Author Topic: On-campus?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Feep

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
On-campus?
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:36:33 PM »
As a student of the University of Florida, I would simply LOVE it if I could sit in Circuits class and play MKDS all day online. The campus features an extensive wireless network, but to prevent vagrants and bums from getting free internet, they require a username and password to log-on (which, of course, I have). While the DS doesn't have web browser functionality, the log-in page features an ability to log on a "guest" machine, and it asks for the IP address of the device which wants to use the network. Here's the issue...the IP address is not obtained until the DS physically connects to the network. However, upon connection, it IMMEDIATELY goes into a "testing" phase, which I assume involved pinging a restricted network, and it NEVER ends. When the DS gets here, I have to turn it off. Thus, there is no way for me to see the IP address the DS obtains to enter into the log-in page, and thus, I can't make this work. Anyone with any ideas? I'm open to suggestions...  
Al' Ellisande, Al' Ellisande. Arek du arest cont alle axio, te arira.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: On-campus?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 01:42:46 PM »
I believe in those circumstances, you can plug the USB connector from Nintendo into your laptop, log in there and piggy back the connection via the USB connector.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »
Yep. It's the same here at FSU (Go Noles!). We need to log in with our FSUID to get on the network, in whice case I'd need a USB thingy to play here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 03:49:46 PM »
my university is wireless im going to test it tommorow in the union
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 06:30:21 PM »
Its interesting that they ask for an IP address... as all wireless devices don't have an IP until they get a signal usually...

Are you positive it isn't asking for the MAC Address?  If it is by some chance asking for the MAC address, you're in luck, because that is in the WiFi setup.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NuclearSpeed

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:On-campus?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »
You can actually setup your DS for a static IP if you know all the info that you need for the network there. I know I have some fiddling I need to do on monday when I have time between classes to see if I can get it to reach the nintendo wifi server.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 07:28:47 PM »
ah!! i can't get it to work at my university
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 09:10:41 PM »
Go find the IT desk.  Especially if you live on campus, they should be able to configure the software on their end to make your DS's MAC address a special case.  Now, if they're not willing to help you out, then you'll have to go the USB route.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi