Author Topic: Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)  (Read 11852 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2020, 01:06:51 PM »
However, another thing this thread has shown me is that Galaxy 2 seems to be the big 3D Mario unifier. Everyone seems to love it (or at least like it a lot), everyone wishes it was included and Nintendo seems to have left it out just to make the fanbase turn on itself over the other three games included.
I imagine the reaction would be the same if any of the Nintendo 64 to Wii 3D Mario games was missing. Everyone has been speculating to understand why Super Mario Galaxy 2 was left out.
  • "Maybe Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a hidden game." Probably not. Nintendo would want to market a fourth game.
  • "It's one game per console." I guess though that's arbitrary.
  • "Nintendo will release Super Mario Galaxy 2 as DLC." Sure, if it's free (kind of sucks for the physical card crowd). However, charging for DLC for a collection of 10+ old game sounds like Peak Nintendo®.
  • "Super Mario Galaxy 2 relies on motion controls more than its predecessor." It does, but FIGURE IT OUT. You're a video game developer.
The absence of Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes the price a lot harder to justify from a value perspective though that didn't stop pre-orders of Super Mario 3D All-Stars from being the second best selling game on Amazon (after Animal Crossing: New Horizons). Obviously, Nintendo didn't need to include Super Mario Galaxy 2 to sell the collection. It, does, however, make the company look greedy. Y'all already made your millions on these games; throw us a bone.

Even then, there were ways Nintendo could have made more money. It could have released two collections. Super Mario 64, Super Mario 64 DS, and Super Mario Sunshine in one; Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D Land in the other. Overall, it just seems really baffling.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:01:25 PM by Adrock »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
  • "It's one game per console." I guess though that's arbitrary.

Because the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube had so many Mario platformers to choose from. ;D What numbskull is making this argument?  >:( It's clearly chronological order of 3D releases.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »
Even then, there were ways Nintendo could have made more money. It could have released two collections. Super Mario 64, Super Mario 64 DS, and Super Mario Sunshine in one; Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D Land in the other. Overall, it just seems really baffling.

What makes it even more baffling to me is Galaxy 2 is literally one of the highest rated games of all time.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all/filtered

You'd think they'd want both Galaxy games in the same collection just for that fact alone.  Any other company would be publicly declaring that two of the Top 10 highest rated games of all time are in the same collection.  And yet Nintendo didn't even bother to show Galaxy 2 in the Mario montage at the end of the 35th Anniversary Direct.

I mean it's not like it was a bomb that cost Nintendo a lot of money to make them ashamed of it.  The game sold over 7 million copies, and considering it reused a lot of assets from the first game, probably made them a ton of money as well.  It's like, I just don't get how they could get together and decide to release a limited edition collection of the 3D Mario games, use the name All-Stars which is clearly based of the original SNES collection of the 4 NES games, but decide to only release 3 games, even though one of the games has a direct sequel that was just as highly rated and a huge seller as well, which would have made this collection 4 games like the original All-Stars.

The more I try to think about it, the more it feels like they're intentionally trolling us at this point.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »
However, another thing this thread has shown me is that Galaxy 2 seems to be the big 3D Mario unifier. Everyone seems to love it (or at least like it a lot), everyone wishes it was included and Nintendo seems to have left it out just to make the fanbase turn on itself over the other three games included.
I actually far prefer Super Mario Galaxy to the sequel. The story and hub world really worked for me. Rosalina is also my favorite Mario character now!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2020, 05:19:23 PM »
I actually far prefer Super Mario Galaxy to the sequel. The story and hub world really worked for me. Rosalina is also my favorite Mario character now!

You may love Galaxy 1 but are you saying you don't like Galaxy 2 a lot as well? You are indifferent / meh about it?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2020, 08:02:14 PM »
There is one more piece of this puzzle I thought of.  These games are available only for a limited time.  Nintendo could be throwing a bone to the fans, and getting that big $60.00 purchase for a limited edition game.  Then releasing digital only download versions the individual games for those that did not get the collection.  They could easily, keep that limited edition digital status of the game and then sell each individual game afterwards for $19.99 each.  (That good ole Nintendo Tax is there) But more importantly it makes the original 3 games again $60.00 to help the original buyers not be frustrated.  And to get them to all make one more purchase Super Mario Galaxy 2 for $19.99 would feel like a steal. 

Another thing Nintendo could do for Super Mario Galaxy 2 is give it away free with there new controller they are supposedly making.  This would allow it to be played on the Switch Lite, if motion controls are really that important.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »
It's worth noting that there were findings of additional hidden missions on the SMB All Stars Website for April 2021, involving Mario Maker 2 specifically. The current pin promotion is labeled as a "Wave 1 Reward".

I could easily see Nintendo doing a "Wave 2 Promotion" in 2021 with the reward being a code with the elusive Galaxy 2, possibly tied into purchase of the then-upcoming 3D World Switch port as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2020, 11:52:10 AM »
Thinking about it more, it would make the most sense for the Galaxy games to be bundled together as 1+2.  If they didn't have an All-Stars style collection that tied into the 35 anniversary would such a release seem strange?

Since Galaxy 2 does re-use assets and doesn't really have a story and is essentially "here's more Super Mario Galaxy levels" is it possible that there are people with clout at Nintendo that don't regard it as a "proper" release?  Could it's exclusion be some workplace politics thing?  Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is a perfectly good game but it has been essentially erased from that series' history because IGA wasn't involved in its development.  I haven't heard of such childish behaviour at Nintendo but you never know exactly what happens at these companies behind closed doors.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »
Could it's exclusion be some workplace politics thing?  Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is a perfectly good game but it has been essentially erased from that series' history because IGA wasn't involved in its development.  I haven't heard of such childish behaviour at Nintendo but you never know exactly what happens at these companies behind closed doors.
That is literally not true at all.

The internet pretty much memed that "childish behavior" into the prevailing narrative. The man is quoted stating otherwise so believe him or not, I guess. Here's a Reddit post that goes into more detail with a couple additional screenshots if you're interested.

Additionally, Koji Igarashi hadn't produced a game that was released by Konami since 2011 then subsequently officially left the company in 2014. It doesn't really matter what he says about the series anymore, right? Konami, as the IP owner, can do whatever it wants to Castlevania including this "EROTIC VIOLENCE" pachinko machine in 2015 and this Canada exclusive mobile game in 2019 (service discontinued literally today, 09/09/2020). On both counts:

At least the Netflix show is flame.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »
You may love Galaxy 1 but are you saying you don't like Galaxy 2 a lot as well? You are indifferent / meh about it?
Good question. I love all the Mario games I have played including Galaxy 2. I would still give it a 10/10. I just find most people prefer the sequel over the original while I am the other way around.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »
Then my point still stands! Galaxy 2 is a game all Mario fans seem to agree is worth playing and enjoyed playing.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 04:23:30 PM »
I did stumble across this video suggesting some development issues that may be why Galaxy 2 was not included in the collection.

From the description of the video:
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is on its way, with three fantastic Mario games: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. But where's Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Now, to be very, very clear: we do not have a definitive answer for why Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not in Super Mario 3D All-Stars. We can't claim any kind of insight into this matter, nor the attitude within Nintendo with regards to this game.

That said, reading old developer interviews from the time of Super Mario Galaxy 2's creation, it's clear that many of the creators who worked on the game...really didn't want to.

At least at first, although, it's hard to say for certain how they felt, as the interview were all intended to promote the game, and "I didn't want to make this" isn't a great point for the marketing campaign.

So, the developers talk about how they initially were really burned out and didn't want to make Mario Galaxy 2, and how Yoshiaki Koizumi and Shigeru Miyamoto wrestled for creative control before spending five hours in heated "discussion" over the past and future of the Mario franchise. Perhaps we'll touch on that more in a future video.

We cut some content out of this one, by the way. We didn't even mention how the developers got incredibly frustrated with feedback from playtesters who complained about how Yoshi controls in the game. One person said, "That's not my Yoshi!" while another argued that Yoshi should not be ridden by Mario! This in particular feels like a frustrating piece of feedback to receive while working on a Mario game!

So if Nintendo seems hesitant to mention Mario Galaxy 2, it might be because many of the developers who worked on the game think of it more as "Mario Galaxy 1.5" than a fully fledged game in its own right. A kind of Mario Galaxy Master Quest, rather than a Majora's Mask.

Or, perhaps we're talking nonsense. If so, thank you in advance for pointing it out politely in the comments.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »
I did stumble across this video suggesting some development issues that may be why Galaxy 2 was not included in the collection.

From the description of the video:
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is on its way, with three fantastic Mario games: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. But where's Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Now, to be very, very clear: we do not have a definitive answer for why Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not in Super Mario 3D All-Stars. We can't claim any kind of insight into this matter, nor the attitude within Nintendo with regards to this game.

That said, reading old developer interviews from the time of Super Mario Galaxy 2's creation, it's clear that many of the creators who worked on the game...really didn't want to.

At least at first, although, it's hard to say for certain how they felt, as the interview were all intended to promote the game, and "I didn't want to make this" isn't a great point for the marketing campaign.

So, the developers talk about how they initially were really burned out and didn't want to make Mario Galaxy 2, and how Yoshiaki Koizumi and Shigeru Miyamoto wrestled for creative control before spending five hours in heated "discussion" over the past and future of the Mario franchise. Perhaps we'll touch on that more in a future video.

We cut some content out of this one, by the way. We didn't even mention how the developers got incredibly frustrated with feedback from playtesters who complained about how Yoshi controls in the game. One person said, "That's not my Yoshi!" while another argued that Yoshi should not be ridden by Mario! This in particular feels like a frustrating piece of feedback to receive while working on a Mario game!

So if Nintendo seems hesitant to mention Mario Galaxy 2, it might be because many of the developers who worked on the game think of it more as "Mario Galaxy 1.5" than a fully fledged game in its own right. A kind of Mario Galaxy Master Quest, rather than a Majora's Mask.

Or, perhaps we're talking nonsense. If so, thank you in advance for pointing it out politely in the comments.

If this is true, I find it impressive that Nintendo's devs created what is regarded as one of the greatest games ever made when their hearts weren't really into it.  THAT is what they made when going through the motions?!  Wikipedia mentions that the original idea for the game was Super Mario Galaxy 1.5, which is a pretty terrible idea honestly.  It turned into a full-on sequel but maybe the devs still think of it as the original project, rather than the masterpiece they turned it into.

Regardless it is dumb to exclude it.  It was both a commercial and critical smash.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 06:55:05 PM »
Or, perhaps we're talking nonsense.

Yes.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2020, 12:24:21 AM »

Most of the stuff in this video is things cherry picked from the Iwata Ask interview on this game to make it sound more dramatic then it was.  The Yoshi part in particular makes me roll my eyes when this is how the actual interview went.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/supermariogalaxy2/1/1

Motokura:  We made a bunch of transformations, and that really brought out everyone's love.

Iwata:  Everyone's love?

Motokura:  Their love for Yoshi. From the development staff, the people in Mario Club and everyone at Nintendo of America. People who really love Yoshi send in all kinds of passionate comments, about the controls too, like "This isn't right!" and "Yoshi doesn't jump like that!"

Hayashida:  One person even said, "That's not my Yoshi!" (laughs)

Iwata:  "My" Yoshi? (laughs) Everyone has their own idea of Yoshi, so I guess it was a fight to get those ideas to match.

Motokura:  Right. And their ideas are all based on different games, like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story.

Iwata:  So they all spoke out of their varying loves for what Yoshi should be like. That must have made it hard for you. (laughs)

Hayakawa:  They liked different parts of gameplay, too. Some people liked the way Yoshi struggles to make it higher, while others liked the way you can jump off.

Koizumi:  One person even said Yoshi should not be rode on!

Iwata:  Really?! (laughs)

Koizumi:  He said Yoshi is a main character that you control. I think he was talking about Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but if that was true, then what would we do with Mario?! (laughs)

Iwata:  We couldn't just abandon him! (laughs)

Hayakawa:  So we added in everyone's requests and Yoshi became a powerhouse; fast and really hangs tough. (laughs)

Hayashida:  Yoshi will eat anything! (laughs) And you can stop riding, too.

Koizumi:  Miyamoto-san said it wouldn't be any fun if Yoshi were too powerful.

Iwata:  A certain kind of good tension would be missing.

Koizumi:  Right. So we really applied ourselves to coming up with objects and enemies best suited for Yoshi.

They were literally laughing about the different complaints people had about Yoshi.  This is pretty normal for the Iwata Ask interviews when the developers talk about some of the challenges with creating a game.  That's one of the things Iwata always like to talk about, the challenges designers had to deal with and how they solved them. 

Trying to turn that into some big drama that makes Nintendo ashamed of the game is a pretty shitty thing for the creators of this video to do.  The actual Iwata Ask interview shows the development was no where near as bleak as this video makes it out to be and the developers had a lot of fun in the end with all the new idea's they kept coming up with and implementing by the end.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/supermariogalaxy2/1/3

Iwata:  You made new actions for Mario and came up with all sorts of new ideas. Why do you think you could work them out?

Koizumi:  For generating ideas, we held regular brainstorming sessions for collecting ideas. A tremendous amount of ideas were thrown out, and Hayashida-san went over each one that looked like it might work.

Hayakawa:  The brainstorming sessions were pretty lively. No one was forced to attend the meetings, though.

Koizumi:  Everyone was really into them.

Hayashida:  Sometimes we came up with so many ideas that when time was up we had to force ourselves to quit.

Koizumi:  And it wasn't just the planners participating, but the designers and programmers as well.

Motokura:  When you think of designers, you tend to think of them only drawing pictures, but actually they were itching
to contribute ideas.

Iwata:  They all want to participate in game design as well as drawing.

Motokura:  Yes. So when we talked to them, they had all kinds of neat ideas.

Hayashida:  The good thing about designers is that when they have an idea, they can whip off a sketch and show it to everyone.

Iwata:  I'm really jealous of that skill! (laughs)

Hayakawa:  They can make the same idea look about 50% better. Inside, I'm thinking, "I had the same idea…" (laughs)

Everyone:  (laughs)

Hayakawa:  And this time, we prepared a tool for designers and members of the sound team to create stages themselves. That way, we hardly needed the programmers for prototypes.

Iwata:  So the designers were even making prototypes?

Hayakawa:  Yes. So anyone could make land forms, put in some enemies, put this and that together, and try playing it. A lot of the prototypes were made that way.

Motokura:  For example, there's a stage where columns come barreling down the road toward you. That was made by a designer who joined partway through. A prototype that was made by someone who had only joined the team one week earlier actually made its way into the game.

Hayakawa:  Of course, it went through some changes, though. Toward the end, the planners cleaned it up a bit, but for the most part they left the designer's idea alone. Since anyone on the team could make prototypes, almost every day Hayashida-san would say, "Here, try playing this stage."

Iwata:  Hayashida-san, you must have been quite happy.

Hayashida:  Yeah! (laughs) I was like, "This is fun, but where can we put it?"

Hayakawa:  I think we repeated that process for about two and a half years.

Iwata:  That's why it's so packed with ideas. We talked about that earlier, and now I think I know one reason why that's so.

Koizumi:  We all worked with the concept of "more." We delved into it "more," and made "more"—and the result was a highly concentrated game.

Hayashida:  When we began development, though, we didn't think we had any ideas.

Iwata:  At first, you said you were all dried up! (laughs)

Hayashida:  Yeah! (laughs) All the while we were saying we didn't have any ideas, we were coming up with ideas! After we had hit upon the drill and Cloud Mario, I asked Miyamoto-san if we should keep making new stuff, and he said it was already overflowing with ideas, so that was enough. (laughs)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:28:55 AM by Luigi Dude »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 12:23:45 PM »
Wow. Thanks for pointing this all out. I've found several channels across all of my interests that seem to do this. Makes me want to black list those channels from my feeds because it just feels un-constructive to incite such differences.
My Game Collection

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2020, 10:55:35 AM »
So it looks like the collection has already leaked, and the big news is all 3 games are emulated.  Nintendo's own internal studio, NERD, who created the emulators that the NES and SNES mini used, which are the same the Switch online uses, has created a new N64, Gamecube and Wii emulator.

This is pretty big news since it means Nintendo has a working emulator for all 3 systems on Switch.  So the reason Galaxy 2 isn't in the collection is more then likely a Wii Online is someday getting added to the system, or they're going to start individually selling Wii games again like the old Virtual Console.

So yeah, it was corporate greed the whole time.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »
Luigi Dude:  That is actually really good news.  What it means to me is that I don't have to drop $60.00.  It will be for a limited time, and then slowly it will be released onto the Switch Online Service.  Which means, perhaps the end of this year we can be getting a sweet N64 upscaled Virtual Console Nintendo Online App.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »
I watched a video of a Yoshi level from Galaxy 2, where you have to dick around with the pointer while platforming, and I could not come up with a viable handheld-mode solution. I guess you could have a button that auto-tongues to the closest target, but it would be really kludgy and semi-broken. I could honestly see that being enough reason to not include it in the collection. I don't think Nintendo is sweating the additional cash from a separate Wii port when the Switch is exceeding all expectations.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:35:55 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2020, 01:16:11 AM »
That is true, but it could be possible to play with an additional Switch Controller with pointer controls.  Which is why I think it could easily be placed on the Switch Virtual Console.  But honestly, I don't see Wii Virtual Console coming for awhile.  I think it won't hit until Switch 2 happens...and I expect Switch 2 to have new controllers that fix the Switch Controllers problems. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 03:12:41 AM »
Even if they're going to continue with the model of adding one system per year, it'll take them a while to get to the Wii.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:35 AM »
NWR:  Exactly.  And so I think this will be released with the Switch 2.  I think the Switch 2 will be new system not a pro upgrade...but it will play all the old games.  I think Nintendo has learned its lessons and this will be the model they use.  Maybe an upgraded system every 5-4 years at the earliest.  Anyway the Switch was a great System but it could easily be improved upon.  First make the controllers bigger and give them a more comfortable design.  Bigger regular sized buttons and a better Analog Stick.  What I would like to see is a mechanism that could Lock the Analog Stick into a Arcade Stick mode for Virtual console games and such.  But that is just a personal thing.

Then I would like to see both controllers get equal parts inside, Camera, full motion control support on par with Wiimote + if possible.  And if it is possible...a way for these new controllers to be backwards compatible with the Switch.  I understand it won't be perfect, but anything would do. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »
Digital Foundry review of 3D All Stars.

Seems Sunshine got the biggest boost. They rated the technical improvements as Sunshine > Galaxy > 64. Biggest weakness was the framerate being capped at 30fps and 64 not getting widescreen support, but does seem to be positive improvements. The UI has also been improved as they have been redrawn in HD. This also makes Sunshine better to play because the UI no longer takes up a ton of the screen.

If I didn't mention it already, I decided to keep my preorder as the appeal of having the games available in HD and portable won out in my head over the shortcomings.
My Game Collection

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2020, 06:27:16 PM »
I played Galaxy for a while last night. It looks surprisingly nice. I should compare it to it running on my Wii U just to see exactly what the difference is.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 09:08:48 PM »
I received my copy from Amazon today.

Super Mario 64 didn't age especially well. The camera is atrocious. The controls were passable in 1996, but they're imprecise by today's standards.

Semi-related: To no one's surprise, Nintendo bungled the Super Mario Bros. collectible pin set in that it went up today around 2:30 PM EST and was no longer available about an hour later.
  • According to Nintendo, "completing the mission" after claiming Gold Coins on the physical card of Super Mario 3D All-Stars can take up to 48 hours (mine took about five hours which was too late). Anyone who didn't get the game on Friday never really had a chance to claim the reward today.
  • Additionally, users who opted to complete the Mario Kart Tour mission won't receive credit for completing the mission until 09/29 so they never had a chance to claim the reward today.
  • The site apparently wasn't working properly (probably got slammed with everyone trying to get the claim the reward)
  • People were having trouble one they were in the shopping cart.
Some thoughts:
  • The website states "One pin set per account while supplies last". LEL.
  • While supplies last......... Did Nintendo only make like 37 of these sets? Nintendo announced it as a limited time Mario themed dealie during a Nintendo Direct. A low estimate on day one would have been like a couple million.
  • Nintendo opened the reward claim period in the middle of the day as if people don't go to work.
  • I've been extremely clear with how I view rewards: No one is entitled to a "reward". Nintendo doesn't owe anyone this pin set. However, if you're going to offer something like this, you have to be better prepared. They were gone in less than an hour, and the site was fucking up the entire time.
  • Here's a really easy solution: Make several million of these pin sets to start. Pick a deadline then just keep providing and accepting reward codes until then. That way, if you have to make more, you know exactly how many more to make.
  • Or just make 20 million of these things, and if you have extra, you have extra. There's no way these pins cost that much to make, and if it's like the other myNintendo physical rewards, users have to pay for shipping so it isn't as if Nintendo is being especially generous. Sell them after the reward period "while supplies last" if
    you really need to recoup the cost of the left over pins.
I expect there to be other opportunities to get the pin set. While I admittedly want one (would have just purchased it if I could), I personally find the handling of this more amusing than annoying. How is Nintendo so bad at these things? Like all the time?

It is not looking good for the availability of the Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.