Author Topic: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail  (Read 24285 times)

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:05:15 AM »
Anybody tried the demo yet?  It was short by oh so sweet!  The graphics are at least as good as call of duty 4 and the controls are almost spot on.  The animation is top notch and really carries the presentation of the game.  The one thing that I didn't like was that when you are taking cover behind something, you can't see where your reticule will be aimed when you pop out.  For example:  you press O to take cover behind something like a stone tablet.  You can peek around the corners to see where the bad guys are.   When you press L1, Drake will step out from cover to shoot. Unfortunately, you can only approximate where your reticule will be when you leave cover because it doesn't show until you step out.  It isn't a huge deal.  Overall, this looks to be one of, if not the best game so far on PS3.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:23:35 PM by Pale »
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:15:59 AM »
Anything good about it besides visuals and animation?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:45:28 AM »
Well while I did play the demo I thought it was okay, but I was put off that all the combat mechanics are is just a cut and paste of the Gears of War mechanics from weapon switching,  (weapon 1 on Dpad left, Weapon 2 on Dpad right, explosives on Dpad down). Also the grenade reticle same as the Gears reticle except that you adjust the throwing distance via tilting the Sixaxis down and up. Even though Gears and Uncharted share the same health system down to the heart beat when your about to die I like Uncharted's better since instead of an annoying bloody cog logo blocking your view, the screen starts turning gray giving it a much more cinematic feel. The graphics and the scenery are nice and the shadowing is well done.  

While I do think Naughty Dog did a good job pretty much transplanting the Gears of War mechanics to their game I found some issues.
Some of the jumping felt a little floaty, the aiming felt a little looser than Gears of War(only comparing this since Naughty Dog insisted on copying a lot of mechanics from the game), and there some issues with graphics and screen tearing. Also I found it annoying that enemies just come out and ambush you from random places which is okay but a little annoying. To me this feels like a combination of the exploration of Tomb Raider and the combat of Gears of War.

I personally don't think I will get this at 60 dollars though I think I will when it drops down to a cheaper price.

Edit: The sixaxis implementation is okay like I said you adjust the grenade throwing distance with it and it also serves as balancing drake while walking through things such as logs or other tight narrow or rounded walkways.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:02:26 AM »
1.  Sixaxis still sucks.  No matter how they try to implement this feature it always fails for me.  I can't stand it.

2.  PSN still sucks.  It took me 3 hours OR MORE to download this freaking demo.  I don't know why I have such a bad connection with PSN, as my Xbox Live connection is always very fast.  Anyone else have this problem?

3.  That out of the way, the graphics are great, the intro movie was cool, and the gameplay for the most part was good.  However, it never really felt natural for me when I jumped onto a ledge, he just kind of "floats" up it instead of feeling like he actually is landing and climbing.  I like the shooting and what not, but not so much the hand to hand combat, as it seemed a bit random, but maybe I just didn't get the timing down right.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 07:07:53 AM »
Well maverick im sure PSN got bombarded due to everybody trying to Download this demo and it was 1.2GB. When I had XBL I had similar speeds, the only think I don't like about the PSN store is its interface but thats about it. And I still think that sixaxis is an after thought even with that in mind some developers do implement it in a good way.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:28:16 AM »
What developers have implemented the sixaxis it in a good way? Every game I've tried it in a game, it is beyond suckage. Also I hate the PSN interface as well.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:47:46 AM »
Darn it. When I seen the thread title I'd hoped this meant there was going to be a new "Uncharted Waters" game by Koei.

I loved those games on my SNES.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:45:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Maverick
1.  Sixaxis still sucks.  No matter how they try to implement this feature it always fails for me.  I can't stand it.

2.  PSN still sucks.  It took me 3 hours OR MORE to download this freaking demo.  I don't know why I have such a bad connection with PSN, as my Xbox Live connection is always very fast.  Anyone else have this problem?

3.  That out of the way, the graphics are great, the intro movie was cool, and the gameplay for the most part was good.  However, it never really felt natural for me when I jumped onto a ledge, he just kind of "floats" up it instead of feeling like he actually is landing and climbing.  I like the shooting and what not, but not so much the hand to hand combat, as it seemed a bit random, but maybe I just didn't get the timing down right.

I haven't played the Demo yet but on the download I got it in less then an hour.  I'll probably play it to night and give a mention on where I liked it or not.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost
Darn it. When I seen the thread title I'd hoped this meant there was going to be a new "Uncharted Waters" game by Koei.

I loved those games on my SNES.

Those games kicked my butt... but I loved them too... they were sort of an Oblivion of the seas!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
"and screen tearing"

That is inexcusable.

This game gets 11/10.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 05:34:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
"and screen tearing"

That is inexcusable.

This game gets 11/10.

and you get a -1/-infinite

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »
I played the demo.  This game would be much better if there was 2 things:

1. A lock on.
2. If I could consistently see people who should be in plain sight.

How they do cover is a little flawed on the gunplay side.  Its super hard to pop out and shoot.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis

Isn't that like = to a big positive number? *checks* It is, PRO666 is rated +infinity.

I was watching some recent videos for this game, it seems good in regards to audio and video, but the AI is really sloppy, i.e. Drake came from behind on this enemy that was covering at a crouch level, he used his shotgun at close range (1 foot away), missed the shot and the enemy stays in the same spot while it still thinks that Drake was somewhere else, another example, Drake throws a grenade, the enemies see it but they apparently really want to die instead of throwing it back or at least getting some cover.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 02:23:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

Isn't that like = to a big positive number? *checks* It is, PRO666 is rated +infinity.

I was watching some recent videos for this game, it seems good in regards to audio and video, but the AI is really sloppy, i.e. Drake came from behind on this enemy that was covering at a crouch level, he used his shotgun at close range (1 foot away), missed the shot and the enemy stays in the same spot while it still thinks that Drake was somewhere else, another example, Drake throws a grenade, the enemies see it but they apparently really want to die instead of throwing it back or at least getting some cover.

Sounds like yet another sloppy PS3 game that will not meet the hype, and is focused on visuals instead of gameplay.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 12:44:15 AM »
Well if you read my impressions about the demo what turned me off was the naughty dog copied and pasted ALL of the gears of wars combat down to every button press and every mechanic.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
What a crappy uninspired game. I was hopeful when I first started the demo that it was going to be pretty unique but once I met my first group of bad guys things went downhill fast. The game is a complete rip off of Gears of War, except it forgot some of its AI and more importantly its FUN along the way. The game is nothing more than a shoot em up with some platforming. Yeah it is has good visuals, but beyond that, the game is extremely shallow, not to mention I swear the hit detection is crappy (I don't even believe it matters if you shoot someone in the head or not). There is absolutely nothing from the demo that indicates this game is even unique in any way, and that is disappointing.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
GP you just read my mind, the only game in interested in getting for my PS3 when its a little cheaper is Folklore now thats a game that looks inspired and awesome.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »

GP you just read my mind, the only game in interested in getting for my PS3 when its a little cheaper is Folklore now thats a game that looks inspired and awesome.

I definately want to play Folklore!  

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »

Lost Kingdoms says hello
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »
Yes but didn't lost king have cards?

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 05:50:15 AM »
So the IGN review said "Drake's Fortune is the most fun I've had in a videogame this year."

LOLZ

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »

So the IGN review said "Drake's Fortune is the most fun I've had in a videogame this year."

LOLZ

That's the reviewers opinion. What's wrong with that?
My Wii Code:

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »
That it's a decent game but there were so many other great releases this year that the prospect is ridiculous.  Unless of course he didn't play those great games.  Of course it could also mean he just has poor taste.  And yes, I am saying that if you have a differing opinion than mine you have poor taste.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 06:26:31 AM »

I am saying that if you have a differing opinion than mine you have poor taste.

you showed me!
My Wii Code:

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »
That review didn't seem to justify such high praise, they had way too many complaints, some of which were key to the gameplay (such as the gun fights).