Author Topic: No Revolution loving from the analysts.  (Read 25403 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:No Revolution loving from the analysts.
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2006, 09:08:19 AM »
sorry to burst your bubble requiem but most people watcha movie for the STORY now individual blades of grass, if thast what makes a good movie then you should be watching teh Discovery channel and NOT movies.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: No Revolution loving from the analysts.
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2006, 09:15:49 AM »
"People like to see"

Where in ^^^^ does that say watch? And yes, I do watch the discovery channel. It's fantastic. It's amazing how life-like things really are. Could you imagine it when it looks exactly how it does in real-life? Looking at a crator hole or watch a cheetah attack a gazelle would be craziness.

And yes I still watch VHS movies. Still, the added clarity of video and sound are the best way to immerse the viewer. You can't argue that if the same movie where to be made in VHS and into HoloD/HD-DVD/BluRay, that you wouldn't have a better time watching and listening to the digital media.  
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2006, 09:33:06 AM »
sure tahst why I boughta DVD player, but the step form DVD to HD DVD isnt that noticable to me so far. I did go back and rewatch the Star Wars movies I have now on DVD on my old tapes and they still look good and soudn good to me. Not as good as teh DVD sure but not so bad I cant enjoy the movie. Its not that much noticable unless you are LOOKING for things to notice. And damn you I hate teh discovery channel and thought taht was a good counter point. I will step off you now cuz I cant win this,.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »
Req-

My comment is more aimed at the general idea that people seem to act like anything non-HD and non-DVD and non-5 billion K MP3 files are just so unbelievable horrible that their eyes and ears will melt and fall off in they are exposed to that sort of thing.

I tend to take good attention to detail, but I don't have the cash to get a nice LCD tv right now, component cables, and a big receiver to preserve the signals.  Just like I can't afford super awesome surround sound 7.1 channel speakers.  But I can still enjoy music and movies for what they are, even in their low-quality formats.

But there are people out there that are on high horses all talking about how "omfG I CANNOT watch old TV anymore" and then moan about lower quality resolutions and things, and quite honestly I think if they were to be given a doubleblind test (where no one, the tester or the testee, knows the resolution/bit rate qualities/etc), they'd fail just as badly as someone who doesn't care.

You *could* stretch my comment into an argument against graphics whores, but I won't go quite that far as I've have enough internet arguments for the last couple of days.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2006, 10:11:46 AM »

But there are people out there that are on high horses all talking about how "omfG I CANNOT watch old TV anymore" and then moan about lower quality resolutions and things, and quite honestly I think if they were to be given a doubleblind test (where no one, the tester or the testee, knows the resolution/bit rate qualities/etc), they'd fail just as badly as someone who doesn't care.

That's typically what someone says when they don't have/can't afford the technology.  I can bet you right now I could tell the difference..easily.  If you ever watched a sporting event or the Discovery channel in HD, it's not even close.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
Actually when Conan showed his new HD format versus the old one, I thought the new one looked very washed out and showed me a lot of nothing.

I'm not sure how you can fault me for not owning it when I said specifically "I do not own this."

Besides, you're missing my point entirely, but ok.  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2006, 10:55:58 AM »
We've all watched HD, its called our PC monitor, and really, I can go back to see normal TV, yes it look sharper and all (Ive seen HDTV outside my PC monitor also) but seriously, this isnt B&W vs Color.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »
The only HD programming that actually is noticeably (sp?) better is ESPN and discovery. All others fail. I'm not sure why, but you just can't tell the difference easily.

Watching football is madness. Seeing John Madden's face is a horrific experience. The texture....dear God the texture!

Anyway, dvd's are excellent by basically everyone's standard. I can't wait till they make HD movies though. I remember watching Spiderman 2 and seeing people getting thrown off a train, my thoughts were "Holy Sh!t!" The clarity of everything, the widescreen-ness of everything was just butter on the toast.

I can live without it if that's what your saying. It's definitely not worth the price of admissions comparative to DVD's way back when.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2006, 12:18:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
The only HD programming that actually is noticeably (sp?) better is ESPN and discovery. All others fail. I'm not sure why, but you just can't tell the difference easily.

I think it might be because they're filmed in HD.  I don't know if that's the case everywhere but I think it's a given that you can't improve the resolution of something at low resolution to begin with.  At least to me, it seems like there are a lot of programs on the supposedly HD channels that I get that have been around since before HD came into consumers' range.

While the increased space in the next disc format will improve possible quality/clarity, if there wasn't that high resolution to begin with it means naught.  I would, however, like to see it used so that entire seasons of a TV show, or numerous movies within the same franchise, could be on a single disc.  I think the idea of a season of a TV show in a box set is grand, but I would much rather have the whole season (or series, if it's over) conveniently on one disc.

If the future is about downloads, though, then even that would be for naught.  I'd rather have it on no discs if I could still feasibly "have" it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2006, 02:19:05 PM »
Ok this is my peice and then I'm stepping out.  I am one of the few people who is lucky enough to have scrouged the cash and had the planetary discount alignments enable them to have an HDTV, all be it not a very big one, and the Progressive Scan cables for the Gamecube.  Even for non-progressive scan games the picture is so much clearer it's not even funny.  It's like night and day.  Theres just a better transfer of data.  I am now co-oping and I had to leave my HDTV with my fiance and had gone back to a SDTV, I think that's the right term, playing Baten Kaitos I'm now having a hard time reading the text.  It's an average sized standard TV.  It just seems so fuzzy and not as vibrant.  I've adjusted it to its optimum.  In the end there are reasons to upgrade and the like.  Even without new better formats for things that have adjustable medias they can take advantage of the change right out of the box.  This is my experienc.  When the Revolution comes out I could care less if it has the capability to do 720 or 1080p.  As long is it lets me connect it to my HDTV with those better cords everything will be fine.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2006, 09:28:47 PM »
Figured I'd throw this interesting link into the fire.

Anandtech.com

The pictures were taken at the CES. Pioneer was demonstrating the improvements of BRD over standard DVD (upconverted to 1080p) side by side... in general they seemed underwhelmed. This isn't about BRD, but HD in general.

HD wipes the floor with SDTV, because SDTV signal quality is bad from the start. But HD over DVD doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Seems like as long as you've got a clean component input and a progressive scan picture from a pristine digital source, you're getting 90% of the detail most people will see.
"wow."

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2006, 09:49:10 PM »
Clean, progressive material is lovely.  I just wish the industry dropped interlacing altogether.  I just causes headaches for people coverting to and from interlaced material, and unnecesary quality loss.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2006, 01:49:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell

quite honestly I think if they were to be given a doubleblind test (where no one, the tester or the testee, knows the resolution/bit rate qualities/etc), they'd fail just as badly as someone who doesn't care.
I'll have to counter this too. Double-blind HD vs SD, there is no compairison. You can prove it yourself, just go to BestBuy or CircutCity or Tweeter or whatever and compair your self, most places are running HD signal into their TVs. HD vs SD is nothing like the audio side of things with Dolby vs DTS or, for that matter, bulk 12 gague lampcord vs $100 a foot "MONSTER" speaker wire which has been sprinkled with pixie dust, blessed by the pope, and of course "Gold plated".
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2006, 02:49:02 AM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
HD wipes the floor with SDTV, because SDTV signal quality is bad from the start.

Okay, no? SDTV isn't bad. It just isn't HD. I mean, I run my monitor at 1024x768, but I wouldn't say that 640x480 or 800x600 is bad.

But as for those pictures... I've noticed the Blu-Ray seemed to be slightly, SLIGHTLY better. But the difference isn't noticeable enough for me to care about.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2006, 03:30:53 AM »
See the new DVD formats up close and you'll get a better impression. It's the detail that makes the difference, and those pics are too small for detail.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2006, 03:33:10 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't say EDTV 480p F-Zero GX on Cube is bad either.

It's simply everyday cable TV programming that's bad.  Some networks like TNT still run only in mono audio.  Absolutely horrid.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2006, 05:34:59 AM »
The DVD image in that pic has some serious red tint. Who designed this test, Disney?
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2006, 05:48:23 AM »
It's interesting to see where this thread has gone...

HD-DVD and Blu-ray have many features built into them for future use.  Both have increased disk space for 1080p movies and loss-less audio, both have far superior anti-pirating protection in place, and both have their own version of CD-i built into them.  If you look into the history of HD-DVD vs Blu-ray, you will find that upgraded video quality was almost an afterthought.  The next-gen media war is really about DRM and who will be controlling that DRM.

Nintendo can get away with releasing "non-gamer" games on the DS is third party support.  The DS has ten times the third party support that the N64 and GC ever had.  This allows Nintendo to do it's own thing while letting others fill in the gaps.  Nintendo desperately needs third party support if Rev is to succeed.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2006, 06:54:35 AM »
SDTV isn't exactly 640x480. Ordinary TV only gets 320 scan lines. Judging from the static typical TVs get, it's pretty ass as far as I'm concerned. A monitor is bound to look better since the connection is direct, the resolution is higher, the source is digital and only a few feet away.

The article discusses that the HD signal is visibly better than regular DVD. But they're underwhelmed overall. It's not as dramatic as the switch from SDTV to HDTV, and they're correct. I watch Lost in HD and just saw season 1 again on DVD. They hold their own pretty well.  
"wow."

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2006, 07:11:24 AM »
http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/254

a little bit off topic, but its an interview with ATI's Public Relations Manager for Consumer Products John Swinimer that some might find intersting (although not much is really said).  

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »
Yes it is a whole lot of nothing in that article. Hopefully there will be more coming out at GDC (if not DICE).
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »
Analysts are hacks.

Simple and to the point.
With the Revmote, Nintendo is giving me new and interesting ways to play with myself!

WoW!

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2006, 10:34:05 PM »
Well IGN's Q&A with NubbyTech did bring out a good gem. It seems that Nintendo has a booth at GDC this year, so there will more than likely be some hands on stuff, though it probally will be the tech demos since concidering this is Nintendo and they don't want to let anything out of the bag willingly until E3 gamewise.

Oh and the interview was better than the Ati and MadCatz one since they did more than say I can talk about that. They did list why they can't talk in depth about some thing because Nintendo's Third party hardware plan isn't totally laid out.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2006, 05:06:56 AM »
Ok I have the answer plain and simple, if we all want the revolution to out sell the competitors here what WE do, cuz if we leave thinsg up to Nintendo they will fail they always eff up dont argue its the truth.,

What we can do is ten times better than what they can do, and damnit this is most likely going to be my last game systems and I want it to be on top of the competition so Ninty is King of the Hill again.

IF teh damn thing is going to be as cheap as the GC, then what we do is says crew all the idiots who cant make up thier mind based on HD or whatever, just BUY a Revolution for yor self, at launch preferabley, and then buy as many GOOD games as you can possibly afford, then when yo have the extra dough, or if you must use Christmas or B-Days as an excuse, go out and BUY one for your best friend, or your brother or sister or mom or nephew or who ever you care about that wont get one on thier own but will enjoy it if they were given one, then get them  a couple games, and let them see for themselves how good or bad it is, that way Ninty gets the extra sale, and 3rd party games get sold, people will have hands on play with the thing and we get better support.

Just inviting people over to play GC or REv isnt going to be enough next gen, it didnt work much this gen anyways. We have to show people that it IS better and not TELL people its better. and I dont see why those of us who have the moeny or those of us who are willing to work extra cant do something like this to help out a little bit, 1 extra system and a couple extra games wont break any body, especialy if the system is as cheap as 129 or lower. If its more than that ok we run into problems but I think that if theres people here who care that much to get on web forums to discuss what Nintendo needs to do than you care enough to do what ever it takes. DOnt worry if teh person yo buy it for sells it latter on, Nintendo wont care neither will Midway or Namco, all they will see is the extra sales and the profits they make and that gives them reason to support the system.

Back durring ther Election I was a big part of the grass roots campaign and went out of my way to pursuade people who to vote for and why, it was hard but enough peopel made the right choice and our guy won, but with rev we are convincing people to check mark a name we are asking them to spend money, hey if its someone you REALLY want to play rev games with but they are stuborn and want a 360 or ps3 instead buy them one as a present and I ganruntee tehy will polay it for a while, guilt and all, then if they see how much fun it is they will change thier minds on getting the other thing, but you have to get them BEFORE they get thieor other system or before they get too into it.

Who's with me, lets prove to the world that Nintendo is the best and back them up 200%.

I have already gotten 2 DS systems for people I knew woudnt get them on their own, I would have done same with GC but only got 1 for friend and 1 for nephew, but I am goign to go all out and buy evs, or at least games, for as many people as I can afford or at least try and convinve them why its the best but I will do what ever I can to make Nintendo NUMBER ONE! Just cuz I dont get pasionate enough about stuff but this I care about right now more than ever.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2006, 06:12:54 AM »
Did you just say CREW?  It is Nintendo's responsibility to sell and promote their product.  If the product is good enough, word of mouth should be enough to sell it without a door-to-door grassroots movement.  

Originally posted by: animecyberrat
Just inviting people over to play GC or REv isnt going to be enough next gen, it didnt work much this gen anyways. We have to show people that it IS better and not TELL people its better. and I dont see why those of us who have the moeny or those of us who are willing to work extra cant do something like this to help out a little bit, 1 extra system and a couple extra games wont break any body, especialy if the system is as cheap as 129 or lower. If its more than that ok we run into problems but I think that if theres people here who care that much to get on web forums to discuss what Nintendo needs to do than you care enough to do what ever it takes. DOnt worry if teh person yo buy it for sells it latter on, Nintendo wont care neither will Midway or Namco, all they will see is the extra sales and the profits they make and that gives them reason to support the system.

It has not been proven to be better yet.  I've been watching the Revolution since before its unveiling and I don't know that it is better and neither do you.
People don't get to have money by sinking 500+ dollars in extra game consoles for their friends so that Nintendo, a multibillion dollar company, can be promoted better.  Yes, spread the word if the console is good but I think our 'job' as fans stops there until Nintendo puts us on payroll.

rat:  You are right - checking a box for america's presidential candidate for the next four years is easier than buying a ~150 dollar game console because it doesn't cost any money.  Wouldn't you agree that is pretty sad?
Kiss the Cynic!