Author Topic: Sell Revolutions on the Home Shopping Network! AAAH!  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Sell Revolutions on the Home Shopping Network! AAAH!
« on: December 31, 2005, 09:09:09 AM »
Nintendo should also put Revolution up for sale on the Home Shopping Network and like tv shopping channels.

The Home shopping Channel offers everything Nintendo needs: actual game demonstrations AND a huge, easily accessible untapped traditionally non-gaming market! in-store demos? Why not real people playing real games so Dad/Mom/Grandma can understand it right on the TV! Plus, with its low price people who never thought about it before will buy it as gifts for their kids, or grandkids... or once they see the Rev's cooking game, conducting game, cheap NES downloads or (please please pleaaaaase) Mario Paint, they'll buy it for themselves!

AAAAh! Why didn't I think of this before!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

RE: Sell Revolutions on the Home Shopping Network! AAAH!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 09:56:45 AM »
Because home shopping network only stock crap?
So anyway I was in the shopping center demanding to know where they kept the western potatoes when Drive Safe came around with Simple Plan blaring out telling me that driving on the wrong side of the road is ok if the other guy is drunk while I immediately jumped on my dirt racer to zoom out of ther

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:29:39 AM »
Good idea, actually. Perfect way to hit a nontraditional target!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 12:14:30 PM »
i remember when n64 came out..thats all they talked about for months...
it worked back then
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
RE:Sell Revolutions on the Home Shopping Network! AAAH!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 06:15:24 AM »
Isn't the Revolution something you need to feel?  Plus the shopping network feels clugey(sp?) and, I think the technical term is, icky.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 08:23:34 AM »
I remember I wanted to buy a Game Boy Player for the SNES so bad after I saw them hype it on HSN way back in the day. My begging never works but my mom understood its worth since she was an HSN fiend back then; rose her awareness. Certainly if it doesn't play into the hands of the parents, it'll still work for the kids.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 12:32:55 PM »
You mean Super GameBoy right?  I haven't been able to figure out how to hook the GameBoy Player into my SNES yet...

Seriously, did you manage to get the Super GameBoy from the HSN?  I've read that they sold the "rare" Super GameBoy 2 (it has a link port)!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 05:06:29 AM »
Oh god no.  Have you ever actually watched the HSN?  It is UNBELIEVABLY annoying.  I can picture it now:

"This controller is the best most controller-y controller ever!  It doesn't work like a regular controller, no, it uses super state-of-the-art technology!  Technology that NO OTHER CONTROLLER HAS!  You won't believe the technology this controller utilizes!  And all those other controllers?  None are like this controller..."

On and on and on....I don't want to see some 50 year old wrinkly failed-evangelist geezer trying to tell me anything about the Rev....

"That's right! The graphics can be upgraded from this (shows NES Zelda) to this! (shows TP)"

God....
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 08:20:42 AM »
Well, no matter how annoying the HSN is to us, it apparently works on the nongamer market, which is what Nintendo needs to hit.

Oooh, ooh, and they should sell the Rev through mail order catalogs too! Like ABC distributing, my mom ALWAYS buys stuff from them!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 08:31:53 AM »
I'm not so sure about the HSN in particular, but perhaps some major-yet-untraditional approach would work (as long as it's not the only means, obviously).

Didn't they talk about selling Nintendogs in pet stores?  And have they?  I don't go into pet stores often but I haven't heard about it after the one time someone mentioned it as a possibility.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 08:58:20 AM »
The icky thing about selling Nintendogs in pet stores is that people will buy Nintendogs instead of adopting stray cats and dogs that are about to euthanized...

/cry

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »
True, but Nintendogs still can't meet the need for a warm living being.  It certainly is cheaper though.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 10:09:43 AM »
I have Nintendogs and you know I ended up getting a Chinchilla.  Go figure.  I must say the Chinchilla is order of Magnitudes better then Nintendogs.  But then I would have to say that I found the game so extremely boring and the interaction not that great.  *shrug* I guess I like more direction with my games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 08:22:57 AM »
Well, I don't know if they actually did get around to putting Nintendogs in any pet stores, that's why I was asking.  I could be wrong, but I thought someone at Nintendo had mentioned it in passing at some point.  It would probably be part of their approach to get to non-gamers.

Non-gamers wouldn't walk into a store dedicated to video games, or go to that section/department in a larger/more diverse store.  I had even heard of the idea of selling games in convenience stores, which would definitely get games more exposure than having a single series like Nintendogs in pet stores which only avid pet owners who constantly get new pets would be revisiting.

Back when the NES was the current hot console, I remember that several convenience stores had a game rental section.  Now it seems like they don't, and any that still do probably just have a limited selection of a handful of hyped PS2 games and that would be it.  If non-gamers would ever consider the Revolution, it might be a good idea to put them for sale in convenience stores, but it would have to be a fever-pitch momentum, otherwise it's probably not an easy thing to get stores to do.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 11:09:15 AM »
You're right JonLeung, someone mentioned it, but I don't know if they ever tried it either.

I actually think the Home Shopping Network is a great idea.  Video of the Revolution being used is the next best thing to playing it.  I thought the controller unveiling video actually did a pretty good job of showing what the system might be capable of, and it didn't even have any graphics to show.

The point is to reach a different audience.  This could alienate coolio 20-somethings, but they're going to buy a PS3 or an Xbox 360 anyway.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 07:56:29 PM »
Last time I was at Petsmart, I didn't see any video games... but I was in the market for cat food, so I didn't really hunt around either.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »
Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with HSN... the channel appeals to it's target audience, and even though most of us aren't it... it works. I bought a Sharp Zaurus off their website a couple years back for a great price. They've got good customer service, decent speed shipping... and sometimes you can find some really good deals.

Seeing the Revolution (or for that matter the DS) on the HSN would be a positive sign because it's going to increase market share, and that's going to bring more developers on board.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 10:36:17 AM »
Convenience stores are too high risk for video games.  Now grocery stores that's another story.