Author Topic: Biggest Gaming Regrets  (Read 16050 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Biggest Gaming Regrets
« on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:48 AM »
I think everyone here has probably been playing video games for a while, and has done a lot of things in that regard. Still, no matter how long you've been playing, I'll bet we all have something in gaming we regret. Whether it's something we missed out on, or something we did and wish we hadn't, I thought this would be an interesting discussion to bring up those things from our gaming pasts.

For me, it's how many things I've sold. There are plenty of games I've sold that I'm perfectly okay with, but when it comes to systems, I almost always regret the decision. I sold my Genesis and Dreamcast only to end up buying those systems again later on, and I still wish I hadn't sold my GameCube and Game Boy Player.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest Gaming Regrets
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 08:52:43 AM »
Earthbound.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:54:02 AM »
I traded in Dracula X and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on SNES as well as Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story on PSOne. All of those games are worth a **** ton more than what I traded them in for at GameStop. I'm mostly disappointed in trading Valkyrie Profile because out of those games, I actually ended up wanting to play it again.

I also traded in my N64 and GameCube (since Wii was backwards compatible) only to rebuy them. I don't know why I thought that was a good idea, but I haven't traded in hardware since.

While I've done much better in the past year or so, I often purchased games on release day at full price even though for the past decade, I rarely got around to playing through them in a timely manner. For example, Pandora's Tower is still factory sealed. It's like $20 now. I used a gift card on it, but still, that's wasteful.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:55:58 AM by Adrock »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »
About 4 years back now, my wife and I we're just recently married, and she lost her job due to the economy.  There was about a year-long gap between that job and her next one, and at the time, I didn't have a good enough job to cover our standard of living.  Because I was young & foolish, I didn't adjust our expenses accordingly, and instead sold-off things & racked-up debt to pay for activities.

Regretfully, I sold my Sega Genesis with 30+ games that I had since I was 8, a used Super Nintendo I bought in really nice condition with 10 games during high school, and a Gamecube I bought right before college, and played endless hours of Megaman & Smash Bros on. 

I technically have the money on-hand to repurchase these things, but I don't have any guarantee that they'll be in as good a condition as the ones I had.  That, and at this stage in my life (demanding career, wife, a 2 year old, and another one on the way), I just don't think I would have the time to play it all if I recouped them.  Maybe someday 4-5 years down the road when both my children are old enough to play & appreciate such things.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »
I regret not taking better care of my old games when I was a kid.  All the games still work but the boxes are all crushed and wrecked.

When I first started collecting old SNES games Mega Man X2 was available and I didn't get it.  My brothers gave me flack for that and, sure enough, it was gone the next time I was at the store.  It look 8 or 9 years before I saw it again though it cost me about twice as much.  I did however find it and X3 at the same time and that was pretty cool.

Around the same timeframe as the first X2 sighting I saw Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for $20 and I didn't get it.  This wasn't the Greatest Hits version either.  I chalk this up to being early in my working life where I finally had money to spend on games.  Every time I went to the store there would be like ten things worth buying and I had to prioritize.  I would pass on some gems because I was already spending money on something else and didn't want to drop 100 bucks every time I went to the store.  Sometimes that let me down but I still got EarthBound, Ogre Battle, Super Metroid with box & manual, and Star Fox Super Weekend during this timeframe so I mostly made the right choices.

A collectable store in my area had Chrono Trigger, cartridge only, for $100 about two years ago.  I figured that was too expensive but that store no longer has a game section so it's gone.  And SNES games have exploded in price in the last few years (a negative side effect of the VC introducing the classics to a new generation) so that is now a pretty reasonable price.  If it ever shows up at my usual used game store it probably will cost $100 so I should have just bought it then.  It's the most prominent missing piece in my SNES collection.

A store in my area once got a Vectrex in with about 8 games or so and were selling it all for $250.  I thought about getting it but didn't and now I kind of wish I did.  Now it was expensive and I'm not very interested in pre-crash games but it seems that was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I passed on.

Got a Superscope in box.  Left the box on the floor and the damn cat chewed up the corner of it.  ****!  I feel like such an idiot for leaving it where she could get at it, even though she's never wrecked anything else I've left around.

I bought NBA Hangtime for the SNES for 2 bucks thinking it would be the ultimate version of NBA Jam.  It's **** and is undoubtedly the worst SNES game I own.  It didn't even use the same engine and it reversed the pass and shoot buttons which totally fucked me up when I tried to play it.  The game is so bad that I paid only TWO DOLLARS for this thing and I feel ripped off!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
Buying a Wii U.

Ho ho ho.

How does he do it?

Gets me every time.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
About the only thing I regret now is selling of my old GBA games. The console I don't care about... but the games were small and could have easily been kept, and selling them brought back a pittance. Some are hard to replace now too.  Especially wish I had kept the GBA version of Final Fantasy VI.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
All the stuff I've gotten rid of - PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast (though I have 2 now, and I've probably gone through at least 5 all together), NES, SNES, N64.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
Swapping games with someone where I got Killer Instinct for Earthbound and having them skip town.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »
Buying a 3DS at launch and buying a Wii U at launch. Sure, the 3DS became a must-have system later on. Sure, the Wii U might become a must have system in the future. But was that worth waiting years to get enough games to make the purchase worth it? **** no.

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
In Chrono Trigger you had to do a certain event in order to unlock the New Game + option once you beat the game. I lazed out and just beat Lavos and skipped that part of the game because i didn't feel like battling a bunch of enemies. I sorta regret that now because I didn't experience any of the other endings.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 05:39:00 AM »
Pretty sure that "certain event" was beating the game...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 08:00:47 AM »
Actually my biggest single gaming regret is purchasing Superman 64 having never seen or played it before. It's even worse when you don't have the warnings going into it.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
WCW Mayhem. Oh wow, what a kick in the jumblies that game was. Going from WCW World Tour on the PS1 to WCW vs. nWo to WCW Revenge (both N64) to finally Mayhem... oh god. Just...just terrible.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »
Yeah Mayhem was horrible, so were Nitro and Thunder, and Backstage Assault. WrestleMania XIX for GameCube was garbage too, just because of Revenge mode.

Sorry to nitpick but it was WCW Vs. The World on PSX, it was WCW vs. NWO World Tour and Revenge for N64.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
Yeah Mayhem was horrible, so were Nitro and Thunder, and Backstage Assault. WrestleMania XIX for GameCube was garbage too, just because of Revenge mode.

Sorry to nitpick but it was WCW Vs. The World on PSX, it was WCW vs. NWO World Tour and Revenge for N64.
Ah, of course! Thanks for the correction. I knew "World" was in the title, though. Hah.

EDIT: And yeah, I remember playing Backstage Assault thinking they'd corrected the problems from Mayhem. NOPE. BA was like a glorious turd covered in chocolate - but even the chocolate was terrible. :/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 10:32:23 AM by Racht »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »
Seriously only EA would green light a wrestling game that has no wrestling ring in it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »
Not buying SideArms for the TG-16.

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »
Pretty sure that "certain event" was beating the game...

Which I did, but there was no New Game + option after beating it. I believe there's a certain way of unlocking it that I didn't do.

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
My biggest regret is being so much of a Nintendo fanboy that I refused to buy a Playstation or Playstation 2.  I stuck with my N64 and Gamecube only and I feel like I missed out on some of the best games ever made.
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
The only redeeming feature of WCW Backstage Assault is the ability to light Vince Russo on fire for his **** WCW booking.
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 10:37:39 PM »
To this day I'm still convinced that Vince McMahon paid Vince Russo a **** ton to go to WCW and burn it to the ground. There is no other explanation. His shoot promo on Hulk Hogan was epic though.

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 11:26:02 PM »
Lending first-party controllers (N64 and GCN) to 'friends.' It always ends with loose analog sticks or no controller at all.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »
No WILL POWER--keep buying games when I have an huge ass backlog that'll never be finished.  Very upset with an impulse buy which was Silent Hill: Book of Memories for the Vita.  Thinking I was buying an actually Silent Hill game and not an crappy diablo clone with silent hill name attached--urgh.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 11:51:02 PM »
Not buying any GC LAN adapters.  Could've easily made for some serious fun times down the road.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.