Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186203 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4750 on: January 13, 2021, 11:02:21 AM »
The Expanse - This show has pulled off something that Person of Interest was the last show to achieve: get me invested in these characters and their stories. The characters in Season 5 are directly referring to specific stories and events thats happened through the series (notably 1, 2 and 4), characters are asking about their histories and everyone has distinct motivations that is both compatible and sometimes incompatible with those they consider allies. The show takes a serious, more frank look at scifi rapid acceleration and deceleration hurts, lack of gravity kills, characters wear seat belts in space, characters born in space almost never go to land because their bodies cannot handle it and then mines stories out of that.

Then there's some unconventional characters - Amos Burton is one of the most "simply complex" characters on TV. Everything is literal and direct he even says in one episode "if you're gonna kill me then kill me, you have a clean shot to the back of my head", and comes off as one-note until you understand why - and then the context changes everything he says even in retrospect. It's such a balancing act that makes the most potentially dull character very human.

Where Game of Thrones fell over was that the series outpaced the books. The Expanse never will because the series ends (season 6) before the books finish, and the writers are in involved with scripts and production.

If you haven't started this series you absolutely should.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:05:03 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: March 26, 2021, 06:29:33 AM »
Schitt$ Creek

This was such a great show. I started it late one night in March and finished the entire 5 season run earlier tonight. General premise is rich family hits financial ruin and has to move to small town with nearly nothing to their name.
Clear favorite in this show I didn't expect to love as much as I did was David Rose. (actual son to the father played by Eugene Levy). Overly expressive in his mannerism's, voice, and personality.
followed up by Moira Rose whose grandiloquence rhetoric is a delectation upon ones own auditory perceptions (I don't know it that makes sense... but if you know the character, you know what I mean :D )

Those 2 clearly steal the show, but there are lots of characters to love in this.
It's definitely a comedy, but it has it's touching moments. You see how this family affects this small town, and more importantly how this small town affects this family that's been uprooted from their carefree lifestyle and grounded into the common folk lifestyle.

I may have finished the series on Netflix, but I noticed there is also a movie or something else left to watch. I'm hoping it a continuation or a follow-up and conclusion, as I absolutely want more of Schitt$ Creek.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: March 26, 2021, 06:41:29 AM »
Invincible

Animated Super Hero show, much in the like of The Boys meets Justice League, although I'm also reminded a bit of Venture Bros even though I haven't seen that show since S2 or S3.
Let's just say the bloody gruesomeness of The Boys, the humor and style of the Venture Bros, and the presentation and animation of Justice League. If that doesn't peak, your interest... then I'm not sure what more to say.

This is a Prime Original, and just started tonight. First 3 eps are up, and then airs weekly. All episodes were around an hour long.
It's also based on some graphic novel series, and you may have heard of it. I've never heard of it, but it's right up my alley.

So far, I'm into it. All the opening characters are clearly analogs for heroes we know, as the opening heroes are mostly "Justice League". It branches out into more hero types fairly quickly (like JL Unlimited), and the action is very gruesome and graphic. There are blood and guts. People die. this is not for little children or those easily turned off by violence and blood.
But there is a good amount of light humor and even some small moments of relevant social commentary.

It mostly follows the "Superman" and his "Superboy", but it's not all Boy Scout Wonderbread theater, there some intrigue going on here.

Definitely worth watching. available on Amazon Prime
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 06:48:29 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #4753 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:18 PM »
I just finished season 1 of Raised By Wolves. I was browsing HBO Max and it seemed like a generic sci-fi show at first but it has Ridley Scott directing the first couple episodes. It also deals with some AI themes that are in the Alien series. I thought it got better as the season progressed and by the end I was excited for more. Recommended for Ridley Scott and sci-fi fans that have HBO Max.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: April 18, 2021, 10:01:39 PM »
so has anyone else checked out Invincible? still watching? all caught up?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: April 18, 2021, 10:37:19 PM »
I watched the first two episodes. It's alright. The animation is a little uneven.

I got to the fifth volume of the comic (not sure how many issues that actually is). A friend let me borrow up to volume 8. It's a pretty faithful adaptation so far from what I remember.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: May 03, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »
For all the issues Batwoman has (the first half of Season 2 was extremely heavy on the "i'm black and in america" angle), Rachel Skasten who plays Alice is absolutely perfect casting in the Arrowverse. She alone saves the show as far as im concerned.

Melissa Benoist as Supergirl, Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer and Caity Lotz as Sara Lance are the other three.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: May 09, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »
The Good Place

Second viewing. I binged the entire series this week. Wasn’t planning on it, kind of just happened. The Good Place is really good, and it may have supplanted Wonderfalls as my favorite show. I recently rewatched most of Wonderfalls’ lone season, and some parts did not age that well after 17 years. Maybe I’ll feel the same about The Good Place. I clearly really like these kinds of high concept shows. They’re similar in that they both follow kind of a dirtbag character who is positioned by circumstance to become a better person.

UNMARKED SPOILERS BELOW

The Good Place is not a perfect show. Jason was perhaps too dumb. I get that he was there mostly for laughs, and I like that he had moments when his inane analogies were weirdly poignant. However, Jason was dialed to 11 when 8 or 9 would have worked better for me. He is definitely the weakest of the main cast. At the same time, the entire main cast is great. I'm thoroughly amazed this was Jameela Jamil's first acting role (she has excellent comedic timing and her facial expressions are *chef's kiss*). Janet is easily my favorite. And I did buy pairing Janet and Jason which is odd because...

I’m conflicted on pairing Eleanor and Chidi. Their relationship grew over the course of the show’s run, and for the most part, the writers did well (particularly the end). I just really had trouble getting past the show’s first season twist in relation to it. They’re in The Bad Place and Michael paired Eleanor and Chidi specifically because they’re the absolute worst people for each other yet they’re still perfect for each other. I don’t know how that could ever translate into those two becoming lovers.

Despite that, the writing was very good. Most jokes landed even and especially the second time around. I like that the plot kept moving. With the way the first season ended, it would have been really easy to retread ground yet the writers wisely swerved and kept pushing the plot and the characters forward. They could have really dragged the show out, and it was much better because they didn’t.

The final season is the worst of the four yet still really good especially the finale. Its main problem: it was too short. The writers rushed through several plot points, and some characters did not get a proper resolution. John complicated Tahani’s afterlife a little bit then he was just kind of there. He disappeared for a few episodes then popped up in the finale for five seconds. Most of the characters started off as caricatures or archetypes then evolved past that. John never did; he never got the chance to be more than “stock gay man” which was frustrating to me. I guess one could argue he was a minor character thus not that important in the grand scheme of the show. I can see it if I squint. Then again, Simone played such a big role in Season 3, returned in Season 4, complicated things a little bit then disappeared until the finale. One or two more episodes to give both John and Simone a bit more depth and more to do would have been nice. Especially Simone. The writers could have done more with someone who doesn't believe they're in the afterlife. She was a great character so I didn't think she was utilized as well as she could have been.

Side-note: Brent was surprisingly handled really well as a minor antagonist in Season 4. The moment he realized what a **** bag he was and legitimately tried to apologize to Chidi was one my favorite moments in the entire show. Brent almost seemed like a caricature then I think about who our president was, and nah, Brent’s character was weirdly like the most realistic one.

The penultimate episode was one of the most frustrating for me. The group finally got to The Good Place, and it sucked. That was an appropriate swerve and completely made sense thematically and philosophically. The Good Place Committee also tricked Michael into becoming the Good Place Architect then proceeded to **** off entirely. The implication was they didn’t know how to make The Good Place not suck so they passed the buck onto the first immortal being they could. Sure. The group (Team Cockroach/Soul Squad) fixed this in one weirdly brief scene. They could have gotten at least two or three episodes out of that (i.e. brainstorming, failed attempts, more scenes from the Judge, Shawn, and the committee even though I find Paul Scheer thoroughly unfunny). I don't know what the best way to handle that would have been. The potential additional episodes wouldn't be enough for an extra season so maybe split the final season.

Anyway, I am a fan of appropriate endings, and The Good Place’s finale may be my favorite of any show including both Futurama and Breaking Bad. Each main cast member was given an earned ending. Eleanor convincing Mindy St. Claire to enter the system was the only thing that felt rushed. It answered a question I didn’t need answered but was glad I got anyway. Seeing Mindy St. Claire’s test would be a neat El Camino-like epilogue should Michael Schurr ever go that direction (doubt it happens though).

One thing I wanted to touch on is the counter-argument that The Last Door is afterlife suicide. I don’t agree because it fundamentally, intentionally, and problematically distorts and diminishes why most people die by suicide. For the most part, people don’t intentionally end their own life because they’re content and complete as in the show. They do so because they can’t live with the pain, whatever that may be. I’m not down with that reading of the finale.

Finally, even though I didn’t completely buy Eleanor and Chidi’s relationship, it was almost entirely worth it for this scene. F you, Chidi’s wave. Tears. TEARS EVERYWHERE.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:11:47 AM by Adrock »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: May 10, 2021, 11:32:15 AM »
I've watched The Good Place's last episode three times and all three times I cried ugly tears.

My wife once described me as an emotionless robot.  The only other times I've cried as an adult is when each of my dogs died.  And for a stupid TV show.

I highly, highly recommend The Good Place to everyone.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: May 10, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »
I'll throw my hat in on a high recommendation of The Good Place.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #4760 on: May 10, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »
I loved season 1. I sort of fell off the last season before finishing it. With such high recommendations I will give it another go.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: May 14, 2021, 03:13:21 AM »
Castlevania (Season 4)

Season 4 was okay. It was the worst season for a couple reasons but the main one was it recontextualizes Season 3 (and makes that season worse somehow) thus huge swaths of Season 4 were unearned and/or flat-out baffling. Very inconsistent characterization throughout primarily because so much of previous seasons were ignored. Warren Ellis spent the entirety of Season 3 setting the chessboard then used very little of that. It was almost like he accidentally knocked over the board and tried to put the pieces back by memory then wrote the story from that.

I'm still organizing my thoughts as far as narrative critiques. I might post that later. Chances are it'll be long so y'all can scroll past that. The short version: What the ****? Why?

The animation was good for the most part. There were some truly nice set pieces though the CGI continued to be bad. I haven't seen a show blend it as well as Futurama. You could always tell what the CGI parts were like when the Planet Express Ship zoomed around, but it had the same shading as the non-CGI animation (not sure if Futurama used cels). The disparity between the CGI and non-CGI animation was so jarring in Castlevania. Anyway, there were also isolated incidences in which the faces looked kind of funky, particularly Sypha.

I'm surprised more Castlevania music wasn't used.

The writing was not nearly as good as past seasons. There were far fewer jokes which may or may not be a good thing to you. I mostly liked them. It lightened the mood so the show wasn't so dour, and it gave the characters some much needed personality. Additionally, there were no scenes as well written as Isaac's conversations with the unnamed sea captain or Flyeyes. Finally, "****" was used rather liberally in the dialog which I found distracting. Some of it worked for me ("I am Carmilla of Styria... and **** YOU!"). Often, it felt forced. Carmilla had some of the best dialog in the entire season, and Jaime Murray really knocked it out of the park with her delivery.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: May 16, 2021, 09:11:50 PM »
I also watched the entirety of Castlevania Season 4 today with my best friend and...well...I'm not sure "disappointing" is the right word, as I thought Season 3 was godawful, but it wasn't the huge improvement over that season I hoped for in any conceivable way.

Probably the most disappointing thing about this season was the animation, as I thought it was pretty bad throughout with characters constantly going off-model during fight scenes; characters losing detail; and the animation being pretty damn choppy most of the time in general. I didn't think it was above "passable" until Episode 9, which is apparently what all the money was saved for. I particularly question their decision to use a lot of 3D CG backgrounds this season, as they look incredibly unconvincing against the cheap animation. Your mileage may vary, though. We were watching these episodes on a 4K TV.

Something that really bugged me this season about the fights, though, was something that also really bugged me about Season 3: it's very clear that not a lot of effort went into storyboarding these fights from the start of Season 3 all the way to the start of Season 4 episode 9. Why? Rewatch the Bloody Tears sequence sometime. Look at all the inventive ways that the respective characters use their abilities, in particular Sypha with her magic. There is nothing on the level of that choreography until the big battle of Season 4 episode 9. In general, I find fights in this series post-Bloody Tears Season 2 to be incredibly dull and generic.

The pacing this season was weird. It's a 10 episode season, and I can say with great confidence that absolutely nothing of consequence happened in the first 5 or so episodes. Then EVERYTHING happens in the following 4. It leads to one half that's dragging and padding just as badly as Season 3, followed by a second half that's incredibly rushed. Characters just seem randomly incompetent or seem to flip their motivations on a dime completely off-screen. The show completely ditched any world-building. I get the feeling the writers didn't know this was their final season until late in development.

I also could have done without the big fight at the very end and the extreme cop-out it led to in the epilogue, too.

So what was good? Well, aside from the one cop-out, I quite like the epilogue episode. It feels like it could have come immediately at the end of Season 2, which is a damning indictment of the overall pointlessness of Seasons 3 & 4 in general. The big fight of Episode 9 was a great return-to-form, both for the animation quality and the storyboarding behind it. Malcolm McDowell is a treat as ever, and led to more than a few Milk Money jokes from the 2 of us when he was on-screen.  :P

And yes, what was with the lack of Castlevania music this entire series outside the use of Bloody Tears back in Season 2?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: May 16, 2021, 09:52:19 PM »
My friend and I also watched the first 2 episodes of Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Overall, I liked the 75 minute pilot episode, but the 2nd episode shows that this is at best another Rebels. It teases that dark tone, and then flips right around to being Yet Another Disney Star Wars story about someone parenting a kid. What, was Rebels & The Mandalorian not enough at this point?

On a side note, all the Bad Batch members are defined by particular genetic "defects" that are "enhanced". One is genetically stronger than the standard clones, one's a better sharp-shooter, one's Rambo, another's Donatello, and Omega has the genetic abnormality of "girl". She's clearly supposed to be a female clone of Jango Fett, as she has the Australian accent & shows combat skills without ever being trained.

On a more amusing side note, I see that Disney's gotten so arrogant these days that they thought they could rip off a motif from a Halo 3 theme with the Bad Batch and no one would notice.

Halo 3: Beyond a Pale Horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdX84171LY

The Bad Batch Theme: Omega's Theme

hhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsSo1rK4pWI

I don't even LIKE Halo, and I picked up on it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4764 on: May 17, 2021, 04:04:16 PM »
I finally watched Invincible.  Great show.

It's a pretty great adaptation, even if it isn't 1:1, which I don't think it needed to be.  Many of the changes I would consider improvements.  One big change is the twist at the end of the first episode.  Instead of building to that being a potential season-ending cliffhanger, they essentially open the series with it and let the tension and dramatic irony hang over the first season.  I also think they might've rushed through a few other plot points from the early part of the series a bit too much.  I think they could've used maybe 2 or 3 more episodes to slow down the pace a bit and explore more of the characters or put in some more of the throwaway villains.  The series has a constantly changing status quo, from what I remember, which is why I think they could've sat in this arc a little longer without losing anything.  But again, that tension is there from the start of episode 2, so maybe it wouldn't work.

The show is just as violent and graphic as the comics, which was surprising.  They really don't tone it down.  I think they could've toned it down or saved it for "big moments", but Mark is constantly reacting to the violence in front of him so it usually feels impactful and not gratuitous.  However, that digital blood splatter effect is wildly overused.

One last thing I will add, is that one of the changes going forward seems like it'll involve Mark having the classic teen hero group of regular friends.  Outside of William, I don't really remember Mark having too many regular friends, so it felt like they leaned into a trope there when they didn't have to.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: May 20, 2021, 01:49:00 PM »
My friend and I also watched the first 2 episodes of Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Overall, I liked the 75 minute pilot episode, but the 2nd episode shows that this is at best another Rebels. It teases that dark tone, and then flips right around to being Yet Another Disney Star Wars story about someone parenting a kid. What, was Rebels & The Mandalorian not enough at this point?

On a side note, all the Bad Batch members are defined by particular genetic "defects" that are "enhanced". One is genetically stronger than the standard clones, one's a better sharp-shooter, one's Rambo, another's Donatello, and Omega has the genetic abnormality of "girl". She's clearly supposed to be a female clone of Jango Fett, as she has the Australian accent & shows combat skills without ever being trained.

On a more amusing side note, I see that Disney's gotten so arrogant these days that they thought they could rip off a motif from a Halo 3 theme with the Bad Batch and no one would notice.

Halo 3: Beyond a Pale Horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UdX84171LY

The Bad Batch Theme: Omega's Theme

hhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsSo1rK4pWI

I don't even LIKE Halo, and I picked up on it.

I think it will get better over time like Clone Wars and Rebels. They probably need to get the 'kid stuff' out of the way early and it will probably rear its head again from time to time. Its got 16 episodes versus the shortened length of 12 from CW S7 so I'm optimistic we'll get some better episodes in the future.

Wild theory I just pulled out of my ass: Omega learns she's a direct clone of Jango like Boba is (unaltered as opposed to the accelerated growth troopers) and goes off to learn about the Mandalorians, grows up to be the Armorer or another Mando character in that show.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:18:13 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: September 11, 2021, 09:41:47 PM »
Been watching a bunch of stuff of late, notably a handful of various anime series like Beyond the Boundary; Wise Man's Grandchild; and Attack on Titan's Final Season (Part 1).

Attack on Titan was so much better when it was a horror series in Season 1. This show just hasn't worked for me since it decided to become a political intrigue/"cycle of violence" show.

Recently finished my first actual watch of the entirety of Star Trek TOS via the BluRay remaster. Overall, I hate to say it but TOS kinda peaked in Season 1 when it was throwing around ideas just seeing what would work. Once it settled into a formula in Seasons 2 & 3, it kinda sucked. Sure, there were good episodes in Seasons 2 and 3 when the occasional writer decided to put out an episode that was either absurdly silly or INCREDIBLY serious and full of dread, but I just don't think those seasons hold up even with the remaster fixing the dated effects. It also doesn't help that 1960s writing meant that every episode was filled with more dull padding than an episode of Lost.

Against my better judgment, I'm resuming my watch of the Arrowverse, starting with the 2nd half of Season 6 of Arrow. God, I'd forgotten just HOW tedious this show could get, not to mention how awful the sound mixing for this series ALWAYS WAS, going from (incredibly quiet mumbling, so you'd better have the subtitles on) TO INCREDIBLY EAR-PIERCINGLY LOUD WITH FREQUENT SCREECHES! The 2nd half of Supergirl is next. Back when I was still watching these shows, I'd already finished Seasons 3 of Legends of Tomorrow and Season 4 of Flash.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: September 11, 2021, 09:48:36 PM »
It's kind of funny that while every other Star Trek series has taken a couple years to really get going, the original series peaked in season 1. I've been rewatching Deep Space 9, and I'm currently in the final season. After that my plan is to jump to Enterprise. It's been a long time since I've watched that series, but the time is finally near.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: September 11, 2021, 11:09:58 PM »
It's been a long time since I've watched that series, but the time is finally near.

LOL!

It’s been a long road
Getting from there to here
It’s been a long time
But my time is finally near
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: September 12, 2021, 03:58:47 AM »
It's been a long time since I've watched that series, but the time is finally near.

LOL!

It’s been a long road
It’s been a long time

You know, I've never understood the internet hatred for that song. One of the nice things about the Kelvin Timeline movies; Discovery; and Picard shattering the Star Trek fanbase has been the critical reappraisal of Enterprise (and, to a lesser extent, Voyager), but people still bitch about that song.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: September 12, 2021, 11:58:24 PM »
Finished Season 6 of Arrow. Yeah, gotta say...it wasn't very good, mostly because I feel like they traded a good villain halfway through the season for a bad one. Diaz is a perfectly good Season 1-3 Arrow villain, but as a Season 6 villain? Come the **** on. Are you REALLY telling me that a 2 bit punk that kills everyone who even slightly demeans the size of his manhood is a worthy foe for not only this Arrow team, but the entire JUSTICE LEAGUE that Oliver Queen has on speed dial at this point?

This season could have been OVER at ANY point this season if the characters weren't arbitrarily incompetent and if Oliver actually took advantage of his resources for once instead of just having to Learn the Power of Friendship YET AGAIN. At least with the villain of the 1st half of the season, you had a guy who could legitimately out-think and outplay the heroes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: September 13, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Was bored & looking to kill some time with something short, so I decided to finally watch the 4 episode Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness CG series on Netflix.

As a huge fan of the games (especially those involving Leon & Claire), I...fucking...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE this series. The series takes place inbetween the events of Resident Evils 4 & 5, and good GOD does it embody everything I absolutely despise about the brown & grey military shooter era of Resident Evil.

Government conspiracies? Check.
An incredibly stupid, convoluted plot obsessed with the geopolitical standing of World Powers instead of horror? Check.
Various government agencies buzzing around with assault rifles? Check.
Brown, brown, and more brown color scheme? Check.
Not the slightest sense of fun in sight? Check.

Oh, but let's add on the cliches of the Resident Evil CG movies too!

Leon & Claire are the main characters, but Claire has **** all to do with the story and has to be saved by Leon at one point? Check.
Guy who decides to become a roided-out Tyrant at one point for revenge against the true villain, despite the objections of his close female companion? Check.
General disdain for women in general? Check.
REALLY shitty animation when characters aren't standing around blandly talking, leading to characters suddenly become The Flash when it's Go Time? Check.

The Voice Actors for Leon and Claire are their mediocre non-Union actors from the Resident Evil 2 remake, which wouldn't be so bad except the characters are sporting their classic RE4 & RE2 character designs, respectively, so the voices seem to match up even worse than they did before. The plot is just downright incoherent for most of the 4 episodes, with characters often going places for no established reason; performing actions for no apparent reason; and frequently teleporting across entire countries for the sake of the plot.

The action scenes are poorly-storyboarded and boring to watch. I swear, the big monster Tyrant that goes down this time gets quite possibly the lamest death in series history. Yes, even lamer than how the Leech Queen died in RE0.

The series sets up a cliffhanger of sorts for a season 2, but I hope it doesn't get another season. It doesn't deserve a 2nd chance. It makes the 3 RE CG movies look like high art by comparison. I award it no points, and may God have mercy on its soul.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:23:45 PM by broodwars »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: September 15, 2021, 10:16:30 AM »

LOL!

It’s been a long road
It’s been a long time

You know, I've never understood the internet hatred for that song. One of the nice things about the Kelvin Timeline movies; Discovery; and Picard shattering the Star Trek fanbase has been the critical reappraisal of Enterprise (and, to a lesser extent, Voyager), but people still bitch about that song.

Just to clarify, I'm not making fun of the song nor do I hate it. I've always been on the positive side of it. My comment was about how Insanolord's sentence basically sounded like the opening lyrics of the theme song which hilarious to me especially since he was referring to Enterprise when he made the comment.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: September 15, 2021, 11:16:07 PM »
That was 100% intentional, if it wasn't clear. I wasn't sure if anyone would pick up on it, but I'm glad you did.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: September 25, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
I watched the first episode of Foundation and I thought it was pretty good. Impressive visually and very true to the beginning of the original book. I'm really interested to see how they do the rest of it, since the books jump forward in time regularly, but so far, so good.

J.P. Corbran