Author Topic: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail  (Read 24415 times)

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke

Originally posted by: Maverick
I am saying that if you have a differing opinion than mine you have poor taste.

you showed me!

I hope you learned your lesson.  :-P  
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »
Adopting the Maverick philosophy anyone who doesn't like Caffiene Free Mountain Dew and Caffiene Free Coke has poor taste.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Adopting the Maverick philosophy anyone who doesn't like Caffiene Free Mountain Dew and Caffiene Free Coke has poor taste.

Those should be illeagal...
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 07:54:18 AM »
So I just played it.  It's interesting to read about how it's so similar to gears of war.  I've never even watched someone play Gears, but Uncharted is definitely the most impressive and interesting PS3 game I've played yet.

Some of the graphical touches are just awesome.  The main characters feet adjust to odd terrain.  The motion blur when you spin the camera.  The cover system.  It was all really really cool.  It's obvious I should explore this genre a little more, but I have to say that the Indiana Jones setting of Uncharted blows the doors off the bulked up football player combat setting of Gears.

I may have to pick this up sometime after Christmas... maybe play it between then and Brawl.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 05:57:38 AM »
Well I played a couple hours of the full game this morning and I can definatly say that the demo doesn't do the final game justice.   It's still the same great game but the story is just fantastic.  It's definately a toss up between uncharted and ratchet and clank for best exclusive PS3 game right now.
My Wii Code:

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 06:03:32 AM »

Well I played a couple hours of the full game this morning and I can definatly say that the demo doesn't do the final game justice.   It's still the same great game but the story is just fantastic.  It's definately a toss up between uncharted and ratchet and clank for best exclusive PS3 game right now.

So the gameplay still is Gears of War ripoff lite? No thanks, I'll pass.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 06:05:29 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

You're such a meanie GP. Look, they took out the bald space marine from uncharted just to please you and STILL you turn your nose up! How unfair! &<
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 06:20:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

You're such a meanie GP. Look, they took out the bald space marine from uncharted just to please you and STILL you turn your nose up! How unfair! &<

Looks like they took out the fun as well, if the demo was any indication.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the way the character moves. To me it felt like he floats/slides along the ground. I agree there needs to be a lock on or something. I kept pulling up the crosshairs to hit the baddies.

One thing I liked was the hand-to-hand. There needed to be more opportunities in the demo. That's a definite improvement over Gears.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 03:00:47 AM »
GP, you have taken over from Pro666 as the most negative person on the forum, congrats!
My Wii Code:

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 05:54:08 AM »

Originally posted by: bustin98
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the way the character moves. To me it felt like he floats/slides along the ground.

...it never really felt natural for me when I jumped onto a ledge, he just kind of "floats" up it instead of feeling like he actually is landing and climbing.

;-)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »

GP, you have taken over from Pro666 as the most negative person on the forum, congrats!

I'm just negative against rip off clones of another system. This game is obnoxiously obvious that it is based fully off Gears of War, but in a jungle setting with boring people enemies. It is NOTHING compared to Ratchet and Clank which I feel is a great PS3 game, and it isn't even as good as Heavenly Sword which I really enjoyed it.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 10:39:29 AM »
I don't mind clones all that much, as long as they're still fun.  Drake looks like a fun title with a cool story and characters that I will happily pick up at a later date (and hopefully at a cheaper price).  If I took an anti-clone stance, I would have never played Nox (Diablo clone), which I still love to this day.

As long as it's fun and keeps me interested I'm all for it, even if it does play almost identically to Gears Of War.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »

I don't mind clones all that much, as long as they're still fun.  Drake looks like a fun title with a cool story and characters that I will happily pick up at a later date (and hopefully at a cheaper price).  If I took an anti-clone stance, I would have never played Nox (Diablo clone), which I still love to this day.

As long as it's fun and keeps me interested I'm all for it, even if it does play almost identically to Gears Of War.

I'd agree, except I find it vastly LESS fun than Gears of War.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »
Hehe, well judging from the demo, I am inclined to agree.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 06:52:02 AM »

...Pro666 as the most negative person on the forum...

He's not negative. He just likes to make fun out of our little whiney comments/complaints.

Oh and GP isn't negative either, believe it!

Nobody in this forum is negative...there.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 06:58:19 AM »

I'm just negative against rip off clones of another system. This game is obnoxiously obvious that it is based fully off Gears of War, but in a jungle setting with boring people enemies. It is NOTHING compared to Ratchet and Clank which I feel is a great PS3 game, and it isn't even as good as Heavenly Sword which I really enjoyed it.

I hate to break it to you but you can't make a game anymore these days without having similarities to another game. Gears of War isn't even all that original.  I've played Gears and i've played Uncharted and they are completely different other than a few shooting mechanics.  I guess you just don't get uncharted and that fine but let the people who enjoyed the game and want to chat about it post in this thread.  Leave your negativity at the door.
My Wii Code:

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2007, 03:40:09 AM »
Ryan, I think we established that this game has a few similarities to Gears of War but! 90% of the combat scheme is a carbon copy of gear of war.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2007, 07:01:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
Ryan, I think we established that this game has a few similarities to Gears of War but! 90% of the combat scheme is a carbon copy of gear of war.

That's a fair statement. Sorry, I get a little fired up.  I guess that makes me an Uncharted fanboy
My Wii Code:

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »
hah gears of war is just a ripoff of Winback on n64! That being said I loved Gears of War...there should be more games like it!
I just bought the game, but i wont get to play it till the Jan/2nd or 3rd. I got it for my brothers ps3 for his xmas present.  

After Mario came out wasn't 90% of games thereafter based on its gameplay? More games should have Zelda gameplay. Portal was great, it was like a cross between Zelda and a shooter. In Zelda you get one weopon with some crazy game mechanic per level. As levels progress yuu have to mix them.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Demo and Retail
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:40 PM »
So I'm bumping because I just started playing the retail copy of this game.

Overall I think it's really interesting.  Now, I've never played Gears of War, but I feel like the shooting (which is what everyone in this thread claims is the rip off portion) is not the primary part of the game.  It feels closer to PoP to me than that.

The amazing part of the game is the pacing.  I've never played a game that is paced so much like a movie.  It's quite strange.  I can't decide if I prefer it or not, but the story is moving extremely quickly.

I'm definitely gonna finish this thing off quickly, as I'm craving to play it, so I'll keep putting my opinions in here.  =P  Has anyone else played the retail?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
For creepes sake, more games DO NOT need to be like Zelda, there's too many of them out there right now as it is.  My problem with Uncharted is the fact that it's exactly that mixed with Gears of War.  That, and everything STILL looks way too unrealistic and shiny.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
That's the HD revolution.  It's what you wanted, right?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
Can't say I would have.  It's like they're now pushing certain visual effects and themes just so it's in there like it is with everything else.  Oh wait, that's been the industry since it started...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »
Blind bashing of games always amazes me.  Have either of you played more than the demo?  Sheesh.  It's a great game.  Yes it doesn't bring a ton of great new concepts in terms of game mechanics, but the movie style pacing, over-the-top acting by the characters, and visual environments are top notch.
---------------------