Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 126869 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Prediction Challenge!
« Reply #400 on: October 25, 2018, 04:11:50 PM »
Considering that fan-requested faves like Ridley and Simon are already in the game, I can see the focus to continue to be on fan faves, and these choices as individuals seem realistic enough.

That said, the biggest thing which makes me say "fake" is the lack of a new Pokémon rep. While I s'pose anything's possible, that just seems unlikely to me.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #401 on: October 25, 2018, 10:05:44 PM »
That said, the biggest thing which makes me say "fake" is the lack of a new Pokémon rep. While I s'pose anything's possible, that just seems unlikely to me.

This is what gives me the biggest amount of doubt as well.  Every Smash has included some new Pokemon.  I vaguely remember hearing that there was a "new Pokemon" slot for Smash 4 that was waiting until all the new designs were ready.  With a gen that's already out and one that's coming, I would think they'd add something (but it is clearly too soon to add a gen 8 Pokemon.

And Mach Rider totally fits with Game&Watch/ROB/Duck Hunt as a character, so that's believable, even if it wasn't previously high on the speculation list.  The other characters seemed [too safe, but they did skip Dixie Kong, another one high on the speculation list.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 25, 2018, 11:36:26 PM »
Pokemon fans get Pokemon Trainer and Pichu again, they can sit on their seven reps. Besides, all of the Gen VII Pokemon are awful.

All of them.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #403 on: October 25, 2018, 11:48:37 PM »
Bite your tongue, sir!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 26, 2018, 12:03:19 AM »

This is what gives me the biggest amount of doubt as well.  Every Smash has included some new Pokemon.  I vaguely remember hearing that there was a "new Pokemon" slot for Smash 4 that was waiting until all the new designs were ready.  With a gen that's already out and one that's coming, I would think they'd add something (but it is clearly too soon to add a gen 8 Pokemon.

The one thing I could see justifying a lack of new Pokemon is because Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur are returning, Sakurai might feel Pokemon already has enough characters and wanted to focus resources elsewhere this time.  I mean, the only new Mario character in this game is a clone with Daisy and Zelda doesn't have any new characters.  Of course if Geno gets in it would be from Mario but he's kind of a special case and in no way someone from the main series like Toad or Waluigi who would normally have been next in line.

So far the unique new characters we got are from either franchises not represented in Smash Bros, (Splatoon and Castlevania) franchises that didn't have any new characters added in Smash 4, (Donkey Kong and Metroid) or a character from a series that was added in the last game and only had one rep (Animal Crossing).  So if Sakurai is trying to expand the variety in series represented in Smash Bros the rumored list would certainly fit the list and explain the lack of characters from the more popular Nintendo franchises in Smash Bros.

Either way, I imagine we only need to wait about 2 more weeks before the new Direct happens.  We're almost a month away from release and there's still a major game mode that hasn't been revealed yet.  Especially with the bundle coming in November it makes sense for a major event to happen soon, so we shouldn't have much longer to wait.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 26, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »
It's totally real. If it were fake, it would be one of the most elaborate fake leaks of all time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 26, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »
I don’t think overrepresentation is a concern. Sakurai added Chrom despite the roster having 37 Fire Emblem characters. Pokémon is a much larger series. I’d be shocked if it didn’t get a new fighter. I feel like Sakurai would have to look at the latest generation and say, “These are all terrible.”

We’ve seen some elaborate hoaxes. Rayman in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS was pretty good. The fake NX of a 3D printed Nintendo patent which included a Swedish keyboard in the pic and a reflection of a tree outside of Massive Entertainment, developer of “The Division,” was legendary. The guy who created it even posted in the neogaf thread. Point being, we live in an age where people will go miles out of their way to create these fakes. What’s even real anymore? I give up. We’re probably all living in a simulation.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #407 on: October 26, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »
Pokemon is in a bit of a resurgence too lately.  I think with the franchise looking to expand their base, they'd want a new Pokemon in the game.  The only thing that mucks it up is that Gen7 is (almost) over and Smash isn't the place to introduce a Gen8, so the timing is kind of awkward.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 26, 2018, 05:57:30 PM »
There's nothing that people won't fake.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 26, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »
Surprised nobody is talking about this here since it's the new hotness.

I guess because I instantly dismissed it as fake. If it is real then why couldn't it be shown or captured in a non-blurry photo? Any part of it? It's blurry to hide the editing manipulation the person did of the image. I swear the blurry image of Geno is just lifted from the SMRPG manual of him. Do. Not. Believe.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 26, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »
I don’t think overrepresentation is a concern. Sakurai added Chrom despite the roster having 37 Fire Emblem characters. Pokémon is a much larger series. I’d be shocked if it didn’t get a new fighter. I feel like Sakurai would have to look at the latest generation and say, “These are all terrible.”
That’s EXACTLY what he said.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 26, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »
I just scanned through the current state of this leak, and I think I'm coming down on it being fake. The changes in the background really seem to cast doubt on it, and most of the stuff arguing that it's real is just "There's no way someone would put that much effort into this!"

I think it's debatable how much effort it would actually take, but even if it was a ton, that's not really an argument. Some people also seem very impressed that this supposedly came from a Snapchat video instead of 4Chan, but . . . everyone knows about it because it was posted to forums with the claim that it came from a Snapchat video.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 26, 2018, 11:34:05 PM »
Pokemon is in a bit of a resurgence too lately.  I think with the franchise looking to expand their base, they'd want a new Pokemon in the game.  The only thing that mucks it up is that Gen7 is (almost) over and Smash isn't the place to introduce a Gen8, so the timing is kind of awkward.

They have that event pokemon, Zeraora that they just started handing out that could probably be easily made into an echo fighter for Lucario or something.

It's still a gen 7 pokemon but it just became officially available this year so it could easily fit the new pokemon slot without dipping into gen 8.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:40:04 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 27, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
It did get me to check out Mach Rider and vaguely consider getting it on virtual console though, so it works as Nintendo marketing either way. Could work as a Captain Falcon esque character but with a blaster instead of Falcon Punch, maybe? Although that would also mean they'd finally have to give Ganondorf an actual moveset.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 27, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
No Pokemon will EVER make it into Smash Bros. again as long as I live and breathe

BUT BRING ON THEM FIRE EMBLEM LORDS. ONLY THE ONES THAT USE SWORDS, OF COURSE

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »
I finally got my predictions made for the forum prediction challenge I came up with. Ended up posting all my reasonings and thoughts about my picks on Pietriots which you can read here although I suppose I could have used the forum posts it would have taken to write it out here.

Here's the quick rundown of my answers:

1. How many fighters will Ultimate end up having at release? Give me your number either based on unique fighters or total number of fighters including echo characters.

Going with 71 unique fighters but 79 altogether with echoes. This will result in 75 actual character select squares on the Character Select Screen due to Pokemon Trainer and Mii Fighters each having a single square.

2. Who are the remaining characters you think will be announced? Don't forget to mention if you think they will be unique or echo.

Street Fighter Ken - Echo
Shadow The Hedgehog - Echo
Incineroar - Unique
Isaac - Unique
Banjo-Kazooie - Unique

3. If the rumor is correct, then what do you think the final five stages yet to be shown will be?

Spiral Mountain - Banjo Kazooie
Mercury Lighthouse - Golden Sun
Mount Lanakila - Pokemon Sun/Moon
New Los Angeles - Xenoblade Chronicles X
Rhythm Heaven Mix - Rhythm Heaven

4. If the secret mode is called Spirits after all, what do you think the mode will contain. Shoot for 5 details.

1. Spirits Mode will be a bit like Adventure Mode in Melee. There will be a linear progression that you make and certain bosses that you will face in the same order.

2. However, you can risk / adjust how difficult you want the mode to be. Lower side of the scale means fewer bosses and stages you have to play and battle on. Higher end of the scale means more bosses and more random battle stages to play through.

3. Other fighters are possessed or under the influence of an evil entity. As you play, you can restore/revive other fighters and have them join your team a bit like Pokemon by weakening their stats to a point to try and capture them / make them join your party. The teammates will either be a CPU or another player if playing the mode with a friend.

4. At the end of the mode, your team will face a final random challenge (like Smash Run) and the teammates that survive it will then be unlocked and added to the roster.

5. Amiibo can be used to unlock characters and their stats / progress will be represented when on your team playing the mode.

5. If there is any other predication you want to make about the game, this is your chance for extra credit. Go for it!

Steve from Minecraft is an Assist Trophy
Geno from SMRPG is an Assist Trophy
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:38 AM »
The only predictions I feel good about is Ken and Shadow as Echo's and Geno being the final character shown at the end of the Direct.  I expect a new Pokemon which the rumors have pointed toward Incineroar so we'll see if that's the Pokemon.  I expect one more unique character who'd I'd like to be Elma, but wouldn't be surprised if it's someone else.

So I'm just keeping my expectations at 5 more characters so I can maybe be surprised if there's more.  I do think the hidden mode is an Adventure mode with Boss fights but whether it's more like Melee Adventure, Brawl's SSE or Smash Run is what I don't know and can't wait to see.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #417 on: November 01, 2018, 10:43:22 AM »
Well, looks like we were mostly wrong, especially about Geno.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
Well, looks like we were mostly wrong, especially about Geno.

He wasn't shown as an Assist Trophy.

DLC baby here we go. 8)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2018, 10:46:45 AM »
That was a good laugh with finishing up the roster right away with Ken and the new Pokemon. I figured there was probably another surprise character for the end, and there was, and it was a piranha plant.

So I believe with the five DLC characters that brings the final total to 80? I guess I was right about being skeptical they could go higher than that . . .

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 01, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »
The playable Pirahna Plant was genius.  I thought Geno would be considered this games WTF character because of how obscure he is but if he does get in he has a pretty normal moveset that would work for a fighting game.  Pirahna Plant on the other hand fits the bill more better since who ever thought he'd make something like that playable?

To bad he's not in the base game but being added for free later is probably going to push be to buy the digital version now since the physical version is already going to be incomplete a decade from now so might as well go digital with all the DLC.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 01, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
That was weirdly anti-climactic. I kind of feel like Sakurai should have reversed the character announcement order with the Super Smash Bros. Direct in August. Maybe he didn’t want Simon Belmont and King K. Rool to distract from that really long explanation of Spirits.

I couldn’t really tell what Spirits was at first. I guess “World of Light” is the name of Adventure Mode.

I’m not less excited about the game. My reaction to the announcements were just, “Oh.”

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
That was weirdly anti-climactic. I kind of feel like Sakurai should have reversed the character announcement order with the Super Smash Bros. Direct in August. Maybe he didn’t want Simon Belmont and King K. Rool to distract from that really long explanation of Spirits.

I couldn’t really tell what Spirits was at first. I guess “World of Light” is the name of Adventure Mode.

I’m not less excited about the game. My reaction to the announcements were just, “Oh.”

Yeah seeing Simon and K Rool today would have had a bigger impact then Ken and Incinoroar.  He kind of set expectation pretty high and failed to deliver.

I'm kind of surprised Sakurai only revealed the Adventure mode at the very end.  I imagine some of the Dracula and Monster Hunter boss footage from the last Direct is in this mode and we saw that one boss from Brawl in as well so there are boss fight in it, as well as story cut scenes.  So it looks pretty substantail in terms of content to show at the end.

I guess he wants it to be a surprise to players which is nice but kind of weird to devote so much time on how the spirits where are just modified Stickers and Equipment from the last 2 Smash Bros games instead of focusing on the mode they'll play a big part of.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #423 on: November 01, 2018, 11:24:12 AM »
btw, Geno was spotted at one point as a Spirit equipped to Shulk.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's out for good; we don't know if Spirits are like Assist Trophies where they're guaranteed to be out.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 01, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »
btw, Geno was spotted at one point as a Spirit equipped to Shulk.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's out for good; we don't know if Spirits are like Assist Trophies where they're guaranteed to be out.

Yeah in the last Smash Bros, Lucas had a normal trophy in the base game so many thought that ruled him out as coming back even as DLC.  Same with other potential DLC fighters, I wouldn't use there Spirit imagines as a reason to think they don't have a chance since they're just stat upgrades.  Especially when some of these characters Smash Bros designs could look different then what their Spirit pictures show right now.