Author Topic: Miyamoto and I both have a favorite Mario game  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Miyamoto and I both have a favorite Mario game
« on: November 12, 2010, 02:00:42 AM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/11/qa-mario-creator-shigeru-miyamoto/1

And it's Super Mario World. SUCK ON THAT MARIO 3.

I still love Mario 3, but Yoshi >>>>> everything.

...How many times do people have to ask Miyamoto on how Mario wasn't originally a plumber?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Miyamoto and I both have a favorite Mario game
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »
I wonder if Star Fox 64 is still in his top 3. Every franchise seems to be coming back, I wish more people would ask him about Star Fox.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:13:16 AM »
Miyamoto has great taste.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »
I agree with Miyamoto, SMW is my favorite too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:09 AM »
SMW feels like the less "mario" game of the series, maybe it's just me.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
Super Mario World is my favourite, too!  SMB3 is an awesome game and was clearly the best Mario title when it was released.  But I don't get why so many people prefer it to SMW.  SMW was the most polished of the classic Mario titles.  The controls were perfect, the graphics and sound were as perfect as you could get before it starts looking less like Mario, it had the multiple paths and large single overworld and you could save, and it had Yoshi.  What does SMB3 honestly do better?  Is it the specific level design?  Does everyone just all ga-ga over the extra power-ups in SMB3?  I just never understood it.

Super Mario World is the most natural progression of the gameplay introduced in the first SMB.  It feels like that's what they wanted to do the first time out but couldn't.  And they've never gone beyond that with 2D Mario.  Yoshi's Island was a new design and the NSMB games are more like retro-nostalgia titles.  There was never a natural progression after SMW because I don't really think you can do one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
As I've said before, not only do I believe Mario 3 to be the best game in the series, but I just plain can't stand Super Mario World. I don't want to say I hate it, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind every time I think of it. I'm not sure why, but it's just not fun for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »
SMB3 is a roller coaster ride of meticulously designed platforming, death traps and tons of enemies out to get you.. SMW is a lot more laid back and far easier, and not just because you're allowed to save your game. I think it's partly a macho thing and partly whichever you grew with first. Maybe a little bit of sequel fatigue.

Miyamoto probably likes SMW better because he didn't have to work as hard on it.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
What does SMB3 honestly do better?  Is it the specific level design?  Does everyone just all ga-ga over the extra power-ups in SMB3?  I just never understood it.

Yes it is.  This is the reason why me and many others perfer Bros 3 to World because Bros 3 has much more variety in it's levels that offer a much better challenge.

SMB3 is a roller coaster ride of meticulously designed platforming, death traps and tons of enemies out to get you.. SMW is a lot more laid back and far easier, and not just because you're allowed to save your game. I think it's partly a macho thing and partly whichever you grew with first. Maybe a little bit of sequel fatigue.

Miyamoto probably likes SMW better because he didn't have to work as hard on it.

Yep, explains it all perfectly.  Considering Miyamoto has been all about wanting to make gaming more accessable to the masses for his entire life, it's no surprise that he likes World over Bros 3.  World is the much easier game that basically anyone with any gaming experience can play most of it without any problem.  World doesn't start to get challenging until you reach the levels around Bowsers Castle and the special stages after that.  So most of the levels in World can be played at a slow pace that doesn't overwelm anyone until the very end.  Bros 3 on the other hand picks up the challenge in World 3 and doesn't let go with every World getting harder and harder until you reach the final levels that will make most people go crazy.

So yeah, it all comes down to what gameplay style people perfer.  If you want more challenging, faster paced platformer with more variety to it's levels then Bros 3 is the better game.  If you want a more relaxing experience that allows you to explore more and play at a slower pace, then World is the better game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 03:41:29 PM »
SMB3 was pure platforming. SMW disregarded a lot of the pitch-perfect platforming levels by introducing more exploration. SMW isn't a bad game, but it's nowhere near as challenging, and in some ways quite boring. They're almost different genres, with SMW not prioritizing platforming to some extent.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »
So yeah, it all comes down to what gameplay style people perfer.  If you want more challenging, faster paced platformer with more variety to it's levels then Bros 3 is the better game.  If you want a more relaxing experience that allows you to explore more and play at a slower pace, then World is the better game.

That would make sense for my tastes.  For me, Mario is great and all but takes a back seat to Zelda and Metroid, which feature more exploration and a slower pace.  Hell, when Yoshi's Island came out I was initially bummed out that the level progression was so linear.  I loved how in SMW there were multiple paths and secret exits and the worlds were less formally structured (in Yoshi's Island each world as the exact same amount of levels and it's the same amount of levels between the mid-way and end castle).  If you don't give a **** about that then I understand why SMW doesn't blow you away like it does for me.

For me stuff like secret areas, exploration or non-linear progression are signs of depth in a game.  That's just kind of how my mind works.  Those things seem more ambitious than level-by-level straight action games and I tend to instinctively associate ambition with quality.  I've learned to appreciate pure action games (especially since they've become rare) but they still seem lesser to me in some way.

I think it's because my brother only plays "dumb" action games.  I don't mean "dumb" in that they're bad games and that you're stupid for liking them.  I mean "dumb" in that they require little to no thought and you don't have to really figure much out to succeed in them.  You succeed a lot on reflexes and skill.  My brother doesn't like Zelda or Metroid because he honestly isn't intellectual enough to be any good at them.  I think I tend to be somewhat elitist in regards to games that require the player to be smart or clever in order to succeed.  Super Mario World will reward a player that thinks.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »
That is interesting, since in the past he's said that he felt SMW was too rushed or incomplete.

As for a SMB3/SMW comparison, I prefer the setting/power-ups of the former, but the latter game just has a fluidity of movement that makes it just more fun to play IMHO.  I find it interesting that others think that SMB3 is the faster-paced game; going back to play it always makes me feel like Mario is so slow.  He has a high top speed than in SMW, but he seems more inert because of the slower acceleration.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
I love Super Mario World. I just love Super Mario Bros. 3 more. Even though Goomba's Shoe only showed up in World 5-3, it's one of my favorite items/power-ups.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
I love Super Mario World. I just love Super Mario Bros. 3 more. Even though Goomba's Shoe only showed up in World 5-3, it's one of my favorite items/power-ups.

I always enjoyed Kurobi's(sp?) shoe but never understood the love it gets. Now as for the Tanooki and Hammer Bros suit, those things will always cherished favorites. I think I like the enemies and power ups of Mario 3 more, but World does have a mystery about it that gives me a huge sense of adventure.

As a child I herd a rumor about flying past the goal tape to another goal tape that would lead me to the torpedo ted water level. Along with discovering all the odd little pathways around the map, I always felt like I never completed the game 100%. Mario World to this day is such a mystery to me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
I think I like the enemies and power ups of Mario 3 more, but World does have a mystery about it that gives me a huge sense of adventure.

True...I liked all the Hammer Brother variations in SMB3, and in a few levels in that game, you were also chased by the flipping SUN!  That enemy kind of freaked me out as a kid.

The one thing that was odd for SMW's setting.  For a world called Dinosaur Land, there's a surprising lack of dinosaur varieties...although, I used to like to imagine that it was Bowser's home country. :P
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »
I always enjoyed Kurobi's(sp?) shoe but never understood the love it gets.
You play through the level in a giant shoe. What's not to love about that?

Even though I liked the Tanooki Suit, it's only benefit over the Leaf was turning into a statue.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
I don't know...I can't choose just one Mario game as my favorite. I will say that I LOVE SMW, I think it has the most secrets of any Mario, and secrets are always fun. I still remember when I discovered Star Road...

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 07:31:02 PM »
The one thing that was odd for SMW's setting.  For a world called Dinosaur Land, there's a surprising lack of dinosaur varieties...
Not to mention that many of the lands had food names.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
Well the 2 best Mario games for design and concept are Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Super Mario 3 may have created the new Mario formula and was pretty ground breaking...it wasn't as balanced or as perfectly crafted as the others.