Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273774 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 2: Joy-Con Boogaloo)
« Reply #1050 on: October 04, 2018, 10:01:09 PM »
There were two screen types on the New 3DS: TN and IPS. Generally, you wanted the latter.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: October 04, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »
According to Rich at ReviewTechUSA on The YouTubes, his source said it's a more powerful Switch. It's an 18 minute video so here are some details:

1. Nintendo wants hardware capable of competing with next generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft.

2. Nintendo is prioritizing third party support. A hardware revision would allow Nintendo to get some ports of third party titles on those consoles similar to how Switch gets some current generation ports.

3. Nintendo has been working on this for three or four years, concurrently with the current Switch. Nintendo waited for the tech to be cheaper.

4. MSRP $399.99.

5. 512 GB of internal memory.

6. Custom SOC.

7. Same hardware performance as PS4.

On that last point, the first thing that came to mind was:
For BlackNMild

Rich's source speculated that Nintendo will announce the revision in January, launch late 2019. Also, Nintendo worked with the Wall Street Journal to leak some of the details.

There's a lot to unpack here. Most of it does not sound like Nintendo. Then again, Nintendo has been doing a lot of atypical Nintendo things since launching Switch.

I still think Nintendo should aim down and focus on dropping the price. I've also bought Nintendo revisions so perhaps I'm not one to talk. Maybe Nintendo's strategy is to have a lower-cost entry level Switch and a top of the line Switch. Several years ago, Satoru Iwata spoke about iOS and Android as "common platforms."

Here's the exact quote:
Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.
I mean, if Rich's source is correct, that certainly sounds like what Nintendo is planning. Seems complicated. Then again, Nintendo has done a lot of things I didn't think could or should be done. At this point, I'm more willing to bet on Nintendo than against it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: October 04, 2018, 11:01:05 PM »
I bet that's all horse ****. It's just gonna be a revised chipset and new LCD which equates to longer battery life. Nintendo is going to surpass Xbox One within the next few months and isn't even competing with PS4. Maybe they'll expand internal storage, but it will still be a Tegra X1 with 4GB RAM.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 04, 2018, 11:12:47 PM »
I just hope they call this new revised hardware "Bait".
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »
I don’t really have a strong opinion on ReviewTechUSA’s info either way. There are merits to releasing a high end revision or something subtler.

I already own a Switch so I have no need for a smaller revision. I’d buy a revision with vastly improved performance eventually though $399.99 is a lot. I’d have to go post history diving, but I feel like I once said that was my line in the sand.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: October 05, 2018, 12:30:38 AM »
With me being all-digital and the price and size limitation of Micro SD cards, a substantial increase in internal storage would be a big selling point in a possible revision for me. That alone probably wouldn't do it, though, and I don't know that there's anything else I really need that's not in the current model.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 05, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
On the bright side, a compelling revision would tempt me to double dip and finally be able to play Pac-Mac Vs without begging a friend with a system to come over for the full experience.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: October 05, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
According to Rich at ReviewTechUSA on The YouTubes, his source said it's a more powerful Switch. It's an 18 minute video so here are some details:

1. Nintendo wants hardware capable of competing with next generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft.

2. Nintendo is prioritizing third party support. A hardware revision would allow Nintendo to get some ports of third party titles on those consoles similar to how Switch gets some current generation ports.

3. Nintendo has been working on this for three or four years, concurrently with the current Switch. Nintendo waited for the tech to be cheaper.

4. MSRP $399.99.

5. 512 GB of internal memory.

6. Custom SOC.

7. Same hardware performance as PS4.

On that last point, the first thing that came to mind was:
For BlackNMild

Rich's source speculated that Nintendo will announce the revision in January, launch late 2019. Also, Nintendo worked with the Wall Street Journal to leak some of the details.

There's a lot to unpack here. Most of it does not sound like Nintendo. Then again, Nintendo has been doing a lot of atypical Nintendo things since launching Switch.

I still think Nintendo should aim down and focus on dropping the price. I've also bought Nintendo revisions so perhaps I'm not one to talk. Maybe Nintendo's strategy is to have a lower-cost entry level Switch and a top of the line Switch. Several years ago, Satoru Iwata spoke about iOS and Android as "common platforms."

Here's the exact quote:
Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.
I mean, if Rich's source is correct, that certainly sounds like what Nintendo is planning. Seems complicated. Then again, Nintendo has done a lot of things I didn't think could or should be done. At this point, I'm more willing to bet on Nintendo than against it.

LOL. Thanks for thinking of me with the https youtube link :)

as far as #7 goes.... lftfy
7. Same "hardware performance" as PS4.

I'm sure they mean get very very similar looking results through much more efficient design and hardware capable of similar processes and usage of the same gaming engines.

I don’t really have a strong opinion on ReviewTechUSA’s info either way. There are merits to releasing a high end revision or something subtler.

I already own a Switch so I have no need for a smaller revision. I’d buy a revision with vastly improved performance eventually though $399.99 is a lot. I’d have to go post history diving, but I feel like I once said that was my line in the sand.

But the sands are ever shifting.... you may have to draw a new line in the sand.

But just for sake of discussion, what are some reasonable changes/additions that Nintendo could make that would make a revision worth it to you?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: October 05, 2018, 12:44:10 PM »
Matching the PS4 seems rather unrealistic and, frankly, dumb.  We're brainstorming what Nintendo could or should do with a Switch revision and the most common ideas are ways to improve the portability: improve battery life, make it run the same in handheld mode as it does docked, get the price down so each kid in the household can have their own like with the 3DS.  Increasing the specs in a significant way is going to do the opposite of that.  The price won't go down and the battery life will get worse.

This all seems too soon for something like a significant hardware revision.  The Switch isn't even two years old yet.  So a bunch of people get a Switch this Christmas, only the second Christmas where getting a Switch as a gift was even possible, and then in January Nintendo is going to say "sorry fucker, your still quite new system is obsolete!"  That's not going to go over well.  What ReviewTechUSA is suggesting sounds like effectively a new console.  Why would you announce something in January that doesn't come out until late in the year if it's just a "Switch SP" kind of deal?  That sounds like the lead time for something major.

The Switch is a huge comeback for Nintendo after the Wii U was selling in scary low numbers.  They have a product that's selling like hotcakes so they shouldn't **** that all up and piss off their existing userbase.  Also it would be such a flip-flop to go from stubbornly hanging on to the Wii U for years when it was clearly a flop from the get go to upgrading the Switch so quickly when it's selling great.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 05, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
But if they upgrade to a Switch Pro, then I would also assume that would coincide w/ a price drop on Legacy Switch

Legacy from $299.99 -> $249.99
Pro intro @ $349.99

and what about the idea of a Switch Go ($199.99), where it's slightly smaller than a normal switch, and the controllers don't detach. But also has the ability to connect to a Legacy/Pro and be used as another controller while the Legacy/Pro is in docked mode on the TV?

This will allow a switch go for all the little kids in the house.
The Legacy for the oldest kid
the Pro for the Teen/Adult

Is that too much though?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: October 05, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
I would prefer a more expensive Switch Pro over a cheaper Switch Mini, but honestly a reduced price Switch Mini would probably sell more.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 05, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
I'm sure they mean get very very similar looking results through much more efficient design and hardware capable of similar processes and usage of the same gaming engines.
That was the implication in the video. I would be impressed if the Nvidia pulled it off mostly in terms of thermodynamics.
But the sands are ever shifting.... you may have to draw a new line in the sand.
Right now, my line is $399.99 for Nintendo hardware, but there are caveats. I looked through my post history. I did mention that I would spend that much on Nintendo hardware while acknowledging that I'm the outlier in that reagrd. I haven't been able to test that. At the very least, the line is different for Nintendo. I bought a Wii U Deluxe Set at launch for $349.99. I planned on buying a PS4 in 2015; I still haven't. I'll spend money if I can justify it. I bought a $449.99 winter coat recently because I like being warm, and I've never had a really nice winter coat before. I expect it to last 15 to 20 years. I would be hesitant to spend $399.99 on a Nintendo hardware revision since, chances are, I already own the original. I guess ask me again about that line in the sand if Nintendo releases hardware at $399.99.
But just for sake of discussion, what are some reasonable changes/additions that Nintendo could make that would make a revision worth it to you?
Historically, for me, just release it and I'll buy it eventually. DSi was the only revision I bought at launch.

My list of preferred upgrades:
 1. Gorilla Glass 6 screen
 2. Whatever is the largest sized screen Nintendo can fit within the exact same footprint as the current Switch, 1080p
 3. Replaceable battery
 4. Improved battery life, may have to choose between this and greater hardware performance
 5. 1 TB internal storage
 6. Built-in bluetooth audio
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:19:05 PM by Adrock »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: October 05, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
I could see the revision adding a second micro SD card slot which would help a lot with the Switch's storage issues.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 05, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
I assume you mean 1TB internal storage...it has 32GB now, I would want them to reduce it by ~97%. I think a 1080p screen would be nice, but it would essentially to have to always be in "docked mode", but with the display enabled, for that to work.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 05, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
Yeah, it was a typo. I fixed it.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: October 05, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »
I assume you mean 1TB internal storage...it has 32GB now, I would want them to reduce it by ~97%. I think a 1080p screen would be nice, but it would essentially to have to always be in "docked mode", but with the display enabled, for that to work.
That would actually be a good way to boost performance without splitting the userbase. Just have it run the way it would docked while in handheld mode.

Glass screen isn't going to happen anytime soon because the Switch is marketed towards children who don't know how to take care of their stuff and glass cracks and shatters. A scratched screen is generally usable, a shattered one might not be.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:18:24 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1066 on: October 07, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »
The Gorilla Glass is meant to be shatterproof though, right? I'd be for that as well, as long as it doesn't make the unit heavier.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 07, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »
Gorilla glass has never been shatterproof (pretty much any popular smart phone for the past 10 years has used gorilla glass). They supposedly make it stronger with every generation, but it can always break.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: October 07, 2018, 11:12:36 PM »
I'd say shatter-resistant would be more apt. Gorilla Glass 6 is still glass so it can still crack and shatter. Corning claims its two times better than Gorilla Glass 5.

BlackNMild asked what would make a revision worth it. I wouldn't buy a smaller revision because I don't need that. If it's upgraded hardware at a higher price, I would want a glass screen. That would make it feel like more of a premium item. However, I don't think Nintendo would put a glass screen in if only because it's cheaper not to. It has nothing to do with Switch being marketed to children which honestly, sounds false. Switch's reveal trailer (the one with Nintendo Karen) famously featured no children. The "Anytime, Anywhere with Anyone" commercial didn't either. Most of them looked like millennials. And the current rumor is that the revision is a "Pro" model for $399.99. If that's the case, I really don't think Nintendo would be targeting kids. Nintendo would need to drop the price to reach more younger players.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: October 08, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »
I just hope that if a "Pro" model materializes, with maybe a down-clocked Tegra2 chip, or whatever the next step up is, that that would mean the original would get a price reduction too at the very least.

I think we all know the benefits of a "Pro" using a down-clocked Tegra2 (lowering yields on an upgraded chip, battery life, certain games that can unlock that extra power).
And then the benefits of the lower price on the classic model pushing that model to the kids and families.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1070 on: October 09, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
I think the Switch as is, is a fantastic system.  However, I can see some modifications, as I stated in another thread, I don't like the controllers. 

Now, Nintendo could just launch a bigger controller for the switch, adding more size to the controllers, but bundling in 2 of them (which would be backwards compatible with the old switch) into a slightly updated Switch model seems like a good idea.  This could help continue to sell new Switches and new controllers.  People who haven't bought the full limit of controllers for the new system might buy the new controllers.  Gamers waiting a better controller could buy the new Switch for the first time. 

Creating an experience that is perfectly identical on big screen and portal mode would be great as well.  As everyone already said a huge bump in specs would upset people.  Nintendo isn't apple and a 3 year cycle is not going to be acceptable.  Maybe 4 year, but not 3. 

The Switch was almost a perfect system, but there were definitely some problems Nintendo could fix with a smart revision and if that is what Nintendo chooses to do with the update good for them.  Fix that Kickstand, Fix the controller size and buttons.  Make portable and TV mode run identical.  Give us better storage and battery life.  Keep the price the same. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: October 11, 2018, 03:51:11 PM »
With a new Pokémon game coming out next year, I think that would be a better time to release a less expensive option rather than a premium model. I s'pose they could keep the current Switch around and lower its price, but coming out with a more affordable choice would appeal to the families who want Pokémon. If Nintendo are planning a cheaper handheld-only model, launching it with Pokémon would be the best timing for such an idea.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: October 11, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »
Yeah, a cheaper model would be in line with the goal of "one Switch-per-person".
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1073 on: October 15, 2018, 05:52:13 AM »
I kinda like the idea of kid friendly version that doesn't have controllers that slide off, however can still connect with other controllers and slide into a Switch Dock for TV mode. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 26, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0 headed to Switch

No word on a physical release. I only really want “Resident Evil 4” so if this came in a bundle, I’d probably still get it if the other two were download only. I imagine Capcom will sell these individually.