Author Topic: Nintendo Releasing Classic NES This November  (Read 15000 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
Re: Nintendo Releasing Classic NES This November
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any information about a Japanese Famicom version being released here. Right now, it's only 9 am. At the earliest, NCL has new information out for the day starting at 10 am.

Regardless of this thing coming to Japan or not, this is really cool! I'm gonna work out a way to get one. About no internet connectivity - with this product I don't think it really matters. It seems like the purpose of this thing is to be simple and to tap into nostalgia. It's vintage-sploitation at its finest! If Nintedno wants to give us more games, I'm sure they'll throw another system like this together and sell it. They gotta do something with all of those refurbished Wiis and unsold Wii Minis! :-p
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:10:37 PM by The_Dan_x »
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm one text away from preordering this for my brother's Christmas gift. Also buying one of the controllers for myself.

It's not for me since I came of age on the SNES, but the NES was such a phenomenon that I hope Nintendo's preparing an awful lot of these for North America.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
I'm keep my eyes peeled for any information about a Japanese Famicom version being released here. Right now, it's only 9 am. t the earliest, NCL has ne information out for the day starting at 10 am.
I remember all those Famicom game re-releases on GBA completely obliterating it in the sales.

This thing might outsell both wii u and ps4 in japan if that was any indication.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 09:09:07 PM »
Welp. It's after 10. Nothing yet, but sometimes they don't update their "latest news" until the afternoon. If we don't hear about it today, we probably won't for a few months, or ever. NCL does like to do their own thing.
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »
So, If it doesn't have cartridges, what's under the flap?

edit: also, does it have the mystery port on the bottom?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 09:17:46 PM »
So, If it doesn't have cartridges, what's under the flap?

edit: also, does it have the mystery port on the bottom?

There is no flap. 
But I'd put money on a mystery port that never gets used for anything. That's a long-standing tradition.

Seriously, being a closed system makes sense. Reminds me of the Wii Mini in that way.

A cartridge slot would be awesome, but I doubt it has any real NES hardware in there and is just running existing Virtual Console software on some stripped down hardware - so trying to add the ability to plug and play games would be more hassle (for Nintendo) than it would probably be worth.  If the selection of games wasn't pretty much awesome, I'd be more critical... but the 30 picked are really good, so this gets a pass from me assuming build quality is decent and emulation doesn't suck.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »
So, those controllers are compatible with Wii/Wii U via Wiimotes which is some hot ****. Playing NES games with that sharp-edged, non ergonomic rectangle controller is how God intended it. PLEASE don't screw up that controller, Nintendo.

I'm definitely getting one of those controllers, but I'm probably getting the system too. Wii U emulation of NES games is, uhm, bad. Seriously, it was much better on the Wii. So hopefully they don't screw that up either.

Also if you want one, you better preorder. Demand for this thing is gonna be insane.

Images on Polygon article show that the controller is legit.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »
I think the ideal target demo for this is someone who had an NES as a kid but doesn't really play games these days and this is a really cheap and easy way to revisit some of their old favourites.  Someone like myself is looking for a reliable way to play his collection of NES cartridges without having to blow into them or fuss with the really unreliable pin connector.  I'm looking for a first party version of the Analogue NT at a more affordable price tag.  Or a Retron that uses hardware instead of emulation.  Nintendo doesn't really want to give me that since they don't make anything from me playing old used games.  But then with this they're not selling games either.

If you're interested in LP records you can buy modern turntables and even get new albums and reprints of old albums on brand new records, despite LPs being replaced by CDs and CDs getting replaced by digital formats decades ago for mainstream music purchasing.  There is enough of a enthusiast market to make this worthwhile.

There is a similar enthusiast market for retro game systems.  The fact that you can buy clones of old systems proves that.  This mini-NES will probably sell very well and have some crossover with the market for those clones.  If Nintendo had a proper retro NES or SNES or combo unit that plays both it would sell.  I'll bet Nintendo could even make NEW cartridges of their most popular games and those would sell if the price point was right.  If they made a limited run of Earthbound Beginnings cartridges that worked on legit NES consoles it would sell.  They could even make NEW games like some new 2D Mario that's a VC download on the main platforms but was designed for the NES or SNES and a real cart will work on a real system or the clone Nintendo themselves releases.  You can buy pirate carts of Mario, Zelda and Metroid mods.  Why doesn't Nintendo make official mods?

This isn't big mainstream numbers like what Nintendo strives for with their consoles and handhelds.  It's a smaller enthusiast market with retro appeal, like LPs, that's big enough to be worth investing in as side revenue to their main business.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
More evidence to support save states

And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level. Each game has multiple suspend points
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160714005388/en/Relive-Glories-Nintendo%E2%80%99s-Ultimate-Retro-Gaming-Experience

Thats good news to me

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 10:33:49 PM »
Can't wait to get the SNES one in 5 years
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 12:41:37 AM »
If Nintendo is making it themselves then it is a must buy. If not then hell no.

I bought my friend and my mom bought me a Sega Genesis retro console last year, and its ****. The music is wrong, and visually it only works well on old TVs. The controllers were also shitty line of site, and sticky.

If it's not made by Nintendo it would be best to wait for reviews. Nintendo holds themselves to a higher standard, so we're less likely to get a shitty cash in. This is very un-nintendo like as they usually want to sell you these games for at least 4.99 each. 2 each is pretty good.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »
Between Pokemon Go and this, Nintendo is doing an excellent job of building good will and mind-share before the release of NX.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »
I'm actually kind of shocked there wasn't a Japanese announcement today simply because it's the Famicom's birthday.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 02:26:22 PM »
I'm also surprised there's been no Fami-Mini announcement.  This is the type of thing that Japan would love and importers would love more.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
This would be a must buy for me if it only had a slot for original cartridges... I just can't justify the purchase without it, since I have most of those games in one form or another and my NES still works like a dream (aside from one controller getting lost and the other's pad starting to go bad). It's a damn shame too, since those original shaped controllers would be perfect for playing Gyromite with my original R.O.B.... oh wait, R.O.B. wouldn't work with an HD screen anyways would he? Regardless, I'll still probably pickup the new controller as the parts should be perfect for refurbishing my actual NES controller.

I'm also surprised there's been no Fami-Mini announcement.  This is the type of thing that Japan would love and importers would love more.

Wait and watch them reveal theirs with a cartridge slot... which will be useless for importers here because of the different pin count... Then again, I might be able to get around that if I can manage to get my copy of Gyromite open.

Double post combined - Shaymin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:11:40 PM by Shaymin »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »
Cartridge support would only serve a smaller market than having the games preloaded.  Those cartridges are finite in quantity and very limited in availability and only people who collect them would be able to use it.

Still, it's kinda interesting that Nintendo is giving up the VC as a selling point to the main consoles.  Most of the games here are enough to give people their nostalgia fix, even if the VC has (much) more options and a variety of systems.  But at least this is a guaranteed boost to Nintendo's social currency.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 08:19:49 AM »
Seems like an obvious product idea either way that I'm surprised Nintendo didn't think of sooner.

Let's be absolutley clear on this product; The only reason Nintendo is finally getting in on the shite plug n' play market is because they literally have ****-all this holiday otherwise, Especially given the dubious feedback some of the games they've shown are having.

I learned not to salivate over Plug n' plays after the Neo-Geo X.

Seriously, though. this reeks of something that Tommo approached Nintendo about and Nintendo at least offered to make pads for.

Here's hoping the pads and the emulation quality is good, but I will not be buying this product.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »
Cartridge support would only serve a smaller market than having the games preloaded.  Those cartridges are finite in quantity and very limited in availability and only people who collect them would be able to use it.

That would only be the case if it relied solely on cartridges. But there are still so many of those old carts still floating around that it would be more than worth it to include as a bonus feature along side those built-in games (which is exactly what the Genesis rerelease already offers). Seeing how all these games can already be played via the Wii Virtual Console, there's a plenty of reason to pass. But that little slot would easily clinch the deal.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »

That would only be the case if it relied solely on cartridges. But there are still so many of those old carts still floating around that it would be more than worth it to include as a bonus feature along side those built-in games (which is exactly what the Genesis rerelease already offers). Seeing how all these games can already be played via the Wii Virtual Console, there's a plenty of reason to pass. But that little slot would easily clinch the deal.

"More than worth it" is an odd statement.  I mean, you are asking for totally different and unrelated hardware to be added, presumably without any noticeable increase in cost. It could totally happen, and for a relatively small number of people it would be awesome...  but I strongly doubt that most people would find the added cost to be justified.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 06:52:56 PM »

"More than worth it" is an odd statement.  I mean, you are asking for totally different and unrelated hardware to be added, presumably without any noticeable increase in cost. It could totally happen, and for a relatively small number of people it would be awesome...  but I strongly doubt that most people would find the added cost to be justified.

The added number of sales would in no way justify the cost.  That market is too niche.  And it would require a totally separate set of parts that would have to wedged in there.  And it would likely make the thing notably bigger (or have the carts stick out).

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »

The added number of sales would in no way justify the cost.  That market is too niche.  And it would require a totally separate set of parts that would have to wedged in there.  And it would likely make the thing notably bigger (or have the carts stick out).

I full-heartedly disagree. Sure, it would require a completely different design, but it could definitely be done for the roughly the same price if they either dropped or reduced the suspended save feature or the HDMI (which is kinda overkill anyways). Remember, the retro Genesis plug and play has a cartridge slot for old games and only costs $40 (though the hardware quality is complete shite from what I hear). I assure you, there are more than enough people with old carts that would buy it in an instant if it had the slot but won't without it. Whereas having it certainly wouldn't stop any one who just wants the pre-loaded games from still buying it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:23:23 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
I think if you have cartridges, you should just use an original NES. Thats what they are for.

The Mini NES is aimed at people who have no interest in buying or using old hardware. They just want somethat simple that works and has a bunch of games on it. Thats exactly what Nintendo have made.

If you want online functionality to download more games, thats what the Wii U is for.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2016, 10:05:39 PM »

I full-heartedly disagree. Sure, it would require a completely different design, but it could definitely be done for the roughly the same price if they either dropped or reduced the suspended save feature or the HDMI (which is kinda overkill anyways). Remember, the retro Genesis plug and play has a cartridge slot for old games and only costs $40 (though the hardware quality is complete shite from what I hear). I assure you, there are more than enough people with old carts that would buy it in an instant if it had the slot but won't without it. Whereas having it certainly wouldn't stop any one who just wants the pre-loaded games from still buying it.

Think about what you're saying.  Sega did one for $40, but it was "****"?  What would the price be to design something not ****? $60? $80?  Then, that's ON TOP of what they're already putting out for $60.  Get rid of the HDMI?  That port isn't about HD, it's about ease of use.  One plug, that's all you need, and it's easily replaceable.  Get rid of the save states?  That's half practically half of the selling point!

And trust me that the market for the cartridge slot is niche.  It's not like those RetroN machines are all that hard to find.  That market is likely saturated.  An official device from Nintendo might influence a few people, but mostly people on forums like these (no offense, I love us guys) but not regular joes.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »
Exce
I think if you have cartridges, you should just use an original NES. Thats what they are for.

The Mini NES is aimed at people who have no interest in buying or using old hardware. They just want somethat simple that works and has a bunch of games on it. Thats exactly what Nintendo have made.

If you want online functionality to download more games, thats what the Wii U is for.

Yes, because all NESes still work... Oh wait, no they don't and that's the whole point. By that same logic you might as well say if you want to play an old NES game at all you should be doing it on an actual NES. If it truly was aimed at those uninterested in old hardware, they wouldn't be trying emulate the original design with identical controllers. The reality is the Wii Virtual Console is the place for old games on modern hardware. This new Classic NES, is intended for nostalgia. And those with fond memories of the old hardware very likely had the original at one time. And if so, likely still have old cartridges that they haven't been able to play in years. Anyone who thinks it's too niche a market is forgeting how popular the system was back in the day and underestimating how many homes still have original carts stored away in box-- it's big.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
Exce

Yes, because all NESes still work... Oh wait, no they don't and that's the whole point. By that same logic you might as well say if you want to play an old NES game at all you should be doing it on an actual NES. If it truly was aimed at those uninterested in old hardware, they wouldn't be trying emulate the original design with identical controllers. The reality is the Wii Virtual Console is the place for old games on modern hardware. This new Classic NES, is intended for nostalgia. And those with fond memories of the old hardware very likely had the original at one time. And if so, likely still have old cartridges that they haven't been able to play in years. Anyone who thinks it's too niche a market is forgeting how popular the system was back in the day and underestimating how many homes still have original carts stored away in box-- it's big.

You're making a lot of assumptions there. Some people would want something that could play the cartridges, but I really don't think it's a large enough subset of the audience to justify including that feature in this. They'd have to include real NES hardware instead of using emulators, make the device larger, cut down on features and increase the price. None of those things make sense for what Nintendo's trying to do here.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent