Author Topic: Star Fox Zero To Feature Additional Difficulty Options  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Star Fox Zero To Feature Additional Difficulty Options
« on: March 14, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »

Aside from taking different forks in the sky.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/42283/star-fox-zero-to-feature-additional-difficulty-options

You'll be able to make Star Fox Zero as easy - or as hard - as you want.

In an interview with Time Magazine, Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that the April 22 release will feature plenty of options for adjusting the game's difficulty. Among the options will be a challenge mode for experienced players where the Arwing takes/deals more damage, as well as a "invincibility" option for newcomers.

It isn't clear as to whether the option refers to something similar to the Super Guide or an easily obtainable in game powerup.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Star Fox Zero To Feature Additional Difficulty Options
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »
Meh. Whatever.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:17:46 PM »
I for one welcome the extra difficulty options.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:34:23 AM »
Meh. Whatever.

Ah, come on! :D
It's the God Mode of old without the secret code fuss or a microtransaction!

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »
Well if we look at Twilight Princess HD, it's probably Amiibo activated.

Fox makes it 16-bit.
Falco makes it more difficult.
Slippy makes it impossible to die.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »
Meh. Whatever.

And yet you felt the need to still drive by **** post. ::)
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
I hope you can adjust mid-playthrough.  That way I can start it, and then tone it down if I just wanna finish it quickly.

Well if we look at Twilight Princess HD, it's probably Amiibo activated.

Fox makes it 16-bit.
Falco makes it more difficult.
Slippy makes it impossible to die.

Slippy amiibo confirmed??
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »
I always welcome difficulty options, though outright invincibility seems a little too easy.  Star Fox games aren't very long so wouldn't you plow through it in an hour?  You don't have to use it but I'd argue that there is a point where you're letting the player do a major disservice to themselves.  At least make them enter a code.  But then we don't know exactly how it will work yet anyway.  An Amiibo unlock would suck.  That's basically "pay to beat the game".  **** that ****.  That's like a slippery slope away from F2P scam design.

Though I understand why a company would think to put modes like the Super Guide in place.  As a kid I was pretty terrible at games so I loved putting on god mode codes and plowing through games with no challenge, because I felt I otherwise wouldn't get to see the later levels.  You can find a full playthrough of any game on Youtube so if you just wanted to see everything there is no need to own the game itself.  I'm sure there are kids that do that all the time.  So for a game where children are part of the audience the Super Guide keeps them playing the games instead of watching them online.  If the kid just wants to see everything without truly playing the game then let them do it in a way where they're still your customer.  I don't know if it has worked (such plans are usually derailed when the console itself doesn't sell) but I get the concept.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
Look guys. Just because Broodwars is always looking on the bright side of things on these forums, it's no reason to constantly attack him with your negativity. Why is it that every time someone posts a sunny and rosy opinion about a game or Nintendo related matter, everyone has to try and take the piss out of them? You never see Broodwars doing this and I think we could all learn something from his positive example on these forums. I say we all try and be more like him and just post encouraging posts on one another's thoughts and unbridled enthusiasm at any game news and information. You might just find that being an apathetic, cynical, wet blanket isn't as cool or hip as you think it is.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 03:12:05 PM »
Look guys. Just because Broodwars is always looking on the bright side of things on these forums, it's no reason to constantly attack him with your negativity. Why is it that every time someone posts a sunny and rosy opinion about a game or Nintendo related matter, everyone has to try and take the piss out of them? You never see Broodwars doing this and I think we could all learn something from his positive example on these forums. I say we all try and be more like him and just post encouraging posts on one another's thoughts and unbridled enthusiasm at any game news and information. You might just find that being an apathetic, cynical, wet blanket isn't as cool or hip as you think it is.

Seriously, the news is fine. It's just so far down the list of questions I could have about the state of Star Fox Zero that I seriously could not give less of a **** about difficulty modes. It's good for those who won't be good enough. Without some incentive like an achievement system to encourage trying various difficulty modes, it just won't affect me one way or another. I wouldn't have posted at all except there are some online (just like w/ FE) complaining about the addition.

Sheesh, I go for brevity over a 3 paragraph treatise and no one gets it. Apathy != Negativity. Some of you are allegedly intelligent enough to understand that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:16:02 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
And of all the posts to quote and respond to, you picked Khushrenada's, the only one that was made in jest.

Anyway, I'm okay with this if it's an entire mode you actively have to go out of your way to choose because then you know exactly what you're doing. You've chosen invincibility mode, and the game just let's you do your thing. Nintendo has spent years experimenting with ways to help struggling players. The Super Guide always felt intrusive and annoying. An option to shut that off would have been fine too. I know I'm sucking at the game, but I'll figure it out so stop reminding me of how bad I am. That said, a big "Try Invincibility Mode" message popping up when you die several times on a level is just as bad a Mockery Pig from Donkey Kong Country Returns. Failure is a part of developing skill. An invincibility mode or a Super Guide can be useful tools so I think there's a place for it in games, but don't shove it down people's throats.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
Eh, it was part tongue-in-cheek and part critique. I had the bigger post on it so replying to my post makes sense. I had the same reaction as Broodwars really. The news doesn't change any of my thoughts on the game nor my desire to play/not play it. I just didn't bother to post that fact because I didn't think it would add anything to the conversation.

However, seeing some of the other posts now, I think I could actually seeing myself using the invincibility mode for at least searching through a level to look for secrets in it. When playing Mario games, it can sometimes be a frustrating trial and error as you search through a level knowing you are missing a secret of some kind and trying to find it because you can get injured, lose power-ups, die and have to play it over and over a few times. Invincibility mode may help speed up the process and let you figure out what you need to do so that you can then do so in normal mode. Unlike the Super Kong in DKCR that will just automatically get to the end but not pick up puzzle pieces or other items which makes it kind of useless unless you really want to move on, Invincibility mode may actually provide some service and even fun.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.