Author Topic: Special: NWR Book Interview with Michael Cole  (Read 2147 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Special: NWR Book Interview with Michael Cole
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »

Jonny is recording long-form interviews with staff members from the past 17 years of this website, and you can listen to them as a preview for his upcoming book. Check out the very first one, featuring super-veteran TYP!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42247/special-nwr-book-interview-with-michael-cole

Welcome to the first in a series of special podcasts, hosted by your friends at Radio Free Nintendo. Former host Jonathan Metts is sharing his extensive interviews with current and former staff members from Nintendo World Report [the very site you are now reading, which is also still widely known as Planet GameCube (which is one of the long-term prices we've had to pay for the privilege of changing our name at the peak of our popularity).] These interviews are part of his research for an upcoming book about the long-running website, focusing on its vast array of dedicated, all-volunteer creators. This paragraph is painfully thorough because I want to reuse it for each subsequent release from this series, which is planned to continue throughout 2016!

This first episode is all about Michael "TYP" Cole, who has been a major contributor, both ahead and behind the scenes, in various capacities for well over a decade. Mike describes how he joined the staff as a teenager and stuck around to develop lifelong friendships and valuable career skills, while playing a ton of video games in the process. Plus: the long and winding evolution of Radio Trivia, and Mike turns the table on his interviewer.

If you haven't already, subscribe to Radio Free Nintendo with the links above to automatically receive all upcoming interviews in this series. You'll also get brand-new episodes of the best Nintendo podcast, according to caucus-goers in 17 states and counting.

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Special: NWR Book Interview with Michael Cole
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:17:46 AM »
Very entertaining and informative.  Hope it was as much run to record as it was to listen to (and sounds like that was the case)!
NNID: ejamer

Offline llehuty

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »
There is also this:Official GameCube Logo Revealed!

Amazing stuff.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »
You 2 discussed "why do staff and readers stick around?"
Obviously I can't speak for why the staff sticks around, but I can tell you I read the site 5 days a week because of RFN.
I want 2 Nintendo news sources and I've switched the second one around a number of times, but since RFN is my favorite podcast (and I listen to a lot of podcasts) I've decided that NWR will remain as one of my daily news sources. I get the RSS feed in my work email and every day I scan through them and then read all of the articles that interest me.
I've been doing this since about 6 months before the Wii U launched I stumbled across RFN as I was looking for more info to try and determine if I should buy one at launch. I enjoyed the episode I listened to (you talked about the Wii U) and decided to subscribe and listen for a few episodes. That had turned into me listening to every episode since plus more than half of your back catalog.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:36:50 PM »
This was great!  I hope to hear more of you both on the main podcasts when you have time, and look forward to the book when that massive effort is done.  Thank you both.