Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Launch Lineup - About 17 Minutes.  (Read 62123 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: NX Launch Lineup
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »
Super Smash Bros. for NX Featuring Even More Fire Emblem Edition

You joke, but I could see them doing an all-Fire Emblem fighting game down the road.
I will give up video games if this ever happens.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »
Why you gotta be so hatin'?  ;) 

I think there is room for multiple fighters on Nintendo systems.

Smash would still be the flagship, but we also have Pokken. A Fire Emblem fighter could easily fill a weapons based fighter niche in the vein of Soul Calibur.

It would be similar to juggling multiple racers on the same system. Mario Kart, Excite Truck, Diddy Kong, Need for Speed, F1; plenty of room for multiple fighters as well.

Besides, maybe if we get a dedicated FE fighter Sakurai will stop flooding the Smash roster with extra FE lords.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:51:19 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »
I think  lot of improved wii u games will be available at launch with minor upgrades, because most people missed out on them.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
If there's one thing that developers like doing, it's remaking their games that no one bought for the previous console again for the new console.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »
I would be so down for a Fire Emblem fighting game (assuming an experienced team would be making it). I don't think it's particularly likely, even after the huge rise of the series over the past year, but it's fun to think about.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »
Notice that we have not seen a Diddy Kong, F-Zero, or Excite game on Wii U. The first two are bygone relics, at this point.

A Fire Emblem fighting game would be dumb. There's better titles utilizing YÅ«suke Kozaki's art style, and some even feature action/violent gameplay that is way more interesting than a Soul Calibur ripoff.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »
Notice that we have not seen a Diddy Kong, F-Zero, or Excite game on Wii U. The first two are bygone relics, at this point.

Oh not this **** again  ::)

It is well known Nintendo tried to get Criterion to make a new F-Zero for the Wii U but Criterion turned them down.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/06/exclusive_we_almost_got_a_wii_u_f-zero_created_by_burnout_studio_criterion

Plus there have been enough rumors of a new Diddy Kong Racing for years now that show Nintendo has been trying to get a new Diddy Kong Racing out for a while now.

Yes these aren't top tier franchises to Nintendo so they don't go out of their way to have their own internal studio's make new ones but it doesn't mean they aren't looking for other studio's to make them.  Had Criterion been willing to play ball we probably would have gotten a new F-Zero by now.  Plus the rumors about Diddy Kong Racing usually point to Monster (makers of Excite Trucks and Bots) being involved. 

Hell, one of the more proficient ones is Excitebots was originally a new Diddy Kong Racing but some **** went down during development and all the animals got changed to bots.  This is pretty believable when you think about it since it would explain why Nintendo just suddenly dumped that game out in April 2009, with no advertising less then 2 months after they revealed it, despite the fact Excite Trucks was a million seller at launch and a surprise hit.  I wouldn't be surprised if after Trucks success Nintendo was willing to let them take a chance at Diddy Kong but when things went sour, Nintendo stopped the project, cut the budget and had them quickly turn what was left into Bots to try and get some kind of money back from it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 09:26:03 PM »
I would totally play that Soul Calibur Ripoff.

Actually, whats the deal with that series lately? Hasn't it sold well on Nintendo consoles, but the last few iterations would not be portable to a Nintendo console? If NX can launch with Soul Calibur VI that would be great. Also Tekken, Smash Bros NX, Virtua Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter.

If Nintendo planned it right they could make themselves the fighting game destination.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2016, 01:43:05 AM »
I heard that Sony paid a big money hat for exclusivity of Soul Calibt ur 3 and after that HD gen hit and so it never came back to Nintendo besides the crappy adventure game. Soul Calibur 2 sold best on Gamecube ironically.
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2016, 03:25:05 AM »
Bah! Shouldn't a fighting game have some variety, rather than two weapon triangles? I really think Fire Emblem is better suited for Musou, and even that is a stretch. Sometimes, I just can't believe that there are people on the internet with different opinions than me...!

And honestly, Diddy Kong Racing is never coming back. F-ZERO, maybe, but certainly not Diddy Kong racing. It was one okayish N64 game that got its chance in the limelight, but there's likely a reason the franchise has been "this close" to revival and then abandoned. I personally don't understand why someone would want a sequel, but of course, there's the internet again...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
F-Zero is definitely coming back considering, as Luigi Dude mentioned, Nintendo has already tried to bring it back. And with the Mario Kart 8 DLC, the series is obviously still on Nintendo's mind. Maybe with a shared library on NX, having to develop one Mario Kart then DLC will free up the team to take on F-Zero.

The shared library thing is also one of the reasons I can't see Diddy Kong Racing coming back. There's a reason Nintendo only releases one Mario Kart per generation per platform (e.g. evergreen status). With how successful DLC has been for the series (being a good deal if you bought them bundled certainly helped), I can't see Nintendo green lighting a Diddy Kong Racing sequel that may cannibalize DLC sales. Bank rolling DLC is cheaper than developing a new game. There was a DS port developed by Rare that stripped all the Rare characters out. To me, the game was more Rareware Racing featuring Diddy Kong that used the character because he was more recognizable than Rare's character as Conker and Banjo hadn't even been in a game yet. A sequel without Rare characters probably not developed by Rare starring a character that is a regular in a more popular racing game doesn't seem worthwhile to me. Mario Kart has taken to the skies and seas for some reason albeit in a different way while Sonic and Allstars Racing Transformed totally ganked Diddy Kong Racing's entire schtick. With so many things stacked against it, I don't see Nintendo seeing a point. At least F-Zero is a different kind of racing game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
I could see a use for a Diddy Kong Racing game co-habbitating with Mario Kart on the same system.

Mario Kart is more of a first/second year flagship title carrying the bulk of the sales and appeal. DKR can be the more experimental title that comes out in the last year or so of a console's life to bring something fresh to the table for system owners who may be losing interest in earlier titles. There is only so much DLC you can provide before the return of investment diminishes too far.

But there are two reasons I think people still want a DKR sequel (three, but the last is the pipe dream of Rare properties returning, which will never happen):

One is the adventure mode. This could be provided as an expansion to Mario Kart, but after a few years it could be wiser to just release a brand new game that could be charged at full retail price.

Two is the hovercraft and plane. Multiple vehicle options helps keep the game feeling fresh and different. This could also be solved through expanded options and DLC in Mario Kart, but it could be an excuse to experiment outside of the box, as well as the above reason of getting another full retail release, which Nintendo tends to hurt for in the twilight years of a consoles life.
My Game Collection

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 04:15:30 PM »
Yeah I see Nintendo wanting a new Diddy Kong Racing for the same reason they release new Donkey Kong platformers when they're able to.  Mario is meant to be the safer series aimed at everyone while Donkey or for racing Diddy Kong, the more unique title aimed at more dedicated gamers that want something different.  Mario is of course going to get all the attention but when they have a developer ready and willing to work on Donkey/Diddy they'll take advantage of it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason the rumored Diddy Kong titles end up not getting made is because Nintendo so far hasn't found a way to really deviate the series enough from Mario Kart in a way that still works and are happy with the quality.  The DS Diddy Kong Racing underperformed so I imagine that's why Nintendo is a lot more cautious on how the next one is made.  That might be why it sounds like the rumored Wii game that got turned into Excitebots used animals as the vehicles as a way to help separate it from the karts Mario uses.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2016, 07:42:01 PM »
duh guys!
FF7 remake!

(I'm not being sarcastic either.)
Made you look ****.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
What if they just dropped the kart part of diddy kong racing? I'd be fine with just planes or hovercraft, hovercraft is kinda unneccesary too. There is waverace for that. Pilotwings  is gliders instead of ww2 planes.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
If they differentiated Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing enough that could work.  But honestly, they could just fully include Diddy Kong racing into Mario Kart because none of the Diddy Kong characters were memorable or cute.  Give Mario Kart a design which cups designed like this:  First Race Kart Second Race Jet Third Race Hovercraft Fourth Race Mix.  Hovercraft could be floater but allows you to avoid obstacles and find water shortcuts.  Karts are fast, can Power Slide to boost and your typical Mario Kart feel.  Jets are fast but require precision flying, and you must fly through rings on the course...which give it a different racing feel.  The Mix Race could be a sort of Battle Arena Dome Race.   

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 12:33:16 AM »
I just wanted to apologize for my abrasive behavior in the thread previously.

I never thought Fire Emblem would get my knickers so twisted.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 12:44:38 AM »
If they differentiated Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing enough that could work.  But honestly, they could just fully include Diddy Kong racing into Mario Kart because none of the Diddy Kong characters were memorable or cute.  Give Mario Kart a design which cups designed like this:  First Race Kart Second Race Jet Third Race Hovercraft Fourth Race Mix.  Hovercraft could be floater but allows you to avoid obstacles and find water shortcuts.  Karts are fast, can Power Slide to boost and your typical Mario Kart feel.  Jets are fast but require precision flying, and you must fly through rings on the course...which give it a different racing feel.  The Mix Race could be a sort of Battle Arena Dome Race.   

The memorable and cute DKR characters mostly belong to Rare anyway.  The elephant was cool though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 12:58:45 AM »
Back to the topic: I think a Splatoon sequel is coming out within the first 18 months of the NX (assuming it's, at least, a home console).  The trouble is when Nintendo should launch it.  I'm gonna guess that Nintendo is ready to monetize the DLC on this franchise, which puts in in a weird spot.  The first game has a crazy high attach rate and has been insanely popular, so it can move units.  However, putting the sequel day and date at launch creates the Pokemon problem: not everyone can play it right away (hardware shortages/price barriers).  A summer release has the perk of being able to recreate the frequent updates that kept the first game feeling "fresh" (LOL! References!), but this time bringing in money with each update OR saving the big $$$ update for a holiday release.  This may still be too early to have a large online community.  A holiday release is a bit risky because the series, while popular, may not be "name brand", so to speak.  It might still lack the mindshare.  Also, it might be up against a lot of popular (however inferior) shooters.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 01:52:22 AM »
There was a rumor a while back that Nintendo had a bunch of projects to try to port not just the games but the "communities" of games like Super Mario Maker, Smash, Splatoon,and a fourth game right? Maybe a Splatoon Sequel will somehow "bridge back" to the original community, many an "Enhanced" version with both sequel modes and classic modes?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 01:56:41 AM »
Y'all are nuts! Tiptup was awesome!
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 02:05:25 AM »
I've said this a couple of times, but Mario Maker needs more stuff. I feel like it ran out of content quickly and most levels people make suck. Ideally, the endless levels would have made the game infinite, but sometimes you're playing a level and your like "this is uninspired". I would really like some stuff from super mario bros 2, like villains, level themes, powerups. Mario Maker could just expand into a Nintendo Classic games engine. I kinda want to make a classic game now. In some ways Mario Maker is better than Unity. If you could edit sprite maps, and drag and drop character types than they would have something. They made nes remix and mario maker at the same time, so they could very well have NES maker.

It would be kinda easy to have character behavior modules and prefabs with the current mario maker setup.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 02:50:34 AM »
So kinda of a Nintendo Game Maker.

If they could manage to get get a 2D engine for Mario/Kirby/Metroid/Starfy that could be pretty good.

They could release a different 2D engine for creating Zelda game but that could be harder. 

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »
NX within the first year:

Zelda- obviously
Spla2oon- i think it's totally feasible they pull off a sequel to this by Christmas 2017
Pikmin 4- Miyamoto's already mentioned it
Retro studios game- no idea what it could be
3D Mario (Galaxy sequel)

I'm not expecting much more than this the first year. If they are able to pull this off, it would be 4 major games, plus whatever Retro is doing (and third parties, of course).  Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon alone should be enough to get people to buy the NX.

I don't think Nintendo will be porting any games from the Wii U over to NX.  One of the problems with the Wii U was confusion over whether it was a brand new console or just an upgraded Wii.  If all the launch games were just ports of Wii U games, that confusion may still exist with NX. 

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »

OK maybe not a launch list, let's call it a launch...year...list
For sure:

Zelda WiiU/NX
Smash Bros DLC Super pack

Highly likely:
Mario Maker DX
Splatoon DX
3D Mario
Animal Crossing (they've said a console game links to iOS game)

Less likely
All the 3rd party games heading to XBone and PS4 in 2017
F-Zero

Sometime in the far future
Dragon Quest 11 (accidentally announced a while back)
Final Fantasy 15
Super Smash Kart!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.