Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537732 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6225 on: July 27, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
Wow.... Shazam was genuinely a fun movie.
My daughter loved it. Never seen her that excited during a MCU movie, so I was little surprised, but even I enjoyed it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: July 27, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »
My daughter loved it. Never seen her that excited during a MCU movie, so I was little surprised, but even I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the movie. It was just a lighthearted adventure. It was a nice change from brooding Snyderverse stuff.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: July 28, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 6/10
Very boring for most of the entire movie. The acting is excellent, but it just drags on and on. There are about 4 "good" scenes and one of them is literally just the mention of the name of a character from another, far superior, Tarantino movie. Don't waste your time, unfortunately.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6228 on: July 29, 2019, 06:57:42 PM »

I enjoyed the movie. It was just a lighthearted adventure. It was a nice change from brooding Snyderverse stuff.

It's definitely more of a kids movie.  I can see why a younger person would like it more than an adult.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: August 06, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
So today we have yet another Batman animated movie in the increasingly mediocre "DC Universe" animated movies, and like every other film in this New 52 continuity before it, Batman: Hush is extremely...mediocre. Shocking, I know.

Everything I hate about the New 52 DC animated movies is here in full swing: characters needlessly being assholes, everyone (male & female alike) having broad shoulders & elongated heads so they look like football players, Damien Wayne's mere existence, etc. But because they want an "animated universe" now, they decided to basically slap the Hush name over a completely different story. Instead of a story about Batman facing a childhood friend gone supervillain, a devious mastermind who knows his every move and plans 3 moves ahead...we get the Bruce & Selina Romance Hour (featuring some guy named Hush). Yes, they decided that what this movie really needed to be about was Catwoman reforming & having sex with Bruce for half the movie before deciding that Batman Can't Really Change (because that would mean he'd actually age). Same ol' **** goes in, same ol' **** comes out.

Oh, and I hope you weren't really looking forward to seeing how Hush was translated from the comics, because they pulled a Gotham By Gaslight on us and changed his true identity. I'm not going to spoil exactly who it is, except to say it's really stupid. It's the kind of needless stupidity I'd expect from an episode of Young Justice.

Some of the dialogue and fight scenes are good, and the characters look OK so long as they remain in profile, but I was hoping for so much more and I knew it was all downhill the moment I saw the New 52 character designs. See it if you want. It's not offensively bad like Batman & Harley Quinn. It's just incredibly...meh.

Suffice it to say that I'm not looking forward to their adaptation of The Long Halloween, which is the next Batman story being adapted. It's being done in 2 parts, but I REALLY hope they're not going to try to alter it to fit this awful continuity.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:39:07 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: August 07, 2019, 12:55:57 AM »
Man, did DC Animated go way down hill in the last few years or what? What happened?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: August 07, 2019, 05:45:13 AM »
Batman: Hush

Definitely with you on this. Another thing that really stood out was the excuse plot. It wasn't there to tell a story, it was to contrive as many villains and heroes to fight or cameo. Jammed in a Batman Vs Superman again. Oh hi Lex, here's the info Batman, **** off so I can get back to sleep as Batman is needlessly being a dick to setup some indeterminate sequel where Lex is evil again because Batman can't give him a shred of respect.

It's the usual forgot to pay the power bill dark, black on black hopelessly gloomy even in metropolis as they set the entire thing at night.

Christ if you want Batman dead just kill him already, taking a shot even Dead Shot would call BS. Turned Bane into a meat head with the same old weakness. Fights went on for so damn long.

WTF with Batman teleporting next to Catwomen.

Say what you will or get outraged by that one scene all you want at least Batman & Harley Quinn was god damn fun.

Verdict: Please stop.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: August 07, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
Man, did DC Animated go way down hill in the last few years or what? What happened?

With very few exceptions, yes. Originally, DC planned their movies to be distinct entities with their own look and continuity, as they were adapting different stories from different comic eras. Then some company decided to redefine cinema with a series of live action comic movies, and DC decided that everything should be in one continuity.

Unfortunately, the incessant need to be "edgy" and "adult" has always been a problem with DC's movies. I remember them shoehorning blood, sex, and swearing into those early DC animated movies like Superman Doomsday because "we're not a children's cartoon anymore!" The New 52 just provided character designs and writing fit for the executives' teenage mindset. And unlike the recent DC live action movies, the animated films have been produced on such small budgets that they've never failed hard enough to force a course correction. Just check out sometime just how many modern DC animated films use "Vs" in their titles.

We have a truly awful-looking Wonder Woman animated movie coming up next, also in this continuity. After that, we have 2 Superman films, one of which is an adaptation of "Superman: Red Son". I don't remember what the other one is. Batman's going to be on hiatus for a while until The Long Halloween comes out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:33:45 AM by broodwars »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6233 on: August 07, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 6/10
Very boring for most of the entire movie. The acting is excellent, but it just drags on and on. There are about 4 "good" scenes and one of them is literally just the mention of the name of a character from another, far superior, Tarantino movie. Don't waste your time, unfortunately.

I saw this last weekend.  It's not QT's best work by far.  I'm a little higher on it BranDonk, however.  The movie feels pretty aimless.  It's trying to set up one scene and eventually you get to that scene and then it just kind of ends.  I was enjoying the ride pretty much until the narration kicked in, which is right before the scene.  Even though there isn't a ton of plot, I thought the characters were fun enough to enjoy the first chunk of the movie.  And yeah, the acting is very excellent.

7.5/10

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: August 08, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
I mean don't get me wrong: great acting throughout, but it's just mostly so pointless.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6235 on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »
Yeah, but that doesn't necessarily turn me off.  It can be pointless, as long as I'm entertained, which I was.  I liked "Everybody Gets Some", and that has almost no plot whatsoever.

The one scene is the "climax", but in no way feels climatic.  That's a pretty big fault of the movie, but I think it's part of the point that it's sudden and random? I dunno.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: August 20, 2019, 09:22:29 PM »
Been a while since I posted in one of these, so I might as well add one now:

I finally got around to seeing the live action Battle Angel Alita movie, and it's...Good, but not great. I actually feel kind of annoyed now that this film won't get a sequel considering that this movie only tells at best half the story. The movie is visually interesting to look at (a tough thing to do considering how one-note Cyberpunk often comes off as), the action scenes are excellently staged, and Alita is cool & compelling without being a Mary Sue.

There were just a bunch of small thing that just pulled me away from loving the film. For instance, the film never makes it clear whether beings like Alita are androids or some Ghost in the Shell-style Cyborgs. I understand that there is tie-in material that eventually makes it clear that they are Cyborgs, and they are living beings, but that's really not clear in the actual film. I kind of ruled it out immediately when it was revealed that Alita was 3,000 years old, considering that her (organic, apparently) brain should have decomposed by then.

I also found the motor ball rollerblade death race...thing kind of annoying. Yeah, it was visually interesting, but despite how much screen time it takes up it really isn't important until the last few minutes of the film. I also for the life of me couldn't understand what the rules/objective of the game was. Yeah, I know...a person grabs the ball and then makes a run for it until they eventually shove it into a hole. I get that part. However, it's played on a race track instead of a court with no indication of whether they have to race a lap before stuffing it in; etc. I just found myself confused watching those sequences since it was hard to tell what was going on outside people decking/slicing each other.

Throw in a lot of repetitive language ("Hunter-Warrior" in particular comes to mind when just "Hunter" would have sufficed and half the characters say "bounty hunter" anyway), and it just took a while for me to warm up to the film. And by the time it did, it was over on a To-Never-Be-Continued cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:24:43 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: August 21, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »
Is it confirmed to not be getting a sequel? I heard it did well enough that it wasn't ruled out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: August 21, 2019, 12:37:09 PM »
Is it confirmed to not be getting a sequel? I heard it did well enough that it wasn't ruled out.

With Disney killing Fox projects left and right and Alita 1 not being a massive success, it's not ruled out but it's extremely unlikely. Also, Cameron's going to be tied up with Avatar sequels no one asked for for the next decade because hey...Disney has to justify that goddamn Pandora section of Animal Kingdom SOMEHOW.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: September 12, 2019, 01:43:24 AM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Wow. It is weird. You don't know where the movie is going until the ending. SNAP it all falls into place. The very premise of the movie is a spoiler.

It's a Forest Gump type movie but isn't an implausible character insert that somehow hits all these historical moments. It's people living in that world proper we were following, it was so convincing I thought it was something that happened right up to the ending where it springs the premise, intentionally breaking the illusion like a trap once you realise who certain people are.

Everything works towards this illusion, including all this stuff that seemingly has no relationship for 95% of the time.

There is this section where I think lasted 10 minutes maintains the Resident Evil 4 tension when Leon first arrives at not Spain even after the climax of that scene happens. I was actually whispering to myself "Leave, run, get out", something I have never done for a horror movie. I cared for these characters that much.

Tarantino trademark violence is there so people expecting that won't be disappointed.

Super recommended if you like Tarantino. Watch it if you want finely crafted art, not the next product.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6240 on: September 12, 2019, 02:15:32 AM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is "a slice of life movie"
Not particularly story driven, you get taken on a tour of a city, and you meet some interesting characters. Not your usual Tarantino film, even though it totally is. You should compare this movie to American Graffiti, Dazed and Confused, Boogey Nights, A Serious Man, The Big Lebowski, Everybody Want's Some, and Vice. Also Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets in pace.

What oohhboy says above is also a perfect description.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:19:52 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: September 14, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
Just rewatched Inglorious Basterds. This is Tarantino’s best film, and it isn’t even close. Don’t @ me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: September 15, 2019, 02:51:25 AM »
As a mid level German speaker I agree.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: September 16, 2019, 04:49:07 AM »
Nobody is going to @ you over a Tarantino movie. Like tf.

Not fond of Kill Bill though. Indifferent at best. It was way too long even cut into two movies. It didn't fell like it went anywhere or come together satisfyingly and the cool **** wasn't enough to pull it out. I can only imagine what the "Full" cut is.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: September 16, 2019, 07:31:04 AM »
Nobody is going to @ you over a Tarantino movie. Like tf.
It was a joke. This isn’t Twitter. Nobody can even @ on this message board. Like tf.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:51:33 AM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: September 16, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »
Never seen a Tarantino film, myself. Just never been interested in them.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: September 16, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »
Never seen a Tarantino film, myself. Just never been interested in them.
They’re not for everyone. I enjoy most of them. They’re often really violent. And Quentin Tarantino does have a weird affinity for a certain N-word with a hard-R. I understand from an artistic standpoint. That’s how some people talk, and the world at large is really unsympathetic to black people and he’s putting a spotlight on it (how do you make Django Unchained without racists saying and doing a bunch of racist ****?). Still, it can be a little off-putting though maybe that’s the point sometimes?

Tarantino also really likes women’s feet. Like the first time, fine, characters are just talking, Mia is barefoot etc. Then, it just kept happening which each subsequent film... Seems harmless (I hope), but some may be put off by how egregious it can be. Rarely does it serve any narrative purpose. It does in Inglorious Basterds and maybe Kill Bill depending on whether that scene was necessary.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:57:46 AM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6247 on: September 16, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
Yeah, QT has gotten some backlash for his use of it.  It'd be less weird if he wasn't the one saying it in his films all the time.  Characters, sure, but he doesn't always need to play those characters.

Still, I like his films.  The other hard-R about them is the ratings, which can also be off-putting to people and understandably so.

And Hateful Eight and Django round out my top 3 QT films.  They're all great for separate reasons too.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: September 16, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
It has been interesting to see the change of pacing since Sally Menke died. She was his editor and always did a good job. The last Tarantino film she worked on was Inglorious Bastards. I think that was his tightest film. Since then his movies have been longer and more indulgent. Before they were punchier.  They're still good but it is certainly a different era. She also worked on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which I would give a perfect score.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6249 on: September 16, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »
Hateful Eight had a long run time, but honestly, the intermission was incredibly welcome.  I may have said this before, but there are some movies that I think would be better served to be longer with intermissions than shorter.  Like the last two Hunger Games movies or Avengers Endgame.