Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 347971 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
The Samus model is different than last time.  It actually looks more like Retro's Samus and it is a very detailed and nice model.

Interesting that no mention of Samus turning into Zero Suit Samus.  So either they decided to keep that a secret, or perhaps seperate the characters into two distinct characters.  

Speaking of which anyone want to guess how Samus changes?  From the video it seems like a sacrifice to making a Final Smash Attack, but perhaps it is a sacrifice to making a fully charged Blast from her arm cannon.  If this is true, perhaps you have more options with the arm cannon.  regular, fully charged blast, Mega charged blast, that turns you into Zero suit Samus?

Personally I am hoping for two completely different characters now.

Also does the picture of her attacking Link look like a redesign of her flame thrower attack?  I loved that attack in Smash Bros, but can't remember if it was in Melee or not.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Looking at the Melee and Brawl Samus models side-by-side just now makes me realize what a horrible model the Melee one was... =3

(And yes, the flamethrower attack is in Melee...Not sure if what we are seeing in that screen is it, though...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
I still think tha the 2 Samus's are seperate chracters.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Considering the old Smash Brothers site directly stated the tie between the two characters (Zero Suit Samus appears under "certain conditions" while playing as Samus), that isn't very likely...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I just hope those conditions aren't to extreme.  So that if you want here you can get her quickly.  Maybe even a choice to start out with no suit or better yet let Samus have Multiple different suits.  Which would be to form for the character.  Also the model is hottness.  Anyone else notice that they kept the little green things in the black area of her shoulder units?

On the crates, I was thinking that if you cant just walk through them anymore maybe they'll let you dodge through them.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
I just think that Zero Suit Samus and regular Samus seem to be completely different in terms of control, power, etc.  It would be awkward to add this new facet to Samus, rather than just making her a seperate character (or alternate costume/control option).  With Zleda/Shiek at least you could switch back at will, but if some of the forum contributer's theories are correct, then mid-way through battle Samus uses the Final Smash item, and now she's essentially a different character for the rest of the battle?  That seems really off to me.  That turns this game into Bloody Roar or something.  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Considering the old Smash Brothers site directly stated the tie between the two characters (Zero Suit Samus appears under "certain conditions" while playing as Samus), that isn't very likely...
Yeah ... the "certain condition" is when you choose Zero Suit Samus from the character selection menu.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Samus is lookin' good.  It looks like they're still sticking with a Super Metroid look (with a few of Retro's added green lights), only now her suit looks metallic instead of plastic.
GOREGASM!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Today's update is Links Final Smash, Triforce Slash which looks pretty sweet too.  Of course I can't wait until Sakurai finally shows us how Kirby's Final Smash will work with the whole becoming Cook Kirby and all.  I'm sure that update is going to be quite entertaining.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
Sounds like you could easily foul up and miss on his final smash and that if you connect such that they hit a wall as they go flying (ie: prior great fox levels) that you can be saved.

Makes sense to me...  

So from that I'm guessing:
Link: Power hitter, has a focused attack that does damage and sends you flying with little to save you.
Mario: Balanced hitter, has a more sweeping attack that does a good amount of damage and causes each player to careen a bit
Kirby: Speed hitter, has a attack that may do a good amount of damage to a large area but doesn't send you flying much at all.

Just a thought and nothing more than speculation.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
I think Link will have a random element to how many slashes and how powerful they are.  It seems to indicate that Link's attack starts as soon as you touch the Smash Ball but that could be wording.  Though I've fairly sure it will be only 1 character who will be damaged and I doubt you can dodge, as in the move, it.  Maybe get out of the way but I feel he'll go till he gets something.  Key word something.  So you could get a crate and do it to that by mistake.  Be an interesting dynamic.

Though now we have an answer on the question whether Link or the Triforce was doing the damage.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I think he already said that you don't use the final smash right away. Also, in the explanation, he says 'enemies' which is plural. However, this is the 2nd time we've seen the move and it's only been used on one person.

As for Kirby's final smash, he should regain %. In Kirby Superstar, the cook power turned your enemies in to food, so it makes sense. But there's still the question of how much damage it will do to your opponents, and  how many will be damaged.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit
With Zleda/Shiek at least you could switch back at will, but if some of the forum contributer's theories are correct, then mid-way through battle Samus uses the Final Smash item, and now she's essentially a different character for the rest of the battle?

Thought: perhaps don't use her Final Smash then if you don't want to change playstyles?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Perhaps another Thought.  Samus can have two actual final Smashes.

As Zero Suit Samus her Final Smash charges herself back up to become armored Samus.  And As Samus it is the big blast.

Or another thought is we are all wrong and it is simply a switch like Zelda and Shiek transformation.  It would help Samus to be able to switch to a fast nimble close range fighter with little to no range attacks when the situation calls for it...and then switch back when she needs to an armored range fighter.  

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Perhaps another Thought.  Samus can have two actual final Smashes.

As Zero Suit Samus her Final Smash charges herself back up to become armored Samus.  And As Samus it is the big blast.

Or another thought is we are all wrong and it is simply a switch like Zelda and Shiek transformation.  It would help Samus to be able to switch to a fast nimble close range fighter with little to no range attacks when the situation calls for it...and then switch back when she needs to an armored range fighter.

Perhaps ZSS's final smash is the Crystal Flash from Super Metroid, that would make sense for a move that reforms the Chozo Armor. If you don't know what I am talking about just look up Crystal Flash on youtube (I cannot remember if linking to a youtube video is against TOS).
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
I really believe that Samus is going to be split into 2 characters.

For starters, why call her a "newcomer" if the character isn't going to be a new character?  If it was just a modification to Samus, why give the distinction "newcomer".  But I hear you say "on the old dojo site it said 'under certain conditions'".  Yeah?  So what?  To me, it seems like that is more of a back story than gameplay detail.

Secondly, consider this (my biggest piece of evidence saying they are indeed two characters), ZSS has a pistol/whip.  AKA, multiple playstyles already built in.  Why would ZSS get not only two different fighting methods, but armored Samus's fight style as well?  Sheesh.  We need separation here folks.  

For me personally, I thought it was cool that Zelda and Sheik could go back and forth, but I never used it.  I always held 'A' before the match, and played as Sheik.  I didn't like playing as either character though because I lost the opportunity to have a down A with both of them.  I felt like I was missing a move, rather than being excited I had a different character/playstyle available.  If they do this to Samus (a crowd favorite) I'm going to be seriously annoyed.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Matt you indirectly helped me think of another way a "certain condition" Zero Suit Samus can be used.

What if you must unlock her.  In that when playing single player mode you must defeat Samus in a certain means to get her to shed her suit, and become a newcomer you must defeat to unlock her.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
Poor Wario

Honestly can't wait until they get to talking about Kirby's Final Smash...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile

For starters, why call her a "newcomer" if the character isn't going to be a new character? If it was just a modification to Samus, why give the distinction "newcomer". But I hear you say "on the old dojo site it said 'under certain conditions'". Yeah? So what? To me, it seems like that is more of a back story than gameplay detail.

Keep in mind that on the  Japanese SSBM site Zelda and Shiek were treated as different characters, maybe ZSS is being treated the same way, because being treated as a separate character would make her a newcomer. Regarding the old Dojo site having that "under certain conditions" remark, if I remember correctly (does anybody have the original text somewhere?) it was a pretty clear hint at ZSS being a transformation of Samus, not just some piece of back story. Combining that remark with the fact that the first trailer clearly shows her going from Armored Samus to ZSS, gives me the strong impression that  Samus now has a transformation (because if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...).

Secondly, consider this (my biggest piece of evidence saying they are indeed two characters), ZSS has a pistol/whip. AKA, multiple playstyles already built in. Why would ZSS get not only two different fighting methods, but armored Samus's fight style as well? Sheesh. We need separation here folks.

Just because she is equipped with a multi-function weapons does not mean that she has two move sets, that would be like saying Link will have four move sets (Sword, Boomerang, Bomb, and Bow) or, more aptly, that Pit has up to three with his variable use bow (Bow, duel blades, and as one picture shows: the blades combined as the bow but with the blades facing different directions). In fact we have only seen the whip once and that is all, for all we know it could just be like Shiek's chain or part of a combo special attack like Marth's forward B. Even if it were to be used in her A button attacks it is not like the gun could not change forms speedily. The only thing that even remotely gives the impression that two move sets exist is the part in the second trailer where Samus is fiddling with the gun; changing it between modes, but for all we know that could just be an idling animation or appeal/taunt.

For me personally, I thought it was cool that Zelda and Sheik could go back and forth, but I never used it. I always held 'A' before the match, and played as Sheik. I didn't like playing as either character though because I lost the opportunity to have a down A with both of them. I felt like I was missing a move, rather than being excited I had a different character/playstyle available. If they do this to Samus (a crowd favorite) I'm going to be seriously annoyed.

One could say that even though Zelda and Shiek did each loose a down+B, as a combined character they actually got six distinct moves (seven if you count the transformation as a move) which is two more than any other character, not to mention the entirely new set of A moves. Just because you don't like to transform does not mean that others did not take full advantage of, and enjoy using, the larger move set. This is only problematic if Samus does in fact lose one of her moves to have a transformation (if she does indeed transform), but like it has been discussed before though the transformation could come from the use of the SSA (this method though could become problematic if the current theory of the SSA item only coming around once a match is true). The transformation could be done by pressing both A and B together, or B and guard together, or some other method that we have not even thought of all of which would allow her to keep all her current moves. As a Samus player, I would love to have a transformation as part of her arsenal, but that is just me.

In closing I would just like to say that we (unless someone here is privy to information that no one else is)really do not know for sure either way if she is a transformation character or not, and we probably wont know until a ZSS update occurs, and even then it might not tell us what we want to know (if a ZSS update does occur and it says nothing about transformation though I would concede that they are probably separate, but even then there would still be a chance they could be holding that info till later). Which ever happens though, I actualy think that it would be better to assume that they are separate, and being surprised when they are, then to assume ZSS is a transformation and be bummed out (at least I would be) when it turns out she is not.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Pikachu's Final Smash: Volt Tackle

Hunt them! Hunt them down!
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Hunt them! Hunt them down!

I'm thinking Sakurai is hilarious to be around.  The quotes all over the site are great.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
Hey, my pikachu never learned volt tackle!

Considering the move caries recoil in the games and their hints on the site... Pikachu probably suffers from a daze/exhastion after using it.  Hence it it runs out (aka cancelled) over a pit well.... bon voyage

Offline Shecky

• View Profile

Originally posted by: anubis6789

Combining that remark with the fact that the first trailer clearly shows her going from Armored Samus to ZSS, gives me the strong impression that  Samus now has a transformation (because if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...).

So where is Zelda's harp from the first trailer for SSBM?  I think the trailer was just part of show and isn't gameplay, so why associate them?

Clearly both arguments are user speculation untill they spell it out... and even then it could be spelled out to intentionally mislead (to keep you guessing all the way to November of 2008, bwahaha).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Well Mario and Link clearly used their Final Smashes in the trailer (and I'm betting Kirby's is the cooking pot, and Wario's is the gas cloud, etc.), so I don't think it is all that off-base to assume that Samus used hers as well...

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
yes, but the suit thing may have just been a clever segway to introduce a new character and not the condition...  (aka people reading into it... claiming "facts"... etc)

It's ok to speculate, but don't go pointing to those movies as facts to try and discredit other speculation