Author Topic: NES Classic and Nintendo's futility trying to meet demand.  (Read 14407 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: NES Classic and Nintendo's futility trying to meet demand.
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 03:09:51 AM »
I wonder how the Famicom classic went down compared to the NES classic?

Maybe Nintendo underestimated Nostalgia in the west?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 03:50:40 AM »
Japan has a pretty healthy "second hand" retail market where anything can be found fairly easily for a high enough price in near mint/mint condition with a lot of people willing to pay up. In the west? No? Given the size of online there should be more activity so I guess the west is under served.

Maybe they just want the games at a more reasonable price that is packaged in the same authentic technology from 30 years ago.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2016, 04:32:27 AM »
That is interesting. I was looking online for Castlevania 64. I have to check out to see if I actually own it or not. I definitely have Legacy of Darkness. But Castlevania 64 was a decent price at $14.00. In no way was it mint though. It was just the game, no box.

As a collector myself, I only keep the boxes on certain things. I still have the Ocarina of Time box, but it is missing the cart insert. The biggest problem with n64 carts in my finger acid ate many of the labels. My Ocarina of Time cart was well used. I should have bought 2.

NES stuff, I've been collecting for years. When the GBA nes edition came out I got the display from the store. I never did get that Gameboy though. I was going to ask wal-mart if they could give me the nes classic display insert, but it had a rip.

I want the NES classic, for several reasons. Mostly as a collector. A big factor is I no longer have my original NES box. The box it comes in is pretty sweet. I only have the boxes from n64 up. I'd open it and play it of course. It has a good selection, but I did buy all the NES Mario Games on virtual console right before this was announced. Some of the games I have on animal crossing. But isn't this a nice package?

The other factor is the jackasses buying 30 consoles and selling them for as much as xbox ones. I don't know if they have anything like that in Japan, but it's made a short supply even shorter. Hopefully, in December they will be available and I can get one. Also, as something made by Nintendo and as a Wii U owner, it's shocking to see something selling out. I'm used to being the weird guy who likes Nintendo. It makes me wonder about Switch. I had no problem getting Gamecube, but when Wii came out I was surprised of the popularity. With Wii U I waited a few months. I wonder how many gamers were exactly like me, and how this affected third party game sales projections. You never know with Nintendo what is going to be popular.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:37:57 AM by ThePerm »

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
Japan has a pretty healthy "second hand" retail market where anything can be found fairly easily for a high enough price in near mint/mint condition with a lot of people willing to pay up. In the west? No? Given the size of online there should be more activity so I guess the west is under served.

Maybe they just want the games at a more reasonable price that is packaged in the same authentic technology from 30 years ago.

See I am not sure if this is true any more. I was watching a certain podcast on Youtube where they described how the Japanese used gaming market was drying up.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
I would imagine any dry-up would be related to the slow migration to digital games. The desire and market demand has not gone away, but there are less and less titles to release into said market, forcing it to dry up.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 08:52:18 PM »
Stumbled across one at Wal-Mart this morning, bought it.

I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »
It's beautiful.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 09:15:11 PM »
Because Scalping Systems and Games should be illegal.

I would be in favor of releasing legislation that prevents people from selling systems at more that 20% MSRP for 3 months after its release. After that have a ball.

The value of an NES classic is that it is a low price system with 30 games. It's a deal for people on a budget. But scalpers came and bought all the systems up and have been upselling them without budging on the price. Scalping is illegal for game, concert, and theatre tickets. It should be illegal here. I think it has gone too far and contributes to holiday violence. It is fucking terrible that you don't see a product in the store, and then it's only impossible for all but the rich to buy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:35:44 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
Agreed.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
I'm now almost certain that we'll be adding the Switch to this thread on Friday...

https://twitter.com/DonaldMick/status/818598044505673729

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:27:23 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2017, 07:23:08 PM »
I'm now almost certain that we'll be adding the Switch to this thread on Friday...

https://twitter.com/DonaldMick/status/818598044505673729

As disappointing and ugly as this would be, it's hard to act surprised given how Nintendo has handled supply for big ticket items over the past... what is it now, decade?  Stop the train, I'd like to get off please.
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »
Because Scalping Systems and Games should be illegal.

I would be in favor of releasing legislation that prevents people from selling systems at more that 20% MSRP for 3 months after its release. After that have a ball.

The value of an NES classic is that it is a low price system with 30 games. It's a deal for people on a budget. But scalpers came and bought all the systems up and have been upselling them without budging on the price. Scalping is illegal for game, concert, and theatre tickets. It should be illegal here. I think it has gone too far and contributes to holiday violence. It is fucking terrible that you don't see a product in the store, and then it's only impossible for all but the rich to buy.

Places like Stub Hub and the league-sponsored resale sites pretty much legalize scalping though.  If you were to make a law, you should make it unanimous.  Those sites really irk me because the resell tickets are more expensive because the event is sold out, but the event is sold out because people buy tickets to resell them!  The supply/demand curve is all outta whack.  AND I'll be those people don't pay taxes on that transaction.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.