Author Topic: The Major League Baseball Thread: Did SI Swipe The 2025 Sports Almanac?  (Read 56434 times)

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Major League Baseball Thread: Should've Put Money On The Cubbies
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
When you adjust the odds for the relative sizes of the markets and fan bases (which will artificially deflate the Sox/Cubs lines) Cleveland is probably a little closer naturally.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2017, 12:14:40 AM »
Watching this Puerto Rico vs Dominican Republic WBC game is great (and not just because I have a horse in the race with my beloved home of PR), Both teams are having fun, both are just jawing and yapping it up which is so good because it means so much to every player out there. I feel like in a regular season MLB game all the swagger and emotion being shown would have earned at least 5 beanballs and 3 bench clearing scuffles.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2017, 01:02:21 AM »
You get to enjoy Francisco Lindor, which is nice.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:15 AM »
There's a huge Lindor billboard that I see every day on my commute to work. Dude is already a big deal here. Honestly both lineups are stacked and this was a great game for mid-March baseball. Yadier Molina lit up and Javy Baez celebrated a no-look tag out before he even caught the ball. It was great.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/841866107745107968
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
The Dominican Republic is the team that gets me to tune into the WBC. Unfortunately, I needed to watch online last night and my cable company doesn't have a streaming deal with MLBtv. I pay for the MLB package monthly, so it hasn't kicked in yet. The Colombia game on Sunday was great too. There had been a lot of good games this year.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:39 AM »
And the final is set. USA vs. Puerto Rico. Andrew Miller vs. Francisco Lindor. It's been a hell of a tournament, hopefully we get a final to match.

J.P. Corbran

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2017, 12:47:23 PM »
Glad to see Severino and Judge announced respectively as the Yanks 4th starter and opening-day-right-fielder. Severino looks like he will at least pan out as a relief pitcher, but I'm holding out hope he bounces back as a starter after a difficult second year.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »
Man, this Indians team is fun to watch. Down 2 going into the 9th on the road, with the bottom of the order against a closer that got 38 saves last season? No problem. 5 runs later, including a Francisco Lindor grand slam, they cruise to victory. This team hits like the stacked lineups of the Indians teams from the mid 90s, but has the high end pitching those teams desperately lacked. It's going to be a fun year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2017, 12:22:58 AM »
My Cleveland Indians have now won 15 in a row, the longest streak in franchise history and longest by anyone in baseball since 2002. A local Cleveland window company ran a promotion earlier in the year where if you bought windows from them in July and the Indians went on a 15 game winning streak in August and September your windows were free, and so a bunch of people just got a total of $1.7 million because of tonight's win.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2017, 10:12:23 PM »
So, with USA out of the World Cup having lost to the powerhouse soccer team of Trinidad and Tobago, if the Indians lose tonight against the Yankees, should we be concerned about Insanolord and the nearest bridges by his current location?

It's bringing up a lot of mixed emotions for me. On the one hand, I'd probably become Community Manager but, on the other hand, Insanolord would be dead. And I just don't know which of those I should celebrate first or would make me happier. It's very confusing.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:15:22 PM by Link Link »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:34 PM »
Insanolord's reaction to that post:

My reaction to his reaction:

Everybody else on the forum's reaction:

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2017, 12:04:15 AM »
It's definitely been a really bad couple of days for me, but being a Browns fan for nearly three decades has prepared me for extreme sports disappointment, so it's going to take more than this to break me.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:46 AM »
Wowzers. I can't believe they actually did lose. Astros vs Yankees. Barf. Truthfully, I'd have rather seen Cleveland win. With Boston now out, I'm mainly rooting for the Cubs and Dodgers and am hoping the Cubs win so that one of those two teams will make it to the World Series. If both get knocked out then I'd have been fine with Cleveland winning. After that, I only care about who wins for trivia purposes like Jeopardy and such.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
Oh, and the Browns. Hoo boy. What a team that is! If you can watch them regularly and still root for them then this won't break you but there is a difference. With the Browns, they don't get a whole lot of expectations but on them besides the hope that maybe next season they'll actually be semi-decent. With the Indians, they were so close to winning it all last year and then they got even better this year but went down way to soon. Maybe they peaked too soon with their streak. Oakland A's never made it to the World Series when they had their 20 game win streak.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2017, 12:42:14 AM »
You know who consistently sucks? the Mariners.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2017, 01:48:17 AM »
Tonight was one of the few times where I watched a playoff series as a largely neutral fan and yet was as pissed off with the outcome as I would be if my own team had lost.  The Indians and Astros were so awesome all year that I was looking forward to them squaring off in the ALCS.  Also both fanbases deserve a shot at the World Series so I would have been cool with either team winning.  But no, Cleveland has to go **** that all up and blow a 2-0 lead against the damn Yankees of all teams!  I think I can safely say that with the Yankees you're either a fan or you absolutely hate them.  There's no middle ground.  Most annoying of all is that they had a chance when they were only down 3-2 and then they had to bugger up the ninth inning.

Now I have this lingering dread: the Yankees are going to win the World Series aren't they?  After their "rebuild" of, what, missing the playoffs for one year?  Other teams suck for years to rebuild and these jerks just bounce back like a rebuild is a minor inconvenience.  Now I'm very much in anybody-but-the-Yankees mode and it's pretty much all the Cleveland Indians fault.  Yeah I know the Twins lost the WC game but I didn't expect them to do anything.  Cleveland had this in the bag.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:35 AM »
Well, if you look at as 2013, 2014 and 2016 with no playoffs and 2015 was a wildcard berth then it has been a bit longer of a retool/rebuild than just one year of no playoffs. They have not been that dominant for awhile and I can't say I've missed that since it allowed the Jays to finally get to the postseason. It's always sucked that the Jays have to be in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees which are two high prestige markets to attract talent and have a lot of money to bankroll that talent making it that much tougher for the Jays to crack through. It's been great to see the Jays spending money to retain and attract talent, for once, since it felt like they were always shedding all their good players to keep costs down. Not that it did them much good this year.

Anyways, it figures that the first year they miss the playoffs in 2013 is when they draft Aaron Judge who's turning out to be a really impressive talent. But I guess that time of missing the playoffs and getting better picks is now allowed those picks to start maturing and they've had time to shed contracts and players to rebuild. I do think there is some middle ground for the Yankees. If the Yankees were to win, it wouldn't bug me as much as in some years. I'd be happy with victories for the Red Sox, Cubs, Jays or Dodgers and they're all in the top ten of spending so it's pointless to complain about the Yankees and their spending.

Plus, the Yankees are kind of underdogs so it is a bit different compared to say the late 90's and early 2000s when they were dominant all season and then crushed weaker lineups in the playoffs on their way to various World Series matches. (It's why the 2004 Red Sox 0-3 series comeback was so, so sweet.) As mentioned on ESPN, "For starters, we have three 100-win teams for the first time since 2003 and just the sixth time in history. The collective win total of the 10 teams is the most since the second wild card was added in 2012, and that's despite the Twins barely finishing over .500." If the Yankees were to win, they'd have done so having to go through the Indians, Astros and a 50/50 chance of facing the Dodgers. If it is the Dodgers then they'd have to defeat all 100 win aka top three teams. That's quite a feat. I'd be impressed. Especially since they had to play a winner-take-all wildcard game just to start such a playoff push (even if it was the Twins).

Another thing about the Yankees is that they don't really have any players that bug me right now. Having not been in the post season much these past few years, I haven't really been following their roster much to care about most of the players on it and losing players like A-Rod and Jeter and a few others that always annoyed me has left me without much of a reason to root against the team. Right now, I'm kind of a fan of Judge. I wish he was on a different team but from the highlights and clips I see of him, he's done nothing to make me root against him. Plus, he's a guy they actually drafted and didn't just pick up with obscene money on the free market so the Yankees success with him feels like they've legitimately earned it a bit more compared to picking up talent that other teams developed but couldn't afford to pay for anymore. I suppose there is some weird psychology at play with my mind there to make one type of success better than another but that's my take on it.

Sure, it'd be kind of disappointing to see the Yankees add yet another World Title to their club but I would respect their ability to keeping winning. If the teams I rooted for in any sport could average a championship every 4 years, would you be upset at that prospect? Part of the reason for rooting against the Yankees is because I'd rather it was a team of my preference winning that much. So, that's why I think there can be some middle ground on the team. Of course, if they suddenly got dominant again or were eliminating the Red Sox or Jays from the post season, I could see some grudges against the franchise resurfacing but, at the moment, my relationship with the Yankees is in a bit of a thaw.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Their manager had his bags packed after game 2 for a multitude of boneheaded moves; if anyone can cause the Yankees to flame out it's Joe Girardi. (Realistically, Cleveland should've been out in four but for Girardi not calling for an appeal on a "hit by pitch" in game 2 that immediately led to a grand slam).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »
Man, Dodgers are dominating this postseason. They seem to be last year's Indians. Just hope they actually can win the World Series. I like to think of them in Billy Joel's words "Brooklyn's got a winning team" because when I think Dodgers I think of them as Brooklyn even though they've been the LA Dodgers longer than my lifetime multiplied by two. I guess it just comes from all the old movies I've watched of that timespan or stories set in that time but if I think Dodgers, I think Brooklyn.

And wouldn't you know it but Ian Sane just might get his wish and have their old-long time nemesis of their Brooklyn days, the New York Yankees, meet them in World Series as well. Dodgers and Yankees are the two teams to have faced off against each other the most in a World Series and they haven't done it since 1981. We may be in for Round 12 yet and I'd be cool with that as long provided the Dodgers win. But since I'll root for the Red Sox, the Dodgers, or the Jays, I think it's pretty clear I'm not really on the Yankees side.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »
Not the Yankees!  Woooo!!

I'm pretty neutral on the World Series.  I guess I would prefer Houston since they've never won but the Dodgers haven't won in 29 years so it isn't like the rich getting richer if they win it.  I just hope it's competitive and not a squash like the Dodgers series have been so far.

Either Clayton Kershaw or Justin Verlander is going to win a World Series for the first time.  That's pretty cool.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2017, 12:52:44 AM »
I'm actually disappointed the Yankees didn't make it to the World Series which might be the first time that's happened. However that's because I think Dodgers vs Yankees would have been an intriguing must watch match-up for the storylines and history. Dodgers vs Astros just doesn't have the same appeal even if it is for the World Series.

Kind of like how after the Red Sox came back from 0-3 against the Yankees. The World Series of Red Sox vs Rockies felt like an afterthought and was sort of anti-climatic even if it was the World Series on the line and the Red Sox still needed to win it to break the curse. Being that close to a Dodgers/Yankees final and not having it is now a bit of a letdown.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: The Major League Baseball Thread: Did SI Swipe The 2025 Sports Almanac?
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »
'04 was Red Sox/Cardinals, which was a letdown on both fronts after a classic NLCS and the ALCS.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: The Major League Baseball Thread: Did SI Swipe The 2025 Sports Almanac?
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2018, 03:41:46 AM »
We're now less than a week away from Opening Day and I'm starting to get really excited for baseball. My Indians again figure to be one of the best teams this year, with an incredible pitching staff anchored by reigning Cy Young winner Corey Kluber and two of the best young position players in the game right now in Francisco Lindor and Jose Ramirez.

The real question this year that will determine how far this team can go is what they'll get from their outfielders. Starters Michael Brantley, Bradley Zimmer, and Lonnie Chisenhall all have the potential to be really good, but serious questions remain, from Brantley's ability to stay healthy to whether Zimmer can hit more like he did early in his rookie season last year than he did down the stretch.

Luckily for them, the AL Central figures to be the weakest division in baseball this year, with the Tigers, Royals, and White Sox all good bets to lose 90 games and the Twins decent, but not a threat. The Tribe should end up winning the division by more than 10 games, and will be able to make adjustments along the way if need be.

J.P. Corbran