Author Topic: Smash Bros. Ultimate Piranha Plant Review  (Read 2318 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Smash Bros. Ultimate Piranha Plant Review
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »

The Smash Ultimate roster grows.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/49558/smash-bros-ultimate-piranha-plant-review

As a big fan of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I was happy to see that newcomer Piranha Plant sprouted a few days ahead of its previously stated February release date alongside the 2.0.0 update. Piranha Plant was briefly available as a promotional character and is now available to purchase. But is Piranha Plant worth all the hype?

I must admit, when Piranha Plant was first revealed as a playable character I was a bit taken aback. I’m a huge Mario fan, but this didn’t seem like the character I or anyone had been asking to have playable in Super Smash Bros. games. Piranha Plant seems way less deserving of a roster spot than a highbrow character like Waluigi. That said, after getting my hands on her, she really grew on me.

Piranha Plant is a very unique Smash Bros. character in many ways. All of her special moves seem to have utility. The Piranhacopter (Up Special) is a pretty good recovery and can be directed in unique ways. It also damages opponents if the spinning leaves hit them. Ptooie (Neutral Special) causes a spiked ball to hover above the mouth of Piranha Plant. This spiked ball can be thrown left or right at a few different angles and speeds. Poison Breath (Side Special) can be charged and causes a poison cloud to briefly stay on part of the stage. At a full charge this move is powerful and large. It’s also possible to hide behind it so opponents don’t know what your next move will be. And finally there is the Long-Stem Strike (Down Special). This move can be charged and causes Piranha Plant to hide in her pot before launching out at long distances with a powerful bite. It’s possible to tilt the character’s pot over to change the angle, and players can even use it in the air.

As I said earlier, a lot of these moves allow for some creative uses and provide fun and unique gameplay. Piranha Plant also has a decent Up Smash, good Neutral Air attack, and a solid Back Air that can be used as a kill move. The Ptoooie and Long-Stem Strike attacks also make it seem like this character can prevent opponents from getting the drop on her. Piranha Plant seems to have very poor grab though.

For those that play Smash Bros. with Final Smashes, you’ll be in for a treat. Piranha Plant summons Petey Piranha, who will try to trap other combatants in a cage, spit fire at them, and then smash them against the ground for a possible kill. I don’t think this is a top-tier Final Smash, but it sure is fun!

I’ve managed to make it to Elite Smash using Piranha Plant and feel the character has potential, but she seems to get shut down by projectile heavy characters. Maybe I still have a lot to learn, but I think characters like the three Links, Samus, Dark Samus, and more may be able to really counter Piranha Plant on a competitive level. Again, the character is still relatively new and it may take some time to adjust and to figure out all the strategies, especially when Piranha Plant seems to reward creative use of her special moves.

Piranha Plant also has some cool victory poses at the end of matches, especially the one featuring Mario, as well as an enjoyable Palutena’s Guidance for all you Kid Icarus Uprising fans.

Overall, I may not be happy that Piranha Plant stole Waluigi’s spot on the roster, but I can’t argue that the character is extremely unique and fun to play. Those that picked up the character through the promotional giveaway can try her out now for free, but the rest of you Smash Bros. fans should definitely pick her up now that she is available to buy, especially if you like playing characters that are just a little bit different.

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Smash Bros. Ultimate Piranha Plant Review
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 03:04:17 AM »
I found this to be an odd character too, but was thrilled by seeing the moveset in the trailer. They sure went all out on making a unique fighter! If they choose other odd-end characters, I hope they all have the level of wackiness as Piranha Plant (who I don’t feel is alone already. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer all remind me of this!).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:02:47 PM by Morningshark »
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
"She"? ???

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:32:12 AM »
I found this to be an odd character too, but was thrilled by seeing the moveset in the trailer. They sure went all out on making a unique fighter! If they choose other odd-end characters, I hope they all have the level of wackiness as Piranha Plant (who I don’t feel is alone already. Game and awatch, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer all remind me of this!).

Aside from the uncoventional name, should Duck Hunt really have been a surprise? Unlike the others, people had been asking for the dog for years. In fact, it's still mind boggling to me that Ice Climbers made it in first.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »
"She"? ???

Yeah. Gender confirmed by Palutena's Guidance.

EDIT: Just realized the "she" probably doesn't refer to the Piranha Plant.  I know it's somewhere though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:53:59 AM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
Piranha plant is actually purchasable now.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »
"She"? ???

Yeah. Gender confirmed by Palutena's Guidance.

EDIT: Just realized the "she" probably doesn't refer to the Piranha Plant.  I know it's somewhere though.
Yeah, I figured that's where you got that idea. But "she" was definitely Viridi. It's pretty safe to say Piranha Plant is an "it".

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »
Aside from the uncoventional name, should Duck Hunt really have been a surprise? Unlike the others, people had been asking for the dog for years. In fact, it's still mind boggling to me that Ice Climbers made it in first.

It was certainly a surprise to me! If you were to create a list of the NES characters, then sure it'd be up there. But I still would have thought a lot of the characters added to Ultimate (Ridley or Simon for instance) would have shown up prior.
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com