Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3147462 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2006, 08:28:03 PM »
Necro Nesia will steal the hardcore Giant Insect crowd away from the 360.

PS2 and Gameboy numbers are insane. Sony should have just milked the PS2 for another year or three. Gameboy could last another year in the US at this rate.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »
As per the GameBoy numbers - remember, both Toys R Us and Wal*Mart had those cheap-ass Game Boy Micros for $35-$40.  This would help account for why they were so large.

However, GameBoy Advanc e SPs are still selling quite well, despite my efforts to talk everyone into getting DSLites.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2006, 02:48:13 AM »
I think Blue Dragon may make a small difference in North America.  It's obviously designed to appeal to the traditional Japanese RPG set, and Rare is finally starting to offer some less "mature" titles for the system too.

I'm not going to predict any big changes for Microsoft, but with PS3 charging way more for similar gaming capabilities and PS2 languishing, games like these might attract a few Sony fans to the 360 next year.  As someone who doesn't fit Microsoft's target demographic at all, I'm already finding Xbox 360 a little more interesting than Xbox, and I'm a lot more interested in it than PS3.  (I'd still buy a PS2 before either of these systems, though).

Edit: And let's not forget the post-launch drought effect.  Sony's lineup is going to continue looking like poo for months and Nintendo's looks weak too (though third parties have yet to announce games for next year).  360, meanwhile, should have a good amount of software all the way through next year.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2006, 06:32:53 AM »
I think the GameCube in the US proved that the occasional genre game isn't enough to attract a new crowd. This applying to Blue Dragon in Japan.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2006, 08:06:47 AM »
From the information and posts in this neogaf NPD thread I'm thinking our best guesses for Wii Software sales are the following:

Zelda: TP ......................... ~412k (NPD sourced)
Red Steel ......................... ~107k (unknown source)
Super Monkey Ball .............. 50k < ~ x < 107k (guess) (let's assume 70k for no reason whatsoever) (confirmed third though by Gamespot)
Rayman: RR .................... ~ 50k (guess)
CoD 3 ............................. ~ 48k (NPD sourced)
Madden '07 ..................... ~ 45k (unknown source)

Total Guesses: ................ ~ 732k (VERY INACCURATE BY NOW)

Using NPD's tie-ratio of 2.1 and NPD's hardware numbers of 476k for the USA......

Total Wii Software Guess: ~  999.6k (VERY INACCURATE BY NOW)

Sales left for the Wii's other launch titles, including Trauma Center, DBZ BT2, Excite Truck, TH: DJ, and others:
......................................... ~ 267.6k (EXTREMELY INACCURATE BY NOW)

Anyone else gathered enough information to guess or seen educated guesses from others?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  

edit: applied some more guesses and data from IGN.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
RE:Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2006, 09:10:15 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

However, GameBoy Advanc e SPs are still selling quite well, despite my efforts to talk everyone into getting DSLites.
Well, if Jimmy and Bobby want to play multiplayer GBA games together, they can't use a DS. Also, money speaks... $50 less is a big difference to the parents if even if their kids only want to play single player GBA games. Since if they want DS games eventually, or badly enough, they can just work for one doing their paper routes, mow lawns, or just be good kids and get straight A's.

If they want a GBA I wouldn't try to push a DS on them. A GBA sale does not mean a lost DS sale, just a delayed one, and with nearly 1 million DS sales in November you don't have to worry about the DS not selling well.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2006, 04:43:46 PM »
IGN seems positive on the Wii's software performance:

Sales of Wii software were quite strong, despite being released in the latter half of the month.
Sales of third-party games on the Wii were surprisingly solid for the month, which will hopefully bode well for the future of third-party support on the console.

And their list of the top 10 Wii titles in terms of sales:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  2. Red Steel
  3. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
  4. Rayman Raving Rabbids
  5. Call of Duty 3
  6. Madden NFL 07
  7. Trauma Center Second Opinion
  8. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
  9. Excite Truck
 10. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2006, 05:59:20 PM »
Kind of dissapointing to see ExciteTruck at the bottom, I would have thought it was going to do better.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2006, 05:15:41 AM »
It's because everyone wanted Zelda and Red Steel first.  I see Excite Truck selling better in December and beyond.  Or it just might be too simplistic for people to think it's worth $50.  Maybe at $30 people could justify buying it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2006, 11:33:09 AM »
Because Americans just don't like racing even when it's trucks! I'm very glad Rayman did well.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2006, 12:03:27 PM »
I bought Zelda & Rayman, but I still don't have a Wii

They should have an Older Gamers Sales Day or something, for those of us that have time/desire to wait out in the could for 6-8 hours b4 a store opens just to make a purchase.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »
I bought Zelda and Rayman with my Wii.  I decided those be the games.  I'm sort of surprised Rayman didn't beat Super Monkey Ball.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2006, 06:08:42 PM »
Both of the games I have are low on that list. I bought Trauma Center and DBZ BT2. I am very plased with both games ^^ Monkey Ball, Elebits, and Pangya are next on my list... Gotta support those 3rd parties!
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
I was also thinking about picking up Red Steel and DBZ, but was having second thoughts about DBZ. Does it really hold it weight as a fighter & do the fighting mechanics work or are they kinda awkward like some of the previous ones?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2006, 07:23:20 PM »
I haven't played it but from what I've heard the fighting engine is pretty mediocre.  But if you and your friends are DBZ fans it's supposed to be pretty fun for parties.  So the only reason I see for anyone to buy it would be if they're a huge DBZ fan, and even then, wait until the price drops.  

Games like this aren't worth buying at full price unless they actually have a good fighting engine to go with it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »
I did not enjoy the Budokai games so much, but Sparking Neo (or BT2 in US) is great fun. The fighting engine feels very fresh and pretty deep to me (10x better than the previous games). Seeing the screenshots, I wasn't expecting much but man was I sure in for a surprise! The Wiimote setup works wonders with the game (you can use a classic or GCN controller, but after using the Wiimote the old method feels very dated). I play fighting games alot so this was a very nice change of pace for me (a breath of fresh air). I'd say this is the best DBZ fighting game since Hyer Dimension on the SNES.

It took me some time getting used to it, but doing the motions of the Kamehameha or Genki Dama and seeing the super connect on screen is very fun!

This was also the first time I had to go into a training mode and learn how to play before being able to defeat the beginning computer players. Everything about this game feels different from what I have become accustomed to in conventional 2D and even 3D fighters. I'm enjoying it, and I feel many others would too, but I think the anime franchise scares many away because of the general belief that all movie/anime franchise games are poorly designed (which in most cases is probably true, but thats not the case with DBZ:BT2 imo).
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2006, 02:19:30 AM »
Is it crazy or just too early to tell...

According to the numbers provided by the NexGenWars.com site, Wii already has 12.9% of the market.  In less than 1/10th of the time that the 360 has been out.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2006, 05:51:55 AM »
Isn't that what some analysts were predicting its lifetime share to be?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2006, 02:52:53 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I was also thinking about picking up Red Steel and DBZ, but was having second thoughts about DBZ. Does it really hold it weight as a fighter & do the fighting mechanics work or are they kinda awkward like some of the previous ones?

After reading several reviews I decided to pick DBZ up and I'm not disappointed. The game is fun and it as the best single player experience in a fighting game that I can recall. The whole DBZ and blech...DBGT storyline is pretty much crammed into the single player mode. The game even has the story for a lot of the movies in it as well. Plus there are a few alternate scenarios. They don't go real in depth with those but they are a nice touch. I do wish they would have called Hercule by his REAL name though. If they didn't want to call him Mr. Satan. The could have at least gave his named the scramble treatment like Videl (Devil). I rather him be called Mr. Natas, Mr. Sanat or Mr. Tanas etc. than Hercule....bah. I also did the attribute customization and the fighting system captures the feel of the series. The standard controls are easier to grasp but the Wii-mote controls are Much more enjoyable.

"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2006, 03:04:46 AM »
I might rent this one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2006, 03:23:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
(lots of DBZ: BT2 stuff)
does the game have Japanese VO?
if it does... it's a contender for "game to buy alongisde the Wii"...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2006, 04:00:39 AM »
I haven't checked the sound options personally but, I read in the reviews of the game that did does have both the English and Japanese voice actors. I personally can't stand Goku or Gohan's Japanese Voice Acting. Its obvious that they are voiced by women. I don't mind so much for Gohan's younger incarnations but he shouldn't be sounding like Mickey Mouse as a senior in H.S. heh
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2006, 05:31:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala
does the game have Japanese VO?

I can confirm it does!! w00t!
I remember asking some guy at the Nintendo World Store in NYC and he was like "no, I think it only includes the VA". Dude, sorry but you lose!

~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2006, 06:12:40 AM »
DBZ:BT2 was the first game I got and it has been all I need. I got red steel but havent put much time into due ot BDZ. ITS PERFECT.  I am a HUGE fighting game fan and I ws SO worried this genre would turnout lame on Wii but I am so convinced now that fighting games will be MORE fun on Wii than even arcades.

Like has been mentioned you get the ENTIRE story, and a pretty good control sceme. It plays very well. My only complaint is when using Classic Controller or GC controller the bottons are backwards, tehy went iwth the regular controll set up for that and the screan will say Press A but in stead you press Y.

Other than that the game is cool. You get plenty of control options but the Wii remtoe and Nunchuk are definatley the way to go.

My next game to get for Wii is goignt o be Rampage and then either COD3 or Splinter Cell.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2006, 12:39:26 PM »
So DBZ:BT2 does contain the original Japanese voice work.  Well this game is a definate buy for me now, of course I'm still going to wait for a price drop.

I personally can't stand Goku or Gohan's Japanese Voice Acting. Its obvious that they are voiced by women.

I think it depends on what was the first voice people heard Goku with.  I notice alot of people who first saw DBZ through the dub where Goku had a manly voice can't stand his original Japanese voice.  But for people like me who heard Goku's original voice before ever seeing the dub, Masako Nozawa IS Goku.  She's done his voice from the very begining back when Dragon Ball first air back in 1986 and has matched Goku and his personality perfectly.  

To listen to Goku without her voice to me would be like listening to Homer without Dan Castellaneta voicing him, it just doesn't sound right.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai