Author Topic: Accidental Racism  (Read 28664 times)

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
Re: Accidental Racism
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2009, 09:10:39 AM »
I think I can clear up the problem here.  This entire debate rests on the fact that words have meaning.

Let's look at the meaning of "racism"

1.    a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2.    a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.    hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Can anyone tell me how someone abbreviating "Japanese" as "Jap" is, in any way, shape, or form one of those three things?  Is one race superior because another race calls the second race by an abbreviation?

I suppose "Jap" by itself doesn't propagate any of those things. But, there are other community*-held beliefs that can go along with it that do, and it's those communities that could make "Jap" a symbol for their derogatory beliefs. The potential is there for any other word, too. I would think that being mindful of the word's history and responsible for its use when/if you use it is all you really need to do.

*I'm not specifying any community other than those with derogatory beliefs about the Japanese, or that anyone on these boards is a part of such a community.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »
Persons who obsess with diversity only promote more group thinking, they perpetuate racism.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »
In response to Tuxedo Bond:

Well regardless of cultural subjectivity, the word IS a slur to some people somewhere. I'm not sure where you hail from, but in the melting pot of America, chances are those people exist here somewhere. So as a matter of course, I will avoid using the word to avoid offending someone who I didn't intend to offend. The effort is minimal, and the loss to my vocabulary more so.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
I think I can clear up the problem here.  This entire debate rests on the fact that words have meaning.

Let's look at the meaning of "racism"

1.    a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2.    a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.    hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Can anyone tell me how someone abbreviating "Japanese" as "Jap" is, in any way, shape, or form one of those three things?  Is one race superior because another race calls the second race by an abbreviation?
If you want to read about the origins of the ethnic slur
The term was used in WW2 era when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and when Japanese-Americans were moved to concentration camps , due to fears of Japanese loyalists living in America to spy on America. So what really fueled "Jap" to be a racial slur is how it was used in WW2 as a derogatory term.  Some countries like USA,Canada and UK "Jap" is considered derogatory while in some Asian countries the term is used freely, probably because it never was used as a racist term in those countries to begin with. 
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
That doesn't really help.

That article explains how, 60 years after "Jap" was used in London, some people started using it in a derogatory way.

Likewise, people have been using the word "white" to describe individuals for years.  It's not racist.  But if a group of non-white individuals from a mostly non-white community went and picked on a white individual calling him "white boy" in a snide manner - then THEY are being racist.  But that suddenly doesn't make every single other use of the word "white" into a racist slur.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2009, 01:47:48 PM »
That doesn't really help.

That article explains how, 60 years after "Jap" was used in London, some people started using it in a derogatory way.

Likewise, people have been using the word "white" to describe individuals for years.  It's not racist.  But if a group of non-white individuals from a mostly non-white community went and picked on a white individual calling him "white boy" in a snide manner - then THEY are being racist.  But that suddenly doesn't make every single other use of the word "white" into a racist slur.

I guess it's vague on the British reasoning why it's a vulgar term there but it's easily apparent why it's vulgar in North America.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »
Because some people 50 years ago used it in a derogatory manner?  And even that, they didn't use "Jap", per-say, in a derogatory way - just that all Japanese people were undesirable...

So, that brings up the question - if every anti-Japanese poster, slogan and phrase had read "Japanese" instead of "Jap", would PC White Guys be upset over the word "Japanese" today?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2009, 07:41:10 AM »
It's possible, just like any word has the potential to take on derogatory meanings.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I don't believe the intent of this original blog post was to say, "Never use the word 'Jap' because it's evil and racist." It was simply trying to explain that the word has a history of derogatory use and that for some, those old connotations still carry some weight. The point is that we all should be mindful of and responsible for the words we use. Your choice of words is still up to you.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
It's possible, just like any word has the potential to take on derogatory meanings.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I don't believe the intent of this original blog post was to say, "Never use the word 'Jap' because it's evil and racist." It was simply trying to explain that the word has a history of derogatory use and that for some, those old connotations still carry some weight. The point is that we all should be mindful of and responsible for the words we use. Your choice of words is still up to you.

It was quite clear in his first post he did intend and wished to eliminate the word "Jap". He did believe it was evil and racist. His second follow up post showed his disgust to the fact some of us had the audacity to defend the use of the word in a normal manner. He made his post with a clear agenda. While I approve in his goal to reduce racism, I do not approve of his method nor tone after the fact.

To be clear, I am not insulted nor annoyed by his posts. However I refuse to jump just because someone said so. Especially when it's done satisfy one's own guilt complex.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
My bad. Other than that, I still stick to what I posted above.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg