Author Topic: Episode 384: One for the Road  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 384: One for the Road
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »

This shorter episode focuses on the upcoming E3 Expo and our predictions of what may (won't) happen.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/37512/episode-384-one-for-the-road

Most of the RFN crew is traveling this weekend, leaving James to edit, so we recorded early and made it a one-segment quickie all about E3 2014. The annual pageant for video games is always an exciting time for Nintendo fans, as we often know very little of the year's remaining game releases until the show begins. We've been futilely predicting E3 announcements for years on Radio Free Nintendo, so why stop now? It turns into a robust discussion about the upcoming event and several recent topics and rumors that may factor into what Nintendo brings to E3 -- including Hyrule Warriors, Retro Studios, Miyamoto's secret project, and interactive figurines.

Next week is the perfect time to read some E3-related emails, so please send in your own to help make it even better! You can also check out Jonny's latest guest appearance on the excellent Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition by our friend and frequent guest, Michael Cole. This is also a good time of year to be listening to Jonny and other ex-RFN dudes over on the Box Office Poison podcast.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 384: One for the Road
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
Thanks for the E3 predictions. I know you guys hate doing them, but we enjoy listening to them.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
Anything that James hates is always entertaining for the rest of us, so please continue.

Offline Tripon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »
Any time of predictions are the best!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Calling it- Gamepad controls boss characters, or they can play "master hand mode" where they target with the Gamepad is where he attacks.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 10:29:27 PM »
Doesn't Next Level Games make the Mario Strikers games? I would really like to see an HD Strikers.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:34:53 PM »
Doesn't Next Level Games make the Mario Strikers games? I would really like to see an HD Strikers.

Yes, and Yes!
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
While i don't think that Metroid prediction is gonna come true and i don't really care, but i just want to note that saying Shiggy has nothing to do with Metroid is wrong.

Miyamoto is the sole reason for Prime Trilogy for even existing. The idea of making first person explorative platformer with occasional shooting was his pitch after he upended all tables, chairs and projects at Retro.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »
Great episode - I love predictions!  I wonder if Nintendo will show another HD remake.  I thought perhaps the Mario Galaxy games might get a re-release since there doesn't seem to be any other Mario games on the horizon for either the Wii U or 3DS.  I'd be happy with that or maybe an HD Kid Icarus Uprising.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »
NFC figurines: they're not for us until they start putting them in games made for us...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »
NFC figurines: they're not for us until they start putting them in games made for us...
Are you saying you want them in smash Bros? I got it you want them in X? Oh I see you want a Tingle figure to go with your copy of Zelda U

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »
No they aren't for us *period* and if Nintendo tries to force them on us with smash I will tie Satoru Iwata to a tree and repeatedly slap him until one of us is dead,

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:53 AM »
No they aren't for us *period* and if Nintendo tries to force them on us with smash I will tie Satoru Iwata to a tree and repeatedly slap him until one of us is dead,
Don't get all crazy. You still have know idea what their plan consists of. I'm hoping they use NFC characters to sell virtual console games. I'd love to buy Link at Walmart with all the days in it to install the original smash Bros on my Wii U. Then I get a game and a fun toy and Nintendo gets to keep retailers happy and market the virtual console

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 01:44:23 AM »
I'm hoping they use NFC characters to sell virtual console games. I'd love to buy Link at Walmart with all the days in it to install the original smash Bros on my Wii U. Then I get a game and a fun toy and Nintendo gets to keep retailers happy and market the virtual console
That's a great idea.
I also think they start to start ditch discs on shleves entirely and move to these kind of toys as a sort of download cards for all releases.
Their download cards already have extra functionality with AR photos. Why not go further?

It will certainly be more convenient to just apply figure to activate game rather than enter 20 digit codes or fiddling with QR codes.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 02:51:14 AM »
That will merely fuel Unclebob's "i must have everything" nature with Nintendo items. Not that that is a bad thing, by any stretch.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 06:41:40 AM »
With E3 coming up, are there any plans for a home team podcast? Hopefully featuring Jon, Greg and Gui! Particularly since episode 350, I like hearing Greg and Gui interact. Like a couple of old veterans comparing how they dodged bullets (Jon and MMO talk, James and anything Ubi Soft, Jonny "Strike that from the record, your Honor" Metts).

Meanwhile, Mr Diamond J is celebrating 40 years of being an OG on planet Earth. May your 40s be filled with good people, good times, good songs and a Stanley Cup with the San Jose Sharks' name on it. :)

Offline eggface123

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
Damn James you pissin Johnny off! Watch yo self MEEEEESTA JONES!!!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »
Under normal circumstances I would agree with Crimm and say Nintendo would want to not overshadow Hyrule Warriors with a "real" Zelda game, but with the situation Nintendo's in I don't think they have any option other than to play every card they've got, including Zelda.

Also, the fact that in all the Next Level Games postulating no one mentioned the perennial prediction of a Mario American Football title makes me think that's what they're doing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 11:23:24 AM »
The only problem with Mario American Football (and don't get me wrong cause I'd buy it without question) is would it sell in Europe and Japan? Would those people even want it?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
Gridiron football is actually quite popular among a certain segment of Japanese natives thanks to things like Eyeshield 21. The US influence helps.

Europe... maybe in Germany?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.