Author Topic: PREVIEWS: Takt of Magic  (Read 2630 times)

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
PREVIEWS: Takt of Magic
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:07:22 AM »
Taito and Nintendo are cooking up a real-time RPG exclusive to the Wii with a decent control system and possible online play.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/previewArt.cfm?artid=18235

Takt of Magic is a Wii exclusive action RPG developed by Taito in collaboration with Nintendo. That information alone seems to be enough to get people interested in this title, and with good reason.    

The game uses a real-time battle and exploration system. For example, players can use magic to affect the environment, solve puzzles, and kill enemies while walking around the overworld.    

During battles, players must cast spells, lay traps, and avoid danger by using the Wii Remote pointer. Managing all the characters' actions at the same time seems to be very streamlined and simple to perform with a system of simple points and clicks.    

There will apparently be 100 magic spells in the game; however, the only ones currently known are ones based around the fire, water, earth and wind elements.  With the press of a button, an on overlay appears on the screen with the main character's arms brandishing a magic staff, which moves in real-time with the pointer.    

Simple shapes are then drawn on the screen which will be recognised and instantly turned into spells for the player to use. Examples shown so far were a zigzag line, which created a wall of earth to shield from arrows shooting across a path, and a circular shape that produced wind and put out a burning house. Others include shooting fireballs with downward strikes to attack, and a water spell to heal the group.    

The status of the hero characters will be shown by smiley or frowning faces above their heads, so players can easily see who is in need of healing.   Up to four teammates can be selected to fight alongside you. Final details about multiplayer are not known at this point, but a Nintendo Wi-Fi logo can be clearly seen on the official website. We can all hope that this will turn out to be online cooperative play.    

Takt of Magic will be released on May 21 in Japan. There is currently no word yet on a release in any other region.

I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: PREVIEWS: Takt of Magic
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
This is sounding interesting though also too difficult for me. I'll be watching this game to see how it turns out (and if it's even released in North America).

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:23:06 PM »
want.

speaking of Nintendo and RPG's, didn't they buy the Xenosaga company like two years ago?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
want.

speaking of Nintendo and RPG's, didn't they buy the Xenosaga company like two years ago?

Yep, there the ones that made "Disaster" and look how warm the overall reception is...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
sounds like Lost Magic for the DS but instead it's on the Wii with the pointer.  In Lost magic you'd draw shapes on the screen to cast certain magic spells, and it was also a Real Time RPG.

THE JACKEL
Original series are the greatest, ie. the ones that started on NES:<BR>Metroid, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Mario, Zelda...and more!!!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:18:39 AM »
Yeah but unlike Lost Magic it doesn't seem to have ditched the exploration aspect that is one of the strengths of the RPG genre.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »
want.

Yep, there the ones that made "Disaster" and look how warm the overall reception is...

Nintendo had Monolith make Disaster to prevent them from working on PS3/360 RPGs.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:40:07 AM »
Disaster is so core if you hit it too hard it goes supercritical.