Author Topic: Mario's 25th Anniversary Collection?  (Read 22662 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Mario's 25th Anniversary Collection?
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »
That just goes to show you the poor job that most modern televisions do at upscaling standard-definition content. The games have never looked better on my CRT, though to be fair, I'm using component cables. Out of curiosity, I set the system to 480i to see how the game looked, and I noticed some flickering around certain graphics, most notably the text. So without component cables or a television that can properly upscale, things could look a little blurry. I might pull out my SNES copy and see if the flickering is noticeable in the original version, as I don't remember it if it's like that.

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »
The problem is that the NES originals are still among the top selling games on the VC, likely because new Wii owners probably want to replay their favorite games from their childhood. How many people bought any either version of Altered Beast for example?

That's an early mistake I made. Altered Beast. The Genesis version. I could only stand to play it for about 20 minutes before I just stopped.

I picked up th 25th anniversary collection (the Japanese version) the other day for roughly $25. i guess I had to see with my own eyes that this compilation is probably the laziest thing that Nintendo has ever done. Hell, it might even be the laziest thing that has ever been done in the history of the industry...Even if that last bit isn't true, I guess as a Nintendo fan, I have come to expect to be disappointed. I blame this on Yamauchi!
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
My parents got a new TV recently.  Out of sheer curiousity we hooked the old SNES up to it using standard AV cables.  Every game has this vertical green line across it.  You don't see it if there are colours but it shows up on black backgrounds.  Looks like complete ****.  I looked it up and it turns out this an issue with this brand of TV (can't remember off the top of my head) and the SNES.  I guess there was some visual defect in the system that is invisible at certain resolutions that this new HDTV now picks up.

In fact all sorts of stuff looks like crap on this TV.  DVDs look great.  HD broadcasts are amazing.  But you watch some old TV show on syndication and it is hard to look at.  I've noticed some of the Canadian networks have inferior visual quality, hell I notice that on my normal CRT TV, but on this TV the flaws are so obvious.  At the present time I have no incentive to upgrade.  For what I use a TV for it seems like there would more examples of the picture quality dropping than rising.  I need a better balance where crappy looking TV is more rare.

It seems like HDTV is more or less not backwards compatible.  I can see the obvious benefits and improvements of an HD broadcast but I didn't have a problem with what we had before and now it seems like what we had before is broken on HDTVs.  I figure as a purist I will have to keep an old CRT TV around specifically for my old consoles (which ironically will end up including the Wii).

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
Mario/25th should've been sent FREE to Nintendo Fun Club members who've gotten Platinum status 2 years in row, with a No Reprint Guarantee photo certificate by Reggie.  Yeah, this price is easily justified.

That way, even LESS people would be eligible to obtain it, and there'd be a greater proportion of whiners in the world. Just like the Nintendo Power/Smash Bros. Orchestra incident.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
Mario/25th should've been sent FREE to Nintendo Fun Club members who've gotten Platinum status 2 years in row, with a No Reprint Guarantee photo certificate by Reggie.  Yeah, this price is easily justified.

That way, even LESS people would be eligible to obtain it, and there'd be a greater proportion of whiners in the world. Just like the Nintendo Power/Smash Bros. Orchestra incident.

You know, you're being facetious, but I do think that would have been a good way to release this 25th Anniversary Edition.  Mario All-Stars as a Platinum Reward on a disc would be fine by me.  As it stands, the current 25th Anniversary Disc just screams that Nintendo didn't actually care, which not only looks bad on them as the creators of the franchise but looks bad on the industry as a whole.  It sends a bad message about the video game industry that even the company that resurrected the industry in the 80s doesn't seem to care about their history outside of a quick and easy cash-in.

Funny you should mention the Smash Bros. orchestral soundtrack, though.  My mom back in the day was nice enough to purchase that issue off of Ebay for me, which is how I got that soundtrack.  It would be awfully nice to have CDs like that in Club Nintendo for redemption as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »
I paid $30 for a fancy box, a cute booklet, and a compact disc that I'm expecting to not get reprinted.  Limited better stay that way.

Charging the full SNES launch price ($60-80?) would've been awesome in its own way.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
I expected this to have a slightly longer run. Prime Trilogy was out longer and that have a cool metal tin cover.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2011, 03:41:52 AM »
I expected this to have a slightly longer run. Prime Trilogy was out longer and that have a cool metal tin cover.

Yeah, no kidding. The metal tin cover was just freakin' awesome and how a collection title should be.
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »
The All-Stars case should have been the same.

Really they should give us a New Mario All-Stars down the line that has Mario 64, Sunshine and the two Galaxy games.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2011, 01:46:26 AM »
Some people have said they would have liked to see Nintendo remake the old games in the NSMBWii engine, but I'd much prefer they go the other way, and include a version of NSMBWii remade with Mario All-Stars style sprites. But really, we're doing nothing but hurting ourselves by pining over what this could have been.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2011, 02:23:03 AM »
Some people have said they would have liked to see Nintendo remake the old games in the NSMBWii engine, but I'd much prefer they go the other way, and include a version of NSMBWii remade with Mario All-Stars style sprites.
Why can't we have both? Just add a 4-player option to the games as they are, and it'd be golden. I mean, Super Mario Brothers 2 has four characters in it already, it's just begging for multiplayer.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
Some people have said they would have liked to see Nintendo remake the old games in the NSMBWii engine, but I'd much prefer they go the other way, and include a version of NSMBWii remade with Mario All-Stars style sprites.

This would be the greatest thing in the world.  Throw in the DS NSMB, too, while we're dreaming.

Why can't we have both? Just add a 4-player option to the games as they are, and it'd be golden. I mean, Super Mario Brothers 2 has four characters in it already, it's just begging for multiplayer.

It wouldn't work too well since those games were not designed to have 4 players running around them at the same time.  But then I would cheekily argue that NSMB Wii wasn't designed for that either.  ;D

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2011, 06:01:29 PM »
You might be surprised. I've played multiplayer in levels from the original Super Mario Brothers recreated in New Super Mario Brothers Wii, and they work surprisingly well.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2011, 11:03:17 PM »
Pirate!  Hacker!

Sound the alarm!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
Looks like the game is getting another run after all:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10917925&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-1BcoV4xOFxqFS6yJ5tJqXw

I'm still hoping that the packaging is at least slightly different, so there's something to differentiate the original run from the later ones.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
But then I'd have to buy another one. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
The local independent game store, which is usually extremely good about pricing their games, is selling Wii Super Mario All-Stars for $80. This whole craze is completely out of hand.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »
I wish they'd release this for DS. I'd definitely buy it for that, as opposed to my total lack of interest in the Wii version.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »
Maybe this one will just be the game without all the extra bonus stuff? I don't care about the extras but at the price they are charging for a rom dump it probably would be fair to keep the extras at the same price.

~

So Last night I saw a cheap SNES copy of  Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World on eBay and snagged that for $20.

I figured screw waiting around for a copy of the Wii version that may or may not materialize.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 05:43:40 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection