Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 348063 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Well today's update is 100% new information.

Pikachu has a pretty awesome final Smash, and information leads us to speculate what they mean by canceling the attack.

Most likely it means that you can manually cancel Pikachu's attack in the middle, but perhaps you lose the ability to jump again until you hit the ground.  The move sounds quite powerful, but also quite dangerous because of its speed.

I do wonder if there is perhaps other ways to cancel Final Smash's now.  Can you throw an object and hit Pikachu to stop it?  Or sneak behind Mario during the attack and Smash him?  This is an important question because it goes to the very balance of Final Smashes and can be great information nugget in this entry.

With the Samus transformation.  I really like the idea of the final smash triggering the transformation.  It is kinda a cool sacrifice for the use of a probably very powerful attack.  And I love the idea of Zero Suit Samus using that Crystal Flash to regain her suit.  It could hurt people that touch it.  

Speaking of changing Samus up some.  I would love for Samus to get an upgrade on her bombs...to where they are sorta like mini power bombs, with a bigger area blast than her smaller bombs, but nothing like real powe bombs.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
On the Pikachu Final Smash, it looks to be an extension of his Quick Attack move.  I'm a little wary about controlling something like that myself.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
I think I'm not going to bother with checking these updates anymore.

I don't mean to be a downer here, but all I really care about is new characters and I don't think they're going to reveal those with these mini-updates.

I basically burned myself out on anticipation for Melee and that didn't help me in the long run at all.

Don't get me wrong, it's GOOD that Sakurai's doing this, but for me, this is a small disappointment every day that a new character had the chance to be announced but wasn't.

I'll just wait for Pap to call me at 3AM some morning to tell me that we've finally seen some REAL news out of one of these.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Me: SB! SB! SB!

SB: What?

Me: The SSB site! They updated on something incredible!

SB: REALLY? What is it man? TELL ME!!

Me: They finally made an update on...

SB: Yes????

Me: ....Wario's ass. The entry was double length. They mention how they had a big staff of 3D modelers, texture artists and programmers working day and night just so they can get the mass and movement of his ass just right, especially when he performs his final smash. They went as far as to create a separate engine just for his ass! It's great!

SB: ...F*ck you, Pap  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
That is EXACTLY how I expect it to go down.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
They'll reveal Snake at E3 2008, don't worry.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
With the Samus transformation.  I really like the idea of the final smash triggering the transformation.

I don't.  It seems to me like it would make ZSS into a just a curiosity that you rarely get to actually play as rather than a real new character.
GOREGASM!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
I still don't see how are they balancing things, mario smash seems awfully powerful compared to all the others. Anyway, I really want skull kid with a final smash that invokes a maniac moon and destroys the whole stage, it won't happen though

What will happen is Tingle, I have faith, with an awesome Koolo Limpah final smash of confetti death, if theres one game where something like that would make any sense is this one.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
That's fine, cuz then they can save roster space for characters that matter.  Other than Sonic.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: mantidor
I still don't see how are they balancing things, mario smash seems awfully powerful compared to all the others.

It covers more area, but it probably does less damage. Sounds fair to me.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Shecky

Originally posted by: anubis6789

Combining that remark with the fact that the first trailer clearly shows her going from Armored Samus to ZSS, gives me the strong impression that  Samus now has a transformation (because if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...).

So where is Zelda's harp from the first trailer for SSBM?  I think the trailer was just part of show and isn't gameplay, so why associate them?

Clearly both arguments are user speculation untill they spell it out... and even then it could be spelled out to intentionally mislead (to keep you guessing all the way to November of 2008, bwahaha).

Originally posted by: Shecky

yes, but the suit thing may have just been a clever segway to introduce a new character and not the condition...  (aka people reading into it... claiming "facts"... etc)

It's ok to speculate, but don't go pointing to those movies as facts to try and discredit other speculation

First off, I would just like to say that the transformation in the trailer means nothing alone, but when combined (thus the reason I started that statement off with "Combining") with the statement that I remember being on the original Smash Dojo website, not to mention that Sakurai said something to the effect of ZSS being a transformation of Samus in an interview, which I cannot find/ to lazy to go find (take your pick), pretty much makes  it a solid bet.

I would also like to add that it was said after the original trailer that Armored Samus was indeed still a playable character, yet she did not show up at all in the second trailer, nor was her portrait placed along side the rest of the confirmed characters at the end of the second trailer. To me this says they are the same character.

I would like to say that I never said that it was absolutely correct with my assumption that ZSS is a transformation. I would also like to say that I never meant to come off like I was trying to discredit MattVDB, and if I came as rude or obnoxious then I am sorry, but this is a discussion board and sharing ideas is part of discussion.

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
With the Samus transformation.  I really like the idea of the final smash triggering the transformation.

I don't.  It seems to me like it would make ZSS into a just a curiosity that you rarely get to actually play as rather than a real new character.

She would not be a curiosity if they allow you to hold a button down before a match to start off as ZSS, kind of like what they did when you would want to start off as Shiek in SSBM.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile

She would not be a curiosity if they allow you to hold a button down before a match to start off as ZSS, kind of like what they did when you would want to start off as Shiek in SSBM.

That'd be okay.  It'd let ZSS see some more action without copying Zelda/Shiek's distinguishing tranform anytime in the match characteristic or replacing Samus' bombs.  Though in that case I don't see why they wouldn't just make them seperately selectable characters.  
GOREGASM!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Zero Suit Samus.  Its seems that the Internet Archives aren't going to bring back Smash Bros site because of how they set that up.  Lucky for us that IGN quotes any update like that verbatim or at least did in the case of Zero Suit Samus.

Zero Suit Art: Detail
Zero Suit Art: Cute

Now I just need a picture of O-Suit Samus again and how do I get that in the game... :p

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
Wow, thanks Ceric, reading that text again just reaffirms my position that ZSS is a transformation.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
"Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit."

That says transformation to you?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Confirmed: Samus Strips in S2B2

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
Not alone, but when combined with the statement "This isn't a pure character addition" it does.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Hope Samus has a secondary transformation and takes off the Zero Suit.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
Motion to start Birthday Suit Samus petition.
GOREGASM!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile

I would like to say that I never said that it was absolutely correct with my assumption that ZSS is a transformation. I would also like to say that I never meant to come off like I was trying to discredit MattVDB, and if I came as rude or obnoxious then I am sorry, but this is a discussion board and sharing ideas is part of discussion.

Well that wasn't particularly directed at any one person.  More of just a general observation on how often times discussion on speculation can turn to "factual" arguments.  With comments sometimes that litterally say "you wrong, it's got to be like this!".  It might be in the end or it might not.  The developers might even change how or when you can play as ZSS as the game's development continues.

Another example... if one of the special moves doesn't match up with a move that had been stated on the SSMB brawl website, I guarantee that there will be people who cry foul

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I hope Samus and Zero Suit Samus are completely separate selectable characters. If Final Smash triggers the transformation, I don't want to be minus 1 character whenever I choose to turn items off. She becomes more of a novelty addition at that point.

And speaking of Samus, I wish her charged beam was smaller and weaker. Making it faster to charge would balance that out. A charged shot was a bit too powerful in the first 2 games, it's fast, large and causes like 25% damage which could easily KO most characters at around 100% damage. Samus already has several finishers. Also, her missile should be weaker and faster. I never understood why she strikes a pose before firing one. Homing missiles were also pretty lame.  

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile

Not alone, but when combined with the statement "This isn't a pure character addition" it does.

Both of those combined make it much easier to think that it means she transforms when she does her Final Smash.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Both of those combined make it much easier to think that it means she transforms when she does her Final Smash.

That is what I am saying.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Wario time...Now all that's left to go is Metaknight, ZSS, and Snake...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~