Author Topic: Name That Movie  (Read 37447 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Name That Movie
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:22:58 AM »
This game is really simple, name a movie based on the clues. The clues are substituting the actors names for their characters names. I'll Host. Every 2 weeks there will be a champion. You get 100 points every time someone is first to name that movie.

First movie:

Ivan Vanko and Aunt May fall in love.

name that movie.

-----Hi Scores-----
1. Rygar 1310
2. Shyguy 350
3.  Khushrenada 300
4. Mop it Up 100
5.Brandogg 100
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:13:44 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Name That Movie
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 03:48:34 AM »
*fires up google*

*forgets what I'm looking for and looks up pictures of cats.*

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »
The Wrestler

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »
The Wrestler

Yeah, I'd say Rygar has it. That would be my choice.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »
Titanic!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:22:34 PM »
We're gonna need a bigger boat...... to show that iceberg who's boss!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
This game is really simple, name a movie based on the clues. The clues are substituting the actors names for their characters names. I'll Host. Every 2 weeks there will be a champion. You get 100 points every time someone is first to name that movie.

First movie:

Ivan Vanko and Aunt May fall in love.

name that movie.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 02:12:12 AM »
100 Points Rygar

They may get more and more cryptic as rounds go on. Also, additional Rule. If you can find a move that isn't the intended movie, but it works: You still get 50 points.

I have not seen a Fool for Love. Kim Basinger plays a character named May. If she is an aunt in that movie(or based on the synopsis I just read, gets pregnant), Phil gets 50 points.

Next Movie.

Forest Gump's Mom and the Genie get a Divorce.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:26:28 AM by ThePerm »

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 07:14:42 AM »
Mrs. Doubtfire

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:16:57 AM by rygar »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »
Sally Field is the mom in that movie? Wow. I don't remember that at all. Truthfully, I only remember Robin Williams and Pierce Brosnan being in it and only saw it once years ago and didn't think it was that great. All I can remember of the mother was a lady with black hair. I was leaning towards her maybe being an Andie Dowell knockoff/lookalike but nothing was coming to me on the face or character.

I was trying to think of Robin Williams movies where he may have had a divorce since I figured I could think of more Williams movies than Field movies but Mrs. Doubtfire never even occurred to me. I had completely forgotten about it. Thus, I was leaning towards it maybe being a Williams film I'd never seen like The Fisher King or The Angriest Man in Brooklyn which may have had a divorced Williams and Field in it because I didn't know enough details on them but playing a divorced character seemed like a possibility there. 

(And, yeah, I could have just gone to IMDB and quickly scanned through Fields and/or Williams movies to see what may have crossed over between their acting credits but I'm not interested in doing that with this game. If I get an answer, I want the satisfaction of it being because I legit already know the facts.)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
100 Points Rygar

They may get more and more cryptic as rounds go on. Also, additional Rule. If you can find a move that isn't the intended movie, but it works: You still get 50 points.

I have not seen a Fool for Love. Kim Basinger plays a character named May. If she is an aunt in that movie(or based on the synopsis I just read, gets pregnant), Phil gets 50 points.

Next Movie.

Forest Gump's Mom and the Genie get a Divorce.

More easy points for me.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
How is that easy points? Sally Field isn't in Kazaam nor do Shaq and her divorce in the movie. It doesn't match the description ThePerm gave of the movie.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
How is that easy points? Sally Field isn't in Kazaam nor do Shaq and her divorce in the movie. It doesn't match the description ThePerm gave of the movie.

Am I not at a level where I'm not seen as joking around yet in Funhouse topics?  :confused;

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 05:33:42 PM »
Well, you first post of 9-1/2 weeks wasn't exactly a laugher and ThePerm treated it seriously so I thought this was also a serious post and guess. (Plus, I also contemplated whether the Genie actor might be Shaq but ruled it out so it further added to me taking your post as a serious guess since you went down a path I thought about.)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »
Titanic!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 06:19:37 PM »
Ivan Drago and Richard Nixon **** **** up
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »
Well, you first post of 9-1/2 weeks wasn't exactly a laugher and ThePerm treated it seriously so I thought this was also a serious post and guess. (Plus, I also contemplated whether the Genie actor might be Shaq but ruled it out so it further added to me taking your post as a serious guess since you went down a path I thought about.)

Hmm. Maybe this is why new users don't like it here and leave. You have to fit Mr. Mod's sense of humor or you're talked down to. Hmm. How interesting. There's plenty of other reasons, too, like not fitting in with the clique. Maybe this place deserves to shrivel up and die, or be a community of the same 10-15 people posting jokes and quips that the clique circle jerks to.

Now, quick, someone make fun of my tag to completely dismiss me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:04 PM »
I don't care if you guys use imdb or oracle of bacon. The goal of the game is to be first. There is a factor of testing movie knowledge.

Mrs. Doubtfire was correct. 100 Points Rygar

Ivan Drago and Richard Nixon **** **** up

Masters of the Universe

That was a hard one because so many people have played Richard Nixon.

Next Movie
Franklin D. Roosevelt and the King of Spain compete in an ancient game.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 10:25:05 PM »

Hmm. Maybe this is why new users don't like it here and leave. You have to fit Mr. Mod's sense of humor or you're talked down to. Hmm. How interesting. There's plenty of other reasons, too, like not fitting in with the clique. Maybe this place deserves to shrivel up and die, or be a community of the same 10-15 people posting jokes and quips that the clique circle jerks to.

Now, quick, someone make fun of my tag to completely dismiss me.

Whoa, Phil! You're reading my comment all wrong. It wasn't an attempt to talk down to you. That was not my intent at all. I was just trying to clearly explain why I misunderstood that your Kazaam guess was meant as a joke and why I took it as a serious guess. That was all. When I said that 9-1/2 Weeks wasn't a laugher, I was referring to the fact that it is a drama and serious mood type of film and not a comedy. I can't think of any occasions where the film is used for a joke. Kazaam I get as a joke since that movie is often made fun of and used as a punchline. As well, Kazaam had nothing to do with the real movie answer whereas 9-1/2 Weeks had Mickey Rourke starring in it which was part of the criteria for the first answer.

With Mop it up guessing Titanic, I can tell that's a joke since it doesn't match up at all with the clues given. Since your selections did and you seemed to be addressing ThePerm's comment of the new rule where he mentioned possibly giving you 50 points for the 9-1/2 Weeks guess, I thought you were trying to play the game seriously with both your picks. I get it now. It just wasn't clear to me before and that's why I was confused about your second guess and thought you misread something.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:16:10 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 12:52:06 AM »
I needed IMDB to confirm the King of Spain which was just a guess on my part.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 01:20:18 AM »
I said they would get harder.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 03:53:23 AM »
I needed IMDB to confirm the King of Spain which was just a guess on my part.

So, did you figure it out?

I'm stumped on this one. There are a lot of actors who have played FDR and I can't think of movies with a King of Spain aside from possibly Elizabeth: The Golden Age and I've never seen that and don't know who would be playing the King of Spain in it. For some reason, the only FDR actor I can think of is Bill Murray who played him in something called Hudson on Hyde Park or a title close to that. So, now I'm just thinking of what kind of movies Bill Murray has appeared in that might feature an ancient game. Like would it be Caddyshack with golf? That doesn't feel right. So what could be an ancient game? Chess? Can't think of Bill Murray in any movies involving Chess. What else might be considered an ancient game? Maybe it can be solved that way. That's where I'm at on this current question.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 05:58:01 AM »
I hadn't heard of the second film. It seems obscure enough you'd have to be a pretty big film or art person to know it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:02:05 AM by rygar »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 06:34:48 AM »
This one is a little harder to google. Which I hadn't anticipated. If I had given more direct clues it might be solved right away. I have to say though, in these challenges I am more likely to favor famous actors. I don't want it to be too hard. I'd like to give hints, but that could ruin the game. If I give hints they have to be really really cryptic.
You might treat each word with a grain of salt, or maybe extra research into things might get you somewhere. Sometimes word substitution for synonyms might be helpful.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:50:42 AM by ThePerm »

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
I was worried I was ruining the game so I didn't offer the solution, but I was able to get the second film through google (I miswrote IMDB last night) immediately because I had a suspicion re the second actor's identity. There is a tiny hint in my edited reply to Khush, but if you can get it from that, you probably would have remembered the movie.