Author Topic: REVIEWS: Sonic and the Black Knight  (Read 10197 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Sonic and the Black Knight
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
there there...you made your point
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
I fell on the opposite side of this debate with my Mario Power Tennis review, but I still have to stick up for Neal in this case.  I've never played the game, but, for the sake of argument, I'm going to assume that this game can get better if the player learns the correct means of playing it, as Pro has pointed out.

Even if that is the case, if Neal couldn't arrive at that after substantial time with the game, that does point to a fundamental problem and should definitely be brought to peoples' attention.  As usual, people need to read and comprehend a review based on what they know about the reviewer.  Neal has been a gamer for a long time. He had a hard time getting substantial fun out of this game.

That said, reader's of the review would also do good to read this talkback thread as Pro states his opinions too and his perspective is also valid.

There is no way Neal should have to amend what he's done though and suggesting that is kind of silly.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:05 PM »
Here's a interesting anecdote to throw in:

I have a friend who didn't really grow up with the NES-SNES Mario series.  This person tried out Super Mario World a while back when I got on Virtual Console, for like an hour.  This person knew how to run and jump, but not input BOTH simultaneously (the classic B-A thumb technique).

How far might this person have gotten?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »
*Sigh...

I yearn for the day I review a super hyped title and generate three pages worth of flaming, argument, discussions and disagreement.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 05:37:58 PM »
I'm with you all the way.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
Even if that is the case, if Neal couldn't arrive at that after substantial time with the game, that does point to a fundamental problem and should definitely be brought to peoples' attention.  As usual, people need to read and comprehend a review based on what they know about the reviewer.  Neal has been a gamer for a long time. He had a hard time getting substantial fun out of this game.

Out of pure curiosity, did Neal purchase the game or was it a review copy?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 05:47:20 PM »
Pro has this odd obsession with defending games as great that are universally panned or at the very most considered average (Tales 2 for Wii and of course Sonic). Unless of course it is the Conduit, where he uses the media apprehension as a tool to back up his fear. ;)

I may rent this game but still it is hard for even me to get over the game getting horrendous scores everywhere.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
vudu - It was a review copy, but I signed up for the review because I was interested in the game. If you remember, I had favorable NYCC impressions. I was excited for this game. Not super excited, but excited nonetheless.

I played through almost all of the game (I got stuck on some of the final missions) and I didn't hate it; I just wasn't too impressed.

Yes, there is a "flow" to this game, but for me, I found the flow too hard to obtain and the sword controls not that enjoyable.

As far as comparing this Sonic Unleashed, I hated Sonic Unleashed. I at least enjoyed this game. From all the comments on here, you'd think I gave it a 3 or a 4.

I stand by my review of this game. I'm sorry if my opinion of this game doesn't meet up with your own. Maybe we just prefer different games.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"