Poll

What do you expect to pay for the Wii U console + 1 GamePad at launch in November?

$199.99 (no pack-in)
0 (0%)
$249.99 (no pack-in)
0 (0%)
$299.99 (no pack-in)
1 (4.3%)
$349.99 (no pack-in)
0 (0%)
$199.99 (includes Nintendo Land)
0 (0%)
$249.99 (includes Nintendo Land)
4 (17.4%)
$299.99 (includes Nintendo Land)
12 (52.2%)
$349.99 (includes Nintendo Land)
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: What do you expect to pay for Wii U at launch?  (Read 6502 times)

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
What do you expect to pay for Wii U at launch?
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:33:12 AM »
FYI: Nintendo have stated that the console and GamePad will be in the box at minimum. Pack-ins are not confirmed, and possibly haven't even been decided on yet!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
Re: What do you expect to pay for Wii U at launch?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »
My most dreadful prediction is 350 but I'll settle with the 299.99 with Nintendoland.

I mean, come on. That's the Wii U tech demo in a nutshell.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:54:30 AM »
$349.99 with Nintendo Land isn't an option. It's either that or $299.99 with Nintendo Land.

If it is at all financially possibly for Nintendo to launch at $249.99 or lower with Nintendo Land, they should. Nintendo just needs people to buy the box and the lower the price, the easier that is. Nintendo left a lot on the table by not pricing the Wii higher, but I don't see the same kind of demand for Wii U (though, i suppose, you never really know). It's a nice system but the GamePad is considerably less radical. The more and faster consoles sell, the more confidence consumers and 3rd parties will have in the machine. I don't think Nintendo should take a loss. Pricing is going to be really important here.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 02:08:51 AM »
No $350?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:18 AM »
Considering the majority of Wii sold in America and Europe had some kind of game bundled with the system the Wii U must have a game bundled as well.  Everyone knows the Wii was $250 at launch and came with Wii Sports.  Outside of Japan, people expect Wii systems to have a game included.  If Nintendo was to release the Wii U for $250 or above without any game packed in, it'll be a huge marketing mistake since it would make the Wii U look like a lesser deal then the Wii since it contains less to the mass public.

And after the 3DS early months disaster, the system will not be any higher then $300.  Iwata has said they wont make the same mistakes with the Wii U launch as the 3DS launch and consider the 3DS being $100 more then the DS was at launch was the biggest mistake, the Wii U isn't going to be $100 more then the Wii was at launch.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:25:37 AM »
If Nintendoland ends up being a packin its going to be a packin for every system. If its the equivalent of Wii Sports (and it seems to be) then they're going to do it exactly like they did with that and try to replicate that success. So I seriously doubt there would be a non-Nintendoland SKU at launch.

That said, as far as price goes I will have to go with $299.99 because that's the highest price listed. I think it might end up being higher than that though, but this poll is very limited in options so I have to work with what's there.
is your sanity...

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:26:49 AM »
And that's why I've been saying all along...

$329.99 (with Nintendo Land packed in).

EDIT: With that said, I'm not voting until a $329.99 price gets added to this poll. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 03:27:06 AM »
My apologies guys, I've added $349.99 as an option for both types and reset it, if you could make your choices again.

I guess I didn't imagine they'd go that high!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 04:36:25 AM »
$349.99 w/ pack-in game.

That is the ceiling. I hope they make it worth that price, not just charge us that much for it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »
Nintendo can't really afford to sell the Wii U at a loss. It would be asking a lot for them to even just breakeven. I think we'll get a better feel for the demand once the marketing blitz starts.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 05:31:13 AM »
£199 or £250.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »
I hope they "do a Wii" and stick to $250 with a pack-in.

Core gamers might see that and say "oh what the hell, it's another HD system I can own, for that price what's the worst that could happen?"

$300 or over and people will do a "wait and see", and most probably skip the Wii U altogether and wait for PS4/720..
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »
Ha, trick question!  I'm paying $0 because there is no way Nintendo can convince me to buy at launch after the ill will they've built up from anemic Wii software support over the past couple of years, and because 3DS was a rough reminder that there is never enough software within a year of launch worth playing to justify any investment on my part.

If I do buy a Wii U eventually, it certainly won't be until a price drop happens and there is a stable of compelling software on the shelf waiting to be played.  Even then, Nintendo has yet to convince me that Wii U is a better option than buying a PS3 or 360 to enjoy the existing library of (cheap) games on those systems.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »
I definitely think $300 stand-alone or $350 with Nintendo Land is what we can expect.  Anything at Wii launch price or lower is probably very idealistic/naive, especially considering their handheld is $170, and the 3DS XL will be at a $200 price point.

While potentially awesome, I think Nintendo would be concerned with perceived value of Wii U if it was priced so close to their handhelds.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:35:47 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »
I definitely think $300 stand-alone or $350 with Nintendo Land is what we can expect.

Whatever the price is I'm sure Nintendoland is going to be included regardless. Sure, it cost Nintendo money to develop that game, but it doesn't cost them much to bundle it in... only 10 cents of plastic if its on a disc, and even less than that if its pre-loaded on the console digitally.
is your sanity...

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »
$349.00 with nintendoland.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:09 AM »
I definitely think $300 stand-alone or $350 with Nintendo Land is what we can expect.

Whatever the price is I'm sure Nintendoland is going to be included regardless. Sure, it cost Nintendo money to develop that game, but it doesn't cost them much to bundle it in... only 10 cents of plastic if its on a disc, and even less than that if its pre-loaded on the console digitally.

I'm inclined to agree with you, I'm just saying IF there is no game bundled, i'd expect that price point.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 09:31:17 AM »
I think Nintendo might try to recoup their development cost of Nintendoland through the sale of DLC for it down the road. Didn't they say they were going to support DLC? Nintendoland would be a good choice for their first game to make use of it. The game would be free (with console purchase), but there could be extra bells and whistles you'd have to pay extra for and that way Nintendo could have a bundled system seller like Wii Sports, but at the same profit directly off it in the long run.
is your sanity...

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
Think Nintendo will go with $299 option since MS and Sony haven't reduced their current gen prices (MS only offering new Kinect Xbox's at $200 and Sony's PS3 model is at $250).  Also I expect Nintendoland to be F2P, meaning free game with a bunch of DLC paid content. 

Nintendo "can" sell for cheaper and take the initial loss but like with handhelds there's not alot of accessories that is going to be needed for the WII U since the remotes, balance board, ect all work with the new system and most likely early adopters will likely have all them already. 

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:01 AM »
$400 AUD, The same price I paid for the Wii.

It's going to be bundled with Nintendoland, well in the West atleast.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
I was looking at Amazon and the PS3 and XBox360 still command the $200-$300 range.  I'm going to assume that will drop to the $200-$250 range by the time the Wii U comes out.  That puts Nintendo in the position to need to be slightly more than that to position themselves as a Premium Product that is the next Gen.  I see that prices will be $300-$350 and Nintendoland will not be a disc but a Pre-loaded or Free Downloaded piece of Software.  If they are doing DLC with NintendoLand then I see it being Pre-Loaded on the System, but Missing 1 or 2 attractions that will really be Tutorials to going online and buying DLC (They'll be Free).  I also think that the early adopters will have at least 1 carrot to go to the eShop and get it all setup.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
I think it has to be $299.  $349 seems like it is pushing the high end and they don't want to repeat the 3DS mess and price it too high.  On the other end, I can't imagine it being less than $299, if it is that's a sign they didn't include enough power in the hardware and they're going to be way behind technologically in a couple years.  Nintendoland has to be a pack in, with as many Wiis as Wii Sports sold, they've gotta be hoping Nintendoland strikes lightning in a bottle again and is a system seller.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
299? Nope.

349? Nada.

$329.99? Yes sir, indeed.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
I'm voting for $299.99 with NintendoLand, but I'm budgeting for $299.99 without NintendoLand.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
I'm going to cast my vote for $329.99....

....Oh, wait... nevermind.  :-\
is your sanity...