Author Topic: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail  (Read 24398 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »
Does it play much differently then the Demo Pale?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 02:35:37 PM »
Not overall, but like I said, what makes it so good is the story and pacing that goes along with the proven (if not stolen) gameplay mechanics.

The demo doesn't do that part justice.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:46 PM »
Getting defensive are we?  I'm not blindly bashing anything, I've played a pretty decent clip of the game and my opinion still stands on it. 

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Not really defensive.  Just comparing it to Zelda amazed me as it doesn't really have anything to do with Zelda...which made me wonder if you had played it.  :)

Now if you wanted to say Prince of Persia merged with Gears of War, I'd get behind that argument but I still claim that the movie like pacing is something that hasn't been done in games very much, and thus makes it worth playing.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:02 PM »
Not really defensive.  Just comparing it to Zelda amazed me as it doesn't really have anything to do with Zelda...which made me wonder if you had played it.  :)

Now if you wanted to say Prince of Persia merged with Gears of War, I'd get behind that argument but I still claim that the movie like pacing is something that hasn't been done in games very much, and thus makes it worth playing.

Call of Duty 4 has movie like pacing, in fact a few games do on the PC. Regardless I will probably rent it sometime in the future, but the demo did NOT impress me at all.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
Blind bashing of games always amazes me.  Have either of you played more than the demo?  Sheesh.  It's a great game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2980-Zero-Punctuation-Uncharted-Drake-s-Fortune
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »
Heh, you are going to let Yahtzee saying a game sucks convince you that it sucks?

There's a scale for him you know... just saying parts are bad and other parts are good means it's a great game.  ;)

PS: I haven't watched his Uncharted one yet because I heard there are spoilers.  That's based on what someone told me was his basic opinion.
---------------------

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
I like the racism jokes.

EDIT:  3/6/08

I just picked this game up yesterday, and I'm having a blast with it.  Definitely worth the purchase.  It's beautiful to look at, the platforming is fun, and I'm loving the story.

My only complaint so far is that sometimes I think they go too far with the combat sequences.  I like it when I have short encounters with a few combatants, rather than epic three wave confrontations with 5+ guys at a time.  For some reason it just drags me down to have to stop exploring the levels for ten minutes to fight off the mercenaries.  Or maybe it's just 'cause I can't aim worth a **** on the PS3 controller.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:41:20 PM by Maverick »
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:34 PM »
Whoa, I had no idea SMF gives you the NEW tag if someone only edits a post.

Awesome.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »
Hey, that is pretty cool.  Now everyone can follow my glorious example and not double post.   8)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »
Whoa, I had no idea SMF gives you the NEW tag if someone only edits a post.

It doesn't.  I've been editing this post every week and it doesn't ever get a NEW tag.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »
So I guess they released the update for Trophy support.  Unfortunately no retroactive trophies, so if you want them you have to replay the game.  Which is double sux since the trophies are exactly the same as the in-game "medals".  Kind of bullshit, but if you've been wanting to replay this pretty good game, but were just looking for some motivation, and if you're an achievement whore, now's your chance.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
I'm all over this.  It gives me an excuse to play through it on Hard, which I don't mind.  Besides, it isn't that much more difficult than Normal; there's not as much ammo and the enemies are a little more aggressive, but it's not a big deal.

I just glad they went back and did it.  Warhawk is going to have a patch too, but they're going to count the awards you already have.  Naughty Dog didn't do it because they were worried about people using existing saved games to cheat or something.

Great game though, one of the top 5 for PS3 easily.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
I really don't understand why they're worried about people downloading save games to "cheat" for Trophies.  Who gives a ****?  They're utterly meaningless other than for use as e-penis size contests.  Let the people who don't "cheat" get their retroactive trophies, and if other people are inclined to "cheat" in order to wave around their huge gamer scores, who cares?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
You know how it is, man.  People start bitching about cheaters and then you have a PR ****-storm on your hands.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »
Great game though, one of the top 5 for PS3 easily.

WOW what an accomplishment! ;)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »
I know that having played the demo isn't saying much, but I wasn't impressed.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2008, 12:24:26 AM »
The demo did its job:  convinced people not to buy it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't impressed much with the demo either.  But eventually I caved in and I enjoyed it a lot.  Not a "BEST GAME EVER ZOMG!" but still a very good game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2008, 04:12:44 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't impressed much with the demo either.  But eventually I caved in and I enjoyed it a lot.  Not a "BEST GAME EVER ZOMG!" but still a very good game.

I've only played the demo and was far from impressed. It felt to me like Gears of War in the jungle complete with conveniently placed barriers and never ending droves of generic humans (at least Gears of Wars had interesting character design). If the game is different from the demo in design and variety then I think Sony did a horrendous job with the demo which should get people INTERESTED in the game! I'm still waiting for a price drop though so I can maybe pick it up, because I thought the same thing about Heavenly Sword's demo and ended up loving the game.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2008, 04:17:23 AM »
There are a lot of interesting environments throughout the game The abandoned Sub is amazing but as I mentioned above, I became bored with the combat over time as it was just the same thing over and over, and the fights would carry on too long at times, I felt.

My favorite parts of the game were exploring and platforming.  Unfortunately they chose to focus on combat more so that those, but there was still plenty of it.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
There are some parts of the game that drag, for sure.  There are times when you just have wave after wave of enemies for no real purpose.  But I loved the story, and other than the couple of areas where I thought the combat dragged on, I thought it was great.  Really good characters, really good script, amazing graphics, and a legitimate action-movie feel.  It's Romancing the Stone-ish, a type of game that you just don't see on consoles that often.  I thought it was a refreshing change of pace.

And it wasn't like Gears of War at all.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
Just played this demo yesterday.  It sounds like my major gripe is in the game quite a bit, the droves of endless pirates.  I really dug the characters and environment, but I'm not sure I can take blasting so many pirates.  Perhaps I'll pick it up though if I catch a good deal.  I'm pretty curious to see how the story plays out....
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
The draw with Uncharted is the amazing graphics, likeable characters, and great story.  It really is like playing through Romancing the Stone or one of those over-the-top 80's adventure movies.

At this point I wouldn't pay full price; I'm sure it'll be a GH title soon.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »
Yep it's greatest hits pricing here and for such a price it was well worth it. Yep at times the waves of pirates can get frustrating but the overall game quality is high enough that it doesn't significantly detract from the experience.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€