Author Topic: Sega Unveils Virtua Tennis 2009  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Sega Unveils Virtua Tennis 2009
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:12:01 PM »
The acclaimed Virtua Tennis series debuts on Wii with numerous tennis stars, over 40 court environments, and online play.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17763

Sega recently announced the development of Virtua Tennis 2009 for Wii. Not only will this be the first Virtua Tennis game for a Nintendo home console, but it also has the distinction of being the first tennis game on Wii with online play. Players will also be able to enjoy a single player mode that includes the series' signature Court games, which are a variety of sometimes silly - but fun - tennis mini-games.    

Just like the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions, the game will have tennis greats such as Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer, and many others. In addition, the game is slated to include five new Court games along with many classic ones from earlier titles. Virtua Tennis 2009 will also feature over forty different court variants and a World Tour Mode.    

The developer of the game has yet to be announced, but it’s highly possible that it is British studio Sumo Digital who created the Xbox 360 port of Virtua Tennis 3 and all versions of Sega Superstars Tennis. Interestingly, Sumo Digital revealed in an interview with Kikizo that Sega Superstars Tennis was originally envisioned as a Virtua Tennis game for Wii.    

Virtua Tennis 2009 will hit stores shelves this May.    

SEGA'S NUMBER ONE TENNIS GAME SMASHES ON TO Wii    

Virtua Tennis™ 2009 is confirmed for Wii release.

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (February 13th 2009) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced that the Virtua Tennis™ series will, for the very first time, be released on the Wii™ system and will hit stores in May 2009.        

Wii owners will finally be able to take to the courts in the fan's number one tennis game, boasting all the features and arcade action that has made Virtua Tennis the most critically acclaimed and best selling tennis series available.  Virtua Tennis 2009 for Wii includes the same impressive player roster as Virtua Tennis 2009 on other platforms, meaning top stars such as Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams will all be in the game, as well as players new to the series such as Andy Murray and Ana Ivanovic.  Over 40 vibrant court environments will be playable within single player, multiplayer and online modes giving Virtua Tennis 2009 an impressive online and offline depth for a Wii title.      

"The Virtua Tennis series is perfect for the Wii platform," said Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc., "SEGA is excited to be able to bring this uniquely interactive experience to Wii. The multiplayer Court Games in particular will be a feature that family and friends can enjoy together."    

The list of Court Games has also been updated for Virtua Tennis 2009, meaning the return of old Virtua Tennis favorites, some revamped classics, and five new games. Virtua Tennis 2009 for the Wii will also include the official Davis Cup® license and the World Tour Mode, which will allow Wii owners to experience Virtua Tennis online.      

In addition to the Wii version, Virtua Tennis 2009 is due for release on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the PC in May 2009.  Further information relating to the content of the game will be available over the coming months from the official website of the game – www.virtuatennis2009.com.

Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Unveils Virtua Tennis 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:12:09 AM »
Sega Superstars Tennis was pretty solid, so I might have to check this out.
Especially if the Wii Play Control Mario Power Tennis is as bad as I've heard.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »
EA's making a tennis game that's built from the ground up for the Wii and designed around MotionPlus, why would I want this instead?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »
Because the Dreamcast Virtua Tennis games were amazingly fun. I don't know much about EA's upcoming tennis offering, but if Virtua Tennis 2k9 keeps the awesome, arcadey feel of the Dreamcast originals and has super-solid controls (Wiimote+nunchuck and traditional?), I'll be all over it.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
I have Virtua Tennis 3 for the 360 and, while I like it, I don't like it nearly as much as I liked Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast, so I don't expect this one to be as good as the Dreamcast one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like SEGA's post-DC tennis games haven't been at the same level of quality / fun. Since I haven't played those later games, I can't help but remain optimistic about this one until proven otherwise.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »
With the re-release of Mario Power Tennis in March and EA's own tennis game likely being released later in the year, this game may not stand a chance.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »
Sega Sports Tennis 2k2 was by far one of the best games for the Dreamcast, period. I really hope this can manage to combine that with some Wii controls that are actually fun... unlike Wii Sports.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »
EA's making a tennis game that's built from the ground up for the Wii and designed around MotionPlus, why would I want this instead?

BINGO !!

SEGA has to make this game with wiimotionplus or else they are wasting their time. Either way competition like this should be good, i hope the crappy port of mario tennis won't outsell either one of them.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:26:36 AM »
I LOVE tennis games on Wii. Can't wait for any of the new games!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »
The March issue of Nintendo Power confirms MotionPlus support for this game.

Hmmm... which company should I give my money to? The one that's serving Taco Salads, or the one that's serving Tacos?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright