closely with them to make sure they don't release garbage.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 04:00:32 PM »
More variation the better.  My favorite N64 controller was a boomerange shape one.  Even if Nintendo went and said that yeah you can't do that.  It's how they make money so they'll do what Compaq did and go into a white room with a Revolution and figure out how it works.  As long as they didn't actually take a controller apart and reverse engineer that way it's perfectly legal if they just happen to find a way to mimic all the functions.  That's what happened the x86 architecture.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 07:41:03 PM »
Variation is fine, but I've bought some pretty miserable third party controllers... I recall buying a GC controller and the shoulder buttons were so flakey that any game requiring you to hold down a shift button to accelerate or something was totally unplayable.

I'm just picturing some nightmare scenario where someone buys a Revolution and a bunch of third party controllers for multiplayer and chalks up the control system as flawed because the third party controllers are crap.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »
I read the article and basic got nothing out of it because nothing was said except the normal "no comment" spin, i.e. we are looking into it. It good that the third party acessory company are supporting it, and probally drooling, over the controller possiblities. But the article was ambiguous at best.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.