Author Topic: Cranium Kabookii  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Donutt007

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Cranium Kabookii
« on: November 28, 2007, 01:48:44 AM »
Haven't seen any reviews or previews for it.

Just curious if anyone has picked it up and what they thought about it.  

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
RE: Cranium Kabookii
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:12:19 AM »
I was just thinking the same thing. I still can't find any reviews for it. Hopefully it's as good as it's board game counterpart.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Cranium Kabookii
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:33:17 AM »
We actually have a couple screenshots and two trailers in NWR's Kabookii profile. The trailers especially actually give you a fair idea how they've translated the game to the Wii.

As for impressions... I know that GoldenPhoenix just recently picked up the title. Ask her!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 07:40:01 AM »
Well I did get it and while it is a good family game, there are much better games out there. The game has several flaws that keep it from being great:

1. Only one controller is used, so you have to do like you do in WarioWare Smooth Moves and pass it around
2. Some of the categories don't react well to the motion controls, making them needlessly difficult to input your answer
3. It is a $50 game, and frankly I think it pales in comparison to Smarty Pants which uses the Wiimote sparingly but well, along with being jam packed with 20,000+ questions.

On the flip side it does utilize the Wiimote well in SOME of the categories, such as ones where you team tells you what action you must perform while your back is turned to the TV, but even these may not be responsive.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:46:15 AM »
Sayy... what ARE your impressions on Smarty Pants GP?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 07:55:29 AM »
Best trivia video game I've every played, my family loves it and I love it. The game has tight Wii controls as well, whether it be its target shooting controls (Yes you shoot targets depending on what mode you are playing in or what special card is played). But really the true fun is found in the diversity of the trivia questions. It is just a well put together game even if the graphical presentation is basic. Heck the game even tracks your stats if you use the same Mii.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 08:39:39 AM »
I rented Smarty Pants and it's actually quite good. Me and the wife played a few hours of it last weekend. I found that the questions repeat a little too quickly but at least there is a setting so it doesn't show you the answer unless you get it right.  I don't think i'd pay $50 for it but if it drops to $30 i'd seriously consider it.  I think any board game that comes out on a cosole should be priced as if it was a real board game...
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
I rented Smarty Pants and it's actually quite good. Me and the wife played a few hours of it last weekend. I found that the questions repeat a little too quickly but at least there is a setting so it doesn't show you the answer unless you get it right.  I don't think i'd pay $50 for it but if it drops to $30 i'd seriously consider it.  I think any board game that comes out on a cosole should be priced as if it was a real board game...

That is odd you had questions repeat because it has over 20,000. Were you using the same Mii? Because it should save the questions asked and not repeat them again.  

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 08:26:06 PM »
I'm rather curious as to how this game translates the Star Performer sections of Cranium.  Has anyone played it?  Are Star Performer challenges in the game at all?  I have wonderful memories of playing Cranium with my grandmother a year or two ago.  Seeing her act out Godzilla for the Star Performer challenges was pure gold.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »
I had a dormmate act out Marilyn Monroe. ::thumbs up:: Lucky for him we had an air-conditioner in the room at full blast.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 08:59:52 PM »
Star Performer is pretty blah in this game, you basically turn your back to the screen and people tell you do an action with the wiimote.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 06:39:33 PM »
Fudge!  Turning your back to the TV doesn't sound like fun.  That's like the video game equivalent of some pretentious interactive art exhibit that challenges you not to look at it.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.