Author Topic: The "post games you found" thread  (Read 5085 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
The "post games you found" thread
« on: October 04, 2006, 03:21:23 AM »
Because I figured I start threads about games noone knows or cares about way too often let's just make this the official thread of small-games-you-found-on-the-internets. Obviously there's no point in posting the games everyone knows about.

Have you ever asked yourself "What happens if you cross Castlevania, Metroid and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and make the main character a bunny girl"? No, me neither. Bunny Must Die is pretty much that, though. If you get stuck: The second time container you get allows you to rewind time by holding the time button down. The demo is linked in the second to last paragraph.

Offline ProfessorCFK

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The "post games you found" thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »
Plasma pong, found at www.plasmapong.com  It's a game that my friend made over this past winter break, MOST EXCELENT.   Steve(the creator), summarizes it well;
"This variation of Pong utilizes real-time fluid dynamics to drive the game environment. Players have several new abilities that add fun twists to the classic game. In the game you can inject plasma fluid into the environment, create a vacuum from your paddle, and blast shockwaves into the playing area. All these abilities have fluid-based kinetic effects on the ball, making Plasma Pong a fast-paced and exciting game."

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: The "post games you found" thread
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
Does everybody know about Cave Story? It's a freeware Castlevania/Metroid type game. I just started playing it, and man oh man oh man is it fantastic.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 12:16:52 AM »
Yes, I think everybody knows about it by now.

I think I'll bust out the list again so we've got those out of the way:

Cho Ren Sha 68k (shmup)
Kenta Cho's games (mostly shmups)
Destruction Desire (fighting game)
Mind Arms (fighting game)
Galax (Shmup)
Frequon Invaders (weird)
Every Extend (kamikaze'em up)
Glace (platformer)
Frontline (sidescrolling shooter)
Minebot (... Action?)
N (Platformer)
Seiklus

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:35:42 AM »

Yes, I think everybody knows about it by now.

My bad, then.

I downloaded Seiklus on the promise of adventure, exploration, and giant snail. I wasn't dissapointed.

Hmm, I guess I don't have anything of value to offer to this thread...

....Oh, except maybe interactive fiction. Perhaps this is another one of those common knowledge type things, but it seems like alot of people still think text games died out in the eighties. If you're one of those people, and you think you'd be interested, there's a small yet thriving if scene you should check out. In fact, the 12th annual IF comp is going on right now, but don't jump into that if you're new (half the entries tend to suck.)

...instead, play through Photopia, and by prepared to cry. Shade, a creepy one-room game set in your apartment, is also fantastic (oh, you'll need to download an interpreter program like frotz for that one. I guess you'd need that for Photopia, too, if you're not running Windows.) And that's just an extremely small slice of all the very, very cool things being done with the medium.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 11:45:55 AM »
I've never been into the indie scene because I don't like messing with installations on PC, however, I just found out my old favourites, the Pickford Bros, are back as an indie developer, Zee-three.  I haven't gotten to play it yet, but their first game, Naked War, seems to be getting a good reception.

Plus they chose Plok for their mascot, how can you go wrong?  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 12:50:11 AM »
Blood Over (the things marked as Ver 0.91a 0.91b are the demo and patch for it, respectively).

Not sure whether that should be called a brawler, it's pretty heavy on the guns.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 05:18:13 AM »
Chantelise looks a lot like Zelda except Chante sems like a big improvement over Navi. I'm downlodaing the demo right now but it'll take two hours still. It may just be a hack & slay, though. The developer website has more games including one that looks like it's based on classic Star Fox.

EDIT: Okay, Chantelise IS a hack & slay. But it has a nice Gunstar Heroes-esque magic system.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 06:56:36 AM »
The bunny must die screens look good. Whats the playability for those  non-fluent in japanese?  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:33:05 AM »
I understand almost no japanese and I'm doing pretty well. It's a bit difficult to figure out what the upgrades are (hardest to figure out is that the second time container gives you the ability to rewind by holding the time button) but after that it speaks the universal language of "if it moves, shoot it". You'll miss out on the clues/warnings on hint boards and the humor that's probably in the dialogue (considering how hilarious the visible humour is and how often the bunny is pissed off in the cutscenes I assume the dialogue contains a load of humour as well) but the game plays fine. I'm up to 150 deaths now and stuck at a jester pumpkin boss.

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:58:03 PM »
Toblo!!!

http://toblo.csnation.net/  (streaming video on page)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 09:13:36 PM »
V_Knights (apparently freeware) from the maker of Galax. Sidescroller with a jetpack instead of a jump button. The limited ammo weapon is fired by pressing down and jump, the "bomb" is fired by holding C for a second or so to select it and you can hover if you let go of jump while pressing no directional button and having that yellow bar on your jetpack status.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 04:34:01 AM »
That jetpack comment reminded me of a cool shareware game I used to play called Soldat.  It's sort of like side-scrolling Action Quake with jetboots.  It's fast, violent, and fun.  It comes with several bots with different styles and favored weapons, so you can try it out even if you don't have anyone to play with.  If you do have some friends willing to try it, it can be quite intense, especially in CTF and Infiltration.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 05:08:08 AM »
Soldat in turn reminds me of Abuse which is freeware these days.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »
Pixel's latest - an insanely hard SHUMP called Guxt - is pretty cool.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 02:01:55 AM »
Oh, I haven't linked Spring here yet. It's an opensource RTS engine with loads of mods, some of which are based on Total Annihilation or Earth 2150, others with their own gameplay like Gundam with it's completely weird balancing or the simplest mod out there: Kernel Panic

^Kernel Panic

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 09:58:10 AM »
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Funny, funny and Free game