Author Topic: Revolution to Launch with Mario  (Read 8747 times)

Offline ShawnSt3r

• Banned
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Revolution to Launch with Mario
« on: December 22, 2005, 02:56:22 AM »
     I am starting this thread because I believe the Revolution will lunch bundled with the New Mario game.  Someone in another thread posted the fact that the two era's that Nintendo had utter domination (NES, SNES) the systems launched with Mario.

The timing is perfect for the new Mario in production to launch with the Revolution.  Launching a Grade-A , top of the line game with the Revolution that will demonstrate its unique capabilities will be paramount to getting new gamers in the door, especially if they can do it at a reasonable price point.  There was nothing like ripping open a brand new SNES with Super Mario World fresh and waiting to be popped into that shiny new system.   With a shell controller, nun-chuck, and main controller this would truly be a complete package.

Mario is certainly a culture icon worldwide but undoubtedly some of his luster has been stolen by the sucess of various Sony and Microsoft franchises. (e.i. Master Chief.).  In Nintendos prime (as far as smarket share) Nintendo meant video games and Mario meant Nintendo.  For Mario to regain his former status, a new Mario must be bundled with the Revo.

Bundling Mario with the Revo. will not only be an incredible value but will also entice alot of the non-gamers who Nintendo seems to be placing extra special attention on.  Even non-gamers know who Mario is and once the buzz of Nintendos new system gets going full swing, they just might be enticed to pick on up, not feeling like a complete outsider and know-nothing concerning the gaming world.

For these reasons (and more) I see bundling the New Mario with the Revolution at launch will be a key component if Nintendo hopes to gain the penetration necessary to once again take the #1 spot.      

I would like to get everyone elses opinion on this matter.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution to Launch with Mario
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 03:26:27 AM »
Honestly... as much as i'd LOVE this to happen, I don't think a new Mario game will be ready for launch. Last time Miyamoto talked about it he still didn't have a solid direction for the game, they're probably still just "experimenting".

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution to Launch with Mario
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 03:27:39 AM »
Damn, they way you worded the title, I thought that this was being confirmed by Nintendo in some news magazine or something.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution to Launch with Mario
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 03:29:58 AM »
Yeah, me too. Might want to add a question mark to that.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution to Launch with Mario
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:43:10 AM »
I remember counting a dozen games (literally) featuring Mario to come out earlier this year.  Many of those have come out by now but a few are still to be released.  (When's New Super Mario Bros. for the DS coming out again?)  Would it be a surprise if there was one of the two expected Revolution ones at launch?  Those being the next Super Mario game or the next Smash Bros. game.  I would bet on one of the two, probably Smash Bros., but not both.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: Revolution Bundled with Mario
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:30:07 AM »
I don't believe Nintendo will waste Mario as a bundle.  Mario is going to be the first Million seller for the Revolution, and be the first game that Nintendo can tout as a success for the system.  If they pack the game in, they will lose the money from that revenue source.  Nintendo just won't do that at all.  

However, I do believe this will be the first console system (since when?) that will launch with a game packed in.  The reason I believe this is because of the focus on the none gamer.

To reach the non-gamer and to reach all who have never bought a game system, EVERYTHING must be packed in and ready to play from the instance you open then box.  If you have to buy the analog nunchuk, or the Shell base unit, or the first game then the preceived value is less.

$99 dollars with no game but with all the controllers you want is nice, but buying that extra game for $45-55 dollars is going to hurt.

However,

$149.99 can you get that extra game, and all the sudden you feel like you are getting a better deal.

For this reason, I believe Nintendo will either have a demo disk, or a simple fledging game that they can pack into the system.  Something simple, fun, and multiplayer.  Along with that I believe a few free game downloads will actually come pre-installed on the system, so that buyers and gamers will know the service is out there.  

Imagine randomly pre-installed NES game and SNES game on your Revolution.  Instantly you build suspense and surprise with your purchase.  As you advertise the abililty to download the "virtual console"

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 05:37:23 AM »
Honestly, I don't believe a Mario pack-in will sell more Revs. Back in the day, the people buying NES were either the hardcore that were put off by the implosion of Atari and the arcades or kids. The SNES succeeded because of 'Ian's rule' - as long as the market leader doesn't screw up, they won't tank.

Spak has a point - Nintendo is cheap, and the general trend has been away from pack-ins.

I don't think we'll get a full game, but we'll definitely get some sort of built-in demo and chat functionality for the non-gamers spak mentioned.

All that said, if we do get a pack-in game, it should be a multiplayer bonanza, not a 3D platformer. (That said, I do want Mario at launch)

I do believe that one major VC game should be packed-in, or it should be released at a reasonably small cost.

Aight I'm out.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution Bundled with Mario
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 05:59:06 AM »
Maybe they'll pack in the NES Super Mario Bros. AND Duck Hunt.

Mario Bros. from the NES seems the king of all retro titles, my aunt taught me how to keep hitting a green shell against the stairs to get extra lives. And Duck Hunt would be an EXCELLENT demo for the gyroscopic pointer.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 06:20:52 AM »
Yeah Kairon I'd LOVE to see Duck Hunt again.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 06:27:53 AM »

Honestly... as much as i'd LOVE this to happen, I don't think a new Mario game will be ready for launch. Last time Miyamoto talked about it he still didn't have a solid direction for the game, they're probably still just "experimenting".
\

Last Iwata interview he said he is pushing Miyamoto to have it ready at launch along with Smash Bros. . . . Anything is possible but really I hope its delayed a month or two.  If we get Metroid Prime 3 and SSBRevolution I dont want another AAA title being tossed in there.  I dont want all my Nintendo games tossed all at once for fear that people will ignore one of them.  Indeed they all belong to diffrent genres: FPA, fighting, and platforming, but I dunno, I kind of want some of my fav Nintendo franchises to be spaced out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 07:10:21 AM »
Launch periods have now become extended to mean the first 4 months of a launch.  I really think that is stupid.  But, Nintendo did it with the Gamecube with Pikmin, Super Smash Brothers Melee being launch games that arrived late.

Microsoft is even doing it with Xbox 360 claiming an huge launch line up however most of those games won't be out till way after January.

Truthfully, Super Smash Brothers Revolution or Mario at launch with Metroid as the mature themed game along side it will make a great launch.  Then 3-4 months later hit us with the other either SSBR or Mario will be a big boost.  

Remember, Nintendo has tons of AAA franchises to exploit.  The sooner in the first year they are out the better for moving Revolutions...and building excitement.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 08:41:49 AM »
I honestly believe that Nintendo will pack-in a gamecard good for one or two game downloads rather than Mario REV.

I really see this happenening. Then again, the most popular game downloads will probably be the first Mario or Super Mario World, so it's kinda taking away the from the sh!itload of profit that could arise from those two games alone.

Still, packing-in a gamecard would get consumers aqquainted with the Virtual Console. Plus, as they are looking for Mario, simply scrolling through the mass quantity of games is sure to entice consumers to buy a couple more sometime. Honestly, the VC could become the most addictive and most profitable aspect of the REV. The pack-in gamecard could just jump-start that addictiveness.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 08:51:29 AM »
See, I really like the Random Download idea for a pack in.

Nintendo could easily just give you 1 of 10 NES and 1 of 10 SNES games they are allowing available for Download, and you really have no idea which one you are getting.  It creates instant buzz and instant community and discussion.  Which games did you get packed in?  I got Punch Out and F-Zero, you?  I got Mario 2 and Pilot Wings.  COOL!  I never played Pilot Wings let me try it some time.

Then a free download could be available for those that REGISTER their Revolution on Nintendo.com.  Of course this doesn't allow you to experience the Revolutionary controller fully...so I predict that some sort of simple addictive demo disk be provided.  Something like 5-10 little basic games that can be played multiplayer that will introduce everyone to the concept.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 09:09:27 AM »
OMG...Random free download? That'd be an AWESOME idea!

And it'd also be a good test for a system of offering a specific downloadable game as a reward for pre-ordering a new Rev game, ala the Zelda bonus disc.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 09:20:23 AM »
if they do make a mario revolution it iwll probably be a groundbreaking game..... they should pack it in with revolution. That way everyone has it. Those also who fell off of the mario bandwagon might just jump back on...

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 09:24:40 AM »
If it's as groundbreaking as we hope, then there is no need to pack it in. I mean, did they pack-in Mario 64? No, yet everyone has that game because its so damn good. It would be redundant and alot of potential sales could be lost.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 02:35:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
However, I do believe this will be the first console system (since when?) that will launch with a game packed in.  The reason I believe this is because of the focus on the none gamer.

To reach the non-gamer and to reach all who have never bought a game system, EVERYTHING must be packed in and ready to play from the instance you open then box.  If you have to buy the analog nunchuk, or the Shell base unit, or the first game then the preceived value is less.

$99 dollars with no game but with all the controllers you want is nice, but buying that extra game for $45-55 dollars is going to hurt.

However,

$149.99 can you get that extra game, and all the sudden you feel like you are getting a better deal.
Yeah...but if the console is $99 then you can buy ANY game for $50, not only Mario. If they packed it in for $129.99, though...

And the Revolution should DEFINITELY include a demo disc which gives you countless short demos of how the Rev controller can be used in all the scenarios imaginable, with games from as many genres as possible. This should also include some multiplayer games. It should be the one thing that makes everyone understand the Revolution.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »
$99 is waaay too underpriced. That makes the console look bad, especially if it comes with a free game. I don't like the free  from the start idea. It'd be better to offer bundles later on. However, the demo disk IS a good idea. While I don't think that it should feature upcomming/current Rev titles (at that time in the future), I do like the series of mingames idea. A turturial with maybe some franchise characters explaining the Rev and its features would work. Perhaps, having it saved on the Rev's hardware would be a good idea?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 03:35:20 PM »
Well yeah, I don't like $99 at all either, but I was using Spak's example to show my view on the bundle. The GameCube was perceived as worse because of its price, and it still is, even though it's so much more powerful than a PS2. I really think that Nintendo shouldn't go too low, since it will be looked at as the "cheap" console which is suspicious since it costs so much less.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 04:19:56 PM »
No I think Nintendo SHOULD pack Mario in at LAUNCH, but only for a limited time to help sell those first few million systems to gain 3rd party support and build momentum, then sell the game seperately to those who bought a core system latter on. Because that way every one gets a rev right of the bat AND aa great Mario game to play, that will add to teh Nostalgia of the system since teh last time a system had a Mario bundle was SNES.  

Including Mario as a packin will attract the retro gamers and the non gamers alike in addittion to the hardcore fans and gamers. I beleive this die hard because  the non gamers will want mario cuz its something they can pick up and play, as long as its simple enough like the original Mario Bros or Super Mario Bros, because non gamers recognize mario and will want to see what its like especialy once they learn all the features the rev has.

Next the Retro gamers, my label for the older gamers who mostly buy compliations or childhood favorites, will want it because they will remember way back when they got thoer first NES/SNES and want to take a trip down memory lane. Coupled with the Demo disk and the Virtual Console ideah this will go over big time not just for people in their 20s but older people also, I knwoa  LOT of grandparents who will still sit down and play thier old NES systems JUST CUZ of Mario bros and the many simple games for that system.

Then the hard core fans will get one also and have something to play along with whatever other titles they pick up.

The system shoudl also include a Demo disk and AT LEAST 1 free download, either built int or a card or whatever to chose a game. I would HIGHLY expect DUCK HUNT to be the retro game in addition to an updated version on either the Demo Disk or included as a seperate game with Clay Shooting and some other mini games that will 'emulate' Light gun games.

NOT inlcuding Mario as a pack n but making it a seperate purchase will make more money for Nintendo AT FIRST but if it doesnt sell systems and build userbase/hype all is lost. GC had HYPE and a pretty good launch, but it lost the momentum once sunshine came into the picture and realy turned a lot of people off. Not that it was a HORRIBLE game but not what most nintendo or Mario fans were looking for.  I think teh CORE sysetm, just teh machine and 1 controller no accessories, well maybe a shell OR Nunchuck, should be priced at 149.99 LAUNCH.

The Mario Bundle witha Demo disk and analong attachment and shell would price 179.99 and

then the super value pack would include the Mario game, Demo disk, 2 controllers and both attachments plus a card for a free download for a retro game.

Also every system should come with a Demo disk packed in and a DL presintalled, preferable Duck Hunt or maybe Super mario Bros, cuz most people will already have that game for GBA by now, or on thier old NES and arent likely to DL it, plus they will just DL Mario ALL Stars anyways and get upated version that way.

Anyways if Nintendo has been working on this "Mario 128" since GC launch and if its true REV dev kits are so similar to GC kits it wont take them too long to get a game ready for launch.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 04:56:47 PM »
The free downloads thing wont be effective because not enough people have a broadband internet connection, it should be something everyone can access.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 05:06:19 PM »
Mario:  The Random Download I am talking about is ALREADY installed in the memory.  This allows people that don't have the broadband to enjoy the games.  Then when you register your Revolution then you can get another free game.  Registration would indicate being able to get online somehow, and being able to then download a game.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 05:18:01 PM »
So all the games are stored in the memory? Or just one game, that Nintendo randomly shoves in during production?

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 05:46:08 PM »
I think a pack-in Mario game would be nice, but I think they'll go with a demo and maybe a free download or two. If Mario 128 is as big a hit as Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario 64, then it would be better for Nintendo not to bundle it in. If the game is a hit then everyone will buy it anyway! I think it would be best for Rev to be bundled with Mario later down the road though, a good few months after launch to pull in those few who need that little extra incentive.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 07:24:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
So all the games are stored in the memory? Or just one game, that Nintendo randomly shoves in during production?
I think Spak's saying that 10 or so of the most popular games will be emedded in the Revolution, and available to unlock without internet. However, it would be easy for people to hack the system and get the games free of charge if that were the case..