Author Topic: Questions for the NWR Japan crew  (Read 89537 times)

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Questions for the NWR Japan crew
« on: June 04, 2010, 02:29:02 AM »
Anyone interested in sending questions to the NWR Japan team may do so here. Either myself, Matt Walker, Danny Bivens or Minoru Yamaizumi will try our best to answer them.

Anything about Japan is welcomed, although games related would be preferred of course!

Edit: We'll answer them in the order they were asked, also we'd prefer questions with topics that are "safe for work" if you please!

Edit 2: Updated with the full Japan crew.  :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:07:10 PM by famicomplicated »
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for the NWR Japan crew
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:49:33 AM »
Is it true that Godzilla wears a Roman Centurion's helmet?

What do people use the PSPs for?

Are their Japanese equivalents of sites like NWR, Kotaku, GoNintendo?

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:03:52 AM »
Is it true that Godzilla wears a Roman Centurion's helmet?

What do people use the PSPs for?

1- I've never heard of anything like that. Do you mean design influences?
2- ADHOC Monster Hunter Portable 2nd parties, usually among High School lads. (portable 3rd is one of the most highly anticipated games for the PSP)
3- That's 3 different questions right there!
An NWR might be something like http://www.inside-games.jp/category/nintendo/
Did you also know GameSpot has a Japan site? http://japan.gamespot.com/
As for blog-like sites, there are of course hundreds of those too.
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »
Does the term "jailbait" or an equivalent exist in Japan?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:24:31 AM »
Are there enough people who speak English that someone who doesn't understand a word of Japanese would be able to get to someplace like Super Potato and get games there (or similar places)?

What do most Japanese people feel about Japan's silly ban on showing male or female genitals (requiring them to be blurred)?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
I've often wondered how the attitudes of many Japanese gamers compared to gamers in the west.  Is there anything equivalent to all of this gamer (I refuse to use the h-word) snobbery towards the Wii or Nintendo in general?  (e.g.  "the Wii is a kiddie console.")  Is the perception of Nintendo different at all?

I know that by some measures/estimates here, the perception is that Super Mario Galaxy underperformed in Japan.   NMSB, of course, sold much better.   Since Nintendo has tried to make greater efforts to tie the gameplay in Galaxy to NMSB with the opening 2D level, as well as including the instructional DVD video, is Galaxy 2 faring any better in the market?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:45:29 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I know that by some measures/estimates here, the perception is that Super Mario Galaxy underperformed in Japan.   NMSB, of course, sold much better.   Since Nintendo has tried to make greater efforts to tie the gameplay in Galaxy to NMSB with the opening 2D level, as well as including the instructional DVD video, is Galaxy 2 faring any better in the market?

I can answer part of that question.
SMG2's 1st week has outsold SMG's 1st week.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 11:36:34 AM »
I see in a lot of Japanese games, particularly RPGs, a tendency towards an emphasis on game elements that are simply not fun and never have been, such as grinding (1/128 drop rates, anyone?); fetch quests; and other similar time-wasting tasks.  Is this developer laziness or simply part of the Japanese gaming culture (much as they enjoy Dragon Quest with its glacial evolution)?  I find it hard to believe that a country so thoroughly dominated by Blue Ocean gaming also enjoys tedium so much.

Similarly, how do the Japanese tend to view things like achievements?  I've noticed in many Japanese games that their achievements tend to feel tacked on and arbitrary, and tend to lean towards grinding-type tasks.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:06:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »
What's your favorite yaoi?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »

I can answer part of that question.
SMG2's 1st week has outsold SMG's 1st week.

Given the massive difference in how many Wiis had been sold in Japan in 2007 versus now, it would be an incredible disappointment if it hadn't.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
Does the term "jailbait" or an equivalent exist in Japan?

Heh, I was almost going to not dignify that with an answer, but then it got me wondering, so I looked it up!

The answer is "yes", there is a word: 承諾年齢未満の子ども (SHOUDAKU-NEN-REI-MIMAN-NO-KODOMO)

Man, didn't take this thread long to go downhill did it!!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
There's a direct equivalent of Kotaku.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
Are there enough people who speak English that someone who doesn't understand a word of Japanese would be able to get to someplace like Super Potato and get games there (or similar places)?

What do most Japanese people feel about Japan's silly ban on showing male or female genitals (requiring them to be blurred)?

I managed to get to Akihabara and find scores of games shops (including Super Potato) approximately 10 days after I landed in Japan. The only Japanese I knew then was "ichi, ni, san".
You just have to have an adventurous spirit in you and don't be afraid to get a little lost sometimes!

As for the second part of your question, not even gonna go there!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 08:11:16 PM »
"not even gonna go there!"

So you HAVE been there!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »

Man, didn't take this thread long to go downhill did it!!

You're lucky I wasn't your first reply and instead asked my question in the Funhouse (while mentioning this thread).

But I do have a question that you should be able to answer and it is game related.

There are games like Rapelay that have made the news around here lately (GS employee fired for comments about the game), so I was wondering if those type of games are really popular in Japan, are there lots of different types of those games and do you play them?

As for the second part of your question, not even gonna go there!

pssst..... he ripped off my question. and reworded it a little ;D

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
Are you considered tall by the native Japanese?

Or to put it another way, have you ever executed a Gaijin Smash in your travels?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
I've often wondered how the attitudes of many Japanese gamers compared to gamers in the west.  Is there anything equivalent to all of this gamer (I refuse to use the h-word) snobbery towards the Wii or Nintendo in general?  (e.g.  "the Wii is a kiddie console.")  Is the perception of Nintendo different at all?

I think the hardcore (sorry) / casual gamer stereotyping is less prominent in Japan.
Young kids love Pokemon and the DS, then when they reach early teens and go into Junior High School they upgrade to a PSP and Monster Hunter. High School and beyond they'd get a PS3. (this is of course all generalising)

The Wii has mixed things up a bit though (as it has everywhere else) as long-time ex-Nintendo fans who have grown up, might go for a PS3 AND a Wii, possibly thanks to the Virtual Console and retro-style games.
Only the super hardcore Otaku might go for a XBox 360 to complete their collection of consoles, but I'd say those guys are rare.

As for snobbery, I don't see it really, people are just happy in their own camps playing games they like, it stems from Japanese culture of doing your hobby with other people who like the same thing.
Sorry to give an image of everyone holding hands singing "We are the World" but it kinda is like that from my observations.

Your 2nd question was kindly answered already!
I really hope Galaxy 2 continues to show Japanese people 3D Mario games aren't scary and confusing and can be a lot of fun.
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 01:14:51 AM »
I see in a lot of Japanese games, particularly RPGs, a tendency towards an emphasis on game elements that are simply not fun and never have been, such as grinding (1/128 drop rates, anyone?); fetch quests; and other similar time-wasting tasks.  Is this developer laziness or simply part of the Japanese gaming culture (much as they enjoy Dragon Quest with its glacial evolution)?  I find it hard to believe that a country so thoroughly dominated by Blue Ocean gaming also enjoys tedium so much.

Similarly, how do the Japanese tend to view things like achievements?  I've noticed in many Japanese games that their achievements tend to feel tacked on and arbitrary, and tend to lean towards grinding-type tasks.

That's a good observation and can be answered by looking at the Japanese cultural belief of "perfecting ones art" through constant repetition and practice.
Samurai's would spend days riding their horses shooting arrows at wicker targets till they could hit it every time. (OoT?) Same for Karate masters who repeat the same basic moves ad-nasuem. (Wax on, wax off..)
This mentality still exists today, people love "collecting everything" or "levelling everything up", even if it means repeating the same monotonous tasks thousands of times, the reason being they will have perfected their character and be the best they can be.
If you have a level 100 Celebi or DQ character, people will know how much effort has gone into that and can bow to your awesomeness.

Of course, in my opinion I think there are ways of doing that without boring the player to tears, but at least I (kinda) understand why those game-play elements exist in certain Jpse games.

Hope that makes sense!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 01:27:16 AM »

But I do have a question that you should be able to answer and it is game related.

There are games like Rapelay that have made the news around here lately (GS employee fired for comments about the game), so I was wondering if those type of games are really popular in Japan, are there lots of different types of those games and do you play them?

I didn't know Rapeplay existed until it appeared in the Western press.

I was aware of dating games etc, but as far as I can tell they are relatively innocent, more akin to getting your first kiss from a girl than anything else.
These games exist for the lonely/weirdo Otaku market, I have no idea how widely popular they are, but you don't see them in the Media Create charts.
"Love Plus" on the DS being a recent exception to that rule.
I've seen quite a lot in the PSP section of game stores, possibly because the late-teen market is most prominent there. Who knows.

To answer the last part of your question, "hell no".
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 01:35:55 AM »
Are you considered tall by the native Japanese?

Or to put it another way, have you ever executed a Gaijin Smash in your travels?

I'm 181cm (about 6ft for the imperial dinosaurs) and I'm considered "TAKAI" (tall) by many.

It's not that no one is the same size as me here, when I'm on the train people all around me are of similar height, it's just the national height average is lower, so "average" Japanese people consider me tall.

Back in the UK, I'm more in the "average" height percentile, so I'm not considered tall, just average.

Also the female average height is even lower, so it really feels like every woman I meet is short!
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 01:48:04 AM »
sugoi na
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 02:19:35 AM »
Can you hold a special contest skewed towards me winning the big grand prize of a week long trip to Japan on the NWR dime?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
If you have a level 100 Celebi or DQ character, people will know how much effort has gone into that and can bow to your awesomeness.

Maybe that is why it seems like Japanese gamers on the GTS always ask for Level 100 Pokemon (eve if all you want is something common like a Starly).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »
Can you hold a special contest skewed towards me winning the big grand prize of a week long trip to Japan on the NWR dime?

Sure thing!
Tickets to enter the contest cost $5000 each. PayPal directly to me.
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »
i found this video on youtube

i really wanna hear what Iwata says when he's being native, and not what gets filtered, and fed to us through planning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8mYdB2Ggh8&feature=related

somebody translate it!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post