Author Topic: Super Mario 3D World Thread.  (Read 34952 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D World Thread.
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 01:00:47 AM »
I have no issue with the controls, and I'd argue the art design fits the kind of game they're making, more of an extension of the 2D games into 3D. I guess I'm just not looking for 3D Mario to be about exploration; my favorite parts of them have been the very linear point-to-point platforming challenges. The Bowser levels in Mario 64, the void levels in Sunshine, I would argue at least a majority of the stages in both Galaxy games, those are what I want 3D Mario to be. The Galaxy games were in many ways very different games from the two 3D Marios that preceded them, and 3D Land/World go even further in that direction. At the end of the day, you and I just like different things about the 3D Mario games, and EAD Tokyo seems more inclined to go my way.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 03:50:58 AM »
I still find it funny how people have a problem when this will be only the second 3D Mario of its kind.  Even people that didn't like 3D Land should be interested since sequels usually improve on the first games flaws.  For all they know this game could fix the problems they had with 3D Land.

Now if they don't like 3D World and the next 3D Mario is a third game of this kind then they'll have a point.  But right now this is the only sequel 3D Land has had so we're still in new territory here.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 04:40:24 AM »
This game seems to be the Galaxy 2 to 3D Land. I expect the difficulty to be less of an issue and to see a refinement of the ideas in the first game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
I've yet to have one person legitimately attempt to discuss the numerous flaws I've found in 3D Land
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned a few times that I also disliked 3D Land. Part of it is how stupidly easy the game is. The counter-argument to that is always "Did you get to the Special Worlds?" Yes, I did. It was better, but why does that justify the first half of the game being boring as tar? Also, many of those levels were carbon copies with cosmic clones or shorter time limits added. 3D Land's level progression felt really random. First you were in the desert, next in snow area, then in beach, and back again. It makes sense in Galaxy since each level is self-contained in its own galaxy, but it feels like you're going in circles in 3D Land with this progression. I feel that 3D Land is the only Super Mario game that was truly rushed, and it makes sense: development of the game was basically a year and a half (if it started immediately after Galaxy 2), all the other 3D Mario titles took significantly longer. It was going toward some good places, but it feels like it didn't quite finish getting there.

In that regard, I feel that with 3D World they have more development time and know what worked and what didn't work in 3D Land. I'm excited to see what comes of 3D World as a result.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
I've watched gameplay of all available levels available and wow -- game looks absolutely amazing.

Boss battle
Boss hasn't even appeared and we're at the entrance, but i'm already floored by the visuals of the arena.
Bell powerup that you need to beat the boss is placed at the entrance, but you don't even need it, cause the boss himself will provide if you will miss it.
Rounded arena reminds of Poltergeist boss from Galaxy or Bowser Jr. giant robot fight where you also needed specific power up to beat him.
Classic Nintendo cue to mark boss' weak spot with a bandaid.

Mice Hills
This is the only shown level that is actually rehashing SML3D Land gameplay style. Every other levels have other distinctive gimmicks to make them different.
Even then big sprawling open area in the beginning reminds me or Mario 64 rather than SML 3D Land. One notable introductions is rolling parts of the landscape from NSMB series. Dungeon in the middle is vanilla SML 3D Land-style diorama. Even there, hidden area with a green star is pretty interesting.

Glass tubes level
This level reminds me of NSMB Wii/U levels where you had separated floating islands in the mountains with those black thingies going by predetermined route between them, you had to jump from island to island all the while avoiding or destroying them. They just took this game play, transformed islands to 3d areas and made black thingies go horizontally inside the tubes.
Spinning jumps! It looks like jumping on your co-op partner's head makes you spin. I wonder if you can do it by yourself from the ground like in Sunshine.
Star power up that are given thoughout entire level also remind more of 2d Marios. Also  Peach changes her dress a bit after taking fire powerup and blue Toad just becomes red Toad.
Nice part with five keys in the tube.

Level 6-3
This level is designed around cat power up, and has a lot of alternative routes and vertically oriented gameplay, closer to Sunshine levels than to 3d Land or 2d series.
Camera in co-op is a problem though. I can see constantly getting off the screen becoming a nuisance in such complex 3d level like this. Maybe the can do dynamic splitscreen or tone down complexity of the 3d environment, make it more open so that camera can see everyone at all times, i dunno.

Level 1-5
I don't think i understand how this works in co-op. Should everyone press jump button at the same time to do special jump? Can other players who weren't on the "driver's seat" compete with Toad who took all points simply because he was the first?
Otherwise it looks like one of the ride levels from Galaxy games.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:37:34 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »
I've yet to have one person legitimately attempt to discuss the numerous flaws I've found in 3D Land, and I posted a whole lot in the "top 10 3DS games" topic pretty religiously about it. Many people said "I have no idea what you're talking about" rather than address the lack of creativity in visual aesthetic and cohesiveness, in addition to the sloppy controls. I'm convinced the entirety of NWR is trying to troll me rather than seriously acknowledge the viewpoint of an avid Nintendo- and Mario- fan. 3D Land is possibly just as uninspired and bland as many of you claim New Super Mario Bros. 2 to be, except NSMB2 has a sense of unification.

I said that out of exasperation, though maybe I should have realized that perhaps the joke was lost on people since the last time I posted here was... well, to argue about 3D Land in the top 3DS picks. I post on here so infrequently because of the whole "the same ****, different day" vibe of the forum- my opinions mean nothing because a lot of people thought 3D Land was "neat", every game I like everyone else hates, and watching Ian Sane and Broodwars bash Nintendo. Makes me question my tastes, man...

Eh. I've felt that way about Super Mario Galaxy. It gets so much praise and I can't help wondering if people played the same game I did. It makes you feel like people aren't thinking for themselves. I get your feelings on the matter. At the same time, other games I love there are people that intensly dislike. Super Mario Sunshine is a favorite of mine but so many people complain about things in it that I'm just as surprised about those reactions as well. Insanolord is bored by Super Mario World but I get why he likes 3D Land so much. He's a huge fan of SMB3 and 3D land really taps into that games vibe. It is the Mario game I end up comparing it to the most.

Personally, I've enjoyed Mario Land 3D a heck of a lot more than most of the other Mario games I've played. It's not one of my top 5 but it might be #6 at the moment. Looking at your complaints, I'll tell you quickly my personal thoughts on it.

I personally had no issue with the controls. That is a complaint I have with SMG. I didn't have an issue with the camera. That is another issue with SMG. The overreliance of Tanooki Suit I don't see as being any different that the reliance on feather/cape in SMW. You say you found the levels boring. I think NSMB2 was more guilty of this criticism as I can literally remember nothing except for two brief moments in that game and I just played it like 3 months ago whereas 3D Land I can start recalling a bunch of different levels and moments that stick out to me.

As for the difficulty curve, I've found of late that varies so much in any Mario game. The 2D ones are usually able to stay pretty consistant but in the 3D games, you can have a bunch of easy levels than a really hard challenge than some easy stuff and then the most difficult thing in the world and then more easy stuff. A lot of times, the last levels really aren't that challenging compared to some of the other tasks that came before it. That said, there were few times I had to go back to a level to find a coin I didn't get and that was usually because I didn't have a needed power-up. I will agree it was pretty easy but I still had some moments that took a while and would die over and over. However, I was enjoying what the game had to offer enough that it didn't bother me. Sort of like Kirby's Epic Yarn. Difficulty was low but I was just enjoying the experience.

As for the music, yeah, I'd agree with you on that as it seemed to reliant to me on past Mario tunes. That said, most music for Mario games in the past 5-6 years I've found to be pretty boring. To its credit, Galaxy did have some good music in it which I acknowledge but most other Mario games of late have failed in that regard.

Yes, the game is linear but when it was revealed and shown and released, it was always made very clear that it would be 2D levels brought into a 3D space more and you would go from one end to the next. That said, I prefer having a level layed out before you and going from A to B compared to Galaxy usually shooting me from one small rock with nothing much to see or do on it to the next small rock and so on until reaching the end of the level. At least with 3D Land, I can move from start to end and end to start if I so wish. Galaxy does not do that.

Finally, 3D Land had some new ideas in it that I don't recall seeing before in any Mario game and if they did appear before, well, they made them stand out in this game. So because of encountering this originality, it gets a higher grade/impression in my mind. So, there are some of my thoughts on the game.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:45:18 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2013, 03:44:10 PM »
Oh yeah. You also mentioned how there was no unifying aspect from one level to the next or for each of the worlds even. I do agree with you on that for sure. I found that part a bit odd as well and it does leave the game feeling a bit more abstract than any other Mario game I've ever played. I totally get why that could bother someone.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »
We'll be Sunshine bros then, Khushrenada. I love that game to bits.

Also, apologies if I flood your backloggery feed- I'm updating all the games I've played in like, the last eight months.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
Game Looks great and its a follow up t my favorite 3D Mario game.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »
Okay, so I finally got around to watching all the videos of this game.

And... as much as I hate Mice Hills, the rest of the game actually looks... *sigh*... very good. Mice Hills is the only thing that really tears at my heart, because it's so bland. But pretty much everything- 1-5, 6-3, the Tube level... they're not bad. The vertical nature of 6-3, Mice Hills, and even the Tube level is really annoying- I mean, does every level have to have a boring vertical segment? That being said, I hope this game does feature more stages with unique gameplay like 1-5, which looked genuinely fun. 6-3 wasn't even that bad because it had some aesthetic consistency- something I pray this game has over anything else.

But still, 3D Land sucks.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
We'll be Sunshine bros then, Khushrenada. I love that game to bits.

Also, apologies if I flood your backloggery feed- I'm updating all the games I've played in like, the last eight months.

Ha ha. Shine brother get!

No worries. I only post about monthly or so on backloggery anyways.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »
I am with you on 3D Land, Evan_B, and I am also a Shine Brother.  That game did have camera issues in a few areas and Yoshi was a mess, but otherwise was fantastic.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
When Mario went 3D it seemed that the "old" linear Mario design was going away and that was kind of lame.  I liked the new 3D ones but I didn't need it to outright replace the sidescrolling design.  Then Nintendo found a way to have BOTH by having NSMB and SMG co-existing.  So if you wanted linear Mario you have one game series and if you wanted full 3D exploration Mario you had another.  Only now we're back to just linear Mario.  Super Mario 3D Land seemed like a clever way to have a new twist on Mario that combined the two designs, but should it be the outright replacement for full 3D Mario?  If you want fixed camera angle linear Mario you can play the 3DS game.  But those of us that would prefer the full 3D design get NOTHING.  I can't help but feel that Nintendo intends to make the 3D Land template the new one for 3D Mario because it has simpler gameplay that appeals more to casuals and requires less work in development and lesser production values.  The Mario 64 template is more hardcore and less accessible and thus doesn't interest Nintendo.  They noticed that NSMB kicked Super Mario Galaxy's ass in sales and decided to make the 3D series more like the 2D one.

Deep down Super Mario 3D Land is Bug! for the Saturn.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »
Ian, have you seen the levels? They are exactly like 3D mario. Seriously, check them out. All the levels except that meh one with the mice are pretty awesome looking. They honestly remind me of those levels within Sunshine.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
I'm in the middle of World 3 and it's been pretty fun so far. The levels are varied and enjoyable, and seem to be getting better and better as I progress. Definitely better design than 3D Land. I like the music, but the graphics are a little plain and don't seem to push the Wii U at all. The one thing I don't like is what I figured I wouldn't, and that's the controls. They're a little tighter, but still as clunky as 3D Land. They're serviceable, but this is definitely the worst-controlling Mario ever, along with 3D Land. No idea why Nintendo moved away from the tight, smooth, silky control of Super Mario World. Looking forward to playing with the ol' roomie in the coming week.

There isn't much difference as I would have thought between characters, but there are subtle differences. It's funny, but Mario might actually be the worst character in the game since he has no specialty.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »
Here are my initial thoughts on the game from another thread.
Super Mario 3D World
It's bangarang.

Peach's floaty jump isn't as useful as it was in Super Mario Bros. 2, mostly because it doesn't last long. I may switch to Mario because Peach is noticeably slower than the other characters. I'm still trying to get the hang of the cat suit. Sometimes, I press the wrong button when trying to climb.

It's obvious that the game was built for four players so the stages feel rather large while playing solo. I wouldn't necessarily call that a negative. It just makes avoiding enemies a lot easier than it was in Super Mario 3D Land. That makes the game even easier than Mario titles typically already are. It may (and probably will) get way more difficult later on.

The graphics are excellent. They're as good as graphics in a Mario games are ever going to get unless Nintendo changes the art direction. There are no jaggies or pop up and from what I've read, the game runs at 60 frames per second all the time, even when there are things everywhere. Not that Mario games will never impress again or can never improve in terms of graphics (since what can be done with art can't really be quantified), but the art direction doesn't really lend itself to looking better than it does here. For what Nintendo has been going for with the Galaxy games and 3D Land, they topped themselves off with 3D World.
I just got to World 6. I stuck with Peach. Her jump did save me a few times, but that could be negated with the Tanooki suit though it's relatively rare in this game. It has only shown up in like three stages so far.

I played multiplayer last night with two other people (unfortunately, a third was not available). I liked it more than New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U. It's also pretty fun to compete for points.

I'm used to the controls now. I don't mind them. I kept thinking I had to press a button to grab onto the wall with the cat suit.

The only thing I dislike about the game is being forced to use the Gamepad for certain stages. Those stages are silly because they don't really need to use the Gamepad. They would work just fine with actions mapped to buttons or the right analog stick. It's one of those instances where the developers felt like they had to use the Gamepad so they did. Thus, the stages are mediocre. The Gamepad is a really great controller, but it has to be used intelligently. A game has to be built around it for it to work. It was the same with motion controls. The whole use-it-because-it-is-there mentality is where design suffers. I especially dislike how you can't turn off the gyroscope in the Captain Toad stages (as far as I know). I'll move the camera right where I want it using the right analog stick then accidentally move the Gamepad and it screws up the view.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
There are no jaggies or pop up
I actually did see some popup in a couple of stages, which was surprising. I thought this was something left behind in the Nintendo 64 era, but I guess not. Oh well, at least the game is indeed 60 FPS, which helps the smoothness of the game.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »
Launching alongside the new consoles may have been the best thing that could have happened for this game. If I had a nickel for every tweet by a game journalist saying they were playing Super Mario 3D World instead of PS4 or Xbox One I'd be a rich man. In terms of the hardcore audience Nintendo couldn't buy better advertising than that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2013, 12:12:04 AM »
So happy to discover time trials are indeed back.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2013, 02:03:22 AM »
I'm really liking this game and when I first laid eyes on it during E3 it was the 2nd time 3D Mario had underwhelmed me in a trailer. I thought. Galaxy 2 taught me a true lesson but again I had some learning to do.

The controls aren't as free as the Galaxy titles(that's the only way I can put it into words) but that just may be having to get used to no triple jump. I'm adjusting and enjoying the heck out of it.

These graphics are fantastic to me, I can't recall seeing one pop up, jaggie or anything. Of course I'm not looking for those things and while I'm playing the music just melts my soul and I barely notice anything else. When. I think of the Galaxy titles I feel like there were more particles(?) all over the place. Patches of flowers, rocks and what ever else scattered about that was almost over whelming to the eyes. I'm only on world 3 and so far it seems like there is less stuff all over the place, cleaner if you will but it still looks amazing to me!

I like the Toad Brigade levels where there is no jumping. I agree that gamepad only is silly but I think they are so fun and nice change of pace. I played another really hard gamepad only level where I had to touch the screen to make the platforms appear. It was challenging and was fun use of the touch screen.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2013, 02:11:21 AM »
So are we thinking at this point that the past couple Mario games were fairly bland and boring at E3 just so they could blow us away even more?

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2013, 02:24:09 AM »
Still have to wait till Friday...

One of the things i noticed in one of the commercials and isn't talked much is that rolling jumps are back.

I beat 3D Land without knowing they were even there, but when i came back to beat final ultimate level i had learn this move and it made the game so much faster.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D World
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2013, 04:25:18 AM »
It seems like a step DOWN from Super Mario Galaxy and I don't buy new videogame systems to go backwards.  Now it might be Super Mario 3D Land's status as a handheld title that makes this seem more minor than it really is.  Typically the consoles set the template, not the handhelds.

This just seems too conventional and too safe and that is NOT how 3D Mario rolls.  The 3D Mario series was the cutting edge of 3D platformers, setting the new standards that the rest of the genre would follow.

Luigi Dude mentions that no one should be surprised by this.  I'm not, but I'm still disappointed.  I'm just not interested in safe cookie-cutter EA-esque Nintendo.  I didn't become a Nintendo fan for this.  And I'll argue that this won't do dick for sales because the Wii U isn't offering anything new.  So it's the same old **** but now with graphics that were cutting edge in 2006?  I don't see a market for that.  NSMB U hasn't moved Wii Us so I don't see how other generic cookie-cutter Nintendo sequels will.  NSMB has been the ultimate cash cow for Nintendo and on the Wii U nobody gives a ****.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Deep down Super Mario 3D Land is Bug! for the Saturn.
YOU'VE NEVER EVEN PLAYED THE GAME, YOU TOOL
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »
This is the first game that really has captivated my daughter. She loves it when I choose princess peach and then she turns into a cat. It'll make it easy to get through this game in the next couple of weeks.

I think it's a great game thus far. I don't have issues with controls. My only minor complaint is the motion based physics is sometimes difficult to control in jumping segments.

I know those are old comments, but I don't understand Ian's point. There aee 4 NSMB (w/ NSLU) and 2 galaxies. Wouldn't the easy and predictable thing to keep making those?  I think 3d world is state of the art platforming in the way it mixes 2d and 3d worlds. It allows for new types of level design that.couldn't be seen before. I'm sure they'll keep making more traditional 3d and 2d games but I enjoy this series. I can't speak for people that enjoy 3d Mario's but as someone who enjoys 2d Mario's, I like this better than the Galaxy series. I'll have this beaten in 2 weeks while Galaxy 2 remains in my backlog.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
This game is exactly what Nintendo needed to produce for the Wii U. It does so many things right that you wouldn't possibly take the time to nitpick because you're too busy having fun! That's what this game is! Fun in 1080p at 60 fps.

My initial thoughts about the game would, at times, drift toward criticism. The first two world themes were basically variants on the little jazz jingle that is the main level theme. I began to wonder if every world theme would be this way. They aren't. Then I began to nitpick the levels. Sometimes it seems like the levels don't really fit the world theme ie. grassy platforming in the desert world. I decided who gives a flip. The level designs are basically perfect whether single player or up to four player. The variety of levels is so great that I'm in world 6 and I still feel like I'm at the beginning of the game. I'm afraid it'll end soon, but I've played through a ton of levels. Please don't ever end...

There have already been, easily, a half dozen levels I don't think I'll ever forget. For me, this is the definition of a masterpiece, folks. Even though I don't think I've missed many secrets so far (green stars, incl.) I'll be tempted to play it again. Just because. The design of the game is such that I just like playing. I like messing around. The music is some of the best in any Mario game. The graphics are definitely the best of any Nintendo game--those of you who saw the sunken ship scene know what I'm thinking of when I make that comment. There is much about this game that pushes Mario platforming, and the funny thing is that the movement physics have been refined. I find myself making fun little mistakes that result in me dying. They're good controls, though. Mario should get up a bit of speed before making a big leap.

I'm 31 and I feel like I'm 6 years old again. This is game of the year. No doubts.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:52:08 AM by Agent-X- »