Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 170042 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Mistwalker's new RPG "The Last Story" coming to Wii in Japan in 2011
« Reply #300 on: January 22, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Voice recording takes a couple of weeks, even for a game that has a lot of voice acting. And that's also assuming that NOA would even include English voice acting. Localization in general isn't the issue here. It's whether or not NOA even think The Last Story is worth bringing over.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
Voice recording takes a couple of weeks, even for a game that has a lot of voice acting. And that's also assuming that NOA would even include English voice acting. Localization in general isn't the issue here. It's whether or not NOA even think The Last Story is worth bringing over.

Or if NCL orders them too.  There are some games NOA and NOE can choose to localize and there are some game they have to localize.  Considering all the money NCL has been spending on The Last Story, I imagine this is the kind of game NOA and NOE have to localize.  I still just don't see how this game got the budget it did unless it was made with a worldwide release in mind.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2011, 07:51:28 AM »
Yeah guys lets face it: Nintendo are arseholes. Reggie reckons the game is for fags and NOE are scratching their bum because they cant be fucked finding French voice actors or dreaming up an advert the Dutch will like.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:53:55 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
I don't think there was a single part of your post that WASN'T offensive.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
RAB returns and I'm already offended. Nice work, now no more of that.

As per tradition we asked about Last Story during the 3DS event.
As per tradition we got a non-answer.

Maybe if we ask enough we'll get a straight yes or no answer, but I wouldn't expect it from Nintendo of America. They might not even know.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
It appears that slumping sales in Japan might hinder a western release.

http://www.infendo.com/uh-oh-last-story-sales-are-slumping-abroad/
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
It appears that slumping sales in Japan might hinder a western release.

http://www.infendo.com/uh-oh-last-story-sales-are-slumping-abroad/

" In any case, if the sales don’t meet the expectations of Mistwalker, they may very well decide to cancel any translation of the game and keep it a Japanese exclusive forever."

It's not conclusive, but that sloppy level of thinking makes me pretty confident that the author has no idea what he's talking about, one way or the other.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »
Here is a comment that I left for that site:

From everything that I have read about the Japanese game industry is that their home console market is drying up in favor of handhelds. This is why both Nintendo and Sony have adopted home console level graphics for both of their handhelds. Their home front market is shifting towards gaming on the go. Therefore a game such as Last Story, even with high production values, may not sell as well on home console the way they did ten years ago. It seems to me that if Nintendo ported this to the 3DS then it might pick up in sales, but I do not see it selling well on a home consoles, or atleast in Japan.

As for the poster Lance who said that Atlus or SquareEnix should localize this game for the west, keep in mind that Nintendo is the publisher of this title and like with Tecmo’s Fatal Frame 4, if there are any issues in Japan with the title then the west will not get the game. However, I seem to hold out on the belief that the production of this game and the fact that Nintendo does not have that many titles for the Wii for the other markets that it will eventually find its way into America. Just wait for this year’s E3 to know for sure.

There is a good possibility that Xenoblade will make it to the west, and Nintendo themselves have indicated that games that they have released in other markets might make it to America to fill in the gaps of 2011.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
It's not conclusive, but that sloppy level of thinking makes me pretty confident that the author has no idea what he's talking about, one way or the other.

Yeah, the entire article is just someone saying what they think without any actual facts.  Unless the author somehow was able to bug NOA headquarters and listened to a phone-call between Reggie and Iwata then the entire article is nothing more then fan speculation and no different from the post we have on this thread.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 18, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »
If you listened to a phone call between Reggie and Iwata you head would explode.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 19, 2011, 01:45:11 AM »
While western gamers are crossing their fingers in hopes of this game coming state side, a gamer in Japan finds the time to destroy his copy of Last Story. Why destroy it when he can just give it to a gamer such as myself!

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/japanese-gamer-destroys-copy-of-the-last-story-in-fit-of-rage-20110126/

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 19, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »
Weird trend over the years of Japanese (and maybe other people too) fans or anti-fans tearing books or discs apart and putting pictures of it on the internet.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
From everything that I have read about the Japanese game industry is that their home console market is drying up in favor of handhelds.

This just gives all the more reason to release it here in North America.  This is the market where consoles have not dried up.  Cancelling a game for the Western market based on sales in Japan is idiotic.  Twilight Princess didn't sell all that well in Japan.  So should Nintendo have canned that for North America?  This is the market where any console game stands the best chance of being successful.

Plus NOA would be complete dumbshits to not notice the, you know, jack **** being released for the Wii right now.  Any decent title that can plug the gaps should be welcomed.  For NOA to not localize such titles is just handing the core market to Sony and MS.  They would be saying to Wii owners "all we care about are the casuals and the big franchises like Mario.  You want more than that then don't bother going with us anymore."  NCL showing more interest in core gamers than NOA?  The whole casual/non-gamer strategy came out entirely because of the Japanese market to begin with.  If anything you figure NCL would be handcuffing NOA in regards to the core market.  NOA should not be more casual-focused than NCL - that is completely contrary to the way the global videogame market is.  NOA should be localizing absolutely everything unless the game is complete crap or has absolutely zero marketability with a Western market.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
Twilight Princess (Wii version) launched here first, but I get your point. It's not really fair to base a games localization decision based on how well it did in another region. I think it's also a mistake to be making game decisions based on how the Japanese market will react to it, I think one of the few exceptions were the Metroid Prime games (but that may have been because the Metroid series was always more popular here than in Japan). Sadly I don't think Reggie and NOA have much say over what comes out here, they can ask but it's up to NCL to give them permission.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
If Nintendo were to port this game over to the 3DS could it sell even more copies in Japan?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 21, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
If Nintendo were to port this game over to the 3DS could it sell even more copies in Japan?

Do you enjoy asking annoyingly obvious questions, or do you just like hearing yourself talk?  Here's a hint: look up the sheer number of times the 2D Final Fantasy games have been re-released on just about every handheld system that has existed.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »

Do you enjoy asking annoyingly obvious questions, or do you just like hearing yourself talk?  Here's a hint: look up the sheer number of times the 2D Final Fantasy games have been re-released on just about every handheld system that has existed.

I will tell you like I told Chozo Ghost not too long ago; If you do not like what I post in other people's threads then do not respond to them. If you do not like any of the threads I create then stay out of them. If you have a problem with my writing style then take it up with the moderators. However, I do admit that some of my posts are not well written, but this forum was built for Nintendo fans to express their opions about the industry. Now, I wrote my response above so short because I was in hurry doing something in my house and I just wanted to spur a conversation that I would join later. Thank you.

Allow me to use a personal favorite quote of the Duke himself, John Wayne:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:34:27 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
I will tell you like I told Chozo Ghost not too long ago; If you do not like what I post in other people's threads then do not respond to them. If you do not like any of the threads I create then stay out of them. If you have a problem with my writing style then take it up with the moderators. However, I do admit that some of my posts are not well written, but this forum was built for Nintendo fans to express their opions about the industry. Now, I wrote my response above so short because I was in hurry doing something in my house and I just wanted to spur a conversation that I would join later. Thank you.

Dude, you're in my forum thread and you're too annoying to ignore (your intention, I'm sure).  5 seconds of research on the internet or even the faintest inclination of video game history would answer 95% of your questions on any given topic.  And I have no problem with you expressing your "opions" about the industry.  Heaven knows I certainly do.  Just do the slightest bit of your own research rather than barging into threads and throwing out random questions left and right.

We've already established numerous times on numerous threads over the past couple of years that the Japanese market is dominated by handhelds, largely dictated by their society's focus on close social interaction and lengthy commutes.  We've also established similarly over such a period of time that the Japanese love their remakes.  The 2D Final Fantasy titles have had more ports and remakes than I can fathom, especially on the handhelds.  Final Fantasies X and 12 both had "International" editions that the Japanese gobbled up, along with "Final Mixes" of the Kingdom Hearts games (coincidentally, they just had one for Birth By Sleep).  If there's one thing the Japanese gaming industry is good at, it's exploiting its consumers for multiple versions of the same game.  So YES, they would assuredly gobble up a portable rehash of Last Story, especially after the Week 1 sales of the console version.

You know what?  I'll go one step further: I have no earthly idea why Mistwalker made this game for the Wii.  The Wii has never been an especially noteworthy RPG machine (observe that the PS3 port of Tales of Graces sold dramatically better than its Wii original), not even garnering a noteworthy game (that I'm aware of) from Square-Enix; Atlus; NIS; or GUST (the last 3 being the kings of cheap RPG development).  And during the time this game was being created, the PSP was taking off with sales of Monster Hunter and was getting good JRPG support from Atlus (Persona 1, Persona 3).  You can argue that they were serving an under-served market (much as Quest did with the great Ogre Battle 64), but it's too late in the console's life cycle to garner an audience already lost to the PSP and PS3.  It would have made more sense for them to hold the game for 3DS or NGP, though as a lover of console games I'm glad Mistwalker did not.  I just wish that they had picked a different publisher for the game so we'd have a much better chance of getting the game in the West.

I walked into a local gaming store last week and purchased Hyperdimension Neptunia and Atelier Rorona, two extremely niche JRPGs for the PS3.  Yet I can't go into the same shop and purchase Xenoblade, and Nintendo has given no indication that I will ever be able to.  Mistwalker supposedly made The Last Story to appeal to Western gamers, yet they signed into a deal that made Nintendo the publisher, a company that has shown no inclination whatsoever in bringing such games to the West.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:55:45 AM by broodwars »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2011, 12:59:23 AM »
My whole point was that the 3DS could act as a plan b in Japan for Nintendo to put their weakened Wii game sales towards in an attempt to make more money. From everything that I have seen of Last Story it appears to be similar in some elements to Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter has done very well on the PSP, so a game on the scale of Last Story may very well do well on the 3DS.

As for the Wii having a weak assortment of RPGs, just look at Dragon Quest X. I have a feeling that this game will either be ported to the 3DS or be released as a launch title for the Wii 2, which must have a stronger RPG collection.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
My whole point was that the 3DS could act as a plan b in Japan for Nintendo to put their weakened Wii game sales towards in an attempt to make more money. From everything that I have seen of Last Story it appears to be similar in some elements to Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter has done very well on the PSP, so a game on the scale of Last Story may very well do well on the 3DS.

Alright, now we have a conversation, and I do agree with you.  I wouldn't be surprised if they did that, actually.  Blue Dragon was a rather-underwhelming Mistwalker title that they eventually spun-off into a handheld TSRPG and action-RPG franchise on the DS, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a similar move with The Last Story.

As for the Wii having a weak assortment of RPGs, just look at Dragon Quest X. I have a feeling that this game will either be ported to the 3DS or be released as a launch title for the Wii 2, which must have a stronger RPG collection.

"Just look at Dragon Quest X"?  Just look at what?  Right now, there's nothing to see from Dragon Quest X.  No screenshots, no video, etc.  It's essentially just a name right now, little more than vaporware I strongly feel is going to be moved to the 3DS due to the weak Wii market for JRPGs and the strong sales for the DS Dragon Quest IX.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:16:57 AM by broodwars »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2011, 01:46:06 AM »
I was actually looking forward to having Last Story on Wii and then a sequel for the 3DS. Something like spotpass seems like it would be very compatible with a game like Last Story.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 05, 2011, 03:53:17 PM »
I know we all like Hope & Change and all that good stuff

now let's Hope this next story leads to a localization and that should Change how we feel about Reggie & NoA (for now).

http://gaming-france.over-blog.fr/article-the-last-story-sortira-en-occident-finalement-71065451.html
www.TheLastStory.com has just been registered Nintendo of America
Quote from: Google Translated
While the release of The Last Story in Europe and America seemed compromised, the new track will delight fans about a possible release in the West.

We learn that the domain name has been reserved TheLastStory.com by Nintendo of America , for release in the United States. Another chance to see The Last Story arrive in America at first, and perhaps one day with us?

Anyway, The Last Story is available in Japan since January on the Nintendo Wii
also reported on by: http://www.gamekyo.com/groupnews_article18114.html

crosses fingers and joins Xenoblade thread in group prayer

edit: apparently the site was registered almost a year ago according to WhoIs, not sure why it was being reported on again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:59:21 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
As Handhelds graphical prowess and storage capacities become on par with this generations consoles I can definetely see them going that way.

But Why Ceric Why?

For I would say roughly 80% of RPG players its a solo experience.  It is relatively hard to get a partner to sit back and watch what is essentially a disjointed movie from the non-players perspective.  I know for myself its getting hard to monopolize the TV for such a game and with how the economy is and like getting a second console and TV combo would be cost prohibitive.  For the most part RPGs are very suspension friendly as well.  In the 3DS arena having a 3D world and the 2D item, map, etc. screen on the bottom is cool.  See Pokemon if you need any example of the power of being able to tote around your RPG accomplishments.

I don't see this a trend going away.  As the power of the handhelds become comparable to the power of the consoles the traditional single player games will shift that makes sense.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
Ceric, you make good points.

Its a tough call but I actually think, on balance, I would prefer Last Story and DQX come out on 3DS. I have been able to slowly sink over 74 hours into DQIX but don't nearly have that kind of time to dedicate to any particular console game. Its just the way it has worked out for me so far. So, though I'd like the grandeur of playing involved RPGs on my big TV, I'd probably get more out of the titles if they were portable.
Oui, Mon Gars!