Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273829 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 2: Joy-Con Boogaloo)
« Reply #1025 on: September 14, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
Either that or they are reviving Crystal Chronicles...I just want an upgrade/remake to the original Crystal Chronicles

I just realized I called this like two months ago!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 14, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
Does anyone here know offhand if there is an adapter to connect NES / SNES Classic controllers to Switch?
Not that I know of. 8bitdo has some great Bluetooth controllers. The SNES ones look/feel exactly like the first party ones, just wireless. Granted, buying a bunch of new controllers is more costly than buying one or two adapters for controllers you already have. I just mean if you’re angling for something with an authentic, old school feel, you have options.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 14, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
I haven't tried it myself but I believe you can use GameCube controllers via the Smash Bros. adapter when your Switch is docked, so if you have that and get one of those GameCube port adapters for NES or SNES controllers that might work
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 14, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
I just played my Wii U for the first time in a while and now I'm 100% in favor of Nintendo porting its entire library to Switch so I never have to use that console again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 14, 2018, 10:17:35 PM »
I transferred all my Wii save date to the Wii U to now longer need my Wii so I'm stuck with the Wii U if I want to play Wii games on it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 14, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »
Kinda glad I was lazy and didn't port anything to my Wii U from my Wiis. I'm surprised with how slow the Wii U is when I boot it up now. I don't think I'll re-buy everything for Switch, but I'll certainly puck up the ports of decent multiplayer games.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 15, 2018, 12:43:04 AM »
I never transferred my Wii data either. Not laziness. I wanted to justify still having a Wii though it had the additional benefit of not having to putz through the Wii U’s awful operating system to get to Wii Mode.

I pretty much only use Wii U these days for Super Smash Bros. so its days are numbered. I also have to play Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I’m pretty sure I won’t. I’m ready to just double dip on a Switch port.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 15, 2018, 04:45:22 AM »
I never transferred my Wii data either. Not laziness. I wanted to justify still having a Wii though it had the additional benefit of not having to putz through the Wii U’s awful operating system to get to Wii Mode.

I pretty much only use Wii U these days for Super Smash Bros. so its days are numbered. I also have to play Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I’m pretty sure I won’t. I’m ready to just double dip on a Switch port.
I believe if you power on the system with a Wii remote and hold B it goes straight to Wii mode.

Personally outside of the initial boot up still being a bit long I'm pretty content with the Wii U's OS. It's also much more full featured than the Switch's UI.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 15, 2018, 10:01:16 AM »
For me, the only feature Wii U’s OS has over Switch’s is the ability to file software into folders. That took Nintendo about two years to implement. I expect it on Switch eventually especially since there’s more digital content on Switch and people are buying more.

I may have used the the browser once or twice just to try it. Homebrew is possible through a browser exploit, right? I’ve never did any of that kind of stuff on any console/handheld because I was afraid I’d brick it. I’m almost at the point with Wii U where I may be willing to chance it.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 15, 2018, 10:07:20 AM »
I really hope they add folders to Switch soon. It's already pretty unwieldy for me with the 100+ games I have on there, but the NES games from the online service figure to balloon that even further. I'd also like the option of having multiple rows of icons on screen like the 3DS home menu has.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: September 15, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »
The worst part about the extra rows is that the feature is there, but you can't make it default and it reverts back. Gotta be no more than an afternoon of coding to get that tweaked, so hopefully those new UI hires they are making fix things up pronto.
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1036 on: September 15, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
It seems as though we'll be booting into an app to play the NES games, so that's something that will slip down my Switch's list until such time as I play the role of Iron Mike Sharpe in something the site's working on.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
So I gave Yoshi a spin on the NES App since I have a lot of nostalgia for that game. Not tried any of the online features yet. How is the online multiplayer performance?
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 19, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
I never transferred anything Wii to the Wii U. I figured my Wii system works fine so no need to put extra wear on the Wii U with Wii functions.

Not that I know of. 8bitdo has some great Bluetooth controllers. The SNES ones look/feel exactly like the first party ones, just wireless. Granted, buying a bunch of new controllers is more costly than buying one or two adapters for controllers you already have. I just mean if you’re angling for something with an authentic, old school feel, you have options.
Yeah, the idea here is that I don't want to buy more controllers when I already have some that work perfectly fine. Sure they may not be as convenient as wireless controllers but I grew up with cords so I can tolerate them. One of the reasons I bought the SNES Classic was because the controllers also work on Wii U and Wii, so if I could also use them on Switch then it would be some nice added value for something I probably didn't really need.

I haven't tried it myself but I believe you can use GameCube controllers via the Smash Bros. adapter when your Switch is docked,
Oh yeah, I forgot about that port being an option. I've used the GameCube controllers for a few Switch games and aside from missing a few buttons they work just fine.

The only adapter I've managed to find for Wii plugs (the same type the SNES Classic controllers use) is one that plugs into a GameCube port, so on Switch that would mean the controller is going through two adapters. I'm not sure what that might mean for latency. Also, the adapter costs about $30 which is a little more than I was hoping for with an adapter.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 19, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »
I never transferred anything Wii to the Wii U. I figured my Wii system works fine so no need to put extra wear on the Wii U with Wii functions.

Yeah, the idea here is that I don't want to buy more controllers when I already have some that work perfectly fine. Sure they may not be as convenient as wireless controllers but I grew up with cords so I can tolerate them. One of the reasons I bought the SNES Classic was because the controllers also work on Wii U and Wii, so if I could also use them on Switch then it would be some nice added value for something I probably didn't really need.

I haven't tried it myself but I believe you can use GameCube controllers via the Smash Bros. adapter when your Switch is docked,
Oh yeah, I forgot about that port being an option. I've used the GameCube controllers for a few Switch games and aside from missing a few buttons they work just fine.

The only adapter I've managed to find for Wii plugs (the same type the SNES Classic controllers use) is one that plugs into a GameCube port, so on Switch that would mean the controller is going through two adapters. I'm not sure what that might mean for latency. Also, the adapter costs about $30 which is a little more than I was hoping for with an adapter.

Do you have some Wii U Pro controllers? Buy the bluetooth adapters and get more life out of those! Considering I paid $100 for both those Wii U Pro controllers it is nice to get more value out of them.

8bitdo and mayflash have ones for ~$20. I use the Mayflash one and it works just fine, also nice knowing that it is usable with Xbox and Playstation controllers in case a friend wants to use one of those.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 26, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »
Here are a couple noteworthy news stories:

Nintendo Keeps Switch Online Cloud Saves For 180 Days After Membership Expiry

Same as PS4. Still need local, manual backups.

PlayStation 4 gets cross-play with Nintendo Switch and Xbox One

I’m surprised Sony held out for so long. This was just a lot of unnecessary bad PR.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 26, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
I’m surprised Sony held out for so long. This was just a lot of unnecessary bad PR.

Season 6 of Fortnite starts tomorrow. Gotta get that Battle Pass $$$
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
New Switch Model 2019
« Reply #1042 on: October 04, 2018, 05:48:39 AM »
No actual details yet, but Nintendo to drop a new Swith model sometime around next summer
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-next-year-1538629322

English translation via ERA
TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.78% plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine’s first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn’t lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn’t expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.’s AAPL 1.22% iPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Between its introduction last year and June 30 of this year, Nintendo sold 19.7 million units of the Switch, a pace that compares favorably with Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, the most popular console among the current generation of videogame players. The Switch can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable game machine.

Nintendo has said it wants to sell 20 million units in the year through March 2019, and analysts say they expect sales roughly to match that goal assuming some popular software titles planned for late this year arrive on schedule. Nintendo has said it plans to introduce “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” on Dec. 7.

Videogame makers generally come out with new consoles every five to six years, and it is common for them to update the devices in the middle of their life cycles to keep the momentum going. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and updated it with a less-expensive version in September 2016 and a high-end model two months later.

A new Switch would follow that pattern. Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who created many of its top games and now holds the title of creative fellow, said in February he wanted the Switch’s life cycle to be longer than usual, suggesting next year’s update of the hardware may not be the last.

The upgraded Switch would likely share many features with the current version and be compatible with existing Switch game software.

Software makers and others in the industry are watching whether Nintendo will clarify the future of its hand-held 3DS videogame device when it decides on the next Switch.

Nintendo has said it would keep selling 3DS machines because they are a safe and affordable option for children. But new game releases for the platform have been declining and some popular franchises, including Nintendo’s own “Pokémon,” moved to the Switch this year.

An executive at one software maker said the 3DS was increasingly overshadowed by smartphones that are well-suited to portable games. He said he was waiting for a “clear message” from Nintendo about what it would do with the 3DS series when it puts out a new Switch.

—Yang Jie in Beijing contributed to this article.​

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: October 04, 2018, 06:57:06 AM »
Lies! All lies! Look how the Nintendo spokesman declined to even comment on these lies!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: October 04, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
Ars Technica mentioned that Nintendo’s primary screen supplier, Japan Display Inc., made fewer Switch displays in 2017 than it did in 2016 leading up to launch, and this may be due to the company focusing more on OLED than LCD moving forward. If Nintendo has to shift to a different supplier, an upgraded LCD may be something Nintendo just happens to get from the new supplier rather than something it actively wanted to upgrade.

Additionally, Nintendo patched the Fusée Gelée exploit a few months ago. All previously released Switch units still have that exploit because it can only be patched on a hardware level. That said, it’d make sense for Nintendo to shift to a new Tegra chip possibly on a smaller manufacturing process to forgo that extra patching step. Nintendo could use a stock 16nm Tegra X2 to improve battery life and cooling without any performance improvements.

Point being, there are reasons for Nintendo to push out a subtler revision, not that it can’t also release a New/Pro model. I’ve never been great at hot takes or predictions. I’m merely choosing to be more cautious with how I view this report. And like I said before, I think Nintendo should focus on getting the price under $200 if it wants one Switch per person rather than per household.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 04, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
I look forward to the upcoming leaks and speculation.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: October 04, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
Ars Technica mentioned that Nintendo’s primary screen supplier, Japan Display Inc., made fewer Switch displays in 2017 than it did in 2016 leading up to launch, and this may be due to the company focusing more on OLED than LCD moving forward. If Nintendo has to shift to a different supplier, an upgraded LCD may be something Nintendo just happens to get from the new supplier rather than something it actively wanted to upgrade.

Additionally, Nintendo patched the Fusée Gelée exploit a few months ago. All previously released Switch units still have that exploit because it can only be patched on a hardware level. That said, it’d make sense for Nintendo to shift to a new Tegra chip possibly on a smaller manufacturing process to forgo that extra patching step. Nintendo could use a stock 16nm Tegra X2 to improve battery life and cooling without any performance improvements.

Point being, there are reasons for Nintendo to push out a subtler revision, not that it can’t also release a New/Pro model. I’ve never been great at hot takes or predictions. I’m merely choosing to be more cautious with how I view this report. And like I said before, I think Nintendo should focus on getting the price under $200 if it wants one Switch per person rather than per household.

You're right.  Nintendo is Nintendo, so there's plenty of precedence for curveballs.  I generally agree with your educated guess though - expect this is more about leveraging the current supply chain trends and closing the loop on vulnerabilities moving forward.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1047 on: October 04, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »
Didn't Nintendo also get forced to upgrade the 3/2DS cameras at one point because no one was making VGA cameras anymore?  Getting force to upgrade screens because it's easier on manufacturers wouldn't be unprecedented for them.  But I wonder if they'll do anything to allow games to run at a higher resolution.

Still, even with just doing the things Adrock said "Better screens, better battery" makes for a good selling point in a newer model.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: October 04, 2018, 12:45:28 PM »
Doesn't the 3DS also have two different types of screens, with one being better than the other, and no way to tell which one you'll get when you buy one?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 04, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
3DS has two screens, but it doesn't satisfy my Monster Hunter addiction quite like the Switch does.
My Game Collection