Author Topic: Nintendo and the Decline of the Japanese Gaming Industry  (Read 17451 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo and the Decline of the Japanese Gaming Industry
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
In terms of Microsoft, I didn’t read their supposed leaked document; but from what I’ve heard, their intention isn’t to make a huge leap this next generation with Xbox to keep costs lower. But the big part was they planned to switch to cloud gaming around 2015. I’m not familiar with the tech, but does that mean that they could stream games that could perform beyond the hardware specs? Then the Xbox would be used for Kinect v.2 and serving as an entertainment hub and utilizing devices like SmartGlass. That would also mean more profits, control of used games (although I still don’t think they could go 100% cloud, but some mixture with retail), and less piracy. I don’t know if that’s actually factual, and going to happen, but it doesn’t seem unreasonable; I’m sure some here know much better than I do. If that does happen then what does Sony do? Go overboard on specs and potentially run the risk of selling well below component cost, or make a reasonably powerful system that that they could get away charging $400 for and not bankrupt SCE? Also, with cloud gaming, is that something consoles can switch over to eventually, or does it require substantial server integration? That doesn’t seem like something Japanese companies would be willing to do overseas, whereas Microsoft may have more of a sure bet.
If MS goes to the Cloud for gaming it would require for people to have Broadband capable Internet to play any game.  Your console would essentially not be doing any of the heavy lifting.  It would probably have in it hardware decompression for the Video, Sound, etc.  A large server up on an Internet Backbone owned by MS would actually be rendering the game.  You couldn't actually own the game itself because you wouldn't have the hardware to actually run it.  I know that sounds sort of scary but, it moves gaming into the service category.  Console generations would become partially meaningless.  Buy the console, Pay MS a Subscription fee, and Play whatever game you want conceivably if they chose that model.  BC compatibility would just be if the hosting Server was still up.  Multiplayer would not be limited by the needs of shuffling data between consoles because it be between Servers who have a connection to each other that just isn't possible at home.  Console upgrades would be as simple as MS bringing up new bigger servers.  If designed right MS could even use the service to let you use your own PC to play the games. 
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »
 That’s why I don’t think Xbox could go 100% cloud, because all users who purchased the console would be required to have high-quality internet service. And what about initial purchasers who bought it for physical media or download; they can’t just be abandoned. That’s what I think is interesting. If it’s true, then Microsoft could stream very next gen games to their users. But there will also be a portion of users who don’t use the cloud gaming service for whatever reason. So if the hardware specs of the next Xbox are the closer to Wii U, there may be more similar multiplatform support. Obviously that’s speculation based on the $299 price point the document entailed, if it’s even true. Then that’s a big decision for Sony; I think they will try to build the most powerful system they can afford. If Xbox could provide PC level games through their service, but their physical hardware is more in line with Wii U, it will be interesting where PlayStation positions itself.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 01:31:33 PM »
It appears that THQ has returned the rights to Devil's Third back to Tomobu Itagaki's studio, Valhalla Studios, as a cost cutting measure (they are going broke, you know?). This would be a perfect time for Nintendo to capture a potential third party exclusive. Nintendo could approach Itagaki and say, "We'll handle the publishing and finances for you game and in exchange for our service you will make your game, Devil's Third, an exclusive to the Wii U." Something like this would help win over a whole lot of Itagaki's fans, and might persuade them to buy the Wii U to have his latest game. It also helps to the core appeal of your console when you have the guy that made one of the most brutal menacing game series, Ninja Gaiden, what is today.

http://kotaku.com/5923519/thq-gets-rid-of-devils-third-itagakis-studio-now-owns-it

Last we heard, Devil's Third - the latest game from Ninja Gaiden mastermind and badass Tomonobu Itagaki - was on hold as publishers THQ looked to offload it. Well, now they've offloaded it, giving all rights back to the developers, Itagaki's Valhalla Studios.
"THQ confirms that the company will not be publishing Devil's Third," a THQ spokesperson told Eurogamer. "All of the game's IP rights have been returned to Itagaki-san and the Valhalla team."
Seeing as the game was so far off, and that we've barely seen anything from it, it's hard to muster many feelings one way or another on the project. But hey, Itagaki has his fans, so hopefully someone can come along and throw a little money their way, get this thing on shelves (or at least in a playable state so we can take a look at it!)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
Well the game is probably no where being finished and Itagaki would probably want to make a game around the touchpad instead of a quick and dirty port. Sony wont get it either as Itahaki has been very public on how he feels about them and the Kings Gaiden ports where mostly a company thing and not his doing.

Dude has been pretty close with Microsoft and this would be a great pick up though. Itagaki already is very good with that hardware and this not only gives them there own action game dev (not sure the genre) but also a dev thats known for fighting hales and could get a killer instinct off the ground.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
But doesn't Nintendo want to make "family friendly" games? Anything with the word "Devil" in the title might offend the soccer mom casuals. They did buy Fatal Frame which is M rated, but at least the title isn't likely to put people off.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »
But doesn't Nintendo want to make "family friendly" games? Anything with the word "Devil" in the title might offend the soccer mom casuals. They did buy Fatal Frame which is M rated, but at least the title isn't likely to put people off.
Doesn't the new Brain Training game have the guy with devil horns on it?  I keep wondering how Nintendo is going to market that one outside Japan.