Author Topic: I want to make a black and white game(not black and white)  (Read 7373 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
I want to make a black and white game(not black and white)
« on: February 21, 2005, 04:59:09 AM »
I want to make a detective game that is in black n white. I Beleive that if i were to do this i could use the lack of color to really paint realistic images. The absense of colors means i can do all sorts of things wit hthe textures and lighting that you couldnt do with a colored game because A. It wouldnt look right B it would be too complicated.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: I want to make a black and white game(not black and white)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 05:22:12 AM »
Film noir is completely underrated so I give the idea my sign of approval... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:I want to make a black and white game(not black and white)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 06:25:08 AM »
Hey I love the idea.  If done right Black and White could be very cool.  Designing the game right limited color could add to a great means of designing stealth, lighting effects, and atmosphere.  

I could see using grey's for facial and clothing details, and graphic effects, with Black and white being the colors for the background.  

One thing you will have to be careful of is if you do black in white you are going to need extremely nice and detailed textures to bring the appearance to an eye friendly level.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 11:23:40 AM »
Yeah, I like this idea, I'm actually surprised it hasn't been used much in existing games.  The only game I saw with extensive use of black and white was Plok, which had a bunch of silent movie themed levels.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 11:33:28 AM »
Snake's nightmare in MGS3.

But a detective film noir game would be awesome with the right art and tech.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 12:22:59 PM »
I would actually love to see a whole game done like this just to see how it all comes together.  Too bad average day gamers would be like, WHERE'S THE c0l0Rz 0010111!  THIS GAME'S GRAPHICS ARE PS1 LEVEL, even if it managed to next-gen effects.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 04:48:05 PM »
actually, i think it would probably look better graphically...think about this...there are alot of things you can use the same texture for somply because you don't have to vary the color...and chances are you could work to mix textures more effectively.

Also i was having my finger printed for my job recently...i noticed something really cool...when they finger print you they start off with one side of your finger and roll it out....it looked just like a gameskin...and i thought...hmm what if we took sections of a persons face...inked it and put it on paper...we could then stick these prints and use them for bump mapping.

Besides a Noir Game...it be cool to do a horor game too

also what i would do is i would create a sort of hyper imposed shadowing....think of how you see things regular shaded...it goes in a gray scale spectrum...think about cell shading it takes that spectrum...takes about 20 percent of that spectrum and makes it one color and the other 80 percent and makes it another.....imagine if you did regular shading...but then at the last 20 percent turned it into a sudden black in a black and white game.  or perhaps 5% white 75 percent shaded 20 percent black....

http://theperm.tetrametrics.com/Misc/ModPic.jpg

i did that picture ages ago in paint brush...each face is two colors only....i think however they look really damn good.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 03:14:57 AM »
Hmmm.

After seeing your pictures I thought, why not just have flat colors.  Create a world in Black and White, and use flate colors for people.  This would allow that same look you desire, but also allow characters and action to standout.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 06:01:09 AM »
And if we continue this debate we end up with Rez.

Just make sure to use 8 bit, 16 bit is awful for greyscale (look at PN03 for an example of the artifacts created by 16 bit).

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 07:48:38 AM »
Why don't you just turn off the color on your television?  Then you can play black and white Eternal Darkness, Wind Waker, and RE4.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 08:26:12 AM »
i know your probably just joking...but the idea of using just black and white is to take advantage of the things you can get away with that you cant get away with in color.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 08:45:17 AM »
I've played a great black & white game before.  It's called Metroid II: The Return of Samus.  And in elementary school I had a friend whose parents wouldn't let him hook his NES to the living room TV so we had to play it downstairs on their black & white TV.  It was like playing the Gameboy on the TV years before the the Super Gameboy.  It actually improved the graphics somewhat I felt.

I like the idea of black & white game.  That could be a really cool effect though I think it likely woudn't sell all that well unfortunately.  Now do you have any solid ideas for the gameplay?  A neat graphic effect doesn't mean much if the game isn't too hot.  If I want that I'll play XIII.  Think up some solid gameplay ideas and then build the graphics around it.  If you think "graphics first" the gameplay is going to be hurt.

Personally I think a graphic adventure like the classic Lucasarts SCUMM games could work really well with a detective approach.  If you're already going with an arty graphic style that will limit the game to niche appeal why not use a genre that has niche appeal?  Those who still appreciate a graphic adventure will appreciate intentional black & white visuals.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 10:13:12 AM »
How about a code in Nano Breaker that causes graphics to be in black and white except for the "oil"?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 11:29:12 AM »
'"I've played a great black & white game before. It's called Metroid II: The Return of Samus"

Game Boy pocket?  Cuz otherwise I remember it being 4 shades of luscious green.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 11:39:26 AM »
Spinach colour.  Black & white.  What's the difference?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 07:34:35 PM »
well, i really liked Shenmue and Deja Vu.....So i would make something a cross between those..of course better.
Also, i want a game that takes advantage of the microphone...imagine a game where you ask an npc a question verbally...and through his ai skills ala seaman he answers your question. Also imagine giving certain characters commands like "hey lets go to the store" and they come with you.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
Make a game like Shadowrun, but in the film noir style you mentioned, and it is a friggin hit.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 08:07:32 PM »
damn right

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 08:22:18 PM »
Sprung on the DS had some very fun, but very silly Noir parody bonus levels if you care to pick it up. And don't be scared away by its text-gameplay dating sim nature, the game is a HY-LARIOUS.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 08:45:50 PM »
Twilight Realm
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 09:35:24 PM »
How about the Sin City approach? I thought that was fantasic with the Black & White, with colors here and there to show off characters in a different light. I find that the colors really shine when there's more presence of black and white, but I guess that's to be expected
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 06:54:06 AM »
I would hope it be used like the lack of voice for Mario and Link.

With Black and White they give all the implication of what they want you to see but it's up to you to fill in the color.  Sort of like we all know that if Link or Mario talked they wouldn't be the kick-   characters that they are.  There are very few games where the voice acting actually helps when there is a text box.  In fact I find that most of the time the expressions that are shown in the little portrait detract too.  Though the emoticon system used in Golden Sun was great.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 09:13:12 AM »
I have desired to create a hide and go seek game for a long time.  I know it sounds silly, but an online game where you play various types of tag games would be awesome with great level design and manuevers.  

My only problem I had was designing an engine that would allow for hiding.  Perhaps something that allows you  to blend character models together when they are hiding or something.  

Anyway,  a limited color palate would probably lend itself better to this design, so that you can easily have characters blend in and hide.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 01:22:13 PM »
hope sadness kicks ass

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 01:58:07 PM »
It sounds tough to do artistically, because you're inverting everything you know about how to draw a scene. But when a genius like Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbe's fame does it...gorgeous...*drool*

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.